PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Box office Contest

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 30th, 2003, 08:19:26 PM
Ok its almost that time again. The contest begins next week so I figure I put this up as a reminder and a discussion as to what will be happening. The contest will start next Thursday with Matrix Revolution coming out.

Here are the basic rules

Period of contest: 6th of november - 31'st of december

1. How to play: Each weekend, predict the order of the top 5 movies, and how much each film will make. To make sure people don’t make the same predictions, post your dollar figures to the nearest ten thousand, for example "25.58M" (25 million 580 thousand).

2. Movie Order Points: For every film you place in the correct order, you get 5 points. If you get #1- 5 right, you would get 25 points.

3. Accuracy Points: The closest person to each of the five films also gets points, and they are as follows;

# 1 - 25 pts
# 2 - 20 pts
# 3 - 15 pts
# 4 - 10 pts
# 5 - 5 pts

Please notice; you only get points for a movie if you have it in the right #1-5 position.

4. Double Points Weekends. Points are doubled on the following weekends:
* Thanksgiving; 28 november - 1st of december. All points are doubled.
* ROTK weekend; 17-21 december. Double points for ROTK 5-day weekend and the rest of the top 5.
* Matrix Revolution weekend 6-9 nov. Double points for Matrix prdiction.
*Christmas Weekend Dec. 25-28
(I am debating what to do with New Years. This year New Years day falls on a Thursday but I am not sure how the studios will count that but most schools will still be out on Friday I would think so it might be a big weekend)

5. "The Price is Right" - bonus for extreme accuracy. If someone guess a movie correct down to the nearest 10-thousandth, the contestant will be awarded with 50 extra points, in addition to the points he won that weekend. Example: If a movie makes 25.343M and you predict 25.34M, you will win the bonus.

6. Deadline: All predictions must be in by saturday 9 am EST every weekend. On double points weekends, special deadline will apply. Please make sure your predictions are in before the deadline, however, we may look the other way if the estimates are not yet made public and/or it is obvious such results have not been seen.

7. Who can play? Everyone. It is fun! You may enter or exit the contest at any time or post predictions whenever you like, as long it is within the deadline. Of course, be aware maximum participation increases your chances of a high score at the final tally, so it is recommended to participate as often as possible (it makes your predicting look smarter! ).

8. The winner: The player with the most points at the end of contest, wins instant fame and glory (being worshipped by the all the BO forum posters) AND a prize!

Okay here is an added thing this year if I can work it out with the higher ups, we might be able to give away one 6 month (how long could still change) free subscription to the new Supporter Exclusive forums and/or a free email acount. Not sure how that will work yet but I am trying to give something to the winner this time.

So any thoughts, questions?

Master Yoghurt
Oct 30th, 2003, 08:26:32 PM
Sounds all good. Get ready to be pwned! :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 30th, 2003, 08:33:03 PM
Heh we will see :)

TheHolo.Net
Oct 30th, 2003, 08:37:55 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Okay here is an added thing this year if I can work it out with the higher ups, we might be able to give away one 6 month (how long could still change) free subscription to the new Supporter Exclusive forums and/or a free email acount. Not sure how that will work yet but I am trying to give something to the winner this time. How about the winner of the contest gets his/her choice of a 6 month free "Suporter" account (6 month extension if already a supporter) or a @sw-fans.net email address?

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 30th, 2003, 08:44:07 PM
That sounds good to me.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 30th, 2003, 08:52:07 PM
Then it is decided.

You might should post a news item about this in the Portal News forum so the contest is announced on the Portal Page too. :)

I'll adjust the text allowed on the portal to fit your topic if you start one.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 30th, 2003, 08:53:19 PM
I'll own your bums :D

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 30th, 2003, 09:31:50 PM
I just posted it on the portal.

Also this is to those who have done the contest in the past should we try a double weekend for New Years? I say that because it might be a big deal with it falling on a Thursday it will probably be a 4 day deal like Labor Day.

Syo
Nov 1st, 2003, 12:45:19 PM
Sounds like fun, I'll play even though I don't know what I am doing.

Master Yoghurt
Nov 1st, 2003, 01:00:36 PM
Yeah, lets make New Year a double points weekend too. It would not hurt with some drama at the end. In other word, its not going to be over before its over.. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 1st, 2003, 09:58:20 PM
Yeah like the Summer with Labor day. I am sure glad we didn't start it this weekend, Friday's numbers were terrible with Scary Movie 3 droping 75% (that is some drop), and Brother Bear opening on a Saturday is very hard to figure out what it will do. I think that is why I didn't want to start it this weekend :p Oh and you are welcome to try everyone here is, and I don't think any of us know what we are truely doing except maybe Yoghurt ;)