PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate PhotoPost?

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 04:00:07 PM
How would you rate PhotoPost?

ReaperFett
Oct 26th, 2003, 04:50:42 PM
Unbe....cool. It's nice as people now have a place to showcase their things, and the thumbnail links are as good/better than posting the whole thing. I approve :)

Pierce Tondry
Oct 26th, 2003, 05:06:36 PM
I put nine, but I'm leaning towards Un-fucking believably cool. I haven't yet checked out all the features, but I will do a little run down on my likes and dislikes of the system.

2. Image previews.
3. Comment and rating abilities.
4. Images are labelled with their uploader.
5. Forums for image types!

Dislikes:
1. Option overload is a tad confusing.
2. Seeing an empty rating post is disconcerting to the point where I highlighted the post a couple times to see if there was a smilie that hadn't loaded. (But I do like knowing who's rated a particular image)

I will be experimenting more with this when I can. I like it much so far. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 26th, 2003, 05:07:22 PM
I've used it before elsewhere and I've always loved it.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 05:15:14 PM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
I put nine, but I'm leaning towards Un-fucking believably cool.I was the first vote and I voted 9 mainly because for the price I am somewhat disappointed by the support and admin options available. I had to hack source code to make it compatible with our vB styles even though it was advertised as "integrates with vBulletin". I guess I just expected "fully" as implied by that.

And another issue I have with it is the images for the comments system and other things are static. There is no way for me to easily add style relative paths for the "reply" buttons and so forth so they will fit in better with our styles.

The support issue I am disappointed with relates to a bug I am still suffering which does not allow PhotoPost pages to be compressed with server side gzip compression. The person I am dealing with on it has been far from helpful, so lame even that he failed to read my posts and said I was doing something that totally contradicted something I previously said.
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
1. Option overload is a tad confusing.
2. Seeing an empty rating post is disconcerting to the point where I highlighted the post a couple times to see if there was a smilie that hadn't loaded. (But I do like knowing who's rated a particular image)I myself am still trying to get a complete handle on all of the options.

From what I can tell there are two ways to rate an image. Quick Rating: a comment with nothing more than the rating included, and then there is also an option to rate when you comment. Almost all of us are new to this and still trying to get the full swing of it.

Mortaniuss
Oct 26th, 2003, 05:53:07 PM
I like it. One thing, though: Will this have much of an impact on our storage space/bandwith usage? Most of those are large images that will be viewed numerous times.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 06:01:17 PM
Originally posted by Mortaniuss
I like it. One thing, though: Will this have much of an impact on our storage space/bandwith usage? Most of those are large images that will be viewed numerous times. I realize this and am looking into some things to help alleviate the issues that may arrise.

Yog found a host yesterday that had an incredible package with oodles of storage and oodles of bandwidth for only $40 a year more than we pay here. I figure that I'll email our current host's customer support and sales team with links to the package offered by the other host Yog found and see if they will sweeten our deal here. If not then we may be moving. 90 GB/Month of bandwidth rocks for only $40 a year more.