Figrin D'an
Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:47:41 PM
Aye... my thoughts as well.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:14:09 PM
Ditto

TheHolo.Net
Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:15:14 PM
Annoying yes, but provoking him/her/it is not the least bit cool.

Shawn
Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:18:48 PM
According to her profile, she's twelve. :| We've had younger posters in the past who made a fair deal more sense than her. But, then again, our public school systems just get worse every year.

But please keep in mind her age and general posting behaviour before replying to him. Harassing her really isn't going to accomplish much of anything.

Figrin D'an
Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:25:52 PM
I took note of the person's age. I've attempted to provide some constructive criticism. It probably won't be well-received, but one can hope at least.

Sanis Prent
Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:37:17 PM
I think I'm going to take a half dozen valium and wash my hands of it.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:39:50 PM
The "Ignore" feature might come in somewhat handy for some in regards to this poster.

Shawn
Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:42:29 PM
Oh! I just remembered! ^_^;

A while back, while experimenting with a few things, I decided to empty the the ignore templates for the Coruscant Nights styleset. What this means is that, if you place a user on ignore and you're using this styleset, their posts will be completely invisible to you: It will be as if they never even posted.

If this is something you guys don't like, I can change it back in a few seconds.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:44:39 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
Oh! I just remembered! ^_^;

A while back, while experimenting with a few things, I decided to empty the the ignore templates for the Coruscant Nights styleset. What this means is that, if you place a user on ignore and you're using this styleset, their posts will be completely invisible to you: It will be as if they never even posted.

If this is something you guys don't like, I can change it back in a few seconds. I'm okay with it being in only a single style or two, but occasionally I accidentally click Ignore and don't discover it until I see an ignored user in a thread they posted in. Not being able to see the posts at all would be bad for me in those instances. ^_^;

Sanis Prent
Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:48:43 PM
Valium > Ignore feature

Besides, I can't use the ignore feature here. I'd be negligent if I did.

Meras. Hoo boy. All the time.

Shawn
Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:49:38 PM
I'm sure you'll notice something is wrong when someone has started a thread, yet their posts are nowhere to be found inside the actual thread. ;)

For me, when I have someone on ignore (which, for reference, I have no one on ignore with this account) I see the "You have this person on ignore" box and I wonder what they could have possibly posted. With their posts being invisible, it's like being able to ban whoever you want, since they'll cease to exist to you. :)

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:16:28 PM
It's a she... And I think that I might just take you up on your ignore feature.

Actually, I won't. Maybe, just maybe, she'll get the picture. I'm not trying to bait her, just trying to gently guide her to a more appropriate style. :)

Master Yoghurt
Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:26:55 PM
I personally never use ignore. I have infinitive amount of patience :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:12:08 PM
Yog is da masta.

:) She's 12, just ignore her.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:34:22 PM
Ryan Pode annoys me far more than an obvious kid does.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:03:17 AM
It occurs to me that <a href=http://swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32711>this topic</a> would never have been hijacked if it had been an older more experienced poster. I dont support mocking newbies with pie related posts (as tasty as it may be), we are supposed to be rolemodels. Had it been me, you could pie me as many times as you like. I LOVE pie. Apple, cheese, blueberry.. all flavors. Yum.

Deville and Marcus did the right thing trying in explaining the poor poster why the topic is hijacked. Even more appropriate would be splitting the thread and moving the non pie part with a redirect to the MISC forum. Which brings me to the next point..

The MISC forum. Currently, its not being used much, mostly sig tests and random posts. Not many serious topics. The forum description for BO may appear misleading for newbies. It says "..discuss other topics in general". How can a new poster be expected to know a topic is supposed to be posted in MISC instad of BO?

My suggestion is, either form some posting guidelines for BO forum, or do this;

* change the forum title to "Box office and Entertainment". Valid topics are box office, movies, sports and entertainment in general
*change the MISC forum to "General Discussion" for more serious general discussion topics. This is the place for those who want to talk politics etc.
* add a subforum in the General Discussion forum named "Miscellaneous topics and testing". For signature tests and other clutter

Voila! You have a less confusing layout and a clear role for each forum

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:21:27 AM
But the Box Office regulars do not go to other forums generally. I dont really supprt changing the description or the character of the B.O forum, as it really has developed into it's own thing, due to the nature fo the posters there. Leave it as is as you will remove some of it's basic character. Personally, I enjoy the occasional waaaaay offtopic political discussion that occasionally goes on there.

I do think however a caution be added that the old farts do rule the roost and do their own thing and some sort of caution for n00bs needs to be taken. It is the more adult grouping of posters and acts as such..... usually.

so really, what this n00b did was walk into a forum that has a group of posters who are much older. and of course, this group has been around together for a very long time, most of the regulars are 4 years since they arrived. If anything, just a warning that n00bs be careful and respect this group and behave is all that should be needed, plus stay ontopic unless one of the old farts goes off topic.

You probably need to have a bit of respect to start a topic here without risking a hijack or a walking stick clouting you young uns from us old bastards.

Which sums up IMO what the B.O forum members tend to be like. I guess shithouse spelling, barely coherent sentances and fucking SMS type word shortcuts dont help either. The typical AOL n00b is in trouble in the B.O forum IMO.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:57:34 AM
Well, concidering the lack of interesting content in the MISC forum, I understand people would not want to go there. That forum is a mess to be honest :p

I am not sure its true the BO posters dont visit other forums either. Look at at all the forums in the SW category. Star Wars Films, Expanded Universe, General Gaming, Collecting. They all seem to be visited by the BO posters.

Looking at the first page of topics in the BO forum, there are currently 25 topics, where 20 of them are entertainment related. 5 of them are not entertainment related; 1 is a forum announcement, 1 is comment to the forum design. 2 are political topics, and 1 topic about pies. How much of a change in character for this forum would it be really?

You remember that political affiliation topic in the OOC forum? I am sure many posters would have preferred if it it was allocated in its own forum designed for those kind of topics. There are lots of good politic topics in the BO forum, but they kinda drown by the massiv amount of entertainment threads. If the clutter in the MISC forum were to be moved (to the proposed subforum), and the long serious political and news article posts were moved to the suggested General Discussion forum, it would suddenly become a much more attractive place to post.

Anyway, its just a thought for future concideration. I dont expect everyone to embrace the idea at once (although I know I am right ;)).

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:06:21 AM
Why not put the SW films and BO forums together since theyre both about movies?

Master Yoghurt
Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:55:45 AM
Because this is a SW fan board, and there should be a dedicated forum to discuss the SW movies? :) The SW Films is a medium sized forum with its 13,000 posts, so it has allready proved its value. The box office forum has 50,000 posts. IMO, its more convenient having the SW topics in one place, not putting everything in one huge forum. This is also a part of the reason I think its best to have a general discussion forum for non entertainment threads.

Anyway, it is just an idea. Its up to the BO mods and the staff if they accept it as a viable idea to concider

Figrin D'an
Oct 23rd, 2003, 12:29:04 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
It occurs to me that <a href=http://swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32711>this topic</a> would never have been hijacked if it had been an older more experienced poster. I dont support mocking newbies with pie related posts (as tasty as it may be), we are supposed to be rolemodels. Had it been me, you could pie me as many times as you like. I LOVE pie. Apple, cheese, blueberry.. all flavors. Yum.

Deville and Marcus did the right thing trying in explaining the poor poster why the topic is hijacked. Even more appropriate would be splitting the thread and moving the non pie part with a redirect to the MISC forum. Which brings me to the next point..

Well, to be blunt... a topic such as that is one that can quickly explode into a flame fest. It's a issue with a many points of view, held by people who, in many cases, will defend those viewpoints vigorously. The last thing we need is for a 12 year old newbie poster to be unwittingly caught up in such a thread, and potentially end up being the target of undue harsh and mean comments.

So, be it viewed as immature or not, hijacking that thread, IMO, was a much better course of action than to allow the original discussion to continue. I don't see it as mocking. I see it as a method of dissuasion away from the original topic. When dealing with younger people, this is often times an effective method to serve as a precursor to an explanation.

Kudos to those that did eventually provide an explanation. I just wouldn't be so quick to judge and dismiss the actions of others in that thread as immature and acting as improper rolemodels.

As for the forum revamp idea... I have no opinion. Do what you will.

Shawn
Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:32:36 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Well, to be blunt... a topic such as that is one that can quickly explode into a flame fest.

So, be it viewed as immature or not, hijacking that thread, IMO, was a much better course of action than to allow the original discussion to continue. I agree. Abortion is very touchy subject, and she had already started it off on the wrong foot. No good could have possibly come from the topic. I'm actually kind of proud that the posters did something humorous with it instead of just tossing insults back and forth and eventually having the thread closed.

It has nothing to do with her being a newbie. A new person could have easily posted the same topic in a different fashion and received serious replies.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:04:21 PM
Sorry if you were offended by my statement, Figrin. My bad. I am sure.. I know you have the best of intentions. Concidering your impeccable standard of posting ethics and quality for 4 years, I can with certain confidence say you are one of the most level minded on the board. I would never dare implying you are an improper rolemodel, quite the opposite in fact! :)

I am not going to imply the others who posted attempted to mock the poster either. They were probably thinking the same as you. And you are quite right its a highly sensitive topic which tends to stirr up emotions. Such threads may eventually lead to a flame war if not handled with the utmost care. Instead of letting the topic drift into that zone, it may have proven the right thing to do.

What I do imply though, as long time posters of this board, we have a special responsibility to act as rolemodels. Our actions and posts is a strong influence for new members. I think we can agree on that.

What set off my alarm bells, the topic went on for a while before the explaination was given. I would assume, the poster had the feeling of being ignored and made fun of. Thats why I used the word mocking, although in all purpose and intent, it had a constructive role. While she may be only 12 years old, she has thoughts and feelings as any other human being. We should try to keep that in mind when replying to her posts in the future. Thats what I tried to put across in my statement.

Hope its clearer now :)

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:48:19 PM
I think that if she doesn't get the hint in all of the other 32 threads that she started, she sure isn't going to get it in the abortion one. I'm all for being as nice as possible to newbies, I mean, we were all new once, but that topic could have gotten really heated and, given her inability to accept criticism after the fact, I'm personally pleased that it was handled this way, as opposed to the alternative.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:53:09 PM
I think a little tweaking of the "SW Forums" is a good idea, as Yoghurt laid out in post 17.

Sanis Prent
Oct 23rd, 2003, 06:48:21 PM
Maybe its dogged elitism, but I don't think we should cater to "AOL-esque" pre-pubescents. I dunno, we do pretty well in our own demographic.

But that's just me, and I've been wrong before.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:29:54 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Maybe its dogged elitism, but I don't think we should cater to "AOL-esque" pre-pubescents. I dunno, we do pretty well in our own demographic.

But that's just me, and I've been wrong before.

The nice part of me disagrees. The major part of me that wants to take a bat to AOL-n00bs agrees. Thence I'd just say that the B.O forum should have the warning. It's nice to have a more serious and well spoken area on the board.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:13:18 PM
Well, I suppose we could have a clausul at the sign up process which says you have to be 15 years or older to register.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:22:05 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
Well, I suppose we could have a clausul at the sign up process which says you have to be 15 years or older to register.

Nah. That's not something I think we want. Not all under 15 are immature. Hell, some over 15 should never have been allowed to join instead :D

Encouraging peopel to read the FAQ and be aware of the community standards is a better move.

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 23rd, 2003, 09:10:31 PM
^Yes. This is it right here.

Either she gets the hint or she leaves. Either way, no big deal for me, personally.