PDA

View Full Version : Portal page Update

TheHolo.Net
Oct 24th, 2003, 01:35:00 AM
I have updated our Portal page to the latest version.

This new version is a little easier to work with than the old one and as such can have a custom style that matches each individual style (Main forum styles) that any user has chosen in their user profile.

So far I only have the Default and T-Phantom styles completely finished, but I will work on getting the others done as I am able. (Default Style still needs a little touch of work to get rid of the empty space on the right)

I have disabled a few parts of it that I am having some problems with, which we used to use, namely "Web Links", "Downloads", "Recommend Us", and a couple others. I need to work out where these modules are getting their CSS style sheets from because they are whacked when displayed, and not using all of the standard style CSS info. >_<

Shawn and Eve, you are free to fiddle and play with things as you like, if you like, but I will warn you that its hard to grasp how everything in it works, and took me a few hours to even get a slight handle on, and I was quite good with the older vBPortal software.

I decided to go ahead and upgrade the version because I read at the phpportal.com website that the new version integrates better with Photopost, which we may end up adding to the forums down the road and I figured it would be good to be prepared.

As always, comments, suggestions, and questions from anyone are welcome.

imported_Eve
Oct 24th, 2003, 06:05:19 AM
I set up forums on somafix once. Started editing stuff and it turned black. I mean the adminitrator panel turned black. I couldn't see anything to even edit.

It's best I don't touch anything... at least for today.

Cool though, I always wanted the portal to be in all style sets.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 24th, 2003, 06:10:46 AM
Originally posted by Eve
I set up forums on somafix once. Started editing stuff and it turned black. I mean the adminitrator panel turned black. I couldn't see anything to even edit.

It's best I don't touch anything... at least for today.

Odd, the only way I know of to black out the vB CP is to modify the cp.css file incorrectly (which really isn't hard since they didn't put squat in that file for comment sections). Always make your changes one step at a time and keep back up copies of everything so you can easily revert if there is aproblem. :)
Originally posted by Eve
Cool though, I always wanted the portal to be in all style sets. Yeah, so have I.

For now I have all the styles converted, but still have the problems with some of the modules and even the vBPortal Admin Panel is a little whacky CSS wise, but I got what counts taken care of, and thats what the posters see. :zzz

Shawn
Oct 25th, 2003, 09:32:12 AM
I never touched the portal software because I have no idea how it works. :) I think I'll have a look in a little bit, though.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 25th, 2003, 09:45:17 AM
The Portal admin panel is about 350% better than it used to be, but it is still tough to use and fully understand.

What I like best for the moment is the Private Forum exclusion from "Active Topics" is accomplished through the CP now instead of a source file edit and upload.

Sanis Prent
Oct 25th, 2003, 07:55:50 PM
This is sexy. I'll get to fooling around with this tomorrow.