PDA

View Full Version : The New Governator of California

imported_Terran Starek
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:39:28 AM
Well, there it is folks.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/10/08/recall.main/index.html

I have mixed feelings, but I had to share the news.

Discuss. (In best Linda Richman voice) :)

JMK
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:18:18 AM
I know a lot of folks think its ludacrous that Ahnold is governor of California, but IMO, in a state where everything resembles a 3 ring circus these days, how could a celebrity NOT get elected? Especially in this age of obsession with celebrity. If a star were to get elected, I don't think Schwarzennegger is the worst choice in the world. Then again, I didn't really follow the whole thing because I knew he'd win the second he decided to run.

imported_Terran Starek
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:27:31 AM
Yeah, it's about name recognition. In the founding days of our country, when communication was poor, candidates were nominated and elected based primarily off of reputation. Why do you think George Washington was our first president? He was a terrible politician and a mediocre thinker. But, he was one heck of a general and everyone and their dog knew that "George lead our troops to victory against the British." Name recognition.

Sadly, despite supremely improved communications, much of our population still relies on name recognition. That's why a candidate will put all of his money and effort into putting his name on everything and everywhere possible. Sure, demographic campaigning and having a stable platform count. However, if I'm average Joe Voter and I don't keep up with politics much (minus the commercials I see on TV or the one time I read the political article in the newspaper) whosever name I see the most of my party's affiliation is the one I will select.

I agree with you fully, JMK. :) I'm not sure how I feel about Arnold, though. I'll have to see his 'many policies' in action.

Salem Ave
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:28:21 AM
I hope he becomes President :D

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2003, 10:14:18 AM
I can't wait until he travels back in time to stop Enron and other energy companies from bilking the state!

Charley
Oct 8th, 2003, 10:21:07 AM
I don't get why people balk at having an actor in political office. Its just like any other profession. At least Arnold has had political experience in the past, working with Bush Sr. in educational programs. It isn't much, but its more than half the gubernatorial candidates facing him could claim. Instead of doing the usual amount of Hollywood political bitching, he actually put himself on the line, and his money, and decided to try to make a change.

You don't see Barbara Streisand doing anything like that, do you?

I'd have a lot more respect for these bitching babies if they decided to cowboy up in an election and cash the checks their mouths are writing.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Oct 8th, 2003, 10:57:31 AM
Sorry, Salem...Ahnold will never become the Pres :\

Only a person born on American soil can do so and he was born in Austria, if I remember correctly.

JMK
Oct 8th, 2003, 10:59:30 AM
I still don't know what 'cowboy up' means. Is it just like 'man up' or 'step up'? Or does it mean 'git out yer six-shooter and cornhole some drunks'? Thanks for nothing Kevin Millar and friends. :lol

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:02:59 AM
Originally posted by Terran Starek
Yeah, it's about name recognition. In the founding days of our country, when communication was poor, candidates were nominated and elected based primarily off of reputation. Why do you think George Washington was our first president? He was a terrible politician and a mediocre thinker. But, he was one heck of a general and everyone and their dog knew that "George lead our troops to victory against the British." Name recognition.

Interesting you're so quick to criticize Washington. I had a class on the Presidency as an institution in college, and my prfessor ranked him very highly in the pecking order of former men to hold the office.

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:08:48 AM
Originally posted by JMK
I still don't know what 'cowboy up' means. Is it just like 'man up' or 'step up'? Or does it mean 'git out yer six-shooter and cornhole some drunks'? Thanks for nothing Kevin Millar and friends. :lol

:lol :lol :lol

Dude, I think you shoulda posted this in the MLB thread. I too am perplexed as to how that phrase has caught on though. ;)

Charley
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:09:25 AM
Originally posted by JMK

I'm assuming its like "ante up" but I have no idea. It sounds cool though.

ReaperFett
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:11:33 AM
Originally posted by Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sorry, Salem...Ahnold will never become the Pres :\

Only a person born on American soil can do so and he was born in Austria, if I remember correctly.
Presently.

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:15:27 AM
I highly doubt they're gonna pass a constitutional amendment to change that anytime soon Reaper.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:20:03 AM
LOL @ JMK!! :lol

ReaperFett
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:23:58 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/2003/oct/10042003/utah/98550.asp

They might :)

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:26:53 AM
He might bring it up at Congress(I've hear about it too), but getting one to pass is hard as hell. You need a supermajority(2/3) of the House and Senate, plus three fourths of states to ratify it.

In other words, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Figrin D'an
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:31:31 AM
It was mentioned last night that, because Arnold can't become president, he won't have a lot of the political aspirations that previous California governors have had, ie. using the governorship as a stepping-stone to launch a presidential campaign. In the long run, that may be better for California... having someone who can focus on the state, rather than their next step up the poltical ladder.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:39:40 AM
I agree with Figrin. Also, I doubt it'll change that Arnold was born in Austria... ;)

And 'cowboy up' means to 'step up' or 'ante up' I think. I'd agree with those definitions. :p Basically, put your actions where your big mouth is, greenhorn! Cowboy up, or git off that horse.

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:41:08 AM
If he's a pretty successful Governor, I could see him launching a Senate run in a few cycles.

ReaperFett
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:47:14 AM
How did Gary Coleman do?

Figrin D'an
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:35:25 PM
Coleman got between 3,000 and 4,000 votes I believe. They briefly showed some results for the other well-known candidates on CNN last night.

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:48:08 PM
:lol JMK

I like that he's rather progressive on social issues. I mean, if you're going to engage in group sex and do that much fondling you'd have to be! :)

Hopefully the economy in Cali will improve over the next few years. What's good for that coast is good for the rest of the country.

Darth Viscera
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:19:50 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
It was mentioned last night that, because Arnold can't become president, he won't have a lot of the political aspirations that previous California governors have had, ie. using the governorship as a stepping-stone to launch a presidential campaign.

You mean, Gray Davis was planning to run for President?

Ew. Just the notion makes me want to plotz. From the last week's shameful performance, it seems like that awful man only got to be governor by spreading around more dirt about his fellow candidates than they did about him. If he were president, I think the people would vote to execute him.

I mean really, just the sight of that guy ticks me off. Every time he showed up, he was giving some snide, sarcastic remark and smiling that smile that evil women give you when they're having an argument with you and want to show you how much they want to cut off your johnson.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:24:31 PM
Did anyone see this one? :lol

http://www.miniclip.com/arnie.htm

Darth Viscera
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:26:49 PM
w00, that was awesome!

Figrin D'an
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:30:10 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera

No, not necessarily. But, look at the history of Cali governors making presidential bids or been on presidential tickets. There have been many of them.

Ryan Pode
Oct 8th, 2003, 05:05:54 PM
Originally posted by Terran Starek
He was a terrible politician and a mediocre thinker. But, he was one heck of a general and everyone and their dog knew that "George lead our troops to victory against the British."

No. Washington was a poor General. He ws only a Colonel in the militia because while he was good, he was not great. He generally lost in pitched battles, i.e Brandywine. He got lucky a few times, notably at Delaware and Princeton, but overall he was not that brilliant a General.

He was made Commander in Chief because he was very respectful and charasmatic in a sense. Because he would make a good political leader and because he kind of represented the interests of Southern Plantation owners but thats besidses the fact!

Now that I have that off my chest, go on with the topic.

JediBoricua
Oct 8th, 2003, 05:25:37 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera

Ew. Just the notion makes me want to plotz. From the last week's shameful performance, it seems like that awful man only got to be governor by spreading around more dirt about his fellow candidates than they did about him.

I'm not a californian, but I think that's exactly what he did the other two times he won.

ReaperFett
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:20:28 PM
Stallone: “Hold it! The Schwarzenegger Library?”
Bullock: “Yes, the Schwarzenegger Presidential Library. Wasn’t he an actor?”
Stallone: “Stop! He was President?”
Bullock: “Yes. Even though he was not born in this country, his popularity at the time caused the 61st Amendment.”

:)

Ryan Pode
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:22:52 PM
28th. :p

ReaperFett
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:25:42 PM
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know you made Demolition Man ;)

Ryan Pode
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:26:29 PM
By the time Demolition Man came around they probably abolished the consitution just like they abolished toliet paper.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:53:19 PM
And the rights of Freedom of the Press are covered in the First Seashell!

AmazonBabe
Oct 9th, 2003, 01:03:04 PM
It was mentioned last night that, because Arnold can't become president, he won't have a lot of the political aspirations that previous California governors have had, ie. using the governorship as a stepping-stone to launch a presidential campaign. In the long run, that may be better for California... having someone who can focus on the state, rather than their next step up the poltical ladder.

So very true!

All I gotta say is he better bring that car registeration tax back down to normal.

(<-- Hasn't paid car registeration tax yet... I'm waiting to see what happens between now and when it's due (11/8) ^_^; )

Commander Zemil Vymes
Oct 9th, 2003, 06:01:44 PM
Ugh. If I'd known that this is only the stepping stone to making our world like the world from Demolition Man, I would have assassinated him myself.

That movie....hate++

ReaperFett
Oct 9th, 2003, 07:00:35 PM
You'd hate a world where violence is all but eliminated?

Darth Viscera
Oct 9th, 2003, 07:45:05 PM
I, for one, would hate a world where Taco Bell can't sell me 4 Taco Supremes, I get fined for cussing, I can't eat a cheeseburger without it being made out of rat meat, and sex lacks all the good parts. I don't care what technology you've developed, if you don't have to at least wash your hands after sex, then you're not doing it right!

The real future better be filled with lots and lots of naked women, flying cars, raw onions on everything, plenty of money, and arabs who don't have the ability to spontaneously combust written into their DNA.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:44:22 AM
Taco Bell sucks.

I like to curse.

I like my violence.

I like condiments.

I don't even want to think of the application of seashells.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:20:38 AM
I thought that movie was great. :D:thumbup

;)

Anyway you just hijacked the Governator's thread. :mad :mneh

Darth Viscera
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:58:45 AM
Originally posted by Commander Zemil Vymes
Taco Bell sucks.

:eek
you just blew my mind

ADarksideJedi
Oct 30th, 2003, 08:40:34 PM
The only promblem i Have with the new Govner is that is more Dem then Republian!I mean he is for gays abortion and all that horrible stuff so why on earth is he for the Rebelions? Anyway I thought I would bring that up!
Bye see u around!JM:crack

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 31st, 2003, 01:40:07 AM
i just discovered Taco Bell. Hey, not bad for junk food, but that dont say much. I prefer a real Taco, with fresh meat, sauce, cheese and sour cream. And a dash of tabaso :D

Darth Viscera
Oct 31st, 2003, 12:01:39 PM
It's hard to make a taco that matches the taco supreme at taco bell. I've been trying since 1989. Here's the best way I've found to do it, and this is in order of the placement of ingredients in the taco, from bottom to top:

Ground Beef
Sour Cream
Lettuce
Hot Sauce
Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 31st, 2003, 01:55:05 PM
sorry to say this, but i just dont follow politics - no real interest in all actuality. ill let taylor do that for me. now, tacos on the other hand... i love the little tacos. i love them gooooood

and on a second note, "cowboy up" means to toughen up, quit crying, and generally to stop being a wussy :D

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 31st, 2003, 01:56:12 PM
I've never had a taco in my life. I feel as though I'm missing out. Recommend a good starter Taco for beginners? :D

Sai
Oct 31st, 2003, 02:31:25 PM
You've never had a taco o_0

*blinks*

*blinks again*

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 7th, 2003, 08:23:26 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Interesting you're so quick to criticize Washington. I had a class on the Presidency as an institution in college, and my prfessor ranked him very highly in the pecking order of former men to hold the office.

I think that's one thing about Washington that goes unnoticed--he did define the presidency. The founders threw the position into his lap and said "take it" and he gave it a home.

I wasn't attempting to criticize him, really, as much as use him as a target to make the point about name recognition. I've got nothing against GW, but most accounts detail him as being less headstrong and more passive to rely on his cabinet (namely Hamilton) as opposed to exerting his position independently.

He had an interesting presidency, nonetheless. :)