PDA

View Full Version : Mr Punctuality

Jacob Nives
Oct 26th, 2003, 02:41:08 PM
Five minutes early. That was a good start. Jacob pushed gloved hand against the bar door and stepped into the familiar atmosphere, of heavy air and distrusting glances. He didn’t make any flamboyant power shows to get attention, nor did he try to blend in. He just was. Hood up, face covered for whatever reasons he chose, he made his way to the bar and ordered a drink. Hera didn’t appear to be here yet, but he knew she would be soon. It was only a matter of time.

He took his drink, sat himself down at an empty table – a rarity inside the bar. At this point he removed his rain-soaked covering cloak. A few of the suspicious glances became momentarily confused, as they tried to place his face. Jacob just smiled, as if to say, I have one of those faces.

DarthHERA
Oct 26th, 2003, 06:04:20 PM
Jacob had been sitting for close on an hour before Hera finally wandered in. Had she known of Jacob's presence she might have arrived sooner. But then again, she might not have, just to piss him off for fun.

But as it was, she was somewhat surprised to see the handsome blonde sitting at a table telling some tall tale to a 3-eyed Gran, who was believing every word. Gullible idiot.

Crossing over to them, it was obvious Hera wanted to speak with Nives. The Gran, without any prompting, vacated his chair and left them to it.

Sitting, smiling wickedly, Hera greeted Nives in her customary teasing manner.

"Getting so every man and his dog are showing up around here these days.."

Jacob Nives
Oct 27th, 2003, 06:00:02 AM
Nives didn’t fail to notice the obvious joke that Hera was making, and smiled along with her. He had gotten past his dislike of her long ago, enjoying his new found status of sort-of-brother-in-law.

“And who can blame them, with such a warm welcome awaiting them.”

A sip of his drink (this was his third now) and he continued.

“You’re looking well, Hera. Everything running smoothly around the base?”

DarthHERA
Oct 31st, 2003, 11:28:58 PM
"Smooth enough" she acknowledged. She wanted to add that there had been no open rebellions of late, but that would have been too sarcastic, even for her. Vega's wife, Hera's closest friend, having been the main culprit. It still stuck in Hera's craw that Daiquiri made the choice she had. She still could not comprehend it.

But that was all water under the bridge. As much as a betrayal such as that could be. Hera tried to not be too jaded.

"I see you are surviving" she said lightening her train of thought.

She spoke with a lowered voice - this allusion to Jacobs real identity, generic as it was, needed to remain simply between the two of them.

"I have been wondering when you might come by."

She stopped, her eyes growing serious.

"...Is there something that you need?"

Jacob Nives
Nov 1st, 2003, 10:07:04 AM
Both eyebrows lifted, as if in surprise – as though Jacob had somehow taken small offence from the insinuation that his present here warranted his wanting something from Hera. He almost said something on that very thought, but held his tongue. He didn’t want to attract attention.

“I came to see how you were,” he replied.

And to make good on my promise of a deal with you, he added, speaking through the Force.

“I take it the offer is still open?”

DarthHERA
Nov 1st, 2003, 02:55:09 PM
Jacob's initial reply was stiff and it surprised Hera a little. Her question had stemmed from concern - his recent hijinks may have led to graver consequences and Hera had asked if he required help out of concern. But in her usual bass-ackward style, she had succeeded to convey something different.

She really was a social retard. Hopefully Jacob would get used to her soon enough.

He spoke to her through the force, which surprised her even further. Not many people reached into her like that.

She nodded. "Of course the offer is still open - did you have something specific in mind you'd like to do?"

Jacob Nives
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:51:54 PM
“Not really. Just…” he waved a vague hand in the air.

“Anything you need doing. I just need to get out a bit, you know? Do a bit of traveling away from Fa-… home.”

DarthHERA
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:34:35 PM
She could understand that.

"Well, there is plenty of opportunity for that."

She flagged down a server and ordered a rum for herself.

"Another round for you?"

Jacob Nives
Nov 7th, 2003, 12:20:13 PM
“I’ll pass,” he smiled politely, “I’ve killed enough brain cells, lately.”

“You don’t mind if I have someone traveling with me on these jobs, do you? Only I’ve picked up a … deck hand, if you can call her that.”

DarthHERA
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:47:10 PM
The server placed the rum on the table in front of her, and Hera shooed the droid away rudely.

Lifting the glass to her lips, she sought clarification from Jacob.

"Deck hand?"

Jacob Nives
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:39:53 AM
It took effort on his part to not tone in as he imagined Daiquiri would have done with, ‘I didn’t stutter’ – but he held back.

“Yes. A girl. I’m… training her. Not in the Force, not yet at least. She’s been an excellent gopher for a while now.”

DarthHERA
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:05:26 PM
When they spoke some months ago at the Wake, Jacob had not mentioned this..gopher.. and Hera disliked surprises such as this.

It was unreasonable to think Jacob would not have his own crew of sorts, but for him to specifically mention this individual meant the girl was more than just your regular grunt-work "crew."

"What girl?"

Jacob Nives
Nov 15th, 2003, 07:30:36 AM
“Picked her up on Coruscant.”

Jacob quirked one brow, smirking, “I trust I am allowed a crew, Hera?”

DarthHERA
Nov 16th, 2003, 10:47:20 PM
"Of course" she replied with a snap, "But your crew come within my permimeters, move [/i]my[/i] cargo."

She intoned heavily, "I will not suffer any losses - of any sort - from crew I am not responsible for. I trust we are clear on this?"

Jacob Nives
Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:05:18 AM
“As crystal. I take full responsibility for her.”

That had certainly soured the mood, he thought.

“Now that we’re over that awkward hurdle,” he murmured, mostly to himself.

DarthHERA
Nov 29th, 2003, 01:38:36 PM
Hera dropped her eyes finally as the pair struggled to bring the mood back to a less confrontational one.

Daiquiri's deeds had made Hera less trusting than before- if that was even possible - and had ampliphied the Faene Mistress's sensitivity to any unknown factors. Experience had proven that even those you knew could surprise you in all the wrong ways. She would not need to learn that lesson again, especially from a stranger.

In a deliberate change of subject, being satisfied with Jacobs reply, Hera questioned him regarding the recent "change" he had undertaken.

"Have there been any further developments since the night we last spoke? any Curious George's mucking about making things difficult?"

Jacob Nives
Dec 1st, 2003, 11:54:41 AM
"Nope. It seems as though the old saying out of sight, out of mind, is holding true. The galaxy is giving birth to a whole new breed of evil bastards to replace me. Van-Derveld is just a myth, told to little kids to make them eat their greens."

Jacob smiled genially.

"Not that I mind, of course. One day things will change, but I'm getting used to the family-man role, even if I do spend most of the day pruning roses. Daiquiri seems to be enjoying it, too. I think this has probably been a long time coming for her."

DarthHERA
Dec 1st, 2003, 11:06:43 PM
Hera thought Jacob to be right.

"I think she is happier than she has ever been before. A passably goodlooking husband" (a mischievious smile) " a family to take care of - it all looks good on her"

Jacob Nives
Dec 6th, 2003, 06:22:45 AM
"What about you, Hera? Any chance of you doing the same?" he asked, with a deliberately cocky smile.

DarthHERA
Dec 6th, 2003, 04:28:15 PM
"Dutiful wife and devoted mother isnt really my style" she said deadpan, "or haven't you noticed"

Jacob Nives
Dec 7th, 2003, 11:45:30 AM
"There's more to the married life than that, Hera," Jacob replied, entirely unaffected by the stony expression.

"You can't tell me that you don't want someone."

DarthHERA
Dec 7th, 2003, 03:06:40 PM
She shrugged noncommittally.

"Well - when I can find someone I can stand for longer than one-night stints at a time, I'll let you know."

She brushed off the idea with the same rough hand she dealt anything that cut too close to the quick.

"I have other things in which to direct my energies."

Jacob Nives
Dec 8th, 2003, 12:33:00 PM
"This base can't consume your whole life," Jacob eyed Hera incredulously.

"There isn't that much to be done around here. You need a hobby."

DarthHERA
Dec 9th, 2003, 11:01:39 PM
"I have what I need, but your concern is touching" she needled. "And just dont get any ideas to sign me up to some lonely-hearts-club. Those "gemini and love long walks on the beach" losers make me retch."

Jacob Nives
Dec 12th, 2003, 03:36:22 PM
"Hyrdophobe," Jacob grinned.

"What about that little guy I saw stumbling around here? About yay high, red hair, wearing a 'I heart Hera' shirt. Looked like he was having a crack withdrawal. Anyone you know?"

DarthHERA
Dec 13th, 2003, 01:25:06 PM
"Oh, Jamo you mean? I make him wear that shirt" she joked. "Under pain of death"

"He's a little genius when it comes to gadgets and spyware - best I've ever seen. Not much of a ship mechanic though" she ended, some memory forming a momentary knit in her brow which vanished as she continued expounding on ShadowFaene's tech guy. "The kid has some thing with sugar. Like a glitter-freak of some sort, but he's knowhow with electronics etc is unmatched. He even built himself a babe-bot."

Jacob Nives
Dec 24th, 2003, 04:51:22 AM
"You hire some odd ones, Hera. Anyone else I should know about, so I don't do something I shouldn't to someone I shouldn't, just because they were acting little fahrbot?"

DarthHERA
Dec 26th, 2003, 05:44:14 PM
Hera shrugged..who wasn't weird in this galaxy? Admittedly, her place seemed to be a haven for some of the more disturbed. Which is what made it "home."

"None weirder than those who shape-shift into snapping, snarling canines when the moon is full...or whatever it is that triggers you lot"

Jacob Nives
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:27:06 AM
Jacob's eyes dipped. Hera couldn't have known why, but he couldn't stop himself from feeling a momentary pang of embarassment.

"That's Garou," he said, smiling again as he looked up, "Jedi. We change of our own will. All that full moon lark is just a load of nonsense."

DarthHERA
Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:36:18 PM
"Well whatever it is" she went on, "it can be very disconcerting when one is in the middle of a pitched battle, and your ally contorts and transforms right before your eyes without warning."

She was refering to s'Ilancy LokLorien, whom Hera found out in the manner stated above of the womans new capability. It had been a shock, to say the least.

But Jacob had aroused her curiosity and the Faene mistress leaned forward a little.

"So you can do it whenever you want? Does it hurt...you know..when you change? What does it feel like?"