PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil Apocolypse

Zatania Duvall
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:00:06 PM
Ho...ly...crap... I just saw the trailor for RE Apocolypse, coming in 2004. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D I can't wait! *major RE freak* Looks like Jill will be in it from the looks of the pics on this site I'm gonna link for anyone who wants to see the trailor.

http://movies.go.com/movies/R/residentevilnemesis_2003/index.html#

Darth007
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:08:36 PM
finally some news on this, you're not the only one waiting :D

Zatania Duvall
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:12:31 PM
There's some stuff here too. They talk about more of the characters here.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/residentevilapocalypse/synopsis.html

GOD! 2004 is too long. LOL Too bad they won't be having Leon in this one. He was one of my favs, next to Steve, but... well, if you follow the games, you know what happens. :(

Sejah Haversh
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:31:09 PM
Well, it can't POSSIBLY be worse than the first one. That one was so full of holes, impossibilities, and bad acting it really WAS a scary movie! I was afraid I might have to see that piece of trash again. RE is one of the worst movies ever made, and does not warrant a sequel.

It might be a fun game, but, wow, the movie stunk.

Zatania Duvall
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:32:21 PM
O.o EVIL! *smacks you with the nearest DVD case for the worst anime possible Saint Seiya*

HunterJodoKast
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:41:19 PM
Can't be worse than a Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. But than again. I think RE2 will be another clumsy affair like it's predecessor. The first one stunk.

Zatania Duvall
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:46:51 PM
I happen to like the first one. Sure, it wasn't the best zombie movie ever, and it didn't have any of the familiar characters in it. But I thought the actors did the best job that they could with the material they were given. The graphics for the zombies and that part in the laser hallway was really cool. This next one will definately be a hit because a lot of familiar characters will be in it. Fans will go see it simply because Jill and Carlos and Nicoli are in it. That or they want to see more of Milla's breasts and possibly Jill's.

HunterJodoKast
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:53:24 PM
The first movie really reeked corporate production not one's intimate filmmaker's vision. Didn't the studio actually search and hire a director and writer? I forgot.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:54:57 PM
Except that you didn't notice that the lasers, which diced a man, did NOT seem to cut the item the size of a steamer trunk in the same hallway. Evidently it doesn't cut plot devices.

And, the best with the material they had? That's like saying a man in a tutu put up a good fight against a panzer tank while armed only with a false moustache. They had NOTHING to work from!

For cripes sake, a special forces team doesn't even aim for the head! Can aybody please explain that to me? And, here's the dumbest thing, they tried to scientifically rationalize zombies. It cannot be done.

RE was a big, steaming pile, and I only pray that its sequel does not suck as badly.

HunterJodoKast
Oct 15th, 2003, 04:09:35 PM
Yes, they did search for a director and writer. Independent legend George Romero was once considered and even wrote a script but was ultimately rejected because of a conflict of vision and he would not make the necessary changes execs desired. These movies are just a means of cashing in on a massively popular video game.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 15th, 2003, 04:31:23 PM
The laser was coming for him I think in one straight line, and then it switched up about halfway through the hallway and turned into the cheese grater. I'll have to watch it again but I *think( that's what happened...?

Sejah Haversh
Oct 15th, 2003, 04:34:05 PM
The item in question moved a few times during this scene due to continuity errors. Also, there were several laser paths that would ahve at least clipped it, not to mention the one that went at ankle level appeared to start at the other end of the hall.

But still, trying to scientifically explain zombies is dumb dumb dumb. This movie's plot would have been better accomplished by filling the complex with concrete from above.

ReaperFett
Oct 15th, 2003, 04:42:13 PM
RE was good in a camp B-movie way. There were holes (Why did no special forces person try to headshot a zombie. When they first met, where did all the ZOmbies go?), but it was fun.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 15th, 2003, 04:44:16 PM
Why was only a team of maybe eight brought in? How are these zombies able to move their muscles after their lungs have ben shot, depriving them of the oxygen it takes to cause muscle movement, and how is their nervous system able to operate in a functional manner after the brain has eben without oxygen for at least a half hour, which would mean total brain death and systems failure....

The list goes on...

ReaperFett
Oct 15th, 2003, 04:47:00 PM
Originally posted by Sejah Haversh
Why was only a team of maybe eight brought in?
Remember the eight completed their mission and were leaving. Why take more when they had suceeded? They didn't expect zombies.

How are these zombies able to move their muscles after their lungs have ben shot, depriving them of the oxygen it takes to cause muscle movement, and how is their nervous system able to operate in a functional manner after the brain has eben without oxygen for at least a half hour, which would mean total brain death and systems failure....
How are zombies possible full stop? :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 15th, 2003, 04:50:00 PM
Zombies aren't possible. Don't tear the movie apart, of COURSE it isn't going to stand up to severe criticism.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 15th, 2003, 04:57:47 PM
But... but... it doesn't stand up to base criticism!

Zatania Duvall
Oct 15th, 2003, 05:12:24 PM
It's a MOVIE for crying out loud. Don't expect everything to be explainable in a fictional story. What? Do you WANT zombies to be real or something? The movie is meant to be fun and scary, and of course it's not going to have real monsters in it because monsters don't exist. But thats the point. People are afraid of what doesn't exist for some reason. Thats what makes scary movies fun.

As for the hallway, yes, it did turn into a cheese grater. Why? Because it's a smart computer and it was trying to destroy everyone in that hallway. But that guy kept dodging, so the computer did the only thing it could think of thats undodgeable.

As for why eight people were sent? Hello, Umbrella has a ton of money. They don't want anything getting out about the spill, so they're not going to hire a lot of people to send down there. But they will pay mercenaries a ton of cash so that they'll go. Of course, these hired hands don't know whats down there. And the reason why they didn't shoot for the head is because they're probably scared to death and didn't think of doing so. Would you shoot or run for your life in that situation?

Sejah Haversh
Oct 15th, 2003, 05:33:15 PM
I would shoot at the head. The fastest way to kill anything is to take out the head.

I'll admit that if all I had been doing was munching popcorn and not thinking at all, the movie might have been scary. But, once I started to think, it all fell apart.

I hated it, and I'll leave it at that.

HunterJodoKast
Oct 15th, 2003, 06:41:59 PM
Well, actually multi-purpose tactical teams are always small for obvious reasons. More stealthier and organized. Less personel to account for. Hit hard, hit silent; create diversionaries and confusion. Intelligence gathering, reconnaissance, and infiltration.

Also, law enforcement and military are taught to shoot for the vitals of the torso area because it is easier target to acquire and hit, and preferable over headshots during heavy fighting. But nonetheless, with such tactical and covert personel markmanship is rudimentary.

Used to read Ayoob articles religiously!!! ;)

Morgan Evanar
Oct 15th, 2003, 07:17:05 PM
I would shoot at the head. The fastest way to kill anything is to take out the head. A roach would differ.

Seriously, I really enjoyed RE. I was expecting it to be a lot worse.

JMK
Oct 15th, 2003, 08:41:28 PM
I thought the cutscenes in the video game(s) were better than the movie. And I haven't even begun to describe how ridiculous that *thing* was at the end.

Darth007
Oct 15th, 2003, 08:45:44 PM
It's a MOVIE for crying out loud. Don't expect everything to be explainable in a fictional story. What? Do you WANT zombies to be real or something? The movie is meant to be fun and scary, and of course it's not going to have real monsters in it because monsters don't exist.

THANK YOU

Seriously, I really enjoyed RE. I was expecting it to be a lot worse.

key word = enjoyed

I thought the cutscenes in the video game(s) were better than the movie. And I haven't even begun to describe how ridiculous that *thing* was at the end.

If you're talking about the Gamecube remake with insanely good graphics, that came out a while after the movie. Besides its easier to make something fake look good. When you try to implement that into a real movie with real people, of course its gonna look corny.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 15th, 2003, 08:54:50 PM
Movies are not immune from requiring logic and some sort of believeability. If it's not in the slightest bit explainable, then there is no internal logic and the film fails at the first hurdle. Especially n a horror movie, that absolutly relies on putting one over the audience and creating total belief that what's on film is the stuff of nightmares. Once you loose the suspension of belief, a horror film becomes nothing more than celluloid crap.

Some things dont need to be explained, but the suspension of belief must be maintined. It appears to me that Sejah is stating RE didnt even get to first base. That, I can well believe. That is also the reports I've read from critics.

JMK
Oct 15th, 2003, 09:08:52 PM
There are plenty of movies out there with animated creatures that blend a HELL of a lot better than that *thing* in RE.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 15th, 2003, 09:17:20 PM
Well, it can't POSSIBLY be worse than the first one. That one was so full of holes, impossibilities, and bad acting it really WAS a scary movie! I was afraid I might have to see that piece of trash again. RE is one of the worst movies ever made, and does not warrant a sequel.

I really disagree. It was actually entertaining, and a lot better than I expected. The way they made this movie ensured a seat tilt factor right from the start. AFAIK, its the *only* game to movie conversion with a somewhat succesful artistic outcome (not counting Final Fantasy to this category). And how can you say a sequel is not warranted when the whole movie acts like a huge set up for a continuation? I for one look forward to the next chapter.

Anyway, I am not saying this movie did not have plot holes. Just about any Hollywood action movie released today have those. But I fail to see it was any worse than the norm. What you have to concider, this is a science fiction movie, with *gasp* zombies in it. What did you expect? A nobel price qualified medical explaination in how to reanimate the dead? The movie actually did a decent try to rationalize it. In fact, what in your opinion made the science in the movie less plausible than the game? :)

The item in question moved a few times during this scene due to continuity errors. Also, there were several laser paths that would ahve at least clipped it, not to mention the one that went at ankle level appeared to start at the other end of the hall.

I checked my DVD rip, and this is what I see happen. The bag is dropped approximately in the middle of hallway. The first beam goes way high. The second beam starts fairly low, but above the bag. The third beam goes in the middle - again above the bag, before it it turns into a grid for the last 1/3 of the corridor. As far as I can see, there is no repositioning of the bag, and no way it could be damaged by the beam. As for the device and the bag itself, its smaller than it appears. Put lengthwise to the floor, its no higher than that ancle to knee height beam.

How are these zombies able to move their muscles after their lungs have ben shot, depriving them of the oxygen it takes to cause muscle movement

Apparently, the blood on these zoombies coagulated much faster than normal, so the blood would not have time to drown their lungs. Also, lungs have a large suface area, so those bullets would not be enough to collapse all of the lungs. Since, the zoombies had no nerve reception to pain, they just kept on walking. And even without working lungs, the blood carries oxygen through the blood for a good while. Besides, we just saw them carry on for some seconds, not like minutes or hours after being shot.

how is their nervous system able to operate in a functional manner after the brain has eben without oxygen for at least a half hour, which would mean total brain death and systems failure....

This was all explained:

Even in death, the human body still remains active. Hair and fingernails continue to grow, new cells are produced, and the brain itself holds a small electrical charge that takes months to dissipate. Much of the research in the Hive was devoted to those electronic signals left in the brain .... fragments of memory that decay over time. A virus, T—3 was developed. This T-virus provides a massive jolt to those trace electronic impulses.

The interesting thing is, in medical science, there have been examples of people being declared braindead, and yet they survived. Its an extremely rare occurance, but it is an indication we dont fully know how the brain works. Besides, even taking the above into account, I believe the record for a person surviving under water is 45 minutes. Of course, the heart stops and there would be massive brain damage.

Furthermore, the brains of these beings worked on a very elemental level. From the movie:

"The subjects have the simplest of motor functions. Perhaps a little memory .... virtually no intelligence. Driven by the basest of impulses .... the most basic of needs"

Anyway, its all sci fi zoombie nonsense. You should not taken it so serious exploring it with a magnifying glass, and just try to enjoy the movie :)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 15th, 2003, 09:18:43 PM
The games had a great story great character developement (you actually carred for some of the characters). That is part of the problem with the first film. I also think they went too far from the Video Game storyline and the licker being the main enemy was ridiculous, why not have a Tyrant at the end like in the first game that would have been more difficult, IMO.

JMK
Oct 15th, 2003, 09:22:19 PM
I believe the record for a person surviving under water is 45 minutes.
Yeah, but I bet it was water that was barely above freezing that preserved the body and brain quite well for those 45 minutes. Not tepid, nasty water. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 15th, 2003, 09:44:52 PM
Some good explanations Yog about the zombies. Also IMO the T-Virus became a living life form when it intereacted with dead flesh, if you play the games you see what I mean the creature in RE2 kept getting bigger and stronger.

Mortaniuss
Oct 15th, 2003, 10:08:42 PM
I enjoyed RE: Not as a horror flick, but as an action flick that happened to have zombies. I'll take it over the likes of xXx, Tomb Raider or any of the other truly atrocious actions movies that have been coming out lately. It was entertaining, and I'll definitely be going to see the sequel.

Plus, Milla is hot. :love

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 15th, 2003, 10:14:33 PM
It was more enjoyable that Tomb Raider, I got bored watching that movie.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 15th, 2003, 10:52:00 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr

Watching a cat pooping into a sandbox is more entertaining than Tomb Raider. Why oh why was there sequel to that sad sorry mess

Figrin D'an
Oct 15th, 2003, 10:59:52 PM
:lol at this whole thread...

Only on a board like this would people end up discussing the scientific merits (or lack thereof) of .... ZOMBIES!. :p

Darth007
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:30:37 PM
I also think they went too far from the Video Game storyline and the licker being the main enemy was ridiculous, why not have a Tyrant at the end like in the first game that would have been more difficult, IMO

The first movie is prequel to the events in the first game. The 2nd movie(Apocalypse) is a combination of events in RE1 and 2, hence Nemesis.

At first I was disappointed that the movie had little to nothing to do with the first game, because the game freaked the hell outta me, and the movie would definately fall more under the horror category. But in the end I kinda like how they didnt just remake the game as a movie, and added a more scientific(Umbrella labs/Computer in control/virus kinda thing) twist which made me think and I definately can't wait to see what they do with Apocalypse.

Jhoram Hyde
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:35:55 PM
:lol

With most any film, 'sides the obvious plot-holes, you have to suspend some length of logic and reason, or you will not enjoy much of anything. If anything at all. Especially the sci-fi, horror, and action genres. I once enjoyed RE but now clearly see it for what it is, Hollywood coldly trying to profit from a media cashcow.

Darth007
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:37:55 PM
Isn't every big blockbuster action movie an attempt to profit?

Jhoram Hyde
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:41:46 PM
Yes, but usually supported by an individual's(s) vision. Edit: It's a trite film and relies solely on slick visuals.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:34:25 AM
Just agree to disagree, and move on. :rolleyes :D

Sanis Prent
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:44:41 AM
Originally posted by Jhoram Hyde
Yes, but usually supported by an individual's(s) vision. Edit: It's a trite film and relies solely on slick visuals.

I knew you'd troll this thread. :cool

Anyway, RE is pretty decent, as far as the action/horror flicks go. Definitely didn't expect it to be as good as it was, seeing its a video game movie.

ReaperFett
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:56:46 AM
Originally posted by Darth007
Isn't every big blockbuster action movie an attempt to profit?
No, every MOVIE is an attempt to profit. It's an industry, industries try to make profit ;)

Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
TR had far more than RE IMO. TR2 didn't happen :)

Originally posted by Jhoram Hyde
I once enjoyed RE but now clearly see it for what it is, Hollywood coldly trying to profit from a media cashcow.
I clearly saw it as a movie I enjoyed.

Droo
Oct 16th, 2003, 06:43:23 AM
I really enjoyed Resident Evil and I'll definately be going to see the sequel. I also liked Tomb Raider, not as much mind you, but I had planned on going to see the second film in the theatre after having rented the first one but apparently it's crap.

Zatania Duvall
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:17:04 AM
I thought the movie had some better points than the game. Sure the licker thing was completely silly. But it fits in with the story considering that this is a prequel(sp?). Every game has a main enemy, each one is supposedly stronger. Why would a prequel have the strongest enemy as the first big boss?

Plus the game had really bad voice acting. So if you think the movie had bad acting, then it held up to tradition. lol I think this is all done on purpose to possibly make fun of some horror movies.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:34:48 AM
Well I wanted a tryant like creature for the villain (something similar to RE1) It could have been a weaker version. To me the licker didn't mutate like that and it wasn't that difficult in the game it took a couple of shot gun blasts for me to kill it.

Ceres Duvall
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:48:17 AM
lol You had an easier time killing it than I did. That stupid thing was fast.

But you're right. It didnt mutate in the game. Hopefully the sequel will hold more true to the game.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:56:42 AM
I usually only had trouble when there was more than one but I usually survived, actually the hardest thing in the game for me was the main baddie, that trencoach man in Re2, the plant creatures, and Nemesis.

Ceres Duvall
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:57:41 AM
I could never beat the end boss in any of them. I'm mainly good at roleplaying games... not action, but I still enjoyed RE.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:29:05 PM
Originally posted by Dru
I really enjoyed Resident Evil and I'll definately be going to see the sequel. I also liked Tomb Raider, not as much mind you, but I had planned on going to see the second film in the theatre after having rented the first one but apparently it's crap.

The second Tomb Raider IS absolute crap, unfortunately. I saw it in theatres hoping it'd be at least as good as the first one, which I also enjoyed. However, it was dumb and stupid and :x.

Darth007
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:29:26 PM
haha um.. yeah i um... was uh.. too scared to even finish the first disk on GC. :lol

But i watched my cousin beat the original on Playstation when i was like 8, so i think thats what started my fear of that game. |I

Ceres Duvall
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:54:18 PM
If I may make a suggestion to some RE game fans, play Fatal Frame. It's scarier. Try the Xbox version, the graphics are way better and they have new ghosts and costumes and a new ending on it. The playstation 2 version is still good. No zombies, but tons of freaky ghosts and past events. Never play it alone. O.o

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:28:17 PM
How about "never play it alone, OR with someone else in the room who will enjoy sneaking up behind you while you play" :x

Darth007
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:31:25 PM
hah yeah I know there are plenty of games that people say make RE look lame, but eh I'm still workin on my fears of RE so no thanks :D

HunterJodoKast
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:55:54 PM
No video game has ever been as intense as RE2 for the playstation and the Silent Hill series. RE1 had it moments too.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:48:07 AM
Play System Shock 2 and get back to us, ok?

Ceres Duvall
Oct 18th, 2003, 06:19:27 AM
Just got Silent Hill 3. It's weird playing it cuz I have the same name as the main character. O.o

LOL I used to scare the daylights out of my friend Ally whenever we played Fatal Frame. It was incrediably easy to. I couldn't resist.

Jhoram Hyde
Oct 18th, 2003, 03:43:21 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar

Have to check that out, never played it. More effective than RE2 and both Silent Hill games, eh? I am genuinely intrigued. :)

Mortaniuss
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:00:29 PM
Originally posted by Ceres Duvall
Just got Silent Hill 3. It's weird playing it cuz I have the same name as the main character. O.o Cheryl? :)

Ace McCloud
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:03:01 PM
well the trailer didnt do much for me. Its best for me not to read more cuz i might get all hyped up like the rest of you. =P

Peter McCoy
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:19:35 AM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar

Touche! I completely agree. SS2 blows the RE franchise out of the water. Even if it is infested with zombies. I much prefer The Many to Umbrella's creations. They mutter down the corridors - way more effective than a simple "Uuuuurghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!"

But I do enjoy RE a lot. I'm a huge fan. I likeed the first movie but agree it could be a lot better. If set in a mansion it would have rocked a lot more. As for the sequel - I wonder how much of the game they will take into account. My guess is not a lot considering the first film. But it would be nice to see some characters like Birkin (or should I say Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde :p), Ada, and Will Smith! :)

And lets not forget the guy who owns Kendo's gun shop! :)

"Whoaah! Sorry about that, babe!"

Good to know Carlos and Nicholai might be in it though - yet 'Nemesis' is my least favourite.

And I conmpletely agree with Master Yoghurts earlier post - enjoy the movie for what it is - don't analyse it to the point of hatred and annoyance. If you plan on doing that - here, take these five gems and go buy a life! :p (from the Genesis game Aladdin)

Ceres Duvall
Oct 20th, 2003, 11:37:13 AM
Originally posted by Mortaniuss
Cheryl? :)

Heather actually. *doesn't mind people knowing her real name so no need to block it* Where did Cheryl come from? O.o

Mortaniuss
Oct 20th, 2003, 11:46:29 AM
You either haven't played far enough, or didn't play the first Silent Hill. :)

Ceres Duvall
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:02:19 AM
GAH! You gave away part of it! *strangles* I played the first Silent Hill. I just have a bad memory.

Mortaniuss
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:45:49 AM
That's why it was in spoiler tags. :p Truth be told, though, it should be obvious when you first meet Claudia at the beginning of the game.