PDA

View Full Version : Midi files...

Ryan Pode
Oct 13th, 2003, 01:20:25 PM
How exactly do you make a midi file...? I've seen like eight different ways and none seem right. Anyone know?

Sanis Prent
Oct 13th, 2003, 01:28:49 PM
There are lots of little freeware midi mix programs out there. Try google.

After that, you gotta have some kind of musical talent. I don't. This is why I don't make midis.

Ryan Pode
Oct 13th, 2003, 01:40:36 PM
I can literally make a midi (I have finale), if I wanted to, but I guess what I'm saying is their a way to convert wav's to midis.

Kale
Oct 13th, 2003, 03:34:34 PM
No. Wave files are recordings; they store sound information at a set Kb/s rate. MIDIs are not recordings, but computer-generated music files in which each note is assigned a line of code that carries basic information about instrument index, pitch, velocity, length, and any events or effects that might apply. That's why MIDIs are so much more space-effecient than Waves, and why they never sound completely real. The only way I know of to make a MIDI is through some sort of MIDI interface--either a program like Finale or Ceres Composer, or with a MIDI-capable instrument.

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 13th, 2003, 03:35:44 PM
For ease of use I reccomend Noteworthy Composer, but that's just me. :)

Ryan Pode
Oct 13th, 2003, 04:08:51 PM
But is there a way to convert wavs to midis?

Hina Amaterasu
Oct 13th, 2003, 04:20:29 PM
No. It's just like Kale said. Wav's record real sound, Midi's are coded to make sounds.

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 13th, 2003, 07:26:24 PM
Yep, there is. :)

http://www.audio-ware.com/utilities-plug-ins/widi-recognition-system.htm

Hina Amaterasu
Oct 14th, 2003, 01:57:27 AM
'_' Well then. I'll just shut up now.

Kale
Oct 14th, 2003, 12:22:54 PM
Well, I stand corrected. Hmm, that looks interesting. I'll have to try that out sometime. If it could differentiate between instruments, that'd be quite impressive.

I'm fairly certain it'd still depend on what you're using it for... the simpler the music you're converting, the more likely it is to convert it accurately. But, by all means, try it out and see what you can do with it.