PDA

View Full Version : 9:50 pm "Everything that has a beginning has an end!" Maxtrix: Revolutions

Ka' el Darcverse
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:08:32 AM
Matrix:Revolutions 9:50 pm, tickets in my pocket. I'm so pumped I can't even see straight. Wo0t!

JediBoricua
Nov 5th, 2003, 01:01:28 PM
I think is going to suck...

Look at the RT scores:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheMatrixRevolutions-1127201/

ReaperFett
Nov 5th, 2003, 01:53:36 PM
24-39 is hardly conclusive.

Mortaniuss
Nov 5th, 2003, 03:57:10 PM
I'm still debating whether or not to bother trying to see it today. I don't get out of class until late evening, I have work I need to do, and I'd rather not go by myself. Especially if it turns out to be the mediocre turdfest that the second movie was.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:02:27 PM
And even the good reviews are pretty bleh. Lots of special effects, not much else and weak ending.

Nah, this'll be one to see on DVD. Maybe. I havent even bothered with M:Reloaded DVD, it just doesnt appeal to me.

* sigh *

and I was such a fanboy of The Matrix too :/

Abagael Zellan
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:04:41 PM
Matrix:Revolutions 9:50 pm, tickets in my pocket.

Have fun! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I find that with big movies like this I get too excited and turn into a madwoman at the boxoffice so I'm going to wait until the hype is not so big.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:05:50 PM
I know a couple of fanboys, but they're holding back until Saturday, to check it out at one of the larger cinema's in the city - for the 'full Matrix effect' - so I'll probably go with them then :)

Rognan Dar
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:37:05 PM
Well, personaly I liked the movie. The story was a little shaky, and the ending was a disapointment, but they did leave it open for them to make another moive (if they so desire). It looked GREAT! The details and all that stuff was sweet. Though the Neo vs. Smith fight was, I think, a little over done.

Pierce Tondry
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:45:00 PM
Though the Neo vs. Smith fight was, I think, a little over done.

I was basically expecting that since movie #2. They did a good job of turning Smith into a rival for Neo, but I honestly never felt that rivalry went anywhere. Further, I think Neo vs. Smith(s) in Revolutions is probably going to be pretty cliched.

I will be seeing the movie with friends, at least, so I'll be getting redeeming social value out of it.

Charley
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:54:06 PM
Smith aside, I don't really dig the sequels.

Like I said before Reloaded came out, they were better off sticking to one movie.

Then again, I'm only going because I get to see more Smith. Not expecting a good movie.

Figrin D'an
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:00:29 PM
Those are pretty much my expectations for the film as well. Over-the-top villian goodness.
And maybe another Architect-like scene, in which stuff is explained.

Charley
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:12:27 PM
Concordantly, vis a' vis, apropo :cool

I think that whole scene was filler, because the Wachowski Bro's couldn't figure out how to make sequels work.

AmazonBabe
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:20:23 PM
I'll prob be seeing the movie this Friday, but I'm not hyped about it. Just kinda meh, I guess.

The second movie basically took the wind out of my sails. I was expecting something like the first one, albiet better... but all I got was the first one. The second one is basically a recycled first one.

Oh well, I'll be seeing it with my fiance, so whether the movie sucks or not, at least I'll be in good company (much like Tondry). :)

Figrin D'an
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:31:40 PM
hehe... you forget "ergo," every Matrix fanboy's new favorite vocabulary word. ;)

I don't think it was necessarily just a filler... it did a decent job of laying out the basis for Neo's existence, and fleshing out just how in control the machines really are, even regarding those outside the Matrix.

I just see the whole story as being so over-the-top at this point, I think another, "Let me spell out to you exactly what is going on" scene would work infinitely better than any poorly veiled, shallow philosophical references and blabbering (ie. the Merovingian). We've already got crazy villian dude, like in your avatar. We've got wire-work/CGI wacked out "Karl Douglas" Kung Fu fighting as a focal point. Might as well make it into a complete Hong Kong fighting film, in which the bad guys spend 10 minutes explaining their entire scheme before duking it out with Mr. Hero Dude.

JMK
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:34:07 PM
I feel exactly the same way about Revolutions as I did about the first 2 after seeing them for the first time. I'm not sure whether I liked it or disliked it. I agree with a previous statement though, I was a little let down by the ending.
Is Neo dead? What happens to his body after the Smith encounter?

ReaperFett
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:45:06 PM
In a basic and undeniable sense, this is a good movie, and fans who have earned their credit hours with the first two will want to see this one and graduate. To the degree that I was able to put aside my questions, forget logic, disregard continuity problems and immerse myself in the moment, The Matrix Revolutions is a terrific action achievement.
Ebert said that.

Droo
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:48:26 PM
My review for Revolutions:

Excellent film. Pure entertainment which exceeded my expectations and blew Reloaded out of the water. My only problem with it was that far too many questions were left unanswered and this is a rare case when the movie makers expect the audience to think too much about the themes and plot of their film. That aside, it finished the series nicely, even if it was open-endedly.

Jinn Fizz
Nov 5th, 2003, 08:07:57 PM
I'm not going to even bother seeing it, because I was just so terribly disappointed with Reloaded.

I'm like Marcus...I'm really really surprised to hear myself say that I really don't give a whit about Revolutions, since I still love the first movie. The first movie still rocks the house big-time. But Reloaded was basically a parody of the first one, and a weak parody at that. Revolutions can only follow suit, I'm afraid. So I'll take a pass, thanks. :(

Jedieb
Nov 5th, 2003, 08:24:43 PM
I saw it this afternoon and it was decent. In retrospect, this was a movie I could have easily waited for the DVD release. I actually liked Reloaded more. The Neo/Smith fight at the end of the film was good. But I actually liked their previous battles better. I was a bit surprised by Trinity's death. I just didn't see the point of it. The ending was ambigious enough to leave room for another film a few years down the road.

One thing though, every time I see Neo or Smith flying I think of how good a Superman movie could look today. A Doomsday V. Superman showdown would be just phenomena.

Mortaniuss
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:32:36 PM
Note to self: Just because a block of spoiler text is short, doesn't mean that it isn't major.

Thankfully, I no longer care enough to be upset by having that spoiled.

Droo
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:33:02 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
One thing though, every time I see Neo or Smith flying I think of how good a Superman movie could look today.

That's exactly what I was thinking while I was watching that fight.

Ardath Bey
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:49:16 PM
Hollywood can't sell me on this CGI and Choreographical crud anymore. Too many movies these days have people doing incredible feats of acrobatics and martial arts. In unimaginitive and cliche manners. I want a real movie and Revolutions is not. I seen reel upon wasted reel as the Wachowski's brothers attempted to cut corners for their lack of a solid storyline with tons of visuals. Some quite fantastic though, too bad it was wasted in such poor context. Yea, Trinity died and stayed dead. Too bad virus-like Agent Smith died too. He was the single redeeming feature in the movie.

Ace McCloud
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:50:13 PM
OMG!!! I just saw it.........................................

I am speechless. All I can say is that was one of the best movies all time (Or atleast trilogy).

More later.........

Sejah Haversh
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:52:59 PM
I saw it for free, and it was good.

I liked it, and it had better get the Oscar for Best Special Effects. The amount, and quality, of the FX in this movie is staggering, and it was totally believable.

The plot was solid, and I liked it almost the whole way through. It gets a thumbs up from me, which I didn't expect to happen. I loved the last big Neo/Smith scene. It was so delightfully what I had wanted to see happen.

And, Adrath, hello? The Matrix is Terminator meets TRON, you expected some real deep plot or something? It's a special effects flick, not much more. All the Matrix movies are just special effects flicks.

Ardath Bey
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:56:03 PM
Originally posted by Sejah Haversh
I saw it for free, and it was good.

I liked it, and it had better get the Oscar for Best Special Effects. The amount, and quality, of the FX in this movie is staggering, and it was totally believable.

And, Adrath, hello? The Matrix is Terminator meets TRON, you expected some real deep plot or something? It's a special effects flick, not much more. All the Matrix movies are just special effects flicks.

Well, we haven't seen ROTK yet! ;)

Terminator meets Tron? No, it was repetitive ad nauseum.

JMK
Nov 5th, 2003, 10:05:13 PM
The Matrix is Terminator meets TRON, you expected some real deep plot or something? It's a special effects flick, not much more. All the Matrix movies are just special effects flicks.

If that's true then the Wachowski's spent a lot of time writing about alot of faux philosophy. :lol

Ardath Bey
Nov 5th, 2003, 10:06:41 PM
:lol JMK

Figrin D'an
Nov 5th, 2003, 10:26:20 PM
Originally posted by JMK
If that's true then the Wachowski's spent a lot of time writing about alot of faux philosophy. :lol

The first film brought up some interesting philosophical points. The sequels were essentially cash-cow films. Yeah, they had some fun and slightly obscure references, but let's get real on this... they were made because the Wachowski Brothers, Joel Silver, and Warner Bros. saw dollar signs from a potential marketing blitz. "The Matrix" actually had a tinge of creativity to it, and worked well to cause discussion about it's more subtle points. "Reloaded" and "Revolutions" were, more or less, action-oriented films that finished the story, and operate on a more simplistic level than the original.

Now... is that a bad thing? No, not necessarily. It pretty much depends upon viewer expectations. My expectations were not as high as some, and as such, I can enjoy the Matrix sequels for what they are: action, explosions, kung fu, and people talking themselves in circles when they aren't kicking someone's head in.

JediBoricua
Nov 5th, 2003, 10:34:05 PM
I must admit, I did not hate the film. I went to see it thinking it would suck, but I actually had a good time at it and was entertained. My life is not changed, but I am pleased about the end result and could have easily waited for the DVD.

The action scenes are awesome, the effects are good (although those walking robots things the human use were a bit shaky in some scenes), if the movie had stick to what it is, action Sci-Fi, it would have been among the best trilogies ever, IMO. But sadly it didn't.

Where the last two movies fail is that they are to pretentious. They want to push the viewer all this contrasting philosophy, religious dogmas, techno babble and latex, that at the end you only have a big mess of nothingness. Don't get me wrong, I love intelligent sci-fi stories a la Bladerunner or 2001, but in those cases they stick to one or two main themes and work them, here they talk about love, humanity, sex, a.i., raves, kung fu, stupid french characters, and then expect you to go out the theater proclaming it the best thing since sliced bread, to view it as some sort of philosophical treaty for the modern age.

After more people have seen the movie I will discuss some more on Neo as a Christ figure and why the Pope should be suing the Wachowski's for plagearism, not now because I don't want my comments to be lost on page 2! ;)

Charley
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:55:40 PM
The movie was good. I am impressed.

The only thing that really sucked is that they never explain Neo's ability to "see" or his powers in the real world. Akrabbim had a somewhat decent explanation of this, which I cannot remember at the moment.

That aside, they handle the logic of the movie events fairly well. If you like happy endings, I wouldn't recommend seeing it. This will really make you feel a little empty and cheated. That isn't the point. The point is to explain the existence and inherently the coexistence of machine and man. In that, I thought it was a novel way of tying loose ends up.

One thing that kinda made me roll my eyes was the Neo = Christ symbolism. Not that they used the symbolism...that in itself is fine. But instead of using a scalpel to deliver it, they deliver it with a sledge hammer. Its WAY too blatant, for such a subtle overtone, and I think the Crucifix in Neo's body, and the AI saying "It is done" should have been left out for that reason.

Smith? Love him, as usual. Great lines, great acting. Great character.

I don't think this movie is better or worse than Reloaded, per se. Reloaded makes you ask lots of questions. Revolutions answers those, but gives you more questions. Its a bit of a philosophical circle-jerk, but in the end, it was handled better than I gave them credit for.

Go see it, if you haven't.

Ardath Bey
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:29:42 AM
I'll admit I desired something deeper and more involved. And I perceived the action sequences as a redux of the last two. I am not going to let the Wachowski brothers off that easy. Each sequel largely recycled material from the previous film. Symbolism can be a beautiful and brilliant thing or it can be a downright annoying and unneccessary detail. Revolutions was certainly not beautiful neither brilliant.

Charley
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:49:39 AM
So stop going to movies that you know you'll hate?

Ardath Bey
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:08:44 AM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
So stop going to movies that you know you'll hate?

Sorry, I had to complete the trilogy because I would never know. But both sequels were terribly disappointing, IMO, I can almost identify writer's block afflicting the Wachowski brothers. And perhaps they did the one thing they could do and that was fall back on the previous material. Whether 'am wrong or right, nobody can know. Just suggesting.

ReaperFett
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:32:43 AM
Seen it. Basically, same opinion as with Reloaded, maybe more positive. Reeves was bad, Weaving was great, CAM was wasted, fights were good, movie was better than the original.

But was I the only one who got worried when you saw them walk into a dancefloor? I nearly screamed in fear :)

Great ending too :)

Didn't see the point of Trinity dying though. Although, I suppose it was good how she saw the sky first.

Why the bothered having Percephone in the movies will constantly baffle me though. Talk about pointless! :)

Anyway, how I see the ending, in bullet points:

- We are told uneeded programs are deleted
- We are told that Smith is there to balance Neo
- Smith merges with Seriph and the little kid
- Talking to Oracle, we see Smith repeat what Oracle spoke about to the kid
- Smith merges with Oracle
- End of fight, Smith speaks of something he remembers
- To be precise, what Oracle told Neo
- This convinces Neo what to do
- Smith merges with Neo, Neo lets him
- Neo dies
- There is no Neo
- Hence, there is no need for Smith
- Hence, Smith is deleted, as well as all he has done
- So, we basically are back where we were around Matrix time, barring out of Matrix happenings

Oh, and the new Oracle wasn't a patch on the original :)

If you don't see this in the cinema, you're missing out big-time.

Jinn Fizz
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:00:47 AM
Nope, sorry...since I had zero interest in seeing it anyways, I've read the spoilers posted here. And after reading the spoilers, my interest in seeing the movie has dropped into the negative ranges. Less than zero interest now. :\

ReaperFett
Nov 6th, 2003, 09:12:16 AM
Your loss.

Charley
Nov 6th, 2003, 09:27:20 AM
Precisely.

Its better than the critics say.

JMK
Nov 6th, 2003, 09:29:37 AM
So....can we be led to believe that since Neo is dead, Zion is pretty much a heap (although the human 'won'), that the whole thing can start over? Afterall, The Architect asks the Oracle how long the peace will last, to which she answers "As long as it can." Is that foreshadowing that the whole damn thing will start again. Will the machines take Neo's body and stick him in another one of those red bubbles in the fields until things boil over to the point where he is needed again?

Charley
Nov 6th, 2003, 09:40:39 AM
I see it as a statistical duality. The Architect was right. There were two choices, two possible outcomes. The problem is choice. Neo could do like the previous six saviors, and infuse his code into the Source, perpetuating humanity. However, if he refuses, a system crash will indeed occur, one that kills every man, woman, and child in the matrix. Zion would be destroyed either way. In the instance of the system crash, everyone loses. Smith is this same systemic anomaly.

What the Architect never considered (or more correctly, never explained) was the One's ability to destroy the anomaly himself. It wasn't that he lied, it was that he didn't fully explain. Then again, perhaps he genuinely expected the system crash to destroy everything.

What I'm getting at are two statistical outcomes. In one, Zion is destroyed, save for 24 (I think) pairs of men and women, to perpetuate it. The Source absorbs the code of the One, eliminates the polar anomaly, and returns order. In the other, the One represents the only method the machines have to save their system, and they will do anything to preserve themselves, including to halt their destruction of Zion.

Both outcomes perpetuate mankind, and machinekind. There will never be a winner, or a loser.

ReaperFett
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:15:25 AM
IMO, Zion is alright barring the docks. I always thought the rest of it was to the side, not under.

I just wish they'd have made the ending five minutes longer to show more of the characters. From a continuation point of view, this is the last time we'll see ANY character outside of the online RPG (If they make that like how Enter the Matrix was important to the plot), the comics being prequels I believe. I understand the key thing with the ending is the Matrix and not the characters, but still.

JMK
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:16:29 AM
infuse his code into the Source, perpetuating humanity. What exactly does that mean?

Neo gives himself up to Smith, at which point, I don't know what the hell happens. Obviously the Smith program is deleted in it's entirely there, but the how is what gets me. Once the Smith program is gone, and Neo is dead, why can't the machines continue to destroy Zion? Neo did make a deal in which he wants peace, and machines usually see things in black and white so it stands to reason that since Neo gave himself up they would leave Zion alone.

ReaperFett
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:31:08 AM
Originally posted by JMK
Neo gives himself up to Smith, at which point, I don't know what the hell happens. Obviously the Smith program is deleted in it's entirely there, but the how is what gets me. Once the Smith program is gone, and Neo is dead, why can't the machines continue to destroy Zion? Neo did make a deal in which he wants peace, and machines usually see things in black and white so it stands to reason that since Neo gave himself up they would leave Zion alone.
Balance. Neo gone means the balance is gone, so the Architect deletes Smith.

JMK
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:41:32 AM
Ah, of course. Ok, then what did the previous Neo's decide to do? Charley said that he infused his code into the source, but what does that imply? What I saw is that Neo continued to get up and fight, time after time, and I assume this is what the previous Neos did, until they were utterly defeated. This Neo realises that if he is removed, Smith will be removed and the machines will be happy.

Charley
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:11:31 PM
Previously, the other Ones decided to enter the Source, giving up the code they carried, which allowed the systemic anomaly to be corrected. In return, enough humans were left in Zion to perpetuate it. That's what I meant.

As for what happens when Smith and Neo merge? Smith may be many things, even as an anomaly. He is still a program in the machine world. The programs, as we know ad nauseum, do not function under the existentialistic dogma that the humans do, but rather under the assumptions of utilitarianism. The existence in subservience of purpose. Purpose is stressed very much in the machines way of life, in all the movies. Agent Smith was "reborn" with the purpose of destroying Neo...to "take away" his purpose. When this is accomplished, there is no longer purpose to Smith's program. The anomaly then destroys itself.

This is amazingly similar to a comic I once read where the Joker was granted omnipotence, but yet couldn't kill Batman, due to his existence being centered in contrary to his own. It's also the same argument that exists in Milton's Paradise Lost.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:39:35 PM
I saw it at 6 am yesterday morning, and (although I had to get up at 3:30 am :x) was quite pleasantly surprised. Revolutions was much better than Reloaded, although a few things made me laugh (The mech warriors punching their 'fists' in the air drew an innappropriate chuckle from me) and some things were left unanswered - what happened to Neo afterwards? Is he dead? I assume yes, but then, when is anything what it seems?

The fight to get into the Frenchman's club was cool, I loved the effect of the guys running around on the ceiling. Still not a patch on the initial Lobby fight to rescue Morpheous. I hate that Trinity dies in TWO of the movies - but she couldn't live, logically, because after Neo dies they would have had to figure out how to get her out of the machine city and back to Zion.

I think it wraps everything up fairly neatly even though the Matrix still exists and I would say to definetely see it if you've been disappointed by the second one.

Jinn Fizz
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:07:49 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Your loss.

Quite all right by me. Somehow, I think life will go on. :rolleyes

ReaperFett
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:13:19 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
Quite all right by me. Somehow, I think life will go on. :rolleyes
Just seems strange the majority in here are positive, but that draws you away.

Ardath Bey
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:53:40 PM

What, Reap, we are endorsing herd mentality? She doesn't have to see any movie she doesn't want to.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:58:23 PM
I read your post three times Dave, but I can't figure out why you quoted my post. :p

Jinn Fizz
Nov 6th, 2003, 09:23:31 PM

Sorry, not sure I quite follow what you're saying here. :huh

If you're meaning to imply that the positive reactions of the posters here is what is turning me off to the movie, nothing could be further from the truth. My decision not to see the movie is based purely on my bitter disappointment over Reloaded and the spoilage I've read here in this thread and a few other places. I do not like what I've read in the spoilage, it does not appeal to me, ergo, I shall not see Revolutions.

And thank you, Ardath Bay. :)

Figrin D'an
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:11:45 AM
This article (http://www.msnbc.com/news/987101.asp?0bl=-0&cp1=1) is a few days old, but I felt it made some excellent points about the Matrix films, and about why Hugo Weaving steals the show in each of them.

It pretty much reflects my perspective on them as well.

Ardath Bey
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:14:21 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I read your post three times Dave, but I can't figure out why you quoted my post. :p

:lol ... it was admiration LD but I since edited it. ;)

Your welcome, Jinn Fizz. To add further elaboration to this notion, with a case in point, Backstreet Boys and Brittney Spears fill stadiums the world over. Ain't it a hudsucker and terribly gross one at that?

:x

ReaperFett
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:34:54 AM
And after reading the spoilers, my interest in seeing the movie has dropped into the negative ranges.
That would be like hearing a review of the Backstreet Boys being excellent, and deciding they will suck.

IN FACT, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. Jinn, go and see Revolutions. If you are dissapointed at the end of it to the extent of disliking it, I will pay for your ticket. So you either get a good movie, or a free movie.

Mortaniuss
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:07:52 AM
Actually, reading spoilers has turned me off to the movie a bit, as well. So I can definitely see where she's coming from. I'm unhappy with what it seems like they've done with the plot. Still, I'm going to see it this evening and find out for myself.

Jedieb
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:58:27 AM
Wait for the DVD Jinn. If you were that dissapointed in Reloaded then Revolutions probably won't be much better for you.

Jinn Fizz
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:59:24 AM
Nice offer, ReaperFett, but no thank you. :)

ReaperFett
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:47:55 AM
Let me get this straight. I offer you a potentially FREE ticket to see the movie, and you turn it down? I'm doing this as a favour! I don't ask for anything in return barring honesty in your opinions ;)

JMK
Nov 7th, 2003, 09:09:23 AM
Geez, let it be. She's not interested. Keep the extra money and see it again for yourself and help the rest of us understand the damn thing. :p

Mortaniuss
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:25:38 AM
I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. In fact, my only real qualm with the movie was that it didn't address several of the plotholes, and that the plot itself was kind of B.S.-y at times. It kind of irked me that Trinity died. I mean, what was her point? Why have her go so far with him just to die? I don't mind character deaths when they have a reason. Her death seemed pointless.

Figrin D'an
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:26:28 AM
okay... so, I saw this early tonight.

It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. It's about on par compared to Reloaded (maybe a bit below it... I liked the action in Reloaded better), and is well below the original film.

Most (not all) that complain about the film will do so because they fail to see one of the underlying statements behind the film's outcome, or for that matter, the entire trilogy. And, most don't want to use their noodles to think a little. They'd rather be lead from point A to point B to point C, rather than connect the dots for themselves. There might some merit to such a perspective, depending upon whom exactly is in that camp. (I won't elaborate on this now... it's late and I need to be off to bed... needless to say, I've found a lot of hypocritical "fans" of these films floating around... a minor annoyance.)

It completes the story, more or less, and though some might not like the ending, it's pretty much something that could have sniffed out after seeing the second film, and it is better than a few potential endings that I considered possible.

Ardath Bey
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:04:21 AM
Originally posted by Figrin Dan

Most (not all) that complain about the film will do so because they fail to see one of the underlying statements behind the film's outcome, or for that matter, the entire trilogy. And, most don't want to use their noodles to think a little. They'd rather be lead from point A to point B to point C, rather than connect the dots for themselves. There might some merit to such a perspective, depending upon whom exactly is in that camp. (I won't elaborate on this now... it's late and I need to be off to bed... needless to say, I've found a lot of hypocritical "fans" of these films floating around... a minor annoyance.)

Or perhaps it is because The Matrix is foremost an action film and secondly an pseudo-intellectual film that paints itself in a dot-to-dot haughty yet overly simplified fashion. Only it's circular explanations are an heartache rather than just presented in simple terms. There is quite a bit leftover for interpretation.

Figrin D'an
Nov 8th, 2003, 07:37:42 AM
Originally posted by Ardath Bey
Or perhaps it is because The Matrix is foremost an action film and secondly an pseudo-intellectual film that paints itself in a dot-to-dot haughty yet overly simplified fashion. Only it's circular explanations are an heartache rather than just presented in simple terms. There is quite a bit leftover for interpretation.

It's status as an action, sci-fi meets Hong Kong B-movie (which it essentially is) isn't the point. There can still be a message in films such as these, and may actually require the viewer to fire a few neurons to get it. Philosophical tour-de-force? Hardly. But it's not devoid of underlying theme, either.

Darth007
Nov 8th, 2003, 08:30:01 AM
One question about the end...

When Smith is deleted and Neo is carried away dead on the platform, you see the Oracle, Architect, Sarif, and that little girl in what looks like a 20th century world. Does the Matrix still exist and does everyone still live in it? Or did Neo destroy the matrix completely, and if so, what happened to the torched sky, the massive armies of machines, the gloomy city, and the dozens of people left in Zion? I'm still confused on what happened

ReaperFett
Nov 8th, 2003, 09:53:14 AM
I saw it as when Smith is deleted, so is what Smith corrupted. So, the world is back as it was before Neo appeared.

Darth007
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:18:16 AM
Yeah but Smith didnt create the matrix, he was just a rogue program. I'm still not seeing how that affects the actual machines in the real world which is a few centuries into the future.

edit: Are you saying the matrix still exists but Neo/Mr. Anderson doesn't so its as if nothing ever happens and the entire human race still lives unknowingly in the Matrix?

JMK
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:46:28 AM
I think that's what he's saying...

Captain Coruscant
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:27:40 AM
The way I see it, that's right. The Oracle says (something like) "What about those who want out?" "They'll be freed" - which I understood as the Architect saying he was going to 'shut down' the Matrix and let everyone out

JediBoricua
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:38:23 AM
"Those who want out will be freed, of course." That's what the architect says. So yeah the Matrix still exist, and humans will still be harvested for energy, or did anyone expect machines to change power supplies in 24 hours. That's one of my main bugs with how the movies went, all that work for nothing. Humanity was fighting (in the first movie) for freedom and control of their planet, now all they want is to live happy in their hole of a city. Until a new war begins and a new Neo and Smith appear

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:42:50 AM
As I see it, now the people in the Matrix who want out will be allowed out. The "Smith" and "agent" programs have probably been deleted entirely, making it simple for those humans who are ready to leave the Matrix to do so, via those in Zion, who can now rescue them without risking considerable danger to themselves. Those that are not ready to be freed, who do not "want out" will remain in the Matrix, supplying the machines with power.

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:03:33 PM
Hmm, ok, saw it last night and here's my review, all spoiler-ified for those who wish to avoid it.

First of all, let me get this out of the way: I hated reloaded. I thought it was bloated, lame, and utterly un-enticing. That said, I still went and saw Revolutions simply because I can't pass judgement on the second movie of any trilogy without seeing the conclusion of it. I'd have to say that, all in all, my questions were not answered. Now, that's not a bad thing, but it is a dissapointing thing. I can respect the fact that the brothers have their story while at the same time wishing for something more... complete. Substantial. Less like the world series ending in a tie.

But, that's the greedy audience member in me. When you honestly look at it, there is no other logical way for the movie to end. Humans, who created AI and therefore left their mark on it, are driven by the need to be useful and wanted, and that ladies and gentlemen, is the core of this movie as I saw it. Machine logic dictates that unneeded programs must be terminated, personified by the young girl's character. That need even drives smith to self-replicate. In a way, smith is to the machine world as the machine world once was to the human race: Out of control, taking over, and needing to be eliminated for the good of all. Except this time, when history repeats itself, there are the two factions that know, logically and intuitively, how to defeat smith.

So, the bad parts:
- I personally didn't see the need for the entire club fight scene. I thought it was lame, but that's probably just me.

- The ending fight scene, while cool looking for the most part, was just too long.

- The overabundance and/or lack of subtety regarding the blatant christ metaphors. "it is done" => "it is finished" :rolleyes

- A few of the characters just grated on my nerves...

- Finally, did anyone get the strong impression that this movie turned into Dune Messiah? I mean, the blind thing, the controling of metal "worms," the battle for the world, the holy trance... Yeah, it was Dune.

The good parts:
- Again, Agent Char... erm, I mean Smith is secure on my list of kickbutt antagonists.

- Visually, many of the scenes were just stunning, such as having every window at the end filled with Smiths.

- It was a realistic ending... not a happy one, not the one that feels complete, but a realistic one.

Darth007
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:58:57 PM
Eh, I didn't mind the club scene because they needed to show how the team got Neo back, and the fight with the French guy showed how Trinity was willing to die for Neo.

Actually there weren't many fights in this one if I can remember. The main Zion fight which was in the real world was tense and had a few good twists. Only other one besides the club fight, I think, is between Smith and Neo at the end, which unfortunately reminded me of DBZ with all those atom bomb-type explosions and the flying and spinning through the air while fighting. And yeah I admit, it was a little too long.

Now I can just hope that an extra DVD is released, similar to Animatrix, that will tie up all the gaps and answer some questions that are hangin on at the end. No video game though, I won't have the effort or patience to go through another one of those if it comes out as boring as Enter the Matrix.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:01:48 PM
Originally posted by Darth007
Eh, I didn't mind the club scene because they needed to show how the team got Neo back, and the fight with the French guy showed how Trinity was willing to die for Neo.

Actually there weren't many fights in this one if I can remember. The main Zion fight which was in the real world was tense and had a few good twists. Only other one besides the club fight, I think, is between Smith and Neo at the end, which unfortunately reminded me of DBZ with all those atom bomb-type explosions and the flying and spinning through the air while fighting. And yeah I admit, it was a little too long.

Now I can just hope that an extra DVD is released, similar to Animatrix, that will tie up all the gaps and answer some questions that are hangin on at the end. No video game though, I won't have the effort or patience to go through another one of those if it comes out as boring as Enter the Matrix. My guess from what I took away from the ending is that there won't be another DVD, there will be more 'Matrix' movies in the future. The ending was very sequel-esque.

Nathanial K'cansce
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:19:34 PM
In response to Ogre-san I don't think there will be another Matrix movie. They're coming out with "Matrix Online", which was quoted as being the 4th matrix movie. Though, tis an online game I guess. :p

ReaperFett
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:28:36 PM
It looks quite good too :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:33:55 PM
Originally posted by Nathanial K'cansce
In response to Ogre-san I don't think there will be another Matrix movie. They're coming out with "Matrix Online", which was quoted as being the 4th matrix movie. Though, tis an online game I guess. :p Doesn't change my opinion at all.

Popular and successful games don't generate the magnitude of income popular movies do. Especially movies with droves of drooling fanboys.

The Matrix trilogy did not have an actual ending, it had a temporary ending, where even the Oracle suggested Neo would be back in its last sequence.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:40:45 PM
I thought she just said that she thought Neo would like the sunrise...

TheHolo.Net
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:45:17 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
I thought she just said that she thought Neo would like the sunrise... After the sunset is shown and remarks are made about its beauty and that Neo would like it.

Little Girl: "Will we ever see him again?"
Oracle: "I suspect so....(slight pause)....someday."

Jedieb
Nov 8th, 2003, 03:00:38 PM
One of my frustrations is that the movie basically ended with a stalemate. I can handle a bad ending. I enjoy it when a film dares to let evil win. Seven had guts to put Paltrow's head in a box. But Revolutions tries to have it both ways. I wanted a victor, either humanity or the machines, but a victor. The idea that the machines will honor their promise to Neo and agree to a truce is unrealistic to me. Yes, it can be explained describing the machines as binary, 0 or 1, yes or no, but I just don't buy it. And I'm also not convinced that Neo is dead. I wouldn't be surprised to see another film in 5 years.

Here he is, smack in the middle of this dull philosophy lecture, gnawing through the scenery like he’s William Shatner’s illegitimate son.
:lol

Darth007
Nov 8th, 2003, 03:06:06 PM
A fourth movie? Eh, possibly, the Matrix is full of surprises.

Little Girl: "Will we ever see him again?"
Oracle: "I suspect so....(slight pause)....someday."

I think this is just another obvious comparison to Christ, meaning the 2nd coming. But you could be right.

ReaperFett
Nov 8th, 2003, 03:25:54 PM
There wont be a 4th movie IMO. Matrix was birth, Reloaded was life, Revolutions was death. What would a 4th be?

So far, the Matrix has been put together cleverly. The game wasn't a cheap tie-in, it was interwoven with the sequels. The Animatrix had a lot of backstory for those who were interested. By having the online game be #4, they can say "This is what would happen next", No trilogy spoiling.

And to me, "someday" refers to the fact that there wont be eternal peace.

Darth Viscera
Nov 8th, 2003, 03:54:02 PM
Matrix Online? what? i just read about it on their site, tell me more.

A matrix MMORPG would be cool, so long as it doesn't follow the "GIMME 15 BUX ADN YOU CNA DO TEH SAME THING OVER AND OVER FOR 30 DAYS LOLOLOL" mentality that all the other MMORPGs swear by.

ReaperFett
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:00:14 PM
It is post-movies, there's a movie and pictures online. About all I know. It'll be interesting what will happen player-wise when you have Star Wars, Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Warcraft, Warhammer and a Superhero MMORPG around, to wether all the annoying players will flock to one :)

Darth Viscera
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:22:58 PM
Where's the movie? i couldn't find it. just the pictures.

ReaperFett
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:29:16 PM
Dunno, never watched it :)

Darth Viscera
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:50:09 PM
blast you, fett!

Darth007
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:03:40 PM
A MMORPG wouldn't make sense as a "4th movie" because MMORPG's let you control what happens in your own world and you as the player make the story, which has many possibilities.

ReaperFett
Nov 8th, 2003, 05:18:19 PM
Exactly. You wouldn't be doing anything major. At most you'd be Ghost in stature, you'd never be Trinity, if you get my meaning :)

Darth Viscera
Nov 8th, 2003, 07:13:47 PM
hmmm....i wonder if the Nebuchadnezzar uploaded the woman in red to Zion's mainframe? I wouldn't mind playing an MMORPG that spawned her as a MOB :D

Darth007
Nov 8th, 2003, 07:13:52 PM
Yeah, plus I don't have any interest in paying a monthly fee for a game that sucks away my life. I mean MMORPG's. :rolleyes

JMK
Nov 8th, 2003, 11:16:52 PM
There wont be a 4th movie IMO. Matrix was birth, Reloaded was life, Revolutions was death. What would a 4th be?

Ressurection? Reanimation?

Darth007
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:26:26 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Ressurection was used someway somehow.

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:33:16 AM
So I saw it finally. I enjoyed it very much for entertainment purposes though, as many have stated and restated, was a bit dissappointed. Although, I'm pretty sure I got a good hold on the ending. So, here goes my own personal take. Right or wrong, your comments are appreciated.

It's obvious to me that Neo is Jesus. There is so much symbolism that it cannot be ignored. I think most people agree with that.

Trinity dying is a simple gesture done, I think, to tie up some loose end issues. Why should Trinity live? There's no real purpose to her living if Neo is dead. She loves Neo. Neo loves Trinity. Trinity dies. Neo is essentially dead. Boom. Nice, clean, certain, and everyone's happy to see their love die sacredly together. :)

Here's my interpretation of the symbolism of the ending in regard to Neo being Jesus: he dies to save humanity, right? Thus, he modifies the nature by which one gets to "heaven." Heaven, in this world of the Wachowski Brothers', is the real world. The Matrix is the lost of humanity, blinded and chained by sin. Before Neo, the only way to go to heaven is through a certain designated few--the teams that work in the real world against the Matrix to free those willing. These are like priests, who sacrifice in the name of God to forgive sins (like in the Old Covenant of the Bible). Neo represents Jesus in that he frees humanity. He dies so that everyone gains the personal ability and freedom to chose the path of heaven. If I find the path of righteousness (discover the truth of the Matrix), I no longer need a priest to sacrifice something to atone for my sins or save me (no need for the rescuing teams like Morpheus' ship); because of Jesus who died on the cross for my sins (Neo giving himself for humanity), I can come to heaven (the real world) simply through personal choice to follow Jesus (the Architect saying that those who wanted to be free would be freed peacefully). Those who do not make that discovery or make that choice will perish in sin (people who's minds do not detect/discover the Matrix will remain there as energy for the machines). The second coming of Christ is a possible sequel toy, however cheap! :p

That's my take. It's wordy and probably flawed, but that's what I came out of the movie thinking. The rest of the story--plot, characters, movement--is basically just filler! :D

Pierce Tondry
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:38:53 AM
The fourth would be rebirth, or resurrection.

I haven't seen it yet, but I figured it was wise to put this in spoiler tags.

Tear
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:23:46 AM
I dont know what it is but after watching revolutions i feel some how enlightened..

and like after watching every matrix movie i always have this weird feeling like..this better not be the matrix..*pokes wall*:rolleyes

And i dont think Neo is dead. Remember as the ship carried him away it faded to gold..I think hes still alive. Possibly why the oracle said they might see him again. Maybe hes part of the matrix now..part of the program working with the machines..maybe making sure they keep their end of the deal? Just my thought..

oh and the Video game takes place after both movies were you can play one of two factions i think..The humans outside of the Matrix and the humans fighting to stay in it.

Droo
Nov 9th, 2003, 06:23:22 AM
I wouldn't want to see another Matrix film. I think the trilogy was ended very well indeed and I'm completely satisfied with the end result.*

*Having thought about it more.

Crystal
Nov 9th, 2003, 06:43:22 AM
I haven't seen it yet.. and I'm honestly not sure I want to. I hear it's good.. but I don't know. I loved the first one SO MUCH but Reloaded made me wish they had left the problem of the matrix unsolved.. and I'm afraid this one might add to it.

Now that I read everyone's spoilers, I'm really curious how Trinity and Neo die. So.. I have a reason to see it ;)

As for The Matrix online.. I can't see it actually being that great. I saw the video a few months back, it looks okay I guess.. but I couldn't imagine it would be fun, unless you actually had to be "freed" by someone and.. all sorts of stuff... I dunno.. I just really don't want to see the matrix turn into a million people running around with names likethe_one25892 and trinity8832 >_<

Dru, I just now got your avatar. ^_^;

ReaperFett
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:48:34 AM
Yes Pierce, it was wise to put it in spoiler tags, so I did the same for those that DIDN'T :)

WHo would they ressurect? Neo is DEAD. He did his job, he died. There's no coming back. That would be like Lucas bringing Vader back.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:35:48 PM
There were Ones before him. And there will be Ones after him.

ReaperFett
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:38:05 PM
True, but none from what we know got a truce. Were those who wanted freedom always immediately granted freedom?

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:39:17 PM
Didnt they all sacrifice themselves at the point when Neo decided to, instead, go to save Trinity? (after speaking with the Architect)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:13:03 PM
All I'm saying is that the One is a never ending loop cycle. Not 'resurrection,' more like 'reincarnation.'

ReaperFett
Nov 9th, 2003, 05:22:56 PM
DULL FACT ALERT!

The bench The Oracle was sitting on at the end had a plaque reading "In memory of Thomas Anderson".

You were warned :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 9th, 2003, 06:56:59 PM
Is it actually readable in the movie? I didn't see it.

ReaperFett
Nov 9th, 2003, 07:03:47 PM
Dunno, I haven't seen it :)

Crystal
Nov 9th, 2003, 11:27:25 PM
Wish I had read that before I saw it so I could have checked..

AND.. I SAW IT! Wow. Amazing. No one lied to me about it being better than the second movie.. The matrixy feel is back, and no more pointless fights.. god I'm so so so happy. I wish Reloaded was never made and they just added some extra time to introduce some of the IMPORTANT people/events..

SMITH KICKS @#$@#!!!

I'm alright with the plot, I suppose.. but there were other ways they could have done it... I'm just so glad it FELT like The Matrix this time.

Too bad they had to change Oracles, though.. :(

Jedieb
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:00:03 PM
A not so subtle review of Revolutions:

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=matrix3

If you don't like spoilers are think foul language is naughty then stay away!

JMK
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:05:54 PM
I still go to this guy's site on a regular basis. He's hilarious, even if he can be a total pig 80% of the time.

Jedieb
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:11:06 PM
80%, you're being generous. ;) I didn't like the Reeves article, but I can't see why anyone would get ticked off. If you don't like it, don't go there. He's not shoving it down anyone's throat. But man, those reviews of kids' artwork are hysterically cruel. :evil

JMK
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:42:06 PM
He's cruel to the point where I think (especially with the kids art critiquing) that he's being mean on purpose. He can't possibly think that way, but I did laugh my tail off.

ReaperFett
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:11:18 AM
I never find deliberately mean constantly to be funny, as it's too easy.

Jedieb
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:43:27 PM
Then why do you do it?
;)

ReaperFett
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:04:34 PM
I'm never mean. If anything, I need to be MORE mean. So nuts to you, Skunkbreath! :)

Jedieb
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:35:23 PM
Double dog skunkbreath to you! :crack

ReaperFett
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:44:03 PM
...thwarted! You'll pay, dearly! *waves fist*

JMK
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:45:53 PM
Jedieb, that isn't Reaper's breath you smell from Britain, that's the berkshire bacon pudding you smell.

*thought I'd get in on it.* ;)