View Full Version : Alien

Phantom
Oct 26th, 2003, 12:39:58 AM
Woot. Is going to be in theathers the 29th.

Ardath Bey
Oct 26th, 2003, 01:52:22 AM
A post full of exhulted expletives would not be sound for a response but that is how I feel about the theatre run of Alien: Director's Cut! I am going to see this friday and it will be the first I experience it in a cinema. Great movie and one of my all-time favorite scifi thrillers.

BTW, Howard Hawks' 1951 hit, The Thing from Another World, directly inspired a few sequences in Alien and sequel Aliens. Ridley Scott created a classic!

Ardath Bey
Oct 26th, 2003, 02:37:25 AM
Originally posted by Ardath Bey
BTW, Howard Hawks' 1951 hit, The Thing from Another World, directly inspired a few sequences in Alien and sequel Aliens. Ridley Scott created a classic!

Actually that is an understatement. TTFAW heavily influenced Alien. You can identify many traces of Hawks' classic throughout Alien. Same basic theme yet altered and radically reconceptualized.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Oct 26th, 2003, 07:23:01 AM
I find it hard to get excited and shell out a few bucks for a movie that was long released and will prolly only have a few different scenes.

Droo
Oct 26th, 2003, 12:24:34 PM
Peter and I will definately be going to see Alien at the theatre. We missed it's first release and there's no way I'd pass on the chance of seeing such a classic and atmospheric film on the big screen. Roll on Halloween! :D

Ardath Bey
Oct 26th, 2003, 12:26:20 PM
True. But I haven't experienced it in a theatre though.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 26th, 2003, 12:30:39 PM
Is it true the movie is suppose to have a teaser for the upcoming Alien vs Predator??

Droo
Oct 26th, 2003, 12:34:03 PM
That would be a first for me, I didn't think they were anywhere near as far into the AvP project to have any kind of teaser ready in time for this feature.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 26th, 2003, 01:22:42 PM
It is suppose to come out sometime next year I don't think they have started filming yet though.

Syo
Oct 26th, 2003, 04:34:39 PM
Not sure if I want to see it, but since nothing else really comes out that day its a nice lead up to the Matrix on the 5th

Ardath Bey
Oct 26th, 2003, 06:19:45 PM
Sorry, I haven't heard anything about any AvP teasers either. But that would be a pleasant and fitting surprise.

Figrin D'an
Oct 26th, 2003, 07:22:25 PM
Originally posted by Daiquiri Van-Derveld
I find it hard to get excited and shell out a few bucks for a movie that was long released and will prolly only have a few different scenes.

Did you say the same thing when the Special Editions of the OT hit theatres in 1997? ;)

I'm all over this one. Having the chance to see Alien on the big screen is worth the money. It's still one of the scariest films of all time.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 27th, 2003, 01:01:16 AM
Looks like AVP is getting close

Sanaa Lathan will star in Alien vs. Predator, 20th Century Fox's SF movie that pairs two of the studio's most popular screen monsters in a deathmatch, Variety reported. Shooting begins Oct. 28 in Prague, and Fox will release the film in August 2004, the trader paper reported.

Paul Anderson is directing from a script he wrote with Shane Salerno.

Lathan will play explorer-adventuress Lex Kline, who leads an expedition to Antarctica to uncover warring alien races, the trade paper reported. Italian actor Raoul Bova, British actor Ewen Bremner and Lance Henriksen also star; Henriksen plays the industrialist who finances the expedition.

Now I can go for this film it would be really cool seeing those two species go at it.

Ardath Bey
Oct 27th, 2003, 02:54:22 AM
One complaint -- what about the continuity of the Alien series? On the Antartica? The comic book IIRC took place far into the future on another world altogether.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Oct 27th, 2003, 04:58:52 AM
I dont think Ive gone to see any re-releases at all. OT? If youre talking SW, I did purchase the set with the new scenes :)

Mortaniuss
Oct 27th, 2003, 05:00:49 AM
One complaint -- what about the continuity of the Alien series? On the Antartica? The comic book IIRC took place far into the future on another world altogether.I believe the AvP movie takes place well before the Alien movies.

Ardath Bey
Oct 27th, 2003, 05:59:04 AM
Originally posted by Mortaniuss
I believe the AvP movie takes place well before the Alien movies.

Well, who brought the aliens to earth well before their time. Because according to every alien film ever made, humankind didn't encounter the bugs until far into the future when humans finally colonized other planets, transversed the stars, and explored deep space.

Droo
Oct 27th, 2003, 08:23:27 AM
I don't like the sound of it taking place in Antarctica, it doesn't sound very atmospheric at all. I bet you it will turn into a Sci-Fi Freddy Vs. Jason. :\

JediBoricua
Oct 27th, 2003, 09:51:08 AM
I must admit that I have never seen this movie (knocks down a table and hides behind it).

So the best thing for me would be to experience it in the cinema!

Droo
Oct 27th, 2003, 02:34:20 PM
Originally posted by JediBoricua
I must admit that I have never seen this movie (knocks down a table and hides behind it).

So the best thing for me would be to experience it in the cinema!

I pity and envy you at the same time! :grumble

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 27th, 2003, 03:23:26 PM
Not sure that is the most I have read about it. It could take place after the Alien films. However the Predator spieces created the Aliens right??

Ardath Bey
Oct 27th, 2003, 05:54:49 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Not sure that is the most I have read about it. It could take place after the Alien films. However the Predator spieces created the Aliens right??

Not that I know of... these are two individual franchises. Speaking of the Alien franchise, the first two movies are nothing but classics. The predator franchise produced two movies that were so-so. The former casts a monumental shadow over them. But what really got this crossover cooking, was a comic book released in the early '90s. Leading to a dream for fans of either or both.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 27th, 2003, 05:57:06 PM
I thought in the comic they explained that the Predator either created the Alien or breed them to fight them.

Ardath Bey
Oct 27th, 2003, 05:59:52 PM
I thought in the comic they explained that the Predator either created the Alien or breed them to fight them.

Could be... I no longer possess a copy... but don't think they will follow the comic book that closely.

Mortaniuss
Oct 27th, 2003, 06:04:10 PM
Originally posted by Dru
I don't like the sound of it taking place in Antarctica, it doesn't sound very atmospheric at all. I bet you it will turn into a Sci-Fi Freddy Vs. Jason. :\ One could only hope! :D

Ardath Bey
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:04:13 AM
delete

imported_QuiGonJ
Oct 29th, 2003, 10:30:31 AM
Saw it last night at the Universal CityWalk. Swipe at your own risk.

10. Lovable sidekick robots now included!

9. Before each attack, Alien sings an original Tim Rice/Elton John song about togetherness and how it misses it's family.

8. Perspective shifted to Jones, the backup robot cat assigned to make sure a homing beacon was attached to the Alien for later retrieval.

7. Alien now speaks in a Jamaican patois, saying "meesa clumsy" and "meesa sorry" after each attack.

6. There is no number 6.

5. Ripley now digitally enhanced, creating "chest bursting" scenes of another kind.

4. In a bit of new product placement, Parker now comments had Ash been filled with California milk, he wouldn't have turned evil.

3. Kane now fires badly aimed laser beam at the egg, meaning the face hugger acted in self defense.

2. The chestbursting scene now digitally swapped with the one from Spaceballs to make the film more kid friendly.

and the number 1 change in the new ALIEN:
1. Disclaimer at end of picture now added saying the film series ends after "Aliens".

Master Yoghurt
Oct 29th, 2003, 11:27:16 AM
LOL QGJ

The first two alien movies are timeless classics. I have never seen Alien in a movie theater, so thats certainly something to look forward to!

Alien vs Predator. I dont know. Its probably going to be so so, in the same region as the original predator movies. If they can make it a real horror movie rather than an action gimmick, maybe its going to work. But I have my doubts. The whole concept sounds a bit speculative, mainly for pulling the fans of a certain movie genre. Its a cool idea, I am just not sure about the implementation. The comics and the computer game have its moments though, so maybe I am wrong

Ardath Bey
Oct 29th, 2003, 03:49:26 PM
I am going to see Alien and Mystic River this friday. (Clint Eastwood is an awesome director.) Back to Alien: DC, Scott retooled the original film and excised about six minutes of the film and added about five minutes. Also, if you own the DVD with deleted scenes you won't discover anything new. Fortunately, I don't have the DVD and never seen them.

Not going to swipe QGJ's spoilers either. Only two days away. :)

imported_Kanji
Oct 29th, 2003, 08:06:16 PM

Nada on Create, breed yes.

They were created by another species that looks like a bipedal elephant, who, in turn, were slain by the bugs. Preds found them, decided.. "Hey... these guys are killer hits with the ladies," and thus gave the Alien's planetary transport and BAM. :)

Now. Next Aliens movie should be set like Aliens: Earth Hive by Steve Perry.. or was it his daughter? :x

Morgan Evanar
Oct 29th, 2003, 09:34:57 PM
I dunno Carr, The Thing was pretty atmospheric.

Charley
Oct 29th, 2003, 10:02:53 PM
^^^

YES.

Continuity aside, if they make aliens and predators fight along with marines in a situation a la The Thing, I will be satisfied.

I really don't give a damn about continuity. This is clearly a pandering fan film, and it isn't going to be much else. That suits me just fine.

Ardath Bey
Oct 30th, 2003, 02:23:59 AM
AvP ... this movie may be putrid garbage. Found this link that IF accurate contains HEAVY spoilers. From the AICN's site. Let's hope it ain't true. It reeks of lower production values and bad directing.

Alien vs Predator (http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=16395)

Master Yoghurt
Oct 30th, 2003, 06:44:33 AM
I think hoping for "The Thing" may be too much. Thats a scifi/horror classic. From what I read at AICN, it sounds more like the production values of Predator II, set in a somewhat exotic enviroment. I think they are aiming for Aliens style high pulse action, but how well they succeed with that remains to be seen. I doubt it will anything near as good as Aliens, probably more like Alien Resurection. I think though, its going to be somewhat entertaining/exciting if you can suspend disbelief, leave your brain at the frontdoor and just enjoy the movie for what it is

imported_QuiGonJ
Oct 30th, 2003, 09:47:26 AM
The director is Paul WS Anderson, who did Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil, so for me, that means I have high hopes for the project. :)

Droo
Oct 30th, 2003, 02:13:50 PM
Looks like there is a teaser trailer already made. And here it is:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/

Ardath Bey
Oct 30th, 2003, 08:12:05 PM
Hope so. But that plot, and the one or two backstories we learned so far, I can't help but think Sci-Fi Channel originals. The premise is really ... disapproving.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 30th, 2003, 08:16:52 PM
Yeah, it does sound cheesy. Its only the starting setup of the movie though. We don't really know much what happens in the 2/3 and 3/3 of the movie.

Ardath Bey
Oct 30th, 2003, 08:20:48 PM
I wish James Cameron was doing the picture. He would do it right.

Garrett Blade
Oct 31st, 2003, 07:13:39 PM
Assuming my friend wasn't lying, James Cameron had some input into the design of the Predator. Apparently, he was on an aoerplane sitting next to his friend who was designing the Predator. Cameron suggested giving it dreadlocks and the unique mandibles.

Like said - not sure if thats true. But pretty cool if it is :)

Garrett Blade
Oct 31st, 2003, 07:17:33 PM
Not too long ago, I wrote a poem; sort of a tribute to Ridley Scott and James Cameron, but more so H.R. Giger. I'll root it out and post it - its in my lyrics case, wherever that is! :p

Ardath Bey
Oct 31st, 2003, 10:49:34 PM
Seen the Director's Cut today and refell in love with the movie. Scott and Giger created one of the most menacing bigscreen monsters ever. One complaint, the movie had poor sound quality. The theatre I went to uses dts yet many scenes had muffled and low sound.

Zasz Grimm
Oct 31st, 2003, 11:15:38 PM
In other news, Ridley Scott has signed on for Alien 5.

They're trying to get Weaver. Personally, I hope they don't get her.

They need to do another marine-esque movie.

:)

Ardath Bey
Oct 31st, 2003, 11:19:09 PM
OMG... Ridley Scott?!?! That's shocking that he would want anything to do with any alien movie after what the third and fourth sequel did to the beautiful franchise. Never thought it would happen. Well, looks like I have something to look forward in this corner of the cinema.

Zasz Grimm
Oct 31st, 2003, 11:24:33 PM
Scott and Cameron both thought 3 and ressurection were trash. Cameron was outraged they killed off hicks / newt / basically bishop. He enjoyed their relationships with each other.

Personally I was outraged they killed hudson..

:verymad

Ardath Bey
Oct 31st, 2003, 11:36:51 PM
Agreed. And replaced them with lame, uninvolving characters in the next two sequels. There was so much potential story conclusion offered by Aliens and it's characters. Why?!

:mad

Master Yoghurt
Nov 1st, 2003, 06:13:10 AM
Yeah, I agree with Ardath Bey and Zasz here. I would not go so far to say 3 and 4 were directly terrible on its own, but for a lot of alien fans including me, they were huge disappointments. They totally degraded the whole Alien franchise. The 2 first alien movies were real classics with great stories, characters and the atmosphere. So you kinda expect a continuation of that. Instead, they decide to change everything and remove the cool characters, feeding us with a somewhat mediocre and forgettable experience. What a disgrace.

Garrett Blade
Nov 1st, 2003, 04:00:34 PM
Yes yes yes. Hudson rocked! He was a cool character with great screen presence. I think he'd have kicked butt in Alien 3 along wth Hicks and Ripley. (Obviously not the Alien 3 we know because it'd be different).

As for Ridley Scott doing Alien 5 - JOYGASM!!! I think it's great that he'll finish what he started. And I do hope they can get Sigourney Weaver to play Ripley - especially after seeing how badly that guy (forget his name) played Lestat in "Queen of the Damned" - she IS Ellen Ripley as far as I'm concerned.

And according to IMDB, Lance Henriksen is to start in Alien vs Predator as Charles Weyland. I'm assuming he's one of the owners or Weyland-Yutani. That might suggest that AvP is set before Alien Resurrection, since in Alien Resurrection the "Company" isn't involved with the aliens, but instead its the United States Military. As the scientist says "They had defence contracts, under the military..."", note the had. Or maybe Weyland Yutani are still going strong after Resurrection, and go for it anyway :p

All in all, I can't wait for both films. And it'd be nice to see a Predator 3 to tie them in more closely than just an Alien skull in Predator 2.

And here's that poem thingy I wrote. In retrospect, I think the words are very appropriate for Heavy metal a la Metallica, since they're very fantasy-esque about something which causes fear. Hope you like it:

My Fear

A Queen of Death sits on her throne.
Staring with a heart of stone.
Comrades fallen, lying prone.
In the dark you feel alone.

Waging war in distant lands.
Sowing death in distant sands
Give in to her royal demands.
Caught between her crushing hands.

Claws od death inflicting pain.
Beholding one is too insane.
With a kiss they slit your vein.
Naught to lose and less to gain.

Black and shiny, sleek and thin.
Full of power, free from sin.
Fear the beast that lies within.
Killing all with next of kin.

It's beauty bare for all to see.
Instinct is our enemy.
With our minds we are free.
With her army so is she.

Kill the Queen to save your life.
Put an end to pain and strife.
Finish it, now take your knife.
A sacrifice will end its life.

Family will stand and fight.
Throughout the day into the night.
Their children kill you out of sight.
They hungrily put out your light.

Multitudes of terror run.
Fearfully you aim your gun.
Terror slain and battle won.
Darker days are yet to come.

Sleeping close to my dying heart.
About to tear my life apart.
Born in death right from the start.
Seducing me with living art.

Zasz Grimm
Nov 1st, 2003, 05:21:19 PM
or, even better- before Alien. They could have it set up that Charles Weyland started Weyland-Yutani after running into the aliens, etc.

And thus that would explain them being sent to LV426. :)

Hudson's fall was the BEST, I've seen, anyone die. EVER. Just him wasting aliens left and right- so pumped up. And then taken down.

I liked the book where Vasquez ( I think, not sure) shot a grenade down there, or some rounds from her PR.

To kill him.

Jinn Fizz
Nov 1st, 2003, 06:09:09 PM
I want Alien 5 to start with Ripley waking up from hypersleep and finding out that Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection were nothing but a bad bad hypersleep dream. :D

Master Yoghurt
Nov 1st, 2003, 06:15:02 PM
Yeah, I would have liked that :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 1st, 2003, 06:37:55 PM
Remind me to never watch Aliens and the other movies, 'cause you all just ruined them for me. :cry

Oh well guess I'll see 'em eventually :p Even if all the cool people die.

Master Yoghurt
Nov 1st, 2003, 06:49:07 PM
Trust me, its better to be prepared for whats happening in 3 and 4 than unknowing having to experience the tremendous disappointment of #3 after being awestrucked by #1 and #2. I did that, and it plain sucked. Just watch the first 2 and pretend the sequels never happened :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 1st, 2003, 08:15:17 PM
I've seen Alien, I really want to see Aliens though. ^_^;

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 1st, 2003, 08:21:51 PM
Aliens is one of the best sequels ever. watch the directors cut, it rules.

Zasz Grimm
Nov 1st, 2003, 09:44:16 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Aliens is one of the best sequels ever. watch the directors cut, it rules.

IMO, Aliens is the best sequel ever. And it's my all time favorite movie, next to The Matrix. ( I can recite every line from Aliens. I've watched it since I was 4 or so- and killed about 5 vhs tapes. )

One of the rumors for 4, was that Alien 3 was just a bad dream.

Too bad it wasn't. Michael Biehn is a really good actor; he would've been awesome. He still is awesome.

But I agree. Watch 1 and 2, and forget the rest. They're crap.

Aliens is such a thrill ride. Very suspenseful and action packed. And the added scenes from the special edition (long speech by hudson being a badass cocky marine. Alien Death, view on Ripley's past, etc. ) rocked.

Figrin D'an
Nov 1st, 2003, 09:52:42 PM
Originally posted by Zasz Grimm
IMO, Aliens is the best sequel ever.

Even better than TESB?

It's a very good film, don't get me wrong. I like Alien and Aliens a lot. I just think that, sequel wise, it's tough to beat something like Episode V, or say, The Godfather Part II.

All just opinions though, of course. :)

Garrett Blade
Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:05:29 AM
I'd have to agree with Zasz. The Alien Saga is my all-time favourite. I know the entire script for Aliens, and most of Alien and Alien Resurrection, and Alien 3 the least but still quite a lot of it (I'm really sad like that :p).

Its just such a shame they got one or two subtitles incorrect on the Aliens Directors Cut DVD :p

JMK
Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:59:21 AM
I'm with Figrin 100% on this one. Aliens was a very strong follow up to Alien, but I don't think it can hold a candle to ESB or Godfather part 2.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:03:26 PM
Originally posted by Garrett Blade
I'd have to agree with Zasz. The Alien Saga is my all-time favourite. I know the entire script for Aliens, and most of Alien and Alien Resurrection, and Alien 3 the least but still quite a lot of it (I'm really sad like that :p).

Its just such a shame they got one or two subtitles incorrect on the Aliens Directors Cut DVD :p

HELLO OBSESSED :p

Zasz Grimm
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:09:54 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
HELLO OBSESSED :p

don't have the dvd, yet. something to look for

danke. :)