PDA

View Full Version : PhotoPost!!!

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 02:05:05 PM
For those who may have missed this post in the "Features" thread, I'll give it its own thread and announce this again, mainly because I think ts so frelling cool. :D

I have an announcement in the way of "paid" member features:

We now have PhotoPost software installed, configured and running here at SWFans.Net Forums. The "Gold" account process is still under development, but I want those of you with preview access to go ahead and test things out for me if you like.

<a href=/photopost>The SWFans.Net Gallery</a>

At the moment the restrictions/policies are as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Each "Gold" member has 10MB of storage space

Individual image uploads are limited to no more than 250 KB

Maximum image file resolution is 1280 X 1280

Members with upload access can edit, move and delete their own images.

All SWFans.Net registered users can make comments and rate image uploads.

All registered members have the ability to send Gallery images as Ecards to friends or family.

Sigs can be uploaded to PhotoPost for display, but not hotlinked on the forums.

Thumbnail images can be hotlinked on the forums.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Give it a whirl, test it out, and have fun. Don't hesitate to give feedback or ask questions.

Thanks

ReaperFett
Oct 26th, 2003, 02:41:17 PM
Let's see, thumbnail hotlink....

http://www.sw-fans.net/photopost/data/501/1gsg_gun1-thumb.gif

EDIT - Yay!

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 02:43:28 PM
And here is that same thumbnail as an actual inline image and link. :)

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 03:26:41 PM
Here's a question for those here to consider and respond to if they have an opinion.

PhotoPost allows me to choose a default watermark image and can automatically add it to an image at the time of upload.

What would you think about having an official SWFans.Net watermark added to all image uploads?

Pierce Tondry
Oct 26th, 2003, 03:36:35 PM
It sounds okay. Would there be any problem with adding the watermark to copyrighted images?

Also, is there a way to edit the description for a particular photo in photopost? I was going to change the description for Lasciviousness but can't figure out how, if it is possible.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 03:39:53 PM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
It sounds okay. Would there be any problem with adding the watermark to copyrighted images?

Also, is there a way to edit the description for a particular photo in photopost? I was going to change the description for Lasciviousness but can't figure out how, if it is possible. Click on your photo and the use the edit link that is loacted just below the prev and next image list on the right side. That is the same method used to move or delete an image as well.

And I think adding the watermark is mainly a method used to help identify and prevent bandwidth theft. Though I do have hotlinking partially disabled off site. Partially because if you have a firewall software profuct that blocks referring website addresses, it will allow the hotlink offsite for that user as they load the image.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 26th, 2003, 03:46:09 PM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
Here's a question for those here to consider and respond to if they have an opinion.

PhotoPost allows me to choose a default watermark image and can automatically add it to an image at the time of upload.

What would you think about having an official SWFans.Net watermark added to all image uploads?

:thumbdown

No, because what content I would like to post would be a) mine or b) something I have gotten permission for. I would prefer to display unadulterated.

However, there would be some content a watermark would be a good thing. Consdier having one or more gallery where this feature is enabled. These images would need to be given permission to put on the watermark, images posted without permission of the copyright holder is not fair use and nor is adding a watermark.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 03:47:58 PM
Watermarking isn't a feature that can be enbled or disabled on a per category or image basis. (ie Software limitation in this version)

Pierce Tondry
Oct 26th, 2003, 03:57:51 PM
Got it, thanks Big Green.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 26th, 2003, 04:05:57 PM
Watermarking isn't a feature that can be enbled or disabled on a per category or image basis. (ie Software limitation in this version)

Then the answer for me is a no. The only places that watermark I know of are places that control / own their own content. Here, SW-Fans does not own said content.

Would there be any problem with adding the watermark to copyrighted images?

The use and display of altered copyright images relies on two tests - is it for non commercial use and is it fair use. IMO, watermarking fails fair use. It can be inferred that by adding a watermark, there is a claim to copyright ownership. I would be very leery of watermarking copyright content.

If someone saw their photo up here and it is theirs, they would more than likely just ask for it to be removed. A resonable request. What would they think if it's watermarked? It would look like someone is passing off the legit owners work for their own. I know I would be unhappy if I wandered by a site and saw one of my sabre's watermarked.

The only thigns that can be watermarked are IMO are images that the poster does have ownership for, or somethign consigned to SW-Fans.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 05:51:33 PM
FYI: Keyword seacrhes from the Main Index of the Gallery (PhotoPost) are now functional. It was a bug in this version that I just got fixed.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 26th, 2003, 10:51:09 PM
I just found another feature that I had read about but not tested.

zip files are supported for uploading. You can bulk upload images by zipping them into a zip archive file, they will be uped as a zip, unzipped on the server and then presented to you for placement within the categories and information (description, keywords, commenst, etc...) Now thats a cool feature. :)

This has been tested and verified as functional now.

Pierce Tondry
Oct 26th, 2003, 11:03:35 PM
zip files are supported for uploading. You can bulk upload images by zipping them into a zip archive file, they will be uped as a zip, unzipped on the server and then presented to you for placement within the categories and information (description, keywords, commenst, etc...) Now thats a cool feature. :)

This has been tested and verified as functional now.

Whoa.

You have my 10 bucks now.

Mortaniuss
Oct 27th, 2003, 04:03:26 AM
As much as I, too, would like to prevent bandwith theft, watermarking all images isn't too hot of an idea. There was a huge debacle about Ebaumsworld.com taking images from other sites, adding their watermark and basically passing it off as their own.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 29th, 2003, 03:06:16 PM
The best way to prevent bandwith theft is to modify .htaccess and only set it for SWF's domains and maybe Meras.

http://sw-fans.net/photopost/data/501/1gsg_gun2-thumb.gif FN P90 sup.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 29th, 2003, 03:17:25 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
The best way to prevent bandwith theft is to modify .htaccess and only set it for SWF's domains and maybe Meras.

http://sw-fans.net/photopost/data/501/1gsg_gun2-thumb.gif FN P90 sup. Meras isn't on the list. This is a SWFans exclusive feature, but yes we have a .htaccess in place.

P.S. change to rules/policies:

Individual image uploads are limited to no more than 250 KBInstead of 500 KB

Mortaniuss
Oct 29th, 2003, 03:23:11 PM
that's pretty generous. I can get a 1600x1200 jpg down to ~ 200k and still have it look pretty decent.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 29th, 2003, 03:24:32 PM
Yeah nearly half a meg was just too much.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 29th, 2003, 03:48:45 PM
hmmm, I need to look into the filesize restiction settings for bugs. Morg just upped a file thats over three times the size of the set limit.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 29th, 2003, 03:53:50 PM
It should be fixed now.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 29th, 2003, 04:21:09 PM
That file was really small wtf?

Morgan Evanar
Oct 29th, 2003, 04:22:11 PM
Its 21k o_O

see?

TheHolo.Net
Oct 29th, 2003, 04:34:28 PM
Go ahead and reupload. I don't know what happened, but it was 900+ the first time.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 29th, 2003, 04:39:43 PM
What the fuck?

Now its 900K again.

The software must be doing something to it, because its a 4 color GIF. Might be making it 256 colors, but that doesn't really make a lot of sense.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 29th, 2003, 04:46:06 PM
Now thats what I'd call a drag. :(

ImageMagick has to be the culprit. ImageMagic is the server side software that supports GIF upload and thumbnail creation. I will investigate this further. For now if you wouldn't mind deleting it, please do. We can use it as a test image after I possibly find a fix.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 29th, 2003, 09:31:16 PM
There was some hacked up linux/windows commandline thingy I used for my photo gallery instead of image magic. Does this one require image magic?

TheHolo.Net
Oct 29th, 2003, 09:33:08 PM
No, but Image Magick and GD2 are the only two options. GD2 doesn't support GIF writing and Image Magick does.

I started a bug topic at the PP support forums regarding this issue to see if anything can be gleaned from it.

EDIT: The tech support dude uploaded the same image on his test PP and it bloated to 200 KB so its not unique to us. Could just be something about that particular image. Tech support dude is investigating.

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 30th, 2003, 06:29:38 PM
I just have to say that I really like this feature. Good work. :)

AmazonBabe
Oct 31st, 2003, 07:31:36 PM
Love the new feature... just have to figure out how the hell to use it. O_o

TheHolo.Net
Oct 31st, 2003, 07:46:09 PM
I'm trying to put together a FAQ <a href=showthread.php?s=&threadid=32853>here</a>. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:00:27 PM
ruh-roh

the last image I uploaded... the thumbnail is showing as text o_O

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:02:51 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
ruh-roh

the last image I uploaded... the thumbnail is showing as text o_O Aribeth from NWN? If that is the one it appears to be fine from my end..

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:03:32 PM
odddd... it's just showing as /photopost/blahblah/aribeth.peg for me

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:04:09 PM
I see what you mean now, I will investigate.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:06:05 PM
I think I know the problem with it. Let me see if I can fix the hack. It looks like the hack for the index doesn't like files with 4 letter file extensions.

Zasz Grimm
Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:12:58 PM
I think I know the problem with it. Let me see if I can fix the hack. It looks like the hack for the index doesn't like files with 4 letter file extensions.

lookat wat u did, jennay!

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:14:39 PM
I broked it :cry

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:32:23 PM
Sloppy, pitiful hack writers at the PhotoPost forums. I fixed the code myself. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:37:02 PM
You so clevar :D

EDIT - n/m. the evil error went away.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2003, 04:42:57 PM
PhotoPost is currently unable to make image thumnails, making its functionality almost nill. I am working with our host's support team to see if they can switch our server configuration back to the way it was a couple of days ago.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:03:45 PM
I have made a temporary fix, but gif file uploads are not functional as a result. I'm not sure about png.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:38:37 PM
I have switched it back to the way it was so that the host support staff can help troubleshoot the problem.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 13th, 2003, 06:07:26 PM
PhotoPost is now fully functional again. :D

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 13th, 2003, 10:06:55 PM
*Hugs Mr .net*

You my faaaaaaavorite Admin. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:02:46 PM
^_^;

I try.