PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Half Life II will be delayed...

Figrin D'an
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:49:41 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/07/technology/vivendi_code.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

It doesn't really affect me, since I'm not big into FPS, but I'm sure a lot of fans of the series will be pretty ticked off.

Darth Vader
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:43:48 PM
They are.

But then again, HL2 always took a backseat to MP2 for me, so :D I'm fine

Master Yoghurt
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:43:03 PM
Ugh, thats a big delay

ReaperFett
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:45:23 PM
Valve? A big delay? SURELY NOT????

Jeez, how inefficient is this company? Since Half Life, what have they actually done?

Master Yoghurt
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:49:37 PM
Errr.. the delay is about the source code which was stolen, not because of coding inefficency. Open source code allows for multiplayer cheats, and would ruin the game.

ReaperFett
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:52:24 PM
I mean inefficient as in it will now be something like 4 years since they last did a game, the original (The add ons were done by outsiders).

Master Yoghurt
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:59:50 PM
Ok, I see what you mean now.

Well, thats true, can't argue with that. On the other hand, its hard to brush aside the fact, they made one of the most critical acclaimed games ever and have left the entire computer entertainment press and the gaming community flabbergasted over the new 3D engine. It will be sure to set a new standard. I personally favor quality before quantity :)

ReaperFett
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:07:04 PM
Technically they have Quantity, they just keep delaying em ;)

Team Fortress 2 must be close to Duke Nukem Forever for delays :)

Master Yoghurt
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:23:34 PM
Well as far as Im concerned, they can delay it as much as they like if that ensures a high quality end product. I am one of those who don't like the trend of releasing games before they are finished.

ReaperFett
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:34:51 PM
Yeah you like games which take their time, like Daikatana ;)

Master Yoghurt
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:36:06 PM
I never played Daikatana, and don't plan to :p

ReaperFett
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:39:21 PM
Wise :)

Pierce Tondry
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:01:13 AM
Heartless code-thieving bastards. *Sob.*

Master Yoghurt
Oct 8th, 2003, 01:15:31 PM
Maybe there is hope

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11984

Darth Viscera
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:24:53 PM
I never could figure out how to play Half-Life (other than the first level), or how to set up Counterstrike.

Sean Piett
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:06:35 PM
Apparently the source code's been leaked, and so has a working demo.

txa1265
Oct 9th, 2003, 05:17:46 AM
It leaves me bemused how so many people I have seen coming out venting against the code-stealers (on other forums) are the same people who had no problem downloading the Jedi Academy leaked beta, or were mysteriously playing Halo pre-9/30 ...

It is all wrong ... I'm not a big Half-Life fan (I am a FPS fan, though), but I really feel for Valve on this. It is just a shame.

Mike

Darth Viscera
Oct 9th, 2003, 05:32:58 AM
jedi academy beta leak didn't result in a 4 month delay

txa1265
Oct 9th, 2003, 06:12:05 AM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
jedi academy beta leak didn't result in a 4 month delay So I guess the pirates get the code, and the honest people get punished ... as usual.

Perhaps some of the people who download stuff 'as a demo' will think twice before stealing their next software or music ... yeah, sure, like I believe that ...

Mike

Master Yoghurt
Oct 9th, 2003, 11:13:01 AM
Another update:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12017

Darth007
Oct 9th, 2003, 12:34:41 PM
Condition Zero, using the HL1 engine, had just gone gold and in the same day its source has been leaked too, oh well, it buys me time to save up for a new graphics card :D

Darth Viscera
Oct 9th, 2003, 02:26:23 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
So I guess the pirates get the code, and the honest people get punished ... as usual.

Yeah well, companies are a-holes when it comes to making sure no one gets it without paying, what can i tell ya. The werewolves attack, so the French round up the townspeople and hold them hostage.

txa1265
Oct 9th, 2003, 02:40:26 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
Yeah well, companies are a-holes when it comes to making sure no one gets it without paying, what can i tell ya. The werewolves attack, so the French round up the townspeople and hold them hostage. Damn I hate that - just because these companies have to pay employees, taxes, facilities, advertising, promotions, licensing fees, and hope to make a small profit so their stock will go up and they'll have a few bucks to retire on ... just because of that, they have the nerve to expect people to pay to buy their product?!?! Unbelieveable ...

:rolleyes

Mike

Darth Viscera
Oct 9th, 2003, 05:16:05 PM
You seem to have accidently completely ignored my analogy. Do you believe it's acceptable for companies to punish their paying customers out of spite because of the acts of a few hackers?

Commander Zemil Vymes
Oct 9th, 2003, 05:22:16 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
Damn I hate that - just because these companies have to pay employees, taxes, facilities, advertising, promotions, licensing fees, and hope to make a small profit so their stock will go up and they'll have a few bucks to retire on ... just because of that, they have the nerve to expect people to pay to buy their product?!?! Unbelieveable ...

:rolleyes

Mike

Maybe these same companies can learn to make a quality, finished product that doesn't require seven patches before its playable. That would work rather than rushing a product to completion when its halfway retarded (Galaxies, I'm talking to you)

Mike

Darth Viscera
Oct 9th, 2003, 06:23:21 PM
Originally posted by Commander Zemil Vymes
Maybe these same companies can learn to make a quality, finished product that doesn't require seven patches before its playable. That would work rather than rushing a product to completion when its halfway retarded (Galaxies, I'm talking to you)

Mike

I agree entirely. I don't care how frequently we have to deal with it, I will never accept (and learn to expect) mediocrity and incompetence. Those incompetent devs in SWG fail to realize that there are more than 300,000 people who are trying very hard to actually enjoy paying $15/month for the game because it's star wars, but the effort is failing. The devs aren't making it easy.