PDA

View Full Version : Advice?

Ka' el Darcverse
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:52:43 AM
Well it seems that my days of youthful exhueberance and lackadasical responsibilities are rapidly coming to a cataclysmic halt (i.e. I'm going to be graduating from college). Now it is time for me to slap on a suit and go whore myself to the highest bidder for both my time and my soul (Trying to find a job in Advertising, hence the soul part). I have recently begun a quest of the gravest importance, that will lead me close to the border's of hell itself (applied for an Account Coordinator's position at Rhea & Kaiser an Agricultural Advertising Firm out of Naperville, IL a suburb of Chicago *groan*). Now I have contacted Wisemen and women asking them for a boon (contacted the HR director about applying) displying my tenacious skills and exhorting the transgressions of my past (sent in a resume as well) and I must now continue to commune with these Judges of worth (I need to get in good with their hiring comittee.). So I beseech you goodly lord's and ladies of this magical realm (ok you freaks here at SW-Fans) what knowledge have thee of how to prove my worth and be glorified with riches and glory untold (How do I get them to stay in touch with me and give me an interview so I can get paid big bucks and have my advertisements posted all over the frikkin' place?)

Rhiannon
Oct 18th, 2003, 08:39:46 AM
Howdy Ka'el ~

Well, I'll tell you what I did to land what is the interview of a lifetime for me personally and perhaps it may help you out.

First, I use to live about 15 minutes from Naperville (well, I still have my house there) and I did live in Naperville before - twice. It's not so bad; it's just overly crowded and traffic on Rte. 59 sucks major < censored > :) But, it is a real nice community, apartments/housing is not cheap and the Fox Valley Mall is nice too. (I hate shopping, don't get me wrong, but the mall is huge, clean and has stores in it to suit all tastes; plus its decorated real cool for the holidays)

Be sure to check out the Riverwalk sometime. Nice lil area, especially for taking your girl to after a nice dinner and a movie .. er something :smokin :D

I've been working my butt off for the past five years to get my life where I want it to be. It has not been easy at all for me for the past 16 years and finally my hardwork is paying off. I do still have a few more years to go before I have attained what I feel is the perfect life for me.

I recently moved to another state, living with my fiance` now, and I moved with nothing at all to my name other than the clothes on my back. I've applied for a couple of positions at the University of Iowa in the field I've wanted to be in since I was six years old.

I sat through a three-hour interview/orientation just to be able to get my name into the Uni's systems in order to be able to compete (yes, they did say 'compete') for the position(s) I applied for. (Nursing Assistant, Psyche Nursing Assistant).

Though I was so nervous that I was shaking when speaking to the Employment Recruiter (their title, not what I would call them personally), I hid it very well.

Be sure to take a pause after each question you are asked during an interview. Not a long one, count to 3 or 5 then begin your reply. Make sure to speak clearly and never say too much. Don't speak ten words when you can say it in six. Seriously. Show confidence in you and your abilities; not to the point of arrogance.

Smile. Be the first to offer to shake hands; when your hand is taken, shake thrice firmly, then release. Always remember to smile. Maintain eye contact. Sit relaxed. Not slouched, just casual. (I hope that makes sense). Be friendly and toss in a little humor. Make them laugh atleast once during the interview.

After the interview, send a thank you card with a short personal, to-the-point note inside stating something like:

Dear so and so,

Thank you for interviewing me at {enter company name here) . I was impressed with the company and the type of (advertising) services the corporation provides.

Your comments gave me a good understanding of the business and your expectations for the (job title here) you are seeking. I am confident that my background and experience in (your area of experience or schooling) in detail could be useful to (enter company name again).

If you were to offer me this position, I believe that I could provide services that would meet the high standards of your corporation.

I look forward to talking again with you soon.

Very truly yours,

(Sign your name)

Its not up to them to keep in contact with you. It is up to you to keep in contact with them. After you've made phone calls, sent in applications/resume's etc, wait 1-2 days then call the HR department. State who you are, that you sent in an app or resume a couple of days ago and ask if anyone has had a chance to review it. If they say no, say thanks and hang up. Wait 1-2 more days and repeat. Never do this for more than every couple/few days for a total of 2 weeks; (to allow time in the event that the person to view the resume/app is on vacation, busy, etc)

That's about all the advice I have to offer and I hope that some of this might help you out.

Best of luck to you and I shall cross my fingers for you :)