PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ryla (and other Harry Potter Fans)

Brian
Oct 30th, 2003, 11:00:07 AM
Join me, and together we will free ALL Garden Gnomes!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=857&ncid=757&e=10&u=/nm/20031028/od_uk_nm/oukoe_odd_france_gnomes

Charley
Oct 30th, 2003, 11:12:17 AM
uh, k.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 30th, 2003, 11:21:43 AM
How could you not notice people stealing your gnomes?

Nevlonniel
Oct 30th, 2003, 11:35:18 AM
"Yeah, lemme just stuff this garden gnome in my pack pocket and look really discreet as I drop it off at the steps of a Cathedral."

o_O

Crystal
Oct 30th, 2003, 01:24:04 PM
What does it have to do with harry potter, now?

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 30th, 2003, 01:25:25 PM
They had that.. House elf liberation thing?

SWOT was it? something like that. SWAT SWOT SNOT... meh.

Mortaniuss
Oct 30th, 2003, 01:44:03 PM
Actually... I had a cunning plan to re-enact a scene from Amelie that involved Garden Gnomes. ^_^;

Zeke
Oct 30th, 2003, 01:44:11 PM
SPEW, it was.

Ceres Duvall
Oct 30th, 2003, 01:54:46 PM
Yep. SPEW. Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare

*read all five books within a month and a half* I was addicted.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 30th, 2003, 02:09:37 PM
Originally posted by Mortaniuss
Actually... I had a cunning plan to re-enact a scene from Amelie that involved Garden Gnomes. ^_^;

I haven't seen that movie, but now I almost feel as though I have to just to find out what you're suggesting :lol

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 30th, 2003, 02:12:54 PM
I read all 5 books within a week and a half. No big deal.

But yeah, that's funny.

Zeke and I were in Strasbourg last Christmas.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 30th, 2003, 02:14:26 PM
Originally posted by Ceres Duvall
Yep. SPEW. Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare

*read all five books within a month and a half* I was addicted.

Originally posted by Wei Wu Wei
I read all 5 books within a week and a half. No big deal.

But yeah, that's funny.

Zeke and I were in Strasbourg last Christmas.

You guys need to take a look at this link (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=4&u=/nm/20031030/od_nm/harrypotter_dc) about reading too much Harry Potter being bad for your health ;)

(the link is serious btw, not a joke)

Kelt Simoson
Oct 30th, 2003, 02:38:05 PM
BOOOOO

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 30th, 2003, 03:40:38 PM
That's funny. I never got headaches from reading Harry Potter. It's incredibly stupid reasoning though. Just cause kids get headaches while reading Harry Potter doesn't mean Harry Potter causes the headaches. Stupid researchers...

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 30th, 2003, 03:41:35 PM
Heh... Gnome liberation.

Man, that so reminds me of high school. ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 30th, 2003, 03:42:30 PM
That's funny. I never got headaches from reading Harry Potter. It's incredibly stupid reasoning though. Just cause kids get headaches while reading Harry Potter doesn't mean Harry Potter causes the headaches. Stupid researchers...

I think the idea was that it wasn't Harry, it was that they were reading for such long periods. I know my eyes start to hurt and I get a bit of a headache if I read anything for a long time.

Figrin D'an
Oct 30th, 2003, 03:49:54 PM

Reading for extended periods of time without pause can cause muscle strain around the eyes. This can cause headaches. It's just been observed quite a bit with kids reading the latest Harry Potter book because they attempt to read it in one sitting. That's the point the doctor in the article is attempting to make.

Edit: Dasq beat me to it....

Ceres Duvall
Oct 30th, 2003, 03:59:00 PM
I did get headaches from reading too much, but it's normal for me. I get headaches ALL the time. lol I deal with it.

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 30th, 2003, 06:12:54 PM
Little wimps.

Back in my day, we had to play with rocks. We didn't have no books to read.

;)

Actually, I read book 5 in one sitting, about 7 hours if I remember correctly, and of course my eyes hurt. That's a Duh. I actually talked to one guy and he said that he bought the book early but wouldn't let his kids read it untill their christmas break, when they were going on a long plane trip. That's a great way to get them to sit still.

Crystal
Oct 30th, 2003, 08:36:50 PM
Originally posted by Mortaniuss

That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this, actually. Even though I never finished watching that movie..