PDA

View Full Version : The Official SWFans Cooking Thread (Hosted by Charley & Kitty)

Kitty McQuade
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:00:35 PM
Finally, Charley and I have decided to unite and create the very first thread devoted to cooking. This is dedicated to all of you, the people who enjoy cooking and different kinds of cuisines, and all of you who don't know how, don't think you can, or wish you could.

We'll help you on how to get started, share delicious recipes with you, give you cooking tips and answer your questions. Also if you have a recipe you'd like to share with us, you can post it here.

And now, allow me to introduce ... IRON CHEF CHARLEY!!!

:: cues dramatic entrance music ::

Charley
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:10:10 PM
:cool

Sup guys. As Kitty said, this is a thread for master chef and kitchen hack alike. Whether you want to learn the finer points of cooking, or just how to put out the kitchen fire you made, this is the place to ask.

Ever since I was ten years old, I've been cooking. I started out by burning a batch of chocolate chip cookies. I didn't let it get me down, and now, cooking is one of my biggest hobbies. Like anybody who draws, writes, or has another artistic skill, its always the most fun to see your work being enjoyed by other people.

Now, I'm willing to try anything once, for the most part. My specialties are Asian, Mediterranean, and Southern cuisine. If you want to know why you chill rice before frying in a wok, or maybe what makes up a good barbecue sauce, I can probably help you.

That being said, I'm still a bit of a novice in baking, and confectionary recipes. I know a few, but for the most part, its not what I do.

ReaperFett
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:11:42 PM
I just marinade meat. Nice :)

Charley
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:15:24 PM
What sort of marinade? Choosing marinade is important for tone. If you're going for a theme, then the right marinade can really complement your side items.

I'm not sure what they use across the pond. Brown sauce, perhaps?

Kelt Simoson
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:22:18 PM
Brown Sauce? bloody hope not O_o

Shanaria Fabool
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:22:18 PM
All the cooking done at my house has to be Gluten Free (AKA. No wheat, rye, barly, oats, hops, and anything that has those in it or that has come in contact with any of those).

It make cooking a lot harder.

Kolya Van-Metzger
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:24:27 PM
Know what's nice? veggie curry done properly, either so that you can taste the curry but not too hot, or so that your mouth starts to burn just looking at it.

Kitty McQuade
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:30:38 PM
Originally posted by Shanaria Fabool
All the cooking done at my house has to be Gluten Free (AKA. No wheat, rye, barly, oats, hops, and anything that has those in it or that has come in contact with any of those).

It make cooking a lot harder.

I can't imagine. The sky is pretty much the limit at my house. I wish I could help but I'm not sure how.

Originally posted by Kolya Van-Metzger
Know what's nice? veggie curry done properly, either so that you can taste the curry but not too hot, or so that your mouth starts to burn just looking at it.

Never made a veggie curry yet. I have several recipes for fish, chicken, and beef though.

Javier Enfer
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:34:38 PM
LoL Funny enough im about to eat Beef Curry :D

whats the beef curry ? :)

Charley
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:49:50 PM
Beef Curry

1 lg. onion
2 green peppers
3 celery stalks
1 1/2 cans beef bouillon
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ground ginger
2 1/2 lb. round steak
Oil for browning & sauteing
Condiments:
Chopped peanuts
Grated egg
Coconut
Chopped bacon
Chutney
Raisins
Chopped green onion

Cube and brown round steak; set aside. Chop and saute vegetables until tender but not brown. Stir in garlic, curry and ginger. Add bouillon and previously browned meat. Add enough flour to attain the consistency desired. Serve over rice and offer condiments as toppings. Serves 6.

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:02:19 PM
One-eyed Jacks (I think that's what they're called)

Ingredients
1 slice of bread
1 egg
1 slice of cheese.

Turn on the stove and get out a frying pan.

Tear out a hole in the middle of the slice of bread and put it on the pan.

Crack the egg and dump it in the hole you made in the bread. Scramble the egg a little bit.

When the egg starts to to look cooked, get your spatula and flip the bread and egg over. Then put the slice of cheese on top.

When the cheese it melted, take the food off the pan and put it on a plate and eat up!

(Note): There is little or no mess made when making this, so it;s not much of a hassle to try to make. I learned how to make these on a camping trip, so I have no idea how hot the stove was. But it was pretty hot.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:05:27 PM
I once had skewered pork with this peanut sauce thing (we made it at school in home economics). It was gorgeous, but now I can't for the life of me remember what the recipe was or how to make it :(

EDIT - I think it might have had the word 'satay' in it

Kolya Van-Metzger
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:12:40 PM
a cool thing is if you get a little bit of white bread, really coat it in peanut butter, then roll it in flour and drop it in the deep fat fryer.

Same applies to Mars bars and Snickers/Marathon bars.

yummy, deep-fried, fatty, sugary, artery-clanging goodness.

EDIT - satay pork kebab?

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:14:14 PM
I don't know! Maybe? I just want to eat it again though. It's been 3 years and I'm still craving more of it :uhoh

Charley
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:18:02 PM
Satay is correct. Its a Thai dish. Great stuff.

Zeke
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:20:21 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
I once had skewered pork with this peanut sauce thing
+

I think it might have had the word 'satay' in it
=

Originally posted by Kolya Van-Metzger
satay pork kebab?

At least, it makes sense that it would. This fictitious mathematical theorem is brought to you by Zeke. Who had a question, but forgot it, and will post it later when he remembers. >_<

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:21:27 PM
You don't know the recipe for the peanut stuff do you Charley? That was the most deeeeleeeecious part of it.

Kitty McQuade
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:26:01 PM
I do. [Recipe forthcoming in this post.]

Charley
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:29:52 PM
I have a peanut sauce recipe, yes

3 dried red chilies, seeded & crushed
1/2 tsp. dried cumin
1/2 med. onion, peeled & minced
1 clove garlic
1 (1 oz.) piece fresh lemon grass or
1 tsp. dried
1 tbsp. peanut oil
3/4 c. coconut milk
1/4 c. chunky peanut butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tbsp. soy sauce
Salt to taste

Puree chilies, cumin, onion, garlic and lemon grass in blender or processor. Cook on small skillet over low heat with oil until browned, about 5 minutes. Add coconut milk and raise just under a boil, stirring constantly. Add peanut butter and remaining ingredients. Cook and stir 3 minutes over low heat. Do not boil (it will curdle). Cool. Serve at room temperature. Store covered in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.

This is great in Thai vegetarian skewers. Take about a half pound of washed Shiitake mushroom caps, and about a dozen scallions. Chop the scallions up into 1-2 inch lengths, and alternate them with the shiitakes on wooden skewers (make sure you moisten the skewer sticks before grilling)

Put the skewers on low heat for 5-7 minutes each side. Serve with aforementioned peanut sauce. Win.

Kolya Van-Metzger
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:32:22 PM
something like 2tbsps peanut butter, 1 tbsp olive oil and i think something like soy sauce? i'm not too sure about that bit, but the oil and the peanut butter i'm sure of.

ReaperFett
Oct 28th, 2003, 03:20:29 PM
My marinade thing, the one I wrote down:

1.5lbs Cubed Beef
400g Tricolore Ruote Pasta
1 bacon, sliced into small pieces
4 desert spoons "Newman's Own" Balsamic Vinegarette
Small amount lemon pepper seasoning
Small amount pasta and pizza seasoning
2 small pickled silverskin onions
salt/pepper to taste
small amount garlic puree
small amount tomato puree
3 desert spoons extra virgin olive oil
dash Lea + Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce
Tiny amount ginger
Tiny amount marjoram
tiny amount basil

- Mix everything except beef and pasta together.
- Pour mixture over beef as marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate, mixing every few hours.
- Cook and serve with pasta.

Charley
Oct 28th, 2003, 05:03:40 PM
That's a pretty good marinade there, Fett. Something light and flavorful. Can't go wrong with worcestershire on beef. It's a great base, and complements it well.

Try adding a little oregano to it. In a mediterranean-themed dish like that, oregano works wonders on beef.

ReaperFett
Oct 28th, 2003, 05:14:31 PM
It would have been there had we got it.

One of my biggest problems is I open my mums cupboard, and pull out multiple herbs and spices :)

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 28th, 2003, 10:41:30 PM
I love doing my own satay sauces. Not quite as much as I used to, too many others complaining of a vicious afterkick. Sweet for about five seconds, then the chili / curry hits. A decent satay stir-fry (Steel wok and wooden utensils preferred over an open gas flame) from me is guarentteed to bring the sweat out.

It very stange I've gottent he taste for spicey food in the last few years. I adore now things like sweet chili sauces. Say it's satay and I dont care how lethal it is, I'm there.

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 28th, 2003, 11:01:07 PM
*swoons for satay*

I have developed quite liking for Thai food. My sister in law is from Thailand, and whenever she cooks for us, she always says "I make it not so spicy for you!"

Of course, we still all have tears running down our faces. Man, they are serious about their spice.

But, on a slightly different note, I happen to be pretty darn kickass in the pastry department. I make a mean apple pie, or so my menfolk tell me. ;)

Charley
Oct 28th, 2003, 11:35:14 PM
Well, I've inheirited the best and easiest apple pie in the world from my mom. Also the ugliest. You serve it with a spoon.

But man, its great.

I make a chicken fried rice dish that is a bit of a bastard child as far as asian cuisine goes. I started out mucking with the recipe back in 2001...from something I found on the internet. I've spent the past 2 years perfecting it. Aside from my grilling, its the best thing I make. I've even had some asian friends try some, and they prefer it over anything they've had. Must be that pinch of Chinese in my mutt heritage ;)

Charley's Ching-Chong Flied Lice

4 cups uncooked long grain white rice
4 1/2 cups water
3 tblsp sesame oil
3 tblsp margarine
3 eggs
3 tsp Sriracha hot sauce
1 tsp Kim Chee honey garlic sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
3 tsp Kikkoman teriyaki sauce
3 tsp dried onion
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
4 tblsp Kikkoman Soy sauce
1 pound diced chicken thigh cutlets OR diced 1/3rd pack Tyson fajita strips
1/4 cup snow peas
1/4 cup diced carrot
1/4 cup bean sprouts

The night before, cook the rice. Either use a rice cooker, or a covered pot. Make 2 batches in the ratio of 2 cups rice to 2 1/4 cups water. If using a pot, bring to a boil, then cover on low heat for 20 minutes. Take cooked rice, cover, and put in refridgerator overnight.

Cook thigh cutlets on grill so that they remain moist, OR remove Tyson fajita strips from package. Dice chicken. Place in a plastic bag or tupperware with ginger, teriyaki, onion, honey garlic sauce, and 1 tsp of Sriracha hot sauce. Shake contents, and let sit overnight as well.

Day of serving, coat wok in sesame oil. Bring to medium heat. Crack eggs into wok, and allow them to cook. When formed, chop eggs into fine pieces, and set aside. Turn wok to high heat. Add bean sprouts first. Cook until sprouts fatten up. Add chicken, eggs and whatever marenade you desire. Add rice, margarine, carrots, peas, and sesame seeds. Stir constantly. The wok's surface will get very hot otherwise, and you could burn rice if you aren't careful.

Add the rest of the Sriracha hot sauce, and the soy sauce. Taste. This is important. You are the best judge of what you need at this point. Add other ingredients to taste (you may want more soy and hot sauce than this, I use conservative amounts in this recipe).

Keep stirring! Cook rice for about 15 minutes, give or take. This batch will feed a lot of people, or a few really hungry people. Plan on eight servings.

Figrin D'an
Oct 29th, 2003, 04:00:11 PM
By popular request (okay... two people in another thread wanted to know about this), here's the recipe for the Sour Cream and Raisin pie that I mentioned. I know it may sound strange to some, but if you like rich, tasty pie and aren't afraid of a few calories, I urge you to try it. :)

(Alright... more than a few calories.)

Sour Cream & Raisin Pie

1 C. raisins
1 C. dairy sour cream
1 T. butter
1 C. sugar
1 - 3 oz. package, cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1/4 t. salt
1/2 C. powdered sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 C. whipping cream
1/8 t. ground cloves
small size container, Cool Whip (optional)
1 - 9 in. pie shell, store bought or made from scratch (preparer's choice)

In sauce pan, chop raisins, add sour cream, sugar, eggs, spices and salt. Bring to a boil, then cook over reduced heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Add butter, stir until melted into mixture. Cool completely. In mixing bowl, blend cream cheese and powdered sugar together. Whip cream and fold into cheese mixture. Spread half of cheese mixture into baked pie shell. Add cooled raisin mixture as second layer, followed by remaining cheese mixture as third layer. If desired, add Cool Whip on top to fill out pie.

The Cool Whip, as mentioned, is optional. It just adds a little more height and makes for a nice garnish to it. Normally, being a dairy freak, I would use real whipped cream, but I find that it makes the pie overbearingly heavy and rich. This is one of the few dishes in which I find Cool Whip is actually preferable as a filler. You'll likely find that it will serve more people than would a normal 9" pie.

Kitty McQuade
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:16:05 PM
Spicy Peanut Sauce

1 1/2 cups all-natural crunchy peanut butter (I use Smuckers)
1 can of coconut milk
2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons diced fresh ginger root
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar

1/4 cup chopped peanuts, for garnish

Mix all ingredients in a blender or food processor then pour into small pan on low heat til warm. Stir Constantly or it will BURN on the bottom of the pan. If it gets too thick add a half cup of water and stir til smooth.

This is great for chicken or shrimp.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:39:02 PM
Anyone know how to make Rigatoni Filletto Di Pomodoro?

Charley
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:02:05 AM
I don't have my cookbook with me at the moment, but I'll see what I can find.

Here's what I made today:

South of the Bayou Chiken

1 chicken breast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon blackening spice
1 ounce tequila
6 drops Louisiana hot sauce
6 drops lime juice
1/4 cup jalapeno salsa
10 drops liquid smoke

Prior to making, combine liquid smoke and salsa. Mix well, and let sit overnight in fridge.

When ready to make, pour olive oil into skillet. Turn to medium high on the oven. Coat chicken breast evenly with blackening spice, and place in skillet. Add tequila, hot sauce, and lime juice. Cook for roughly five to seven minutes, or until the spice coating on the chicken has turned black. Once this happens, flip chicken over, and cook for another five to seven minutes, applying extra blackening spice to parts of the chicken that aren't coated. Flip again, and do the same, cooking for another three minutes.

Serve with wild or dirty rice, and pour salsa on top.

Ky Shin Wei
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:23:58 PM
Damn, neither of you two are big baking knowers, and I'm trying to remember a recipe from Home Ec.

It was a wonderful apple crumble, with cinnmon and if served wrong it looked like something vomited on your plate, but it was yummy. Does anyone know the recipe?

Charley
Feb 14th, 2004, 02:03:11 PM
I bake on occasion, but it isn't my preference. Baking is too much science, and too little art. The beauty of cooking is having the leeway to adapt and alter a recipe to make it your own. Baking has a smaller margin of creativity than other recipes.

I do have some good baking recipes though. I'll try and find them when I get back to school on monday.