PDA

View Full Version : A post

TheHolo.Net
Oct 15th, 2003, 12:58:02 PM
Need a test thread. This is going to be a lot of work to get all set up.

Shawn
Oct 15th, 2003, 02:34:43 PM
Especially since many stylesets are missing images for things like thread ratings.

I'll see what I can contribute... erm, well, whenever I have the time. This week isn't a good time.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:32:37 PM
I'll take care of the images for the ratings. I have a plan so that they will work for all styles but only be in one place on the host. Easier to change that way.

The real work is going to be editing the styles in which the column is broken or doesn't exist at all. :x And then Forum specif CTS that mods can't change will take some doing too. But I should be able to work on it here later.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:04:02 PM
Okay, I got the Section Specfic CTs worked out so that only admins can change them and they only appear in the forums I specify through source code, but now I need to come up with a default title that will encourage users to upgrade to one of their own choosing yet not be so bad as to suck.

Sanis Prent
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:33:37 AM
Not a bad start. Keep it coming :)

(Assuming the rating interface isn't set yet, right?)

JMK
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:16:31 AM
Looking strong! :)

TheHolo.Net
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:57:47 AM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Not a bad start. Keep it coming :)

(Assuming the rating interface isn't set yet, right?) Its there (near the bottom right in a thread), but may be changed for the non text based styles depending on the images that are decided on in finality.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:26:03 PM
*peeks inside* whoa. [/neo]

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:11:12 PM
*waggles eyebrows* cool :)

Master Yoghurt
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:07:20 PM
Great start. Well done Ogre :)

Figrin D'an
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:48:04 PM
Yeah, I like what I'm seeing so in terms of features.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:47:33 AM
was wondering why I suddenly changed style selections.

Veeeeery interesting. And neat

TheHolo.Net
Oct 19th, 2003, 12:02:45 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
was wondering why I suddenly changed style selections.

Veeeeery interesting. And neat I probably accidentally changed your style sheet when I changed your usergroup, the mouse wheel and selection boxes don't get along sometimes.

A style set selection chang is't part of the upgraded account.

AmazonBabe
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:49:10 PM
Ah, so this is where it is. I tried following a link earlier and it wouldn't let me in or something and I thought maybe I'd gone crazy...

Looks good so far. :)

Pierce Tondry
Oct 20th, 2003, 10:05:03 PM
So far I like what I see, but as of yet I'm not certain it deserves my cash- the new features are nice but not 100% dead useful.

I'm thinkin' about it still. Something really uber-neat would seal the deal for me.

Silus Xilarian
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:23:26 AM
honestly, 10 bux a year is something I wouldnt miss. If more things are added, thats great, but as of now, im sold.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:51:28 AM
I am looking into adding more/other features but finding any that are free that are worth a squat is no simple task. We have all the cool hacks from the vB hack site installed already, except for one that still needs some polish (which is why it isn't installed). Its basically a personal vB member blogger script, referred to as vBJournal. But it has a little ways to go to be very good really and the install process is a bear and a half for the limited custom-ability and control it has at the moment.

I have also looked into a couple of other features that are not free, but instead cost at initial setup. They are:

Photopost (http://www.photopost.com/)
vBMS (http://www.webdesignforums.net/vbms/index.php) (vB Mail System)

Photopost is more or less an online photo gallery in which forum members can upload pictures of varying types and sizes. It takes post attachments to an exremely new level, but really has nothing to do with post attachments, its only a little similar.

vBMS is an integrated vBulletin email system created by one of the guys who has written several of the hacks we already use. I like this person's hacks a great deal and am interested in this addition, but would not want the entire registered user base to just have free access, so its a possible "paid" member type feature in the future.

These possible new features I am looking at are most likely not something that would be offered at the initial start of a "Gold" member type program, but could be implemented later on if fund income from the paid member program helps alleviate the costs of maintaining these forums.

As it is right now, I pay a lot of cash out of my own pocket to maintain these forums, and coming up with a method to make the burden on myself smaller financially would definitely make the new features much more feasible as additions to our community.

EDIT: P.S. Photopost and vBMS both include the ability to manage access through usergroups, meaning they already have the functionality needed to work with a "paid" member type of setup. One of many features missing from vBJournal.

ReaperFett
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:32:45 AM
Sounds good to me.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:24:45 AM
As I've said elsewhere, I'm on a forum that uses photopost and it's excellent.

vBMS... Hmmm. Close to soemthign I would love to have. Woud it be rude to ask what the going price is for both these features?

TheHolo.Net
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:24:32 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
As I've said elsewhere, I'm on a forum that uses photopost and it's excellent.

vBMS... Hmmm. Close to soemthign I would love to have. Woud it be rude to ask what the going price is for both these features? Photopost is priced at $199 but is on sale at the moment for $99.

vBMS is $48.