PDA

View Full Version : My Computer Has Been Invaded!

imported_Terran Starek
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:38:05 PM
Hi everyone.

I am currently experiencing some serious computer problems. When I am connected to the internet and using my computer, I seem to have countless pop-ups, downloads attempting to get downloaded, adds, and other nuissances that are constantly annoying the crap out of me. I can't even type, because crap is constantly popping up. Right now, I'm on a different computer.

A while ago, a friend suggested that I download the program "Ad-Aware 6.0" or something to that tune. I did so, and a few days ago I ran it for the second time. It located a ridiculous ammount of add software and such on my computer, but it 'failed' to remove some parts. So, I guess there are some things still left.

I am currently running Zone Alarm and Pop-Up Blocker, but regardless of what I do, I am constantly annoyed by these pop-ups and such. My friend suggested that this could be "SpyWare," and I have no clue what that means. But I do know that it is severely affecting my computers ability to function.

Any help would be desperately and feverishly appreciated, with "Thank-yous" and smilies (like this one :) ) as I am at a loss for what to do. My computer program competency level is about average, so things that require me to poke with important parts of my OS (XP) like the registry (that I have been told NOT to mess with by my friends) or anything that I can hurt myself more by changing are probably off base.

You guys rock and thanks for listening to me babble. :D

Terran

Sejah Haversh
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:40:35 PM
Download and use the program Spybot: Search and Destroy. I find it to be more powerful and more practical than Ad-Aware.

imported_Terran Starek
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:43:45 PM
I'm heading up to my comp to give it a whirl. Will pay-up with said "Thank-yous" and smilies :) upon success. :D

Figrin D'an
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:57:02 PM
Spybot works well, but so does Ad-Aware. I use them both, simply because on occasion, one will catch something that other misses, as vice-versa.

Run Windows Update if you haven't already. There are numerous patches available to fix the millions of security issues that have cropped up so far.

imported_Terran Starek
Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:58:21 PM
Thank-yous and smilies to both Fig and Sejah! :D That worked pretty well. I scanned with Spy-bot and got rid of some stuff, then I scanned with Ad-aware and got rid of more stuff, then I scanned with 'em both again until my results were clean. Now, I'm running nicely. :)

Although, IE seems to be really quirky. It has many, many bugs now--it messes with my type, doesn't select properly, changes crap on me constantly, and the likes. So, I downloaded Mozilla, and it seems to be running perfectly fine. I'm very content. :)