PDA

View Full Version : Icy Conditions (Open RP--set 6 years ago)

Kale
Nov 4th, 2003, 10:52:16 PM
(OOC: Please post in the OOC thread (http://69.56.186.201/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32960) before posting here.)

If there was a bright center of the galaxy, and you were on the planet that was the farthest from, you'd be on Tatooine.

Kuwaruk Re, however, wasn't a planet.

It was an asteroid, about half the diameter of a terrestrial world, but dense enough to pack almost 0.8 standard gravities. It had an atmosphere, of a sort. The dominant gases were nitrogen and oxygen, with a sulfurous undertone that irritated the lungs, and there was enough hydration in the firmament to keep the rocky terrain more or less buried in acidic snow. The air was thin, but it could whip up to seventy miles an hour when so inclined. The sky was perpetually gray. The temperatures were Siberian on good days.

Other than that, it was a pretty rotten place to live.

The Chimera mining colony clung tightly to the side of Kuwaruk Re like a stubborn barnacle. It was a cluster of pressure-tight buildings fashioned from modular plasteel units. Electrical power came from an aging fusion reactor. A bank of busy oxygen assimilators kept the internal air clean, if not exactly fresh. The hydroponic gardens had never fared well, so most of the food was shipped in bi-monthly at significant cost on transports.

Once upon a time, it was all funded by the Mirfak Mining Company, an entrepreneurial corporation based on Acamar. Preliminary reports on the asteroid indicated an abundance of rare mineral and heavy metal deposits within the lithosphere. The company had established a total of seven colonies on Kuwaruk Re. But the costs rose more quickly than any of the speculators had expected, and the mineral wealth they had been promised proved elusive--the composition of Kuwaruk Re's crust defied deep-core scans. Despite some early successes, the funding dried up, and the company pulled out.

The employees who had enough money to book a seat on a transport left in search of better venues. But many of the miners had been down-and-outs and vagrants, attracted by the gold rush and now left with little but a hammock, a drilling laser, and a desperate hope that the stories of untold riches deep beneath the surface of Kuwaruk Re were true.

It was a busy night in the Gold Nugget tavern, one of the few remaining businesses in the Chimera mining colony. It used to be a cafeteria, a modest-looking room wrapped in corrugated plasteel, converted by the addition of a faux wooden bar and a dozen and a half rusty card tables. The establishment was managed by Klaus Malborn, a man who had through less than scupulous means won a near monopoly on every shipment of food and many other supplies that came to the Chimera colony. The Gold Nugget was the only place in which the miners could hold any charitable sense of community, even if it was at the cost of Malborn's extortionate food prices.

Kale, a ten-year-old human boy with ratty clothes and toussled brown hair, scurried to keep all the customers' orders filled. The last shipment had come in yesterday, and, as he always did the day after shipment, Malborn had lowered all his prices to encourage everyone to share in the bounty. It was the only sort of holiday Chimera ever saw, and Malborn still turned a healthy profit because everyone tended to drink twice as much on such days. So the miners were happy, and Malborn was happy. Kale, as usual, ended up holding the short end of the stick.

He slapped down a pair of pewter mugs and threw a bitter look at the door behind the bar marked "Employees Only." Where was Malborn, anyway? Usually he filled half the drink orders himself on nights like this; all the better to keep the ale and the profits flowing. As it was, Kale barely had time to breathe between new orders and new spills.

The pressure door swung open, and a blast of cold, sulfur-smelling air burst into the room, carrying with it a flurry of acrid snow. Kale shivered momentarily and watched dejectedly as a newcomer entered. Great, he thought, another customer.

Sin Vamel
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:30:55 AM
Into the tavern walked a great, burly man wrapped in a hefty coat of animal hide with fur trimmings around the collar sleeves. His bulbous nose and fingers were an angry shade of red, his weary eyes were bloodshot and running, his hands were dirty and his trousers were riddled with stitches. Behind him followed a young, frail-looking woman with sunken cheeks and sallow skin, she was shivering and with every breath came from her pale lips a cloud of icy mist. Her long fingers were clamped onto the shoulders of a young boy of about fourteen years old and despite his wriggling and begrudging remarks she refused to let go and guided him further inside the busy tavern. The trio of new arrivals were promptly joined by a young man, although he looked no older than seventeen years old he was tall and like his father, looked like he was built from duracrete. Together they were a rather formidable looking pair.

“Wan’ some ale, lad?” Grunted the red-nosed man, turning back to his eldest son. The young man answered before the woman to his side could pipe up in protest. Those bloodshot eyes drifted hesitantly across to the young woman, whose gaze was unflinching and sharp, some colour returned to her cheeks. “An’ you? Wha’ yer wan’?”

“I’ll have a Sullucan Tea Brandy, my love, and as for our son, I believe he’ll have a hot chocolate.” She answered bitterly, her voiced laced with all the venom she could muster in her current condition. A grunt was the reply she received, that was usually the height of conversation between them both, grunts and simple gestures, it was a wonder to behold when one actually acknowledged that the other still breathed. Only in public would they dare speak but it was all pretense and neither of the two boys seemed to notice these subtle exchanges of mutual loathing anymore. The youngest, under his mothers charge, felt a much stronger hand on his shoulder and he looked up.

“This way, Sin, I want you to stay close to me and mom. Don’t start wandering again.”

Sai
Nov 5th, 2003, 08:48:13 AM
.:Not long after that, three more individuals entered into the establishment. Two, taller, looking virtually alike concealed by their clothing, save they were male and female. They were both wrapped in thick cloaks, hoods concealing their brows. Between them stood a young boy, he looked to be the age of fifteen or so. His youthful gaze darted about the room, looking over what occupants there were, and what appeared to be a shorthanded stafff.

One of the taller figures removed his hood and stepped inwards, passing through a few old tables before approaching one closer to the center area. His hair shined a raven black, with hints of midnight blue in it, his complection nearly flawless, and his eyes an iradescent blue. Next the other individual approached, not quite as tall, and a bit more frail of a frame. A female no less, she removed her hood as well revealing the same hair, however her features were quite beautiful. Her eyes seemed to shine the same way as the man next to her did. She joined him, sitting and getting comfertable, allbeit they looked quite out of place.

The young boy had yet to follow, he was far more intrigued by looking around, seeing how things looked within. It was all new, as was this place...Kuwaruk, or so his parents called it. Those were the two at the table, his mother and father. The extreme temperatures took their toll on all of them, no one in that family was accostomed to the Arctic like weather, it was all very new. Rather than the burning red sensation one would recieve from windburn and the cold, they were all rather pale now.

"Come over here son, don't dawdle about." The male voice said with a warm compassionate tone.

The young man did so, walking calmly to his parents he removed his hood as well revealing the very same black hair and same blue eyes. Coughing slightly, the young boy took a seat next to his mother. She instinctively put her hand on his back as he coughed, as a caring mother might have done. It was apparent the young boy was developing a cold, no doubt the temperature change was the culrpit behind his developing illness.

His father looked over to see if there were any people present to take orders, or if needs be he would get up and find someone to lend a hand. A few moments passed, he sat patiently watching and waiting. All of them were rather parched from their travels.:.

Abagael Zellan
Nov 5th, 2003, 12:58:07 PM
Today a little sun was going to shine on the dismal Kuwaruk Re. Not literally of course, but to many of the miners Abby was the next best thing. The woman tried not to make visits here a habit, only coming, at best, once or twice a year. Usually it was a shortage of credits that drew her to the hunk of rock.

At first the only thing distinguishable in the doorway of the Gold Nugget was a large shapeless lump with a smaller shapeless lump on top of it. As the door closed however, shutting out the worst of the cold, the lump began to move, peeling off bundles layers of heavily-padded clothing until all that remained was a shrimp of a leather-clad woman. A sly grin crossed Abby's face, and she pulled off her sunglasses (for style, not purpose).

"Howdy boys. Miss me?"

A cry of greeting broke out from many of the natives and Abagael Zellan winked saucily. Before anyone could snare her into a hug, she pranced over to one of the card tables and slid into a seat. Abby propped her hands on the dingy metal and banged on it's surface twice.

"Deal me in. And where's Jilly? Jilly owes me muchos credits."

Sai
Nov 5th, 2003, 01:49:33 PM
.:Turning his head to the newest addition to the Gold Nugget, the young boy stood up from his chair and began walking to her.

"Son where are you going? The father said.

"I wanted to see what was going on over there." He pointed to Abagael.

"Alright. But don't be a nusance son, be friendly, be sure to introduce yourself like you've been taught.

"Yes sir."

Then his mother spoke up...

"Sai, we'll be right here alright, don't wander about."

"Yes ma'am."

Sai-Wan, the young boy who had come in with his mother and father walked over near to where Abagael was and stopped just short of standing next to her. His gaze remained stoic, unshifting. He merely stood there, it looked rather akward. Meanwhile, his parents conversed back at their table.

"He should be here with in the hour dear, this shouldn't take long."

"I know, I'm just worried about Sai-Wan. He's already getting a cold..."

"He'll be fine. We'll be back on our way shortly, just relax darling. In the mean time, let's get something to drink, shall we?"

They both spoke with a hint of regality, obvoiusly strangers to this place, it was inevitable that they stuck out.

Sai-Wan cleared his throat and slowly spoke to Abagael, with curiosity tinting his words.:.

"What'cha doin?"

Kale
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:28:56 PM
Kale took a quick headcount of the newly-arrived customers--the Vamel family, that was four, three more he didn't remember seeing before, and--oh, boy. Abby was back. Malborn was going to love this.

The youth indulged in a private grin as he pictured his master muttering, Blasted vixen, she always gets her claws in my profits. For whatever reason, Abby was one of the few people Malborn couldn't seem to swindle. But all in all, a pretty face around the bar was good for business, so he usually ended up breaking fairly even.

"`Ey, barhop! Where's that ale we ordered?"

No rest for the weary. Kale scurried back to the tap and frothed out three more mugs for the vociferous malcontents, then hastened to take the Vamels' orders. In just a minute, he was back at their table with two ales in one hand and a hot chocolate in the other.

"Heads up," he warned, thumping the drinks down on the table with some mild sloshing. "The tea brandy'll take another minute, gotta get more tea from the pantry. That'll be seven creds, twenty chits."

Abagael Zellan
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:00:22 PM
Poker had never been Abby's game of choice, but luckily the players here were in a division far lower than those on Coruscant. It was an easy way to make a few creds, though more often than not the blokes who lost didn't have the moolah that they'd been betting.

Abagael pinched a stim from the man on her left, lit it, and took a long drag before sparing a seconds glance at the kid that had sidled over.

"What's it look like I'm doin'?"

She dropped a few credits into the middle of the table and winked at a man across the way. Suddenly the woman spotted a familiar face. Abby grinned and crooked a finger in a 'come-hither' manner.

"Kale! Where's Malborn, the old geezer? I was expecting a warm welcome!"

She hooked a chair from an adjacent table and slid it next to her own.

"Sit down, these lugs can take care of themselves for a bit. How you been, kid?"

Kale
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:23:33 PM
Kale glanced distractedly in Abagael's direction. If he left customers thirsty at a time like this, Malborn would have his hide--aw, heck, it was his own fault for not hiring more help.

Backing away from the Vamel table, Kale muttered, "Hang on a minute, an' I'll be back with the brandy."

The kid mosied over in the direction of the poker game, weaving carefully between the crowded tables. A walrus-faced Ormongian stuck a blubbery leg across his path, and both his feet got caught on the underside. Kale went down with a yelp onto the musty concrete floor.

A tumult of congratulatory laughter went up in the immediate vicinity. Kale's ears burned as he picked himself up off the dirty floor and shook drops of spilled liquor off his oversized shirtsleeves. The kid turned and gave the Ormongian a stoic glare. There really was no point in getting mad at a couple of drunk yokels--especially when he had his own ways of getting even.

But that'd have to wait. He rubbed his hands where they'd been scraped in the fall and dropped into the seat Abby had offered him.

"Ain't seen you in a while," he said. "You missed the weather, right?"

He mustered a lopsided smirk.

"Me? I've been workin' like usual. The Acamar transport was almost a week late this month, so people were gettin' antsy. At least they're happy now. I don't know where Malborn's hiding; he's probably in the back countin' up all the credits he's made since this morning. So what's been goin' on around the Core?"

Kale rarely had an opportunity to hear news about the outside galaxy; usually the best he could do was eavesdrop when Malborn was talking with freighter pilots or with other outlanders who stopped by Kuwaruk Re. Nothing significant ever seemed to happen this far out on the frontier to satisfy a ten-year-old's curiosity. Coruscant, on the other hand--that seemed like exactly the sort of place he wanted to live. And that was one of the reasons he found Abby so interesting.

Sai
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:35:25 PM
"...uh"

.:Sai-Wan watched the display as the Ormongian intentionally tripped Kale, getting a rise out of his folley. He thought to himself and wondered how beings could be so mean to each other and enjoy it, it wasn't like that back home. He stepped closer looking up over the table as Kale sat and began talking. He eyeballed the creds in the center of the table and looked around at the people playing there.

Curious as he was, he wanted to stay and watch, to see what was going on there, rather than go back and sit down. There he stood watching for a few moments before speaking to Kale.:.

"Are...are they usually like that to you around here? Mean like that, I meant to say...ya know, trippin ya and stuff?"

Kale
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:49:26 PM
Kale's eyes snapped toward Sai-Wan--he hadn't noticed the older kid at the table until he spoke. Off-guard as he was, he took the question as a challenge.

"Some are, and some aren't. Usually I can tell the difference and stay out of their way. Who wants to know?"

The kid sized Sai-Wan up. His posture, his clothes, and his curiosity all said "outlander," as if it were stamped in bold letters across his forehead. Kale could also tell he wasn't used to the cold.

"First time on Kuwaruk Re, huh? So, what're you doin' here?"

Sai
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:02:50 PM
"I'm here with my parents. They're doing some kinda business or soemthing, not sure just what."

.:He thumbed to them over his shoulder, giving indication as to who he was speaking of.:.

"Right now though, I'm kinda bored. This place is so cold, not much to do so far...how did you end up here?"

Kale
Nov 7th, 2003, 03:27:42 PM
Kale's face turned sullen. He picked up one of the credit chits from the table and twirled it through his fingers, then, with an expert snap of his thumb, flipped it back into the pile.

"You ask a lot of questions. People usually don't do that too much around here," he said with an air of warning.

The ten-year-old drummed his knuckles on the lacquered tabletop as if to beat the topic out of existence. Then, abruptly, he said, "I've lived here as long as I can remember. My mom came here to find work when I was little, and she couldn't afford to leave. So now I'm stuck here like everybody else. And you'll get stuck here, too, if you stick around long enough."

He turned toward Sai-Wan with a wistful glint in his eyes. "So, I answered your question. Tell me, where did you come from? What's it like? Better than this place, I'll bet."

Sai
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:03:56 AM
"Yeah, tons..."

.:He quickly shut his mouth, thinking that could have sounded very rude.:.

"I apologize, uh...yeah though, it's different. I'm from Wynjin. It's a great place I think, always so nice and warm.Always something to do and so on...I can't wait to get back home. I think I'm getting a cold..."

.:He paused for a moment, then sneezed, covering his mouth and nose to keep from passing the germs. After lifting his head, his hair pulled back to reveal two Elf like ears protruding from the sides of his head.:.

"I have another question, but I'll try to make it my last, if that's okay."

.:It was clear now that Sai-Wan was a very respectful boy, always curteous and soft spoken.:.

"You and your mom, you both want to leave, right?"

Kale
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:58:04 AM
"My mom's dead now," Kale said, matter-of-factly. "I barely knew her. But it don't matter whether I want to leave or not. I can't afford a transport berth. Anyway, the next one's not due for two months. Unless..."

A glimmer of hope sparkled in Kale's eyes, and he spoke in a cautious hush.

"You ain't sayin' you've got a ship of your own?"

Sai
Nov 10th, 2003, 11:50:01 AM
"My parents do."

.:Equally as quiet Sai-Wan replied.:.

"I don't know if it'd be okay, to help and all. I don't want you to be like, in trouble. But, they're pretty understanding. I mean if you want me to ask if they can help, I can ask'em.

It won't be the first time they've helped someone out in your situation before either. They always come to their...what do they call'em...financial venture points. I guess, whatever it is they invest money in they like to check up on. I think that's why they're here today."

Kale
Nov 10th, 2003, 03:55:49 PM
Kale was dumbstruck by the offer for several moments. The idea of escaping this force-forsaken snowball was tantalyzing--he didn't even really care where he went, just so long as it was far away from Kuwaruk Re.

"That'd be... incredible," he said, for lack of a better descriptor.

That was fantasy. Reality wasn't too far behind. Kale's shields went back up, and he slumped in his seat and felt gingerly at the metallic lump buried just beneath the skin at the base of his skull.

"Too bad it ain't ever gonna happen."

He glanced back toward Abby, conscious that the conversation couldn't have gone unnoticed. Nobody on Kuwaruk Re talked too much about getting off, or even getting rich, anymore. Most of them had sacrificed so much in hopes of striking it big that just scrounging up enough to leave again seemed like a surrender. They wore their stubbornness like a badge of pride and scorned anyone who'd trade that for a fresh shot at life from scratch. So it was best not to talk about such things in mixed company.

Abagael Zellan
Nov 13th, 2003, 12:51:28 PM
Though Abby had been listening (obviously), she pretended as though she hadn't. The woman stared at her cards, raised her bet, and winked at Kale.

"Play my hand for me kid. I'm gonna go say hi to Malborn and then I'll be back. Got some fun news for ya."

She rose and sauntered over to the back room, grabbing a beer along the way as if she owned the place. It was as Kale had guessed, Malborn was in the back room with his profits. He didn't seem to notice Abby until she cleared her throat.

"Now I just know you were figuring out my share."

Klaus' head whipped up, and he growled when he saw Abagael.

"What're you doin' 'ere?"

She smiled coyly and began to walk around the room, not touching the grimy shelves that held various piles of junk.

"Came to get my credits. If I'm right, you owe me a couple years worth of profits. Don't forget Klausey, I own half this joint."

"You mean you stole half this joint.

Abby rolled her eyes and sat on the edge of his desk.

"Tell you what I'll do. I'm a generous--"

Malborn snorted derisively. Abagael glared at him before continuing with added emphasis.

"and since I am, I'm gonna cut you a deal. You can give me half of what you've made this month and forget the rest of it if,"

Klaus stared, waiting. When she didn't finish the man punded a fist on his desk.

"If what?

Abby grinned.

"Let's talk about Kale."

Klaus Malborn
Nov 13th, 2003, 01:29:21 PM
Malborn's eyes narrowed at the saucy little woman. Profits had been hard as it was the past few months without her leeching them again.

The large man forced his temper down to a red simmer and lit up a stim to help calm his nerves. Once he'd taken a few puffs, he settled his bulk against the wicker-backed chair and regarded Abby coldly.

"Kale? What about 'im? An' what does he got to do with my profits?"

Abagael Zellan
Nov 14th, 2003, 03:25:14 PM
"Our profits Malborn."

Abby stretched her arms above her head and arched her back, slowly lowering her lithe body onto the desk. She winked from her upside-down perch.

"As much as you love me Klaus, this rock isn't my only interest. I've been a busy little bee on Coruscant. Actually,"

Here she paused and rolled over to her belly, scattering credits and datapads.

"I'm...reforming, somewhat."

Abby shook a hand on which a glittering gem was perched on a wide gold band.

"I'm engaged. And in law school, ironically enough. The point is I don't have time to tie up loose ends anymore."

Abby let that hang for a minute or two. This was a delicate proposal, and she was depending on Malborns credit-loving heart to overrule his contempt for her.

"You let the kid come back to the Core with me, and I forget about all the creds owing me save this months. Hell of a deal for you Klausey."

Klaus Malborn
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:01:38 PM
Malborn gripped his stim firmly in his teeth as he clawed at the financial media Abby was clearing off his desk. Man of the world though he was, he wasn't much impressed by Abby's peculiar manerisms--the sort of figure he was concerned with went in a ledger book. She'd charmed him once before, and that's how he'd gotten in this mess in the first place.

"You're joking," he mumbled past his stimstick, trying to restore the stacks Abby had demolished. "And what in hades' name do you want with a rag like him? You never struck me as the maternally protective type."

Abagael Zellan
Feb 25th, 2004, 12:51:01 PM
"Well... maybe I've changed."

The look in Abby's eyes--one of demanding persuasion laced with impatience--was enough to disprove her last statement. The woman rolled her eyes and sat up on the desk, putting one knee over the other and leafing through a pile of business records as if she were an expert. A frown spread across her face; it wasn't about the figures.

"Why all the suspicion, Klaus? I thought you'd be overjoyed to get rid of the kid, spare yourself the stress of ordering him around."

She dropped the stack in her hands onto the desk carelessly.

"From a certain point of view, I'm doing you a favor."

Klaus Malborn
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:38:46 PM
"Favor?"

Malborn exhaled a long, brown stream of smokey breath into the young lady's face, then smirked grotesquely.

"I won't say he hasn't cost me. The little devil's robbed me almost as often as you have."

The large man turned his attention back to counting and sorting the money on his desk--credits, hard coins, even a gold filling.

"But I can't just think of meself, can I? I've got to think of the boy's wellbeing, too. I couldn't let him go unless I knew he was to be well looked-after. After all, his mum did entrust him to me. You can say you've changed, dearie, but I'd be hard pressed to give him into your care without some reassurance of your good will, you see."

Abagael Zellan
Mar 24th, 2004, 12:50:42 PM
"Hey, I've never robbed you, Klaus. Swindled, yes, blackmailed, sure; but I've never taken anything from you that didn't deserve to be taken."

Abby sighed and uncrossed her legs, which were getting sore.

"Look Klaus, I was just offering to do you a favor. If you're not interested, I'll be taking my credits and getting back to my game."

Klaus Malborn
Mar 30th, 2004, 11:54:38 AM
Malborn covered the stack of creds nearest to Abby with a thick, gnarled hand. Then his lips parted in a crooked-toothed smile.

"Maybe we'll talk about it more later, eh? I'd hate you to leave here on a rotten note, especially with you 'reforming' and all. I'd love to hear who the lucky bloke is... is he rich or handsome?"

Abagael Zellan
Mar 31st, 2004, 05:39:26 PM
"Both."

Abby smiled mischieviously.

"Not that it matters, of course; I'm in love Klaus, this has nothing to do with financial benefit."

She leaned over and placed one of her own slender hands over Klaus', on the credits.

"... but I did think that these would make newlywed life a little more comfortable."

Abby's tone grew serious in an instant, all flirtatious inuendo gone without a trace.

"I'm not planning on turning this little visit into a vacation. I leave in the morning, Malborn, so if we're going to reach an agreement it has to happen now. Quit stalling."