PDA

View Full Version : Why are the sith Lightsavors Red?

ADarksideJedi
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:50:17 PM
Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question I was just wondering why red?Any guesses or does any of u fans know the answear?JACKIE:angel

Figrin D'an
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:49:42 PM
I'm sure there is some reason that is documented somewhere in the expanse of the Expanded Universe to explain this in context, but I have no idea what it might be.

From a film-making standpoint, when Lucas made the first film in 1977, blue and red were chosen for Obi-Wan's and Vader's sabres because they provided the best contrast (ie. the post-film visual effects team and Uncle George found out that blue and red looked the best for the fight scene.) Once technology improved, other colors were added (Luke's green sabre in ROTJ), and now with digital enhancement, pretty much any color can be applied. Since Vader's sabre in the original trilogy was red, they likely decided that the red sabre should be a Sith trademark, and thusly we have seen both Darth Maul and Count Dooku (Darth Tyrannus) with red sabres.

JMK
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:52:26 PM
Red could also be taken as a more agressive color, which would make sense for the Sith to use them.

Ardath Bey
Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:32:54 AM
I also heard that Darksiders create an artificial version of the crystal or gem used by the Jedi that can produce only red blades for their own lightsabers.

The Ace of Clubs
Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:45:15 AM
I found two semi-interesting pages

http://pub60.ezboard.com/fstarwarsadventuresv20frm15.showMessage?topicID=4. topic
http://212.168.23.160/creed/journey3.shtml

darth_mcbain
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:05:04 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Red could also be taken as a more agressive color, which would make sense for the Sith to use them.

I completely agree. I think of red as way more of an agressive color. Red is symbolized with war and blood. Fitting that the Sith would have red sabers. Blue and Green are softer, less agressive colors, which it would make sense for the Jedi to use.

As for the different crystals used in making the saber, I had heard that too, but I don't know too much about the specifics of it.

ADarksideJedi
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:06:19 PM
That is true Red seen like the color for being aggived but black is for evil most of the time!But I do see what u guys mean by that!Wow u guys really thought this over!JACKIE THANKS!:D

Sith Lord
Nov 30th, 2003, 01:53:03 PM
Ah, you all are sterotypes! (No offense)

Adi Galleia, a member of the Jedi Council, had a RED LIGHTSABER!

Saber crystals are saber crystals, they are usually found in caves, alcoves etc. etc., while constructing the lightsaber you insert one of these crystals into the metallic chamber itself, thus the beam turns that color. But there are explainations for saber colors mentioned in the game Knights of the Old Republic. Thousands of years ago, when they actually considered color to reflect themselves, would be:

Blue -> Jedi Guardian
Yellow -> Jedi Sentinel
Green -> Jedi Counciler (?)

Usually red, orange, or any other light but harsh color meant you were of the Sith, but the Jedi Order in the Prequals, color did not matter.

But if you are referring to SW Canon, Figrin is right.

Sith Lord
Nov 30th, 2003, 01:58:48 PM
Also, lets consider double-bladed lightsabers. Now some would think them to be pure tools of evil, but in the Old Republic, several members of the Jedi Council had double-sided sabers, and in the New Republic, under the Government of Master Skywalker, Jedi's were allowed DB Sabers and duel sabers.

But this is also purely opposite (this is where it relates to the topic!) Exar Kun (Prounonced Koon) was the first to wield a DB saber, though it was the size of a normal saber, it was Double sided. But it's color was BLUE, a so called "Jedi" color, but Kun became a Sith Lord, and nearly crippled the Old Republic. So even with this, color should not matter.

Lady Winter
Dec 22nd, 2003, 03:31:38 AM
Color, I think, doesn't necissarily matter to the Jedi, but I think the Sith use red almost like a tradition.

TEEPO™
Dec 22nd, 2003, 11:37:05 AM
Red represents anger and power, which seems appropriate for the Sith.

Lady Winter
Dec 23rd, 2003, 01:06:49 AM
I looked at the ezboard link that Ace of Clubs posted, and I liked what it said:

Red - The color of passion. Emotionally strong and powerful. A person using a red saber does not fend off emotions, instead the embrace raw emotion. They are not afraid to feel the sorts of emotions that Jedi train to ignore, instead, using those emotions to strengthen their resolve. They embrace their raw feelings often giving them a physical edge, forcing their opponents to try and outskill them. Red is the color of hate, love, and fear.

If this is true, it would mean that Sith aren't the only ones who might use a red lightsaber. It's a very interesting theory.

JMK
Dec 23rd, 2003, 09:07:02 AM
That's a little too in depth for my liking. To me, red is just the color of aggression, hate and power and this is why the Sith use red colored sabers.

ReaperFett
Dec 29th, 2003, 02:29:50 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
From a film-making standpoint, when Lucas made the first film in 1977, blue and red were chosen for Obi-Wan's and Vader's sabres because they provided the best contrast (ie. the post-film visual effects team and Uncle George found out that blue and red looked the best for the fight scene.) Once technology improved, other colors were added (Luke's green sabre in ROTJ),
IIRC, they had to use green as blue looked bad when against the sand of Tatooine.

I like the KOTOR theory though. You're given a crystal relevent to what you are, but doesn't mean you must use it.

Dae Jinn
Dec 29th, 2003, 10:05:40 PM
Why are the sith Lightsavors Red?

because..they like the cherry flavor best? :angel

CrimsonDiablo
Jan 9th, 2004, 01:55:38 PM
Originally posted by TEEPO™
Red represents anger and power, which seems appropriate for the Sith.

I Agree. Everything about the sith was supposed to represent their aggression, like their fighting stances

According to the visual dictionary Jedi hold their sabers in defensive positions e.g. vertically in front of them. The sith however hold theirs in a more aggressive way e.g. towards their opponent drawing them into combat.

So i guess red is a good aggresive colour to go with a good aggresive position:)

Kennon Chishio
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:01:19 PM
I believe I read somewhere that the crystal that makes the lightsaber red also makes it more powerful. So it would make sense really that the Sith would go with the more powerful crystal.

Hart
Mar 2nd, 2004, 03:58:58 PM
Or perhaps it reflects some ancient Sith symbolism.