PDA

View Full Version : Test it out!!!

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:23:47 AM
I am considering switching hosts in the next few days maybe a week. The reasons being, we could use more bandwidth and space, especially since its cheaper to get more there than we get here. A savings of about $10/month.

So, I have exported a coy of our database (from about 2 hours ago) over there and made all the needed config changes so that it works with our software.

I'd like to get a little bit of traffic over there doing some posting and whatnot to give it a test run. As far as I can see it appears to run dandily. And as a bonus PhotoPost will now allow gif and png file formats without my having to set it up for one or the other.

Here is the temporary URL:

http://69.56.186.201/forum/index.php

If we do decide to move, our currrent domain names will go with us and there will not be an additional new one. I haven't purchased any new domain names as I just plan to transfer the ones we have over to the new host if it stands up to our testing.

Anyone that has and uses an @sw-fans.net email address will possibly be slightly impacted by the trasfer of domain process as during that time they may need to check mail on two different POP servers (via IP0 until the DNS transfer is totally complete. DNS transfers on domain names can range in how long they take. It could take 2 hours for some and 2 days for others, but it isn't even completely certian we will move yet. We need to test it out first and be sure we want to move.:)

Put it through the wringer.

P.S. Don't post anything too important there. If we do decide to move, we will be overwriting the database.

Figrin D'an
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:49:19 AM
It works... and stuff.

That's my assessment so far. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:44:20 AM
Thanks Fig!

Zasz, Leeloo, Shawn, Figrin, and myself all tried it out and decided to go ahead and make the move. The old URLs should start working soon.

Master Yoghurt
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:53:43 AM
Looks like the transfer is going smooth so far. Only waiting for the DNS to update :)

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:43:38 PM
*poke* Yep, looks fine for me. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:30:57 PM
From my end, both of our previous domain names are now resolving to this host. Things have gone quite smoothly from what I can tell.

Zasz Grimm
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:46:15 PM
'testing' it out gave me so much frustration release. Must do it again. :)