PDA

View Full Version : Book of Memory

Daen C'allyx
Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:51:10 PM
The Book of Pranks

Studying was always a pain. A big hairy pain with webbed feet. No, it was a red, spike-encrusted pain with sharp teeth and—

“Padawan.”

Daen smiled at the warning given from the common room of the quarters he shared with is master Iro Kann. The little boy sighed and straightened in his chair, pulling a datapad closer. A few moments later a prolonged gurgling sound followed by a short bark of surprise was heard from outside the lads room. Daen slipped off his seat quickly and ran into the kitchenette. There stood his master before the automated washer, fur sopping wet and knee deep in bubbles. Daen’s mouth dropped open and the apprentice gave a little squeal as a lake of water crept over his bare feet. The boy grinned up at his master.

“What happened?” He asked in an awed voice. Iro sighed, his long ropy tail and pointy ears drooping simultaneously in exasperation.

“I put too much soap in.”

Daen watched from the dry safety of the table. Staring contemplatively at the bubbles the boy said,

“It looks like a fizzbomb went off in here.”

Iro looked at the seven-year-old carefully.

“How would you know that?”

“Me’n Ze—” The boy stopped. Iro cleared his throat.

“You and Ze what?” The Knight pressed. Daen shrugged, blushing.

“I mean, I guess this is what a fizzbomb’d look like.”

“I see. And I suppose you don’t know anything about the fizzbomb that exploded in the student level girls bathroom yesterday?”

Daen fidgeted under his master’s scrutinizing gaze. He twiddled his thumbs absently.

“It was Ze’s idea—”

Iro cleared his throat sternly. Daen ducked his head and in a small voice said, “I helped.”

The Knight shook his head.

“Why am I not surprised?”

“Because you already knew?” The ever-helpful Apprentice supplied. Iro chuckled softly and reached out to tug Daen’s braid affectionately. The Jedi nodded.

“Yes Padawan. I always know.”

Daen grinned and then,

“Master, if I promise never to do it again can I not get punished?”

“I didn’t know you were such a comedian Padawan.”

The boy frowned and tried again.

“I’m really sorry.”

His master nodded sagely.

“I’m sure you are. Now come and help me clean this up and then you can go see Master Lrig; she has some chores for you and Ze.”

The dark-haired boy groaned loudly as he slid off the table and into the sudsy water. Iro looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

“And then you can come back here and meditate on why you’re being punished and why you’ll never do it again.”

“Because I got caught.” Daen grumbled under his breath.

“Padawan.”

“Sorry.”

Daen sighed and began to swipe at the water. Suddenly he grinned.

“It sure was funny though!

If there was one thing Daen C’allyx could, and did, use the Force for it was meditating. It took up far too much of his time now. The young man rarely slept anymore. Instead, when his eyes could barely remain open he would yet again slip into a heightened state of awareness, an endless stream of sense. It did well to refresh him enough to last another standard hour, at least.

Daen and his master Iro Kann had been sent on an extraction mission, their prerogative being to rescue a prominent political figure being held hostage by a group of rebels who had been planning to use her to sway a treaty in their favor. It was true that these sorts of missions were usually reserved for Knights or Masters that did not have apprentices, but Iro and Daen had earned a reputation as more than capable and willing to handle hostage situations. The duo was a skilled pair, both preferring physical solutions over diplomatic negotiating. There had been close calls over the years, and the Council had almost put an end to the assignments, but the Master-Padawan team had always been quick to assure them otherwise.

Until that last mission. Something had gone terribly wrong. The very rebel group that they had come to infiltrate had captured the Jedi team. Specifics were not known, but it was ominously evident that in the two months before the padawan and the body of his master had been recovered that they had been brutally tortured. Daen was near death when a second Jedi team rescued him.

The padawan spent weeks in a Bacta tank, and even now he had not completely recovered from the physical wounds. The worst damage however had been psychological and emotional. For eight weeks after the Bacta tank Daen had remained in a near-comatose state, and his already ravaged frame had continued to shed pounds.

When he had marginally recovered the boy had gone to the Council chambers and asked that he be allowed to go and find his master. The request brought with it apprehension; did the boy not even remember that Iro was gone? Yes, he’d been at the Healers when the ceremony of the Knights cremation occurred but surely he hadn’t forgotten? After a little probing it was found that, while the lad did indeed remember his teacher was gone, he had completely blanked out all of his training.

After the initial discovery of his memory loss, Daen had made little progress; he seemed to be regressing in fact. So now, nine months after the horrific event that the young man had survived, he found himself breaking out of meditation in his travelling quarters; he had arrived on Coruscant.. The Council had decided, in all their infinite wisdom, that he needed a fresh start.

Daen didn’t care.

It was not for another few hours that the boy arrived in the recruitment center of the Coruscant Order. Daen had been a handsome young man before, but now there were a million little things that gave him a menacing appearance. His dark hair was growing in a disheveled pattern, some spots longer than others. A chunk of flesh was missing from his right ear, his nose was crooked from being broken again and again, a few teeth were missing, and a jagged scar ran from the left corner of his bottom lip in a graceful curve down to his Adams apple. One of his gray-green eyes was clouded in partial blindness. The young man walked with a noticeable limp, and his hands were a mess of shaking nerves. He wore a heavy Jedi cloak wrapped around his body for warmth, and also to disguise his dramatically thin self.

As he walked up to the small desk in the corner, Daen looked around. This place was far different from the temple he had grown up in and yet the young man felt absolutely nothing because he had not been expecting anything.

Did they have expectations? Daen didn’t know, he hadn’t been made aware of what information had been sent before him.

Daen set down a small canvas bag that held a few of his belongings and gave a stiff bow to the one behind the desk. When he spoke, his whole voice undermined the devilish appearance, quiet and tired. He pulled the edges of his cloak closer.

“I’m Daen C’allyx. I’m supposed to check in when I get here. I’m expected.”

Falcon Gyndar
Oct 25th, 2003, 08:26:33 PM
Falcon was hanging out in the R.C. right at the time.
It had been so quiet for the past few hours, and Falcon was sitting kicked back looking at a datapad, with his feet up on a box of work that he'd left sitting in his room what seemed like eons ago before he had went back to Tyntia. The knight was so absorbed, it took a couple moments for it to click that there was someone at the desk. He looked at the young man, then back at the datapad. He stood up and put the datapad down. Standing at the desk with his hands planted on it, he spoke.

"Hello Daen, and welcome to the Recruitment Centre....oh, ah, you're expected, you say?"

Falcon grabbed a clipboard from the small table behind the desk...

"Hmmm..ahh....Oh, here we are. Daen C’allyx."

He smiled, and walked out from behind the desk, talking as he went.

"I'm Falcon Gyndar, a knight here at the order...It's good to see new faces to, ah, add variety to the norm. So, tell me a little about yourself."

Daen C'allyx
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:44:56 PM
Though outwardy he remained stoic, inwardly Daen cringed. Everything was starting all over again. It was the cheerfulness, the normalcy of the situation that really stung him. It was all so confusing. He didn't want sympathy or pity, yet he grew so angry when people acted as if nothing had happened. He didn't want to talk about the events of the failed mission, but it was killing him everytime he woke up screaming in a cold sweat. Daen now hated the protocol of the Jedi, but he desperately didn't want to let it go.

He knew he had to answer the Knight, it was not an option to ignore it. That was one of the surfacing problems that Daen found himself fighting with; the urge to snap out at those who questioned him. It was exausting, mentally and emotionally. Having to justify his life with every breath, day in and day out, was a taxing job. Guilt and fear were always one step away from crushing him.

Some days Daen wanted them to.

With a stiff bow and a blink to clear the fuzzyness of his good eye, Daen answered.

"I am from the order on Almania. My master was recently...he was killed on a mission and the Council there did not think I was adjusting back into temple life. They thought it best to start out with a clean slate."

He pulled his cloak tighter about him again.

"I've been with the Jedi since I was seven. Not that that means anything now. I can't remember any of my training, it's been deleted or something. So I suppose I'm back to square one."

Falcon Gyndar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:36:53 PM
Falcon had made a slight faux-pas. The smile dropped off his face, replaced with nothing. In his years as a Jedi, he had dealt with many a situation, and knew what seemed like every approach to everything. The natives said amongst themselves that he had spirit eyes. The knight looked the young man straight in the eyes, expressing no emotion, and walked past him.

There's a gale and storm in this one...

"Come."

Falcon moved over to where there was a table surrounded by a few chairs. He motioned for Daen to follow. Falcon sat in one of the chairs, and gestured to the seat across from him. "Sit." Daen sat down, and Falcon started to talk, with a slight serious tone in his voice. "You look as tired as I did battered when I returned here." He rubbed a hand through his dark hair.
"I see we have common grounds between us. But I ask you not to part with anything that might be discomforting to you, even if the question is asked. I may be a knight, but please, do these things on your own time."
Falcon closed his eyes, and pushed back the recurring headache that had been nagging at him for some time. He also focused on the person across from him. "I'm from the Academy and Order on Tyntia..which, I regret to say, no longer exists."

He opened his eyes, now having complete clarity. Hmm... A clean slate...yes... He asked a simple yes or no question...

"A clean slate...So everything is gone..right down to the very basics?

Falcon sat back, and awaited an answer.

Daen C'allyx
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:43:49 PM
"I can meditate."

Daen sat in his chair, eyes cast slightly downward to avoid the light which still bothered them. It was a consolation to him that he was not being pressed to resurface the memories of the incident that had eventually brought him here.

"The Council back home made me go to the Mind Healers. They thought that perhaps I had just repressed the lessons, but they are non-existent now."

Falcon Gyndar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:56:19 PM
Falcon half-smiled.

"We can move if the light's bothering you...."

He then thought of a better idea...

"Are you hungry? I sure am..."

Daen C'allyx
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:05:37 PM
Predictable. Since his release from the MedWard Daen had practically been thrust mounds of food. In order to avoid having the Council send him back to the Healers, Daen had become acustomed to eating the minimum to avoid suspicion. The young man was never really hungry anymore.

"No. I ate on the transport."

Daen sighed mentally.

"How is this going to go? Starting over, I mean."

Falcon Gyndar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:08:55 PM
A small yawn escaped Falcon.

"Oh. Sorry...I haven't been sleeping well lately."

He regained his composure.

"Well, how will this go? Hmm.. We are going off a clean slate, correct? Therefore...."

Daen C'allyx
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:58:38 PM
Daen nodded, briefly toying with the idea of pulling his hood over his head. He was still having trouble adjusting to having vision in one eye only.

"Yeah, I get that bit. I know it'll be starting over. What I meant was what's the protocol here?"

He clasped his hands together.

"I'm not familiar with Coruscant, I was just wondering if things are done differently at this Order."

Falcon Gyndar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:44:52 PM
Falcon half-smiled.

"Well, starting over is starting over... Right from the bottom. And we, well, like with every student, progress is monitored. Not very different."

Daen C'allyx
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:54:41 PM
He had figured as much. Jedi were Jedi, no matter where you went. There would be differences of course, it was inevitable, but they would be neither blinding nor blaring. Daen nodded methodically before asking his next question.

"Am I expected to appear before the Council here?"

He hadn't the faintest idea what measures the Almanian Council had taken regarding his transferring here.

Falcon Gyndar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:56:51 PM
Falcon pondered the question a moment...

"Ah.. I can honestly say I don't quite know how to answer that question. I've only been back a month, and I haven't been briefed on any new protocol. I don't think they've changed anything, so...well, I guess not. When my daughter came here..she's adopted, by the way...there was nothing concerning her appearing before the council. They just like to be kept up to date on who's enrolled here, progress...So that, I suppose, would make you a regular student with his own problems. And believe me...in the universe today, it seems everyone has a problem or two."

He paused, and took a small breath.

"When I came here for the first time, I had already attained Master's status back home. But...Tyntia's academy is formed from a small settlement of Jedi that came to that planet a few hundred years ago. So we were cut off from the advancements. That's why I came here. I had to do a small bit of training before I could continue as just a Knight here. And I'm quite happy. Everyone has their own problems. So not to worry, you'll fit in fine here."

Daen C'allyx
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:18:21 PM
Daen nodded. He wouldn't appear before the Council unless summoned, and even then he would evade it as long as possible. He had never had good experiences with them, and he wasn't looking forward to creating new ones here.

The boy stood, shaking slightly with the effort, and bowed again.

"I'll see to getting a room then?"