PDA

View Full Version : PhotoPost: File Format question

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 05:29:39 PM
As it stands I am unable to support the formats gif and png at the same time. I have an option I can change that will disable one and enable the other and vice versa.

Which file type would you rather have available for upload, PNG or GIF?

ReaperFett
Oct 26th, 2003, 05:38:08 PM
GIF, as GIF is more common.

Mortaniuss
Oct 26th, 2003, 05:50:20 PM
I voted PNG, since it's a superior format for just about everything. However, I didn't take into consideration one thing: Animated images. GIFs are pretty useful for animations.

http://www.r1ch.net/img-formats/ - for anyone who wants to read up on img formats.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 06:03:51 PM
What might work is for people to contact me when they need/want to upload a pic that is the unsupported format. I can change the option pretty easily so someone could upload one and then once they are done change it back.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 26th, 2003, 06:27:37 PM
I voted GIF. While PNG is the better format of techincal reasons, I'd suggest supporting the file format most commonly used. GIF also allows for animations, which is cool IMO.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 26th, 2003, 09:36:19 PM
GIF, unfortunantly. I'd rather PNG, but PNG isnt that common

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 09:37:31 PM
Heh, one of the SWFans styles is almost exclusively PNG. :D

Pierce Tondry
Oct 26th, 2003, 09:43:42 PM
I don't use either file format very much at all. I guess if I had to pick, I'd go PNG simply because that's the way it appears technology is leaning and it will save us trouble down the road.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 09:46:21 PM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
I don't use either file format very much at all. I guess if I had to pick, I'd go PNG simply because that's the way it appears technology is leaning and it will save us trouble down the road. This option won't be a permenent one, it can be changed.

Pierce Tondry
Oct 26th, 2003, 09:56:34 PM
I guessed from your statement earlier about being able to pick one over the other that such was the case. What I was thinking was that PNG will likely become more used in general as time goes on and us already being set with those filetypes means... well, it means we're set. Don't have to make any changes.

Or so it seems to me.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 10:00:40 PM
I guess I could have worded my question a little better.

Which file format do you want to be the default allowed format PNG or GIF? (jpg supported regardless of which chosen)

By "default" I mean; which one should be allowed nearly all the time without having to contact me and make arrangements to upload the other?

Pierce Tondry
Oct 26th, 2003, 11:01:19 PM
Nah, I'm just a literal fella. :)

Even with the question rephrased that way, I still think PNG seems the preferable option even if I don't think that's the option you'll end up going with. I like to get in early on trends that will definitely pick up, since I'm most likely going to convert at some future point; however that is a purely personal preference.

I also rarely (if ever) use GIFs.

Silus Xilarian
Oct 27th, 2003, 12:37:29 AM
Are there any file formats aside from GIF that allow animation, besides anything flash, since i dont think many ppl like it.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 27th, 2003, 06:24:25 AM
Originally posted by Silus Xilarian
Are there any file formats aside from GIF that allow animation, besides anything flash, since i dont think many ppl like it.

mng (animated png) is developing. Not sure where it's up to tho. The crap thing is, png was delveped to combat the Unisys licence had over gif. Now the gif licence has expired, I dont know how much people will push png :/

Figrin D'an
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:48:05 AM
For now, GIF is the better option, IMO. It's still more widely used than PNG. Since this can be changed later, it's something that can be re-evaluated at a future date if/when it becomes necessary.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2003, 09:41:48 PM
This entire poll may have just become completely moot.

I am checking into possibly switching hosts for better cost and more bandwidth allotment and am currently testing out the new host to see its speed and functionality with the software we use.

During these tests I had to request the new host intall an update for a program for us used by PhotoPost. They installed it for me within 10 minutes of my request and upon some initial tests, PhotoPost on the new server supports both gifs and png files with no configuration changes on the admin side. :D

More details about the possible host sever move coming soon. Supporters will be the first to know. ;)

Zasz Grimm
Nov 1st, 2003, 09:49:40 PM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
This entire poll may have just become completely moot.

I am checking into possibly switching hosts for better cost and more bandwidth allotment and am currently testing out the new host to see its speed and functionality with the software we use.

During these tests I had to request the new host intall an update for a program for us used by PhotoPost. They installed it for me within 10 minutes of my request and upon some initial tests, PhotoPost on the new server supports both gifs and png files with no configuration changes on the admin side. :D

More details about the possible host sever move coming soon. Supporters will be the first to know. ;)

OWNT