PDA

View Full Version : A Typically Japanese WTF

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 31st, 2003, 06:04:17 AM
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/031030/80/eckti.html

Click to enlarge photo

TOKYO (Reuters) - Yoshihiro Koshimoto, a 43-year-old Japanese company employee, insists he doesn't play with dolls.

So what's he doing with a furry gnome-like toy that looks like an adorable cartoon character?

"He's more like family," Koshimoto says of his Primopuel, a doll that talks like a five-year-old boy. "When I'm tired from work or other things, I hold his hand and he asks me things like 'Are you OK?' and that makes me happy."

Developed by Bandai, Japan's largest toy maker, Primopuel can utter 280 randomly selected phrases on cue from sensors located on various parts of its body. This feature has won the doll an adult following.

Since the doll's debut in November 1999, the company has surpassed its initial expectations by selling 800,000 Primopuels, at 6,980 yen each (37 pounds). A cuddly toy that sells 30,000 to 40,000 units is considered a hit in Japan's toy industry.

Primopuel's success, however, is due to its target market -- adults.

"This product was developed to target single females in their early 20s. A partner to play with when they felt lonely," said Rika Kida, in charge of public relations at Bandai.

Adults are becoming an important market for Japanese toy makers, whose traditional market -- children -- is shrinking as Japan's society ages.

"(The number of) purely child-oriented toys is on the decline," Keita Satoh, president of Takara Co Ltd, told Reuters.

"But I am not pessimistic about the future... Toys aimed at adults are becoming popular."

:rolleyes

Master Yoghurt
Oct 31st, 2003, 06:13:47 AM
No need too feel lonely. All rush and buy one! :p

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 31st, 2003, 06:18:48 AM
Toys aimed at adults are becoming popular

I dont know who the brain fart was that came up with this realisation, but adults have always loved playing with toys. (No, not... those toys :p )

Adults generally have money. And I'd be the one who would love the train set! Or Lego set! Hey, gimme some Mindstorm!

imported_Firebird1
Oct 31st, 2003, 10:15:48 AM
*Looks at his Transformers, Hot Wheels, Star Wars action figures, and GI Joes and wonders what they mean by 'for kids'*

I've got a bookcase full of this stuff.... so I'm not crazy...

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 31st, 2003, 11:26:03 AM
Japan is a very scary place. :cry

Leten Snat
Oct 31st, 2003, 12:20:32 PM
On most of the Lego I have it says it's for ages 5-12... I'M 21 and STILL BUYING LEGO!

Darth Viscera
Oct 31st, 2003, 12:22:56 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Japan is a very scary place. :cry

truth!

Falcon Gyndar
Oct 31st, 2003, 05:56:26 PM
Originally posted by Leten Snat
On most of the Lego I have it says it's for ages 5-12... I'M 21 and STILL BUYING LEGO!

I still paly with lego too... You know what else was fun? tinkertoys!! But i liked them better when they were made of wood. i hear they're plastic now...

Morgan Evanar
Nov 1st, 2003, 12:44:29 PM
I hope none of you honestly thought I bought a new video card for work.

Geez, if I was serious about work I would have gone Matrox.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 1st, 2003, 08:09:19 PM
Takara's latest hit is Bowlingual, a palm-sized device that the company says can gauge a dog's mood by its bark. It became an instant hit, selling 300,000 units in Japan since last year.

The company launched a Korean-speaking version in South Korea for about 160,000 won early this year and an English version in the U.S. market in August for about $120.

Hoping to follow up on this success, Takara late next month will launch Meowlingual, a cat interpreter.

w.t.f.

^_^; Somehow I want one.

Telan Desaria
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:21:11 PM
I want a cat as well.