PDA

View Full Version : Looking for...

Chesta
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:16:18 PM
A FREE, not alot of pop-ups, almost like VBulletien, message board to start and RPG idea of mine.

Anyone know of any good ones? (and don't say Ezboard)

Commander Zemil Vymes
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:17:42 PM
I'd try searching for something more attainable, like El Dorado, the Holy Grail, or Atlantis.

Zasz Grimm
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:26:13 PM
http://phpbb.com/ - If you know PHP and have your own webspace to host it.

Crystal
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:23:03 AM
All the free message boards I've seen that don't require a php webhost were just guest book-looking boards.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:57:36 AM
Originally posted by Chesta
A FREE, not alot of pop-ups, almost like VBulletien, message board to start and RPG idea of mine.

Anyone know of any good ones? (and don't say Ezboard)

Who would say Exfrell here? We hate them in this place.

Basically, your asking too much these days. The reason this place is popup free is that people here pay for the server and service, plus maintain out of their own pockets - I very much doubt that a free service you could get hold of woudl be any better than Exfrell now.

vB is not a service like exfrell anyway - it is a software package that needs a host and someone to run it.

Summary - you want good? You put the money down.

Silus Xilarian
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:57:17 AM
theres always a trade off with free space. It IS possible to find free webspace without pop ups, even some with a decent amount of space, and enough bandwidth to actually run a small time site off of. From my own personal experience though, you WONT find any webspace that allows PHP, CGI, or any of that great stuff, pop ups or not. I think geocities allows PHP (they did at one time, but Ive long since stopped caring) but you didnt get enough bandwidth to run anything.

I remember Angelfire allowed some CGI in the past, but it was in the same boat with Geocities as far as space and bandwidth, and the only scripts you could use were ones they made for you.

So basically, what Marcus said, get ready to shell out a few bux.

Chesta
Oct 11th, 2003, 10:14:27 AM
Crud...The reason I'm looking for a free one is due to the fact that I don't have a job and even IF I did have one all the money would be going into my bank account for college.

:\

This sucks, Maybe I'll use Ezfrell anyways, since I'm clueless about this Php or whatever it's called.