PDA

View Full Version : Matrix : Revolutions

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 31st, 2003, 11:34:01 PM
http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=16418

These... reviews of Matrix Revolutions are scary. Much as I think AICN are the scum at the bottom of the pond, this is not looking good.

But I'm sure that even if it is crap, there will be enough money there to pay for a lifetime of crack and hookers for all involved.

I really cant get myself enthused to see Revolutions. Not at all :x

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 1st, 2003, 03:51:49 AM
I'll go and see it, definetly. But I don't have high hopes for it.

he hand-to-hand combat is boringly staged, about one step above RELOADED's teahouse fight

yick. I really didn't like a lot of the combat in Reloaded, so if it's going to be worse in this one :\

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:52:12 PM
*pout*

I agree, watching a fight where you know who will always win is boring. I'm gonna see it, but if I had to choose between that and, say, Prisoner of Azkaban or ROTK, they would win, hands down.

Zasz Grimm
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:11:50 AM
Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian
*pout*

I agree, watching a fight where you know who will always win is boring. I'm gonna see it, but if I had to choose between that and, say, Prisoner of Azkaban or ROTK, they would win, hands down.

i gotta say, i'm looking forward to revolutions more than any other movie the rest of the year. I'll see ROTK, but I'm not as more into LOTR as I am The Matrix. I don't trust spoilers or reviews- or even read them anymore.

I'll base my opinion on what I see in the film.

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:53:13 AM
Y'know, I would agree except for the fact that, even though my expectations were not that high, Reloaded was still dissapointing for many reasons. The original Matrix was great, I still dig it, but... meh... I'm just not as enthused now.

Zasz Grimm
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:25:45 PM
well, if you think about it- it had to be kinda dull / boring.

to set up the ending.

anyone remember episode 2?

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:29:49 PM
well, if you think about it- it had to be kinda dull / boring.

to set up the ending.

that is awful logic :x

Zasz Grimm
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:21:51 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
that is awful logic :x

I enjoyed reloaded. Just trying to put it into perspective for everyone else.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:53:57 PM
I don't think just because it was the 'linking' movie that it should be bad, tho.

Look at Empire! That was the best of the three!

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:58:20 PM
^ Listen to her, you should! :)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:07:32 PM
Star Wars was alright but it was Empire that turned me into a die hard SW fan :love

Zasz Grimm
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:59:37 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
I don't think just because it was the 'linking' movie that it should be bad, tho.

Look at Empire! That was the best of the three!

Reloaded wasn't bad, IMO.

;)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:02:36 AM
I'm not excited in the least by the release of what I see as "the all hype all special effects fanboy machine" that the Matrix sequels are. I will say that I will not pay to see it in a theatre by my own monetary means. I'm not saying I won't see it shortly after it comes out, but I am saying that I won't be spending my cash to.

Reloaded was a pitiful follow-up to what was a great movie on its own, the original.

Zasz Grimm
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:05:39 AM
I'll agree it's quite the shadow of it's predecessor.. But I liked it. Sure, it could've been alot better.

But I am a fanboy. It's kinda like how I see every Alien / Predator movie regardless.

I have a feeling that Revolutions will save Reloaded.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 4th, 2003, 02:12:38 AM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
I'm not excited in the least by the release of what I see as "the all hype all special effects fanboy machine" that the Matrix sequels are. I will say that I will not pay to see it in a theatre by my own monetary means. I'm not saying I won't see it shortly after it comes out, but I am saying that I won't be spending my cash to.

Reloaded was a pitiful follow-up to what was a great movie on its own, the original.

Quoted for great truth

Reloaded COULD have been much better and what pisses me off is that the problems are obvious. The editing was pathetic. Someone should shove a size nine up Joe silver's ass and tell him opening his mouth only makes him look stupid.

You really want a rundown on what was wrong with reloaded, from the guy who animated the burly brawl? http://www.jefflew.com, his words make for interesting reading.

Charley
Nov 4th, 2003, 02:18:42 AM
I find it delicious irony that all the SW bashing that the matrix makers and fanboys dished out in the beginning is swinging around and kicking them in the balls.

Bear in mind that I like the Matrix, and I even like Reloaded to an extent. However, its probably more to do with Agent Smith being such an incredibly cool villain.

Neo? Morpheus? Trinity? BLAH...to hell with them.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 4th, 2003, 02:33:38 AM
Smith = Cool ass because Hugo Weaving can actually act. He just drips menace with that voice.

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 4th, 2003, 03:25:02 PM
Neo? Morpheus? Trinity? BLAH...to hell with them.

Amen. *Snuggles up to her collection of villains.*

Reloaded could have been soo much better, and that's entirely up to the individual so I shan't bore you with that again. What is true, universally I think, is that it left me feeling really dissapointed... and not because of the ending. So many things were jammed into the movie that didn't need to be there, and they just detracted from the overall experience and instead of feeling invested in the characters at the end, especially with a neat cliffhanger ending, you just feel really bored with the whole lot of them.

Figrin D'an
Nov 4th, 2003, 05:19:45 PM
I normally don't pay attention to critical review that much before I see a film, but I have to admit, my mild interest in seeing Revolutions has all but disappeared. A lot of movie critics whom liked Reloaded (as well as the first film) are hammering on Revolutions, or at least saying that it isn't up to snuff and that it goes out with a whimper.

That's not good. Not good at all.

Zasz Grimm
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:41:54 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
I normally don't pay attention to critical review that much before I see a film, but I have to admit, my mild interest in seeing Revolutions has all but disappeared. A lot of movie critics whom liked Reloaded (as well as the first film) are hammering on Revolutions, or at least saying that it isn't up to snuff and that it goes out with a whimper.

That's not good. Not good at all.

And you trust critics...why?

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:05:35 AM
Originally posted by Zasz Grimm

why the angst against critics?

Hey guess what. You put an opinion on a movie, your a critic too. are you lumping yourself with them too?

Zasz Grimm
Nov 7th, 2003, 02:11:00 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
why the angst against critics?

Hey guess what. You put an opinion on a movie, your a critic too. are you lumping yourself with them too?

Am I a certified one? No. I don't publish my feelings. It was a good movie. It's kinda like when someone tells you LOTR is trash. You don't agree with them, and then you go off on them.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:35:13 AM
Oh don't even get started on this arguement :p it's not worth it

Figrin D'an
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:46:36 PM

It's not about trust. I'm mearly pointing out that Revolutions is receiving a significantly smaller number of positive reviews than it's predecessor. It's difficult to not notice such a thing when deciding upon whether to see it or not. One small factor among many.

If it makes you feel better, the generally positive reviews that have been posted in the Box Office forum make me more inclined to see it. I'll likely wait until next weekend, but at least the interest is there.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:24:20 PM
There is no way I am seeing the movie in theaters after hearing the review on NPR, which nailed Reloaded perfectly. Its like a really boring videogame with bad editing, sans interaction and fun.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:58:54 PM
I've seen it now, for free. I have to say I am glad I didn't pay.

I found the pitiful excuse for an ending to be even more open ended and full of unanswered questions than the first movie of the trilogy. I get the impression that they intend to try and keep milking this cash cow, keeping the utters warm and ready for the next go round.

Hell, the Oracle even hinted that Neo would be back, in the last bit of dialogue in the film. PATHETIC

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:01:37 PM
I enjoyed it more than Reloaded, simply because I wasn't getting bored. In Reloaded there were quite a few times were I ended up sitting thinking "I wish they would just get on with it". I think the only time that happened in Revolutions was when Trinity was dying.

That aside, it wasn't anything special but then I didn't think it was really bad either. Average.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:04:00 PM
I'm not one that wanted a happy ending out of it, but I am one that wanted an actual ending. All they did was give us a temporary ending. I find that to be a piss poor cop out.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:05:34 PM
Yeah... it did seem unfinished, and a little forced. I couldn't see the machines drawing a truce with the humans after Neo had dealt with Smith. IMO, they would have just went on with the invasion of Zion.

Zasz Grimm
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:43:32 PM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
I've seen it now, for free. I have to say I am glad I didn't pay.

I found the pitiful excuse for an ending to be even more open ended and full of unanswered questions than the first movie of the trilogy. I get the impression that they intend to try and keep milking this cash cow, keeping the utters warm and ready for the next go round.

Hell, the Oracle even hinted that Neo would be back, in the last bit of dialogue in the film. PATHETIC

Matrix Online.

I have to agree, the ending sucked. It could've been alot better, but I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the film. They put too much Christ reference- in saying he'll be back one day. Hence the rapture, etc.

Shit, IMO. But I still thought it was good.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:45:12 PM
I might just be because I'm not religious, but I didn't notice anything Christ related at all.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:54:08 PM
Matrix Online. Nope, thats not enough for as open ended as they left the trilogy, nor will it be the cash cow the films are.

imported_Eve
Nov 9th, 2003, 10:43:16 AM
If I saw someone in these forums give credit to the art that is the Matrix, hell would freeze over. Everyone's a critic (and everyone always has something to say).

I liked it. I'm a major martial arts fan, and wished there was more in Revolutions. I thought Revolutions was much better than Reloaded. The Zion/War scene was awesome. Between Narobi's flying, and the ridiculous amount of sentinals that bashed Zion, I found my jar propped open a few times (and that's saying something). My two guy-friends that went with me cried a couple times (like when Trinity died), but I did not. It was kind of was a tear jerker nonetheless.

Now here is my geek babble on the movie's meaning. Take it or leave it, but I though the movies; the entire story was brilliant.

The way it ended is the only way. I think people thought the machines would have to be destroyed, but that can't happen. We rely on them. There had to be a peace, or coexistence.... WHICH if you watch the Animatrix shorts and see how the war began, it parallels the overcoming racism theme.

Smith had to copy himself over Neo, because that's the only way Neo would overcome all of the Smiths. It's like the Borg on ST. They assimilate, and gain personas, and eventually sects of them have individuality. Neo had to die to defeat Smith (the mutual problem of the human and machine world). His death was like a peace offering for the machines (who didn't want to segregate themselves from humans in the first place - see the Animatrix).

This is what Sci Fi is - the taking of a current issue (racisim, fearing what is different, human superiorty complex, etc.) and putting it in a fantastic context to teach everyone a lesson. And only certain humans will get it. Sci fi isn't the most popular genre because most humans are less than qualified to repopulate.

Great story - told in a beautiful way. The first movie was the best, but after you get the whole point, the sequels make the story art, and the first movie a commerical machine. The story had to go on.

They leave it open at the end, because it could happen again. Because humans make mistakes over and over again.

We used to segregate blacks. Now we segregate gays. Next it will be genetics, then maybe machines. We have to keep going through the same patterns, but we keep finding new things to hate. That's what the Matrix is - that's what the architect was talking about - we can't just be peaceful - we have to hate something - the world doesn't turn when we're oblivious to evil. We have to know evil to know what is good.

Many sci-fi stories have this premise and background point, but encase it in something fantastic.

Brilliant story.

Zasz Grimm
Nov 9th, 2003, 06:28:57 PM
:love

Figrin D'an
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:52:04 AM
Originally posted by Eve
My two guy-friends that went with me cried a couple times (like when Trinity died), but I did not. It was kind of was a tear jerker nonetheless.

Interestingly enough, there was a similar reaction from a few people in the theatre when I saw it, but only from guys.

Trinity's death was emotionally flat for me, primarily because the on-screen chemistry between Moss and Reeves was non-existent. Carrie-Anne did a better job at spots in the three films than Keanu did, but it was still bland. Oh well...

The film was about what I expected. I posted a few general comments in the thread in the Box Office forum, and after having a few days to think about the film, my opinion remains pretty much intact. The ending didn't surprise me (it was one of two that I considered truely possible before entering the theater), and I didn't consider it a disappointment. The final fight sequence between Smith and Neo wasn't all that impressive... the final moments in the crater in the middle of the street were far more interesting than the battle itself. Zion was fairly entertaining. Trinity and Neo's flight to the machine city had some nice symbolism.

I still think that the first film is, by far, the superior of the three, but Reloaded and Revolutions were decent in their own right. Good story, execution was questionable at times, but still enjoyable.

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:40:39 PM
Yeah, I pretty much wasn't moved through Trinity's death, mostly because I saw it coming.

The way it ended is the only way. I think people thought the machines would have to be destroyed, but that can't happen.

See, I spent an hour and a half after this movie talking to my die-hard matrix defender boyfriend about this... and that's what I came up with too. Not a satisfying ending, in terms of the average moviegoing audience, but a realistic one nonetheless.

That said...

I understand the plot, the meaning, and the symbolism... I get that humans are fallable and, thusly, the things they create are just as driven to find a place in the world... but gosh darn it, can't a person just plain ol' not like a movie? I still feel the same way: The music was better than the movie. :)

Charley
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:25:36 PM
For me, leaving it open-ended doesn't imply a sequel. Think like a program. The entire story can be summed up as a loop function, with a seeded random number generator. Zero or One, and based on that outcome, the process restarts.

Its interesting that either choice that Neo makes when the Architecht presents it to him, they both result in the same thing.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 15th, 2003, 04:58:08 PM
It was not a great movie by most means - The special effects of the final fight, Zion and the Hellfire club (Which is a real dance club in Sydney) were top stuff and much better edited and were great. I was never bored, unlike Reloaded. Soem of that really were the best effects put on screen.

Music sucked.

Loved Agent Smith

Also, I believe a lot of what Neo is, is pretty clear now. We got answers, but you might need to review all three movies, especially the original to really work them out. Neo is clearly no longer just human. The human part of him died in the end, The program side did not.

If anything, Revolutions only worked because of the first movie. I was reminded and drawn back to it again and again. That's not a bad thing.

While the ending was flat to most, I thought it was fitting. Neo's real purpose all along was to brign peace between the machines and humans, so maybe he will be needed again one day.

Overall, yeah not bad. Much better than Reloaded.