PDA

View Full Version : Test it out!!!

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:23:47 AM
I am considering switching hosts in the next few days maybe a week. The reasons being, we could use more bandwidth and space, especially since its cheaper to get more there than we get here. A savings of about $10/month.

So, I have exported a coy of our database (from about 2 hours ago) over there and made all the needed config changes so that it works with our software.

I'd like to get a little bit of traffic over there doing some posting and whatnot to give it a test run. As far as I can see it appears to run dandily. And as a bonus PhotoPost will now allow gif and png file formats without my having to set it up for one or the other.

Here is the temporary URL:

http://69.56.186.201/forum/index.php

If we do decide to move, our currrent domain names will go with us and there will not be an additional new one. I haven't purchased any new domain names as I just plan to transfer the ones we have over to the new host if it stands up to our testing.

Anyone that has and uses an @sw-fans.net email address will possibly be slightly impacted by the trasfer of domain process as during that time they may need to check mail on two different POP servers (via IP0 until the DNS transfer is totally complete. DNS transfers on domain names can range in how long they take. It could take 2 hours for some and 2 days for others, but it isn't even completely certian we will move yet. We need to test it out first and be sure we want to move.:)

Put it through the wringer.

P.S. Don't post anything too important there. If we do decide to move, we will be overwriting the database.

Mortaniuss
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:41:20 AM
I'm going to give the link to leeloo and tell her to spam until her little heart's content ^_^

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:46:36 AM
Cool by me. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:44:37 AM
Zasz, Leeloo, Shawn, Figrin, and myself all tried it out and decided to go ahead and make the move. The old URLs should start working soon.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:58:12 PM
Okay, I'm really really really liking hytekhosting. I was trying to get them to allow me the ability to park the swforums.net domain name, and they gave me unlimited Domain Parking and Unlimited Domain Add-ons free, not just one of each but frelling Unlimited.

I initially paid for one additional add-on domain in case sometime down the road I needed to Move Meras here and upgrade the space allotment if needed, but now I get unlimited? Wow. I'm impressed.

Sweet! :D

Mortaniuss
Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:51:13 PM
OCHosting wasn't bad, but I think we'll be happier here.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2003, 09:03:12 PM
they sure have my favor right now. First they installed the latest copy of ImageMagick (used with PhotoPost for making thumbs) less than ten minutes after I request it, then they give me those other options. :D :D :D

I sent OCHosting an email today notifying them that I would be transferring the domain names and they are suddenly coming off as begging to try and change my mind, making lame excuses as to why its been since early the 27th I last heard back from them regarding this. I told them flat out they would have to make their deal better than this one for me to even consider going back. >D

...but they have three months to try and convince me since their are no refunds on quarterly payments that have already been made. The space and stuff at OCHosting is mine until late January.

Mortaniuss
Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:46:53 PM
mreh. Looks like it's going to be a bit until I can get a supporter account. Gotta wait till the end of the month, I think.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:42:58 PM
I would like to do the supporter thing but I doubt I will until after Christmas got to watch my money until then.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:57:35 PM
There is no rush o your getting Suppoter accounts. Do it if and when you can. :)

And I just had to post here to say YES!!! We are now getting faster page render times than we ever got at OCHosting. The lowest render time I have seen on this host yet for the main forum index is .212 seconds, while the fastest I ever saw for our forums at OCHosting was .43 seconds. Admins can see these render times when viewing forum pages with the Geonosis, T-Phantom, or Streamlined styles. The render time is located under the footer in those styles.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 4th, 2003, 11:38:37 AM
I only see the render time on the Portal page.

Page generated in 0.191 seconds with 46 Queries Geonosis style. :eek That's an eye popping render time. :D:thumbup

Page generated in 0.222 seconds T-Phantom, although the main forum page loaded much slower than the portal, of course.

Page generated in 0.190 seconds Streamlined. :) I do notice the quick renders, this is great. The Portal used to take a long time to load, I thought it was because of the countdown clock.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:03:02 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I only see the render time on the Portal page.
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
Admins can see these render times when viewing forum pages with the Geonosis, T-Phantom, or Streamlined styles. The render time is located under the footer in those styles. The render times you are seeing, everyone can see, and they are so low, I don't trust them.

Render times aren't quite the same as load times either. A render time the way I am saying it means how long the server took to produce the HTML from the PHP/MySQL combo

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:30:32 PM
Oh I didn't catch that you said "admins" not "mods." My bad.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:31:46 PM
:mneh

But yes, I agree the Portal does load better than it used to now that it has undergone the version upgrade. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:35:04 PM
Unfortunately, I'm still a dork. :mneh

TheHolo.Net
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:36:06 PM
R.C.P.

:lol

Mortaniuss
Nov 5th, 2003, 01:24:25 AM
cool. I was going to reccomend getting rid of one of the image columns at the bottom.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2003, 04:41:16 PM
Our current host has suddenly switched server side PHP into what is called "Safe mode" with no notice ar anything. This change has broken our Gallery upload abilities. I am currently making contact with support to see what can be done. I find this troubling since it was a configuration that was changed after we tested and decided to move here.

Also: On a related note, OCHosting appears to be fielding negotiations for adjusting the hosting package I still have there. We shall see what happenes over the course of the next few days.

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2003, 04:50:59 PM
I don't know if that would be related, but in Genosis style, grey boxes have appeared round some areas, such as the QuickQuote and QuickEdit buttons.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2003, 04:51:59 PM
No, its not related, but I know what the cause is.

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2003, 04:53:26 PM
Okay :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:04:25 PM
I have made a temporary fix for PhotoPost, but gif file uploads are not functional as a result. I'm not sure about png.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:38:58 PM
I have switched it back to the way it was so that the host support staff can help troubleshoot the problem.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2003, 06:07:02 PM
The host has witched PHP Safe Mode back to "Off" for us, and PhotoPost is now fully functional again. :D

Charley
Nov 13th, 2003, 06:18:10 PM
Hooray :)