PDA

View Full Version : Though things have been busy lately. . .

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:50:45 PM
Though things have been pretty busy lately for me, I think they've really gotten better lately.

The last couple of months have been especially taxing on me in my job, as the first of the semester always is for a Resident Assistant (RA) of a College Residence Hall. For those of you who don't know exactly what that is, an RA is a student-staff member of a building who lives on the floor or in the building her or she works in. This person is an academic advisor at times, an enforcer of policy at other times, and a counselor and listener to his or her floor most all times.

I'm an RA at Kansas State University, in one of the more typically freshmen, coed residence halls (dorms). My floor consists of about 70 residents--one wing female, one wing male--and they keep me pretty busy day and night. Sometimes, it gets a bit stressful and you have to run out of the Hall screaming and stay away for a few hours, but most of the time it isn't too bad.

I've put alot of work into making my residents feel comfortable around me, making myself an approachable person, and being fair to all of their concerns and needs. Last month, one of my supervisors wrote an "Of the Month (OTM)" award bid for me, and I won RA of the month for KSU. I was very pleased to be recognized, but things got even better.

Once an OTM wins at KSU, and if it is a good bid, the KSU chapter of the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) sends the bid to Regional judges to be consider for the Regional OTM. I was then honored again, in the midwest, as the RA of the month by the Regional Chapter of NRHH. But, it got better!

The Regional Chapter of judges felt that my bid was good enough to go on to the NRHH National board, and I ended up winning the National Resident Assistant of the Month award! I was so excited to hear the news, and it has been a very neat day to be called by everyone and congratulated.

I guess when you do a job that you often get verbally abused, threatened, or chewed out for; when you do a job that keeps you up past 3 AM trying to mediate a conflict between two residents fighting over a boyfriend; when you do a job that requires you to attend over 10 hours of meetings per week, people rarely see the real work you put into it. An award like this, however, makes you realize that you are doing something important, and that people know it. It kinda gives you new energy for the job, even after a pretty worn out month.

It's a very special honor, and I wanted to share it with all of you. Thanks be to SWFans and all of its wonderful people for being a nice release from the stressful world, as I think being here keeps me sane. Thanks also for reading this, and I hope you all have a wonderful day. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:28:09 PM
Wow, congratulations Terran! :D

Dae Jinn
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:16:40 PM
Wow that's awesome! *hug* Congrats. :D

Zasz Grimm
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:29:23 PM
Now you can go rent BBOMN

;)

congratulations, Chris. Ossum.

Nathanial K'cansce
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:56:55 PM
!! That fudging rocks, man. Mad props and congrats.

I hope my RA gets something like that, cause she's a really cool person and very good at that whole RA business. Hell, she put together a floor party this past Friday for Halloween. And she brought STROBE LIGHTS! That deserves something.

But yes, congrats :)

Taylor Millard
Nov 5th, 2003, 01:39:40 PM
Cool! Congrats Terran, that's great to hear! :)

Tear
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:28:04 AM
Ah yes RA's having never stayed on campus i dont have much experiance with them except for one uh incident. Friend of mine invited to a party at one of the dorm buildings and all was well for most of the night. It was like 2am or something and i had uh ingested some alcoholic beverages (woot) anyway..the bathroom was way at the end of the hall and being semi sleep/drunk and a balcony being just a few feet away..you can come to the logical course of action. But what i didnt know was the Ra had rented a jacuuzi and was entertaining a lady friend in it..which was right under the balcony.. so yeah..can kinda guess what happened. Worse thing was i didnt notice until i was finished. He wasnt very happy

lol hope you get better luck then that guy Terran and Conga-rats:p

Silus Xilarian
Nov 6th, 2003, 02:54:04 AM
An RA was entertaining a lady friend AT THE DORM.

What an idiot.

Congrats Terren, hurry the hell up and get back here though, i have to yell at you and turn you to the darkside and stuff ^_^;

Aspara
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:26:12 AM
Thanks be to SWFans and all of its wonderful people for being a nice release from the stressful world, as I think being here keeps me sane.

:lol

We keep YOU sane?

Considering this place is probably crazier then the local nut-house....

Any-ways........Congrats Terran.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:23:46 PM
Thats wonderful, Terran! :)

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:26:24 PM
Tear, that is a disturbing and disgusting story!! I'm glad you lived to tell it, though. :D

Thanks everyone for the congratulating. :)

Oh, and Sillie-boy, you ain't gotta chance! :p

DarthHERA
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:25:04 PM
(sure?)

Congrats Terran - *sniffle* makin us all proud :D