PDA

View Full Version : New to the scene (open)

Vren Demos
Oct 29th, 2003, 03:58:51 PM
OOC: This is my first post, I'm kinda new to this, so if I do something wrong let me know.

Vren slowly walked into the bar, quietly he slung his satchel over his right shoulder. Vren straightened his dewback jacket, his thin frame suggested weakness but his long body was in perfect physical condition, and sat at the bar. In his quiet bass voice he addressed the bartender.

"Ale, Hapan no. 5 if you have it."

Shifting uncomfortably on the stool he looked around the room. Being his first time off Hapes as a civilian he was a little unsure of himself, however his military training allowed him the comfort of knowing that he could take care of himself. Sighing he settled down and waited for his drink never losing his stiff military posture.

DarthHERA
Oct 31st, 2003, 11:34:46 PM
Hera's tone was half-joking, half-serious as she stepped up to Vren's table.

"You Imp's have your GPS crap out on you again? Loose your way have you?"

The guy had to be lost- if he was Imperial - which Hera guessed he could be, based on his rigid military posture as he sat.

She smiled, but it never reached to her eyes as she looked down on the new face to Poseidon's Gate.

Vren Demos
Nov 1st, 2003, 03:33:49 PM
Vren answered the voice wihout turning, and let a slight bit of contempt creeping into his usually controlled calm voice.

"If you are suggesting that I am an Imperial I am offeneded. Please do not insult my honor." As Vren spoke he braced for combat prepared to defend his honor if neccecary. Vren turned and his eyes widened in surprise.

"I am sorry my lady, I meant no offense by my tone. Forgive me. I am Hapan we do not take kindly to Imperial interference in our systems."

Vren bowed his head, and forced his body to relax. Not meeting the woman's gaze as was customary.

DarthHERA
Nov 1st, 2003, 10:34:05 PM
"No need to apologise" she said, as she sat down, joining his table uninvited.

"And I'll let you in on a little secret, honor has a whole different meaning here" she gestured with a sweeping hand to the clientel of cutthroats and theives that populated the place, "so dont feel you need to prove anything."

She smiled, as the man seemed to not want to meet her gaze.

"So, not a fan of the Imperials huh. Thats a big club"

Vren Demos
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:21:02 PM
As she sat, Vren relaxed slightly. Hapan custom did not allow him to relax to much especially around females.

"Aye I imagine few truly care for the Imperials, but then where I'm from we don't care to much for the New Republic either."

Vren almost smiled, but old memories cut it short, remembering his manners he introduced himself.

"Forgive me for being rude my lady. I did not introduce myself, I am Vren Demos. Captain in the Hapan royal guard..."

Vren stuttered and corrected himself. "Ex-Captain, I mean."

Vren met her gaze only for a second and then stared down at the bar.

DarthHERA
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:36:33 PM
Ex-Captain....There was a story there.

Hera was quick on the uptake.

"Caught kissing the Admirals daughter were you?"

Vren Demos
Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:01:52 PM
"Not exactly. In the Hapan military discipline and tradition are key. If you follow orders and are a good soldier then you advance in the ranks. However I ran into a problem, my superior in anger gave an order that killed most of my squadron. I responded and..."

Vren's body seemed to droop in disgrace.

"I killed him and six of his personal bodyguards. I am now what is it in basic? A hunted man, with a price on my head. I was exiled from Hapes shortly after. I stole a Hapan frieghter and took what little personal belongings I had and left. My wife and son both stayed behind, most likely they were imprisoned or worse."

Vren's military bearing quickly cracked and his voice rose. "And I could really use a drink."

He quickly looked down, disgraced from his outburst and glanced around the room.

DarthHERA
Nov 2nd, 2003, 06:32:20 PM
The server brought Hera's rum, and finally, the Beer for Vren. It was not Hapan 5. but Hera doubted the man, in his present state, would care.

She sipped her drink thoughtfully before speaking, and when she did reply, it was with the simple logic she always lived by.

"Whats done is done. Your commander got what he deserved. Your family...well that's another story. But it is the price one pays for having a conscience."

Hera came across as heartless - which in truth, she was, as most knew. What did she care about this stranger and his tale of woe. Except that he might bring focus to Enton that otherwise would not have been brought to bear by those searching for him.

"Did anyone follow you to Enton?"

The question was simple and direct. Vren had better hope the answer was in all truth "No".

Vren Demos
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:21:39 PM
Vren drank slowly from his drink, once his head was again clear he answered her question, simple and to the point.

"No, I microjumped in system and lost my pursuers long before coming here." Vren patted his satchel. "And I doubt they will send anyone for awhile, and if I were pursued would it matter? I don't mean to be rude, but it appears that by the looks of this place if a person didn't want to be found they wouldn't have any trouble."

Vren looked around the room at the various occupants. Then tradition took over.

"I appologize you obviously have some deep conection to the establishment. I assure you that if my people, or bounty hunters come looking for me. I will leave and cause you little trouble."

Vren shifted in his seat wondering suddenly just how dangerous the bar truly was, much more so than he had first imagined.

DarthHERA
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:18:50 PM
This answer seemed to satisfy the Sith, and she stretched back like a large sleek cat.

"So....how can we be of assistance to you, Mr. Demos?"

Vren Demos
Nov 4th, 2003, 11:54:39 AM
Vren shifted unsure about how to approach the subject. Without much else to lose Vren shrugged and said it.

"I need work, if I am to lose my old self then I need credits. I have skills, you don't make it in the Hapan Special Forces without them. I suppose since I don't operate with the Hapan Royal Army anymore then I am..." the words seem to make Vren sick to his stomach and he spit them out almost in contempt, "a mercenary."

Vren smiled and let out a low chuckle. Slowly he adjusted a thick wrist unit into a more comfortable position.

"I should've brought my resume."

Vren downed the rest of his beer and waited for her response.

Vren Demos
Nov 5th, 2003, 01:24:38 PM
Vren slowly eased his hand beneath his jacket and with a barely audible click acivated the very thing that had caused his squadron to die in the first place. The pain it caused as it activated made him wince.

"More importantly, I need to sell my old frieghter and with those funds purchase a new ship."

Small tendrils of angony traced red lines across his vision. And he gripped the table hard. Struggling for breath the last component silently slid into place over his chest. Taking a deep breath Vren shook his head, and spoke.

"Shall I show you a demonstration of my skills that I believe would make me a valuable assest to this...,"

"industry."

DarthHERA
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:07:07 AM
Hera watched as Vren gripped the table suddenly and his face took on a studied concentration.

HIs offer to demonstrate surprised her a little as, for a moment there, she thought he might collapse in front of her.

"....Alright...But I'll tell you I haven't been hiring lately. You are going to have to impress me."

She looked as dubious as she sounded.

Vren Demos
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:20:35 PM
Vren smiled and cracked his neck, the pain had subsided as it always did. He slowed his breathing and forced his muscles to relax.

"Allow me to show you the instrument that many Hapan's died securing."

Vren's nerve ending flashed and slowly the tiny molecules of nano-armor spurted from their pockets on his chest. The molecules, each an independent piece of technology quickly spread over his body linking into his skin cells and nervous system. Like a black rash it crept under his clothes over his entire body stopping at his neck.

"This is a Xanic prototype living armor. Not machine and not natural technology, when the Vong attacked a small outpost in Hapan space the people engineered living armor that could resist the invaders. Its a fascinating piece of technology, it feeds of my nervous system, and literally makes its own weaponry."

The suit itself cralwed in anticipation. And Vren gestured with his right hand, at the wrist the tiny molecules contracted and a whiplike tendril snaked out and crushed the empty bottle on the table, then returned to his wrist.

"If you need more proof, I'm sure someone here wouldn't mind firing on me with a blaster, just as a demonstration."

Vren smiled and prepared as the suit adjusted to the situation as it always did. Although he had trouble controlling it at times, the suit was slowly assimilating into his system and the ability to control it would soon become a natural part of his bodily functions. Calmly Vren waited for Hera's response.

DarthHERA
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:27:54 PM
Hera was fascinated by the display.

She had a weapon that morphed to that which she envisioned in her mind - it was a symbiotic link of sorts with a biologic creature she had tamed and named the Morphal Crest...but this...this was something even more unique.

Vren declared its resistance to blaster fire, and Hera needed no second invitation.

Taking her blaster from the holster at her thigh, she lifted it and aimed it point blank and Vren's chest. And fired.

Vren Demos
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:42:33 PM
The bolt hit him square in the chest, panic quickly overtook him and he felt the skin on his chest and abdomen grow hot. The blast knocked him backward off his chair and he hit the ground with a audible thud. The suit sucked the energy and began feeding it back into itself, chemical reactions produced by the suit converted the blast into raw energy. The gray green exterior was clearly visible through the smoking hole in his shirt but besides the shirt nothing seemed damaged. Smiling Vren stood, and brushed himself off.

"As you can see, it can absorb bolts even at close range. Every shot that it sucks in and dissapates it must release."

Vren's held his left hand palm out and a red dot appeared on it where the suit had morphed resembling gauntlets. Vren focused and sweat dripped down his face and the dot disappeared.

"Or it can store the engery for later. I am just begining to understand it, it only lets me know certain things that it is capable of. However the more I use it the more I learn. It helped me secure its and my escape, we will not go back, everday we grow more powerful."

Vren's eyes hardened and he met her gaze.

"Which is why the Hapan's want me. And why I think I have something unique to provide as a mercenary."

DarthHERA
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:01:34 AM
She nodded, he was indeed unique.

"How do you get it off?"

It was a logical question, and there was no duplicity for her asking it. It looked to her like if was attaching directly to Vrens body.

"Does it...latch on to you? Does it feed off your energy too?"

Vren Demos
Nov 11th, 2003, 11:59:58 AM
"It doesn't come off, to get it out of Hapes I had to have it literally become a part of me. As far as I know I will always carry this. When it attaches it simply comes out of..."

Vren pondered the word, sometimes coverting Hapan to Basic was hard.

"hibernation. It feeds of energy such as blaster bolts or even kenetic energy from physical strikes, but when dormant it also feeds off my emotions. In reality I wish I knew more about it."

DarthHERA
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:39:33 PM
It was a risky business to use a weapon without fully understanding it - especially one that can to all extents, think for itself. And one that can draw energy from yourself to feed it.

Hera wondered at the wisdom of such a practice, but it didnt bother her too much - it wasnt her body the thing was attached to.

"I guess, in time and use, you will get all your answers"

Hera decided to change the subject slightly, get to know this Vren a bit better.

"You are sorry to have had to leave the life you obviously up to this point, had great success with...?"

Vren Demos
Nov 12th, 2003, 11:37:07 AM
"Success in Hapes is a relative thing. I miss my home, my family, and my old life. But I can never go back, at least not yet. I was a fairly high ranked Captain in the Hapan Special Forces, my unit the Heigh-tul, in basic it stands for dark cloak, was one of the top units in the Hapan navy. We took care of everything that the regulars wanted done quickly and effeciently. I served for twelve years in the Hapan military, and came away with blood and a price on my head."

Vren let the suit relax slightly and it retracted until it covered only his chest. Vren let a predatory smile creep across his face, the suit seemed to alter his personality slightly because all old Hapan protocol seemed to slip away.

"I don't know how I will fare as a mercenary, but I do know one thing. The day will come when I will return to Hapes, and I will bring my family back into freespace. This bar and surrounding area, who is it controlled by, if you don't mind me asking. I have heard of the Fortress itself, but I know little of the specifics."

DarthHERA
Nov 16th, 2003, 11:04:31 PM
Hera would have to reserve judgement on Vren's success as a mercenary - his attachment to family and loved ones seemed incongruous to the path he was taking. But, she'd been wrong before, and Vren could well prove the exception to the rule. But all mercenaries she knew prided themselves on the cold ruthless detatchment of such emotional ties. Or perhaps that was just the way she herself operated - her approach bleeding over to other similar lines of work.

As she pondered these things, she attempted to give Vren a satisfactory reply.

"Enton is a free world here on the outer rim, but this little corner" she gestured vaguely through the air with her hand, "is were ShadowFaene claims its own little niche. The Bar here is owned by myself."

She shrugged, adding, "I also conduct a little business here now and again. Most people on Enton know where to come when they want certain things.."

Vren Demos
Nov 17th, 2003, 11:21:25 AM
"You know, when I operated in the Hapan special forces we took down places like this. The Hapan military believed that pirates and such organizations as this were threats to the system. And now here I am,"

Vren gazed around the bar, in his mind he could pick out the more dangerous patrons. With a smile Vren realized he was probably sitting with one of the most lethal in the bar. Vren considered asking Hera more about the workings of the Fortress but decided against it. Sometimes it was better to know little, especially if some day this place could provide employment for him.

"the lady Fate works in strange ways. If this is a place to come for certain things perhaps you know of a way that I could sell my freighter and purchase a, more equipped ship."

DarthHERA
Nov 17th, 2003, 09:19:56 PM
She nodded.

"I could probably help you there, or put you in touch with someone who can. It all depends on the size of ship you are in the market for."

Vren Demos
Nov 18th, 2003, 12:09:37 PM
Vren considered it carefully, in his mind he had thousands of modifications and specifics that were floating around, in short he summed it up in a few words.

"Small, fast, and easily modifiable. If you know someone that can build a ship directly to my specifications then that would be prime. But if not I can modify it personally."

DarthHERA
Nov 29th, 2003, 02:13:55 PM
Hera flagged down the server and told her to bring her datapad from her office.

As the server left, Hera was all business.

"I have a few names that I can give that have just what you are wanting. They will modify to your specifications. Or, if you prefer to do it yourself, they will rent you a work bay at their shipyard and supply you the necessary hardware."

The server returned and Hera began accessing the names for Vren.

It took only a moment, and she spun the pad to show the printout screen to Vren opposite her.

"Outlaw are the best, but most costly. The other two aren't as expensive, but you get what you pay for."

Vren Demos
Nov 30th, 2003, 06:26:46 PM
Vren quickly scanned the screen, and slowly nodded.

"Outlaw will do, I have enough for a small deposit, and I assume they will buy my old frieghter. All dealings with them are confidential right?"

Vren assumed so, and quickly stored the contact information in his memory.

"And what do I owe you for the information?"

DarthHERA
Nov 30th, 2003, 09:44:25 PM
"This ones on me" she replied. "Just tell Outlaw 'Hera sent you'"

She took back the datapad once Vren had finished with it.

"As for discreet...everyone I trade with has that trait. It goes without saying."

Her words held the weight of repercussion. One shutup about things, or was shutup. The latter option was the far less healthy.

She made to get up, assuming their business concluded.

"I hope you get what you are looking for, Vren"

Vren Demos
Dec 1st, 2003, 09:15:55 AM
Vren smiled and rose. Putting his arms at his sides, he dipped low toward the ground in a ceremonial Hapan bow.

"Thank you for your assistance. If your buisness needs any..."

Vren paused and felt the suit shift beneath his jacket.

"muscle, let me know. It would be my pleasure to repay the help you have given me."

When Vren spoke he meant what he said, his honor did not permit him to lie, at least not to a lady. Bowing low once again Vren now had to figure out how to contact this Outlaw.

DarthHERA
Dec 1st, 2003, 11:02:35 PM
"Number?"

Vren stopped midstep as Hera spoke.

"...Where I can reach you..if I ever need your muscles" she grinned.

Vren Demos
Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:26:32 PM
Vren smiled for the first time in many weeks.

roughly translated Hapan to Basic as "Anytime you wish"

"Eliai nei kaai, my lady. I am sure that with your resources you can find me. It was a pleasure, thank you again."

He reached out with his left hand, hoping Hera would allow him to kiss her hand considered a great honor on Hapes, and slip his palmed private comlink number to her.

DarthHERA
Dec 2nd, 2003, 09:44:53 PM
Hera allowed herself a foolish grin as Vren's gesture took her a little by surprise.

She curled her fingers around the commlink number and dropped her hand to her side.

"Then find you, I shall."

"Be good" she called after him as he walked for the door absolutely meaning quite the opposite, he was sure.

Vren Demos
Dec 4th, 2003, 11:54:12 AM
Vren smiled, and with grim determination set out. When he had a ship and credits perhaps he would return to this place. Besides he owed Hera a favor, and Vren always paid his debts.