PDA

View Full Version : Force moves.

Rognan Dar
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:22:22 PM
For those that have played Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) there are some Force moves that they use that I was wondering if they would, or could, apply here?

Example:

Force Aura, boost physical atributes. (I thought that this sounded like what is called here, "Force Boosting.")

Force Shielding, increase defensive. (In the game it isn't really a shield...thoguh it should be.)

Force Resistance, increases your ability to withstand Force moves.

I think that they could be used here. But I would like input before I think about useing any of them.

Pierce Tondry
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:47:24 PM
Attribute boosting is something widely recognized and used.*

Force shielding tends to be taken literally (i.e. mystical shield of energy interrupts blaster bolts kinda thing) and as such is a target for slight misuse. People tend to not use it so they don't have to worry about getting tagged for god-moding, I think. Still, as long as there are limits to what the Jedi making the shield can do, the power is recognized enough to see use.*

Force Resistance tends not to be a power. Instead people opt for specific resistances (like this empath person has a resistance to mental tampering, this telekinetic is less likely to get caught with a telekinetic shove, and so on) rather than a general catch-all.*

*What I've seen. Others might think different.

Rognan Dar
Oct 11th, 2003, 12:53:54 PM
Ok. What do you think about "Force Drain"? That move could be seen as god-moding. But, would it still be able to be used, if used the right way?

Sanis Prent
Oct 11th, 2003, 01:13:12 PM
I see no problem there. These are techniques supported by multiple games.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Oct 11th, 2003, 01:37:55 PM
I balk at the force-drain move. It will be used and abused too often and probably by those who wouldnt be powerful enough to even have gained the knowledge on how to use it. It opens the door to too many arguements and accusations of 'god-moding'.

I wont acknowledge it.

Rognan Dar
Oct 11th, 2003, 01:44:47 PM
Thats what I was thinking. It just to strong of a move that no one would be able to counter or even heal themself after that. But I still want to know a little more about what people think about the shielding thing. Would it be acceptable to use, if someone knew how?

Sanis Prent
Oct 11th, 2003, 02:29:09 PM
yes

Miryan no Trunks
Oct 11th, 2003, 02:31:09 PM
To an extent. It would be frowned upon heavily for someone to go through entire battles just shielding every single blow that comes their way. Plus, unless they were around a Master's level, they would get tired out way too quickly.

The thing about force shields, or at least, as far as I see it, is that it doesn't take much effort to simply create one. To be able to hold it and have it actually take the blows, however, you have to be concentrating, and putting in pretty much the same amount of energy as there is in the oncoming attack. Not a very good move to be using extensively.

Of course, that's just my opinion of the move, and the actual recognized form here may be entirely different =^

Sanis Prent
Oct 11th, 2003, 03:08:39 PM
All things beneficial in moderation. Its a pretty universal rule, and applies to almost anything.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 11th, 2003, 05:33:06 PM
Basically a padawan won't be very good at any of these moves. And a Master could do them pretty darn well. It all depends on RPing out your knowledge and using common sense.

Evil Hobgoblin
Oct 11th, 2003, 07:41:27 PM
Hob can drain energy, both Force energy from a living being and non-Force energy from machines or generators. I place some rather specific rules on how he can use the power, and I prefer not to use it all that often because it turns into a "get out of jail free" card if you do.