PDA

View Full Version : Gaming PCs

Park Kraken
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:19:15 PM
What is a realtivly cheap computer that you could upgrade to the point that it has 512 MB RAM, a good Video card, good sound card, etc. Stuff for gaming......

Morgan Evanar
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:02:41 PM
Buy a new computer.

www.mwave.com will build you one from the parts of your choice.

Alienware, Falcon NW and the other "gaming" PC manufacturuers are overpriced gimmicks.

If you don't want to go with mwave, get a Dell with an AGP card. Upgrade the RAM and vidcard, bang. You're good.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:17:37 PM
Yes, I've found that just having a computer built to what you want is the easiest way to do it. And I've always known that Alienware was a ripoff. When I got my Dell, it had the exact same specs as one of their higher models, for half the price, and I got a better monitor.

Dell has some nice setups, but, they aren't the best you can get, of course. Still, I've only had one problem with mine in two years, so, I'll attest to their reliability.

And, go for the gig of RAM if you can swing a deal on it. Just because you can...

Charley
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:34:44 PM
Gig of ram will take you far.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 8th, 2003, 01:33:32 AM
Yes, I've only got 256, and it's stupid RAMBUS crap. Dang it, do you know how hard that stuff is to find on sale? Grr, that's my only qualm with my computer is the stupid RAM they used at the time.

Park Kraken
Oct 10th, 2003, 03:19:22 PM
Okay, what about processors and CD-ROM Drive speeds? What I have is a AMD Athlon Processor, and 48x24x48x CD-ROM Drive. Would those suffice for playing the newest games, or should I upgrade those as well?

Shawn
Oct 10th, 2003, 03:27:51 PM
Your CD-ROM is fine for playing games. You may want to consider upgrading to a DVD-ROM in the future, as some games may start coming out on DVD very soon.

I'd have to know how fast your processor is to make a judgement. If you're above 1ghz, you should be able to play most games. But I'd reccomend something in the 2ghz range.

Darth Viscera
Oct 10th, 2003, 04:25:56 PM
They're finally going to start releasing games on DVD? It only took them what, 6 years?