PDA

View Full Version : Post

TheHolo.Net
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:04:49 PM
test

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:53:14 PM
Does anyone want to buy my used sweatsocks?

Please? :)

Master Yoghurt
Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:56:42 PM
We could trade. I'll take the socks if you will take my holed T-shirt :)

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:53:39 PM
DEAL!

*sings* Ohhh, Holy t-shirt.... thy threads are brightly shiiiiining.... :P

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:50:57 AM
lmao

Charley's sword thread would go nicely in here :p

ReaperFett
Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:34:29 AM
Hey Ryla, you can have my holey socks too if you want :)

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:51:09 AM
You have holy socks? :eek

ReaperFett
Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:54:57 AM
Every single pair currently :)

Master Yoghurt
Oct 23rd, 2003, 11:08:12 AM
I worship Fett's Holy Socks :)

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:50:30 PM
Now that's a CT... ;)

Charley
Nov 2nd, 2003, 09:38:46 PM
Yeah, I could stand to sell stuff here.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 18th, 2003, 02:44:13 PM
*pokes the forum with a stick* It's ded!!!

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 18th, 2003, 02:47:07 PM
We need stuff to sell.

Put yourself up for auction.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:23:41 AM
Okay...to the highest bidder!

...wait, me?? No no, I'm not on the market. ^_^;

Slayn Cloak
Jan 7th, 2004, 03:46:02 AM
Reviving old post!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so basically I want to sell my right kidney. I'm going to give any of you guys a deal, that's why I didn't start a new thread... Ok so, any takers? BTW I will not sell to Shawn.
(That guy still hasn't settled his baby bill. )

TheHolo.Net
Jan 7th, 2004, 07:34:20 PM
hmmm, since this forum is private and not being used for its original intended purpose yet, maybe it could also become a bittorrent trade and discussion forum?

Darth Viscera
Jan 7th, 2004, 07:50:16 PM
yay for bittorrent

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 8th, 2004, 03:34:08 AM
:thumbup:thumbup

Darth Viscera
Jan 8th, 2004, 05:29:17 AM
Can anyone here donate some bittorrent seeding time to a noble cause, the cause being the distribution of star wars galaxies installation disc CD images so I can spread some buddy keys around and everyone can try a 7-day free trial of the game?

It's 1.94 gigs though. But it would be a helluva way to start out the bittorrent trading thing in this forum.

edit~or is there an insufficient interest in star wars galaxies to warrant such an arrangement?

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 8th, 2004, 06:21:34 AM
KOTOR might get things kicked.

Darth Viscera
Jan 8th, 2004, 07:52:06 AM
yeah, if we could get lots of seeders. it's at least 2.8 gigs

TheHolo.Net
Jan 8th, 2004, 02:29:04 PM
I don't realy think we are in a position to do our own torrents with seeds and trackers. I'm leery of setting up a tracker here because of the attention it would draw, and the supporters with interest in it aren't in a high enough number to really do it feasibly. I'm not even sure if all of our swfans posters were involved if we would have enough people to effectively run our own tracker.

But as far as KOTOR goes it looks like there are still a couple torrents alive and kicking over at Suprnova for it, one with about 80 seeds right now and another with significantly less seeds.

As for the Galaxies suggestion, I myself am not really interested in it due to the fact that for the most part I do not enjoy online games and thats all it is.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 8th, 2004, 02:43:51 PM
Here is a link to the one listed on Suprnova that has the high number of seeds.

<a href=http://suprnova.dataracks.net/torrents/610/Star_Wars_Knights_Of_The_Old_Republic-Razor1911_%5Bbt-gm%5D_%5Befnet%5D.torrent> Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic-Razor1911 [bt-gm] [efnet]</a> 2781 Mb

Morgan Evanar
Jan 13th, 2004, 02:05:21 PM
Soon I'll be able to torrent miscellaneous things with excellent upload. Right now my DSL is gone though.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:59:19 PM
I have to ask..........bittorrent? Use small words please in any explanation. Thank you :)

:hug for Morg

TheHolo.Net
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:00:38 PM
Read the <a href=/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33831>BitTorrent F.A.Q.</a>

Master Yoghurt
Jan 14th, 2004, 07:11:25 AM
Well, it may not be a lot, but I got some 640 kbits of upload speed, so I could donate some bandwith. With time and patience, even SWG should be possible to download for those interested giving it a try :)

Btw, the 7-day free trial buddy program of SWG depends on friends distributing the CDs to each other, so it is in fact endorsed by the developers of the game. The game license rights are controlled through the game keys and subscription status which admits you playing time and login access to the servers.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 14th, 2004, 02:12:50 PM
Read it. Dont get it.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 15th, 2004, 03:00:01 PM
The only way I know how to explain it isn't really suitable for someone with limited PC skills but here goes to add to what you have read.

BitTorrent is a file distribution method. Torrent file are small files that include meta information about how to connect to other people either sharing the same file(s) or also downloading the shared file(s).

You download and install a bittorrent client so that your PC knows how to handle torrent files and can connect to others sharing and downloading the file(s).

Using the files that are downloaded via bittorrent typically requires some working knowledge of file types and what their purposes are. Often times a downloaded file or group of files require special video codecs to play, or require that you burn an image file to CD via a specific process. Sometimes its more simple than that in that a torrent can contain just a group of jpeg files and can easily be accessed after downloading.

In one of my posts I referred to bittorrent as a "file swarming" application, what I mean by that is that a torrent works best when there is a large number of people connected to the same download and are thus sharing their downloaded pieces of the file with the others connected. BitTorrent is give and take. You take what you need, and give what you already have, but this is all done automatically via your bittorrent client software.

I doubt this does much but confuse you more, but I tried. :p

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 15th, 2004, 03:36:43 PM
Actually it did help to an extent :) (Thanks, Oges)

Its sort of like Kaaza but without all your files being out there...just the one or bits of one that you have. Like pieces of a puzzle...you take a piece from one person, then maybe another until you get the whole picture.....right?

TheHolo.Net
Jan 15th, 2004, 03:40:58 PM
Yes, when attached to a torrent, that file (or group of files, because a single torrent can contain multiple files) is the only thing being shared, unlike how Kazaa works with you having an entire directory shared at all times.

In that way it makes finding a particular file you may want in a torrent file much harder because there is no way to search all the active torrents on the web.

You have to find and use lists of active torrents to find files.

Thats is the newly added purpose of this forum now. A listing place for torrents.

Torrents are downloaded in pieces, once you have a whole piece you are then able to share what you have with others at the same time you are downloading new pieces from other people attached to the torrent.

Torrents do support stopping a download midway and then restarting it where you left off later.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 16th, 2004, 07:52:45 AM
That makes sense :)

I do hate when a dl stops in the middle for whatever reason and you have to start all over again.

Master Yoghurt
Jan 16th, 2004, 12:54:08 PM
The great thing about BT, is how efficiently uses the bandwidth. If something is new and popular, the speeds will be great, because the more people downloading it at that time, the more people are also sharing the file.

Its a bit like Kazaa, only its about 50 times better than Kazaa can ever hope to be. Kazaa is a bit of a joke in my eyes when there are at least 5 P2P systems out there which do the job better. No wait, allmost anything is better than Kazaa! Why do people keep flocking to it?

Because they dont know better. This is coming from someone who does not like viruses, fake/misnamed files, spyware, Sharman's networks bully corporate attitude, tracking bots, freeloaders, low network horizon, inefficient bandwidth and file distribution management etc etc. The list just goes on and on and on. Fasttrack (Kazaa) is an aging network technology wise. The only positive about it is the number of users and its ability to work as decoy for the RIAA! :p

Shawn
Jan 16th, 2004, 01:49:42 PM
I actually don't like BitTorrent; I simply use it because it's what everyone else is using, which makes it easier to get what I want.

Downsides: Inability to search for anything in particular. There are exceptions to this (novasearch) but, for the most part, I can't just do a search and find exactly what I want.

Obscure stuff is neigh-impossible to find. If it's not new and popular, good luck. For that matter, anything more than a few months old is difficult to find.

Your download speeds depends on everyone else's generosity. Try downloading something off of Suprnova and you'll quickly learn that people aren't very generous, as a whole.

The proportional download/upload system is useful for trying to force people to share, but it also severely limits my download since I have ADSL. My upload being capped at around 25k/sec, my download speeds usually aren't much faster than 30k/sec... if I'm lucky. Downloading anything in the 1+gb range at those speeds is a bit difficult.

Generally, I prefer DC++ for filesharing, but it seems like people are being equally ungenerous there, too. Lately, when I hop on a hub, very few people have any open slots at all.

Darth Viscera
Jan 16th, 2004, 01:53:19 PM
Shawn, the rule of thumb for aDSL is, limit your upload to 80% of its max speed to ensure that your download remains plenty fast. My max upload speed is 40KB/sec, so I limit it to 31KB/sec, and the downloads fly in at 100+ KB/sec at the same time, whereas my max download speed is 165KB/sec.

TheHolo.Net
Jan 16th, 2004, 02:18:50 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
Your download speeds depends on everyone else's generosity. Try downloading something off of Suprnova and you'll quickly learn that people aren't very generous, as a whole.This is one of the reasons I like Azureus, even on Suprnova torrents I get decent speeds, where with other clients I didn't.

My DSL is pretty slow being only 512/128 but on most torrents I average between 40 and 60 KB speeds with Azureus, while when I tried ABC, I would only get an average of 20 to 30 KB. And the proportional theory doesn't really hold true. Its just what everyone is told to encourage sharing.

There have been plenty of times where I'm getting 60 KB and running my upload at about 70% to 80% of my upload max, where I switch it down to 10% or less of my upload max and my download speeds aren't affected at all, even left this way for a few hours.

One thing I have learned to avoid with my DSL though, is what Visc just said. If you oversaturate your DSL upload, it cuts into your download speed severely. But when limiting it at about 80% or less of my total available, my download speeds reach what appears to be my maximum of 67 or 68 KB without much trouble.

Shawn
Jan 16th, 2004, 02:21:31 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
Shawn, the rule of thumb for aDSL is, limit your upload to 80% of its max speed to ensure that your download remains plenty fast. My max upload speed is 40KB/sec, so I limit it to 31KB/sec, and the downloads fly in at 100+ KB/sec at the same time, whereas my max download speed is 165KB/sec. I do. I usually limit my torrents to 20k/sec. And the proportional thing is kinda iffy: If there's an excess of bandwith, it just gets shared around. But it does seem to be in place.