View Full Version : Israel Attacks Syria

Jedieb
Oct 6th, 2003, 07:22:33 AM
CNN To Go

SEARCH
Web CNN.comSearch

Syria seeks condemnation of Israeli airstrike

Israel's U.N. envoy defends 'measured defensive operation'

Monday, October 6, 2003 Posted: 7:01 AM EDT (1101 GMT)

Israeli ambassador Dan Gillerman, left, answered charges from Syrian ambassador Fayssal Mekdad at an emergency session of the Security Council Sunday.

UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- Syria called Sunday for the U.N. Security Council to condemn Israel's airstrike against what the Israelis called a terrorist training camp inside Syrian territory. The attack came hours after a terrorist suicide bomber killed 19 people in Haifa, Israel.

Syria, which holds a rotating seat on the council, requested a special session and asked the council to strongly condemn the attack, said its U.N. ambassador, Fayssal Mekdad.

There was no vote in the Security Council Sunday. No further action on the matter was scheduled, a U.N. spokesman said, as Security Council members await responses from their respective capitals.

Israel's U.N. ambassador, Dan Gillerman, called the airstrike a "measured defensive operation" aimed at a training camp used by Islamic Jihad, a Palestinian militant group that the U.S. State Department designates a terrorist organization.

Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing Saturday at a popular restaurant owned by Jews and Arabs in Haifa that also wounded more than 50 people. (Full story)

The Syrian Foreign Ministry insisted the Israeli target, near Damascus, was a civilian site, but did not elaborate. There were no reports of casualties.

Mekdad called the air raid an act of "unwarranted aggression" that violated the U.N. Charter and the 1974 disengagement agreement that followed the 1973 Yom Kippur War. (Full story)

He said Syria has exercised "maximum self-restraint," but he accused Israel of trying "to export its current domestic crisis to the entire region."

"Syria is not incapable of establishing a resistance and deterrent balance that would force Israel to reconsider its calculations," Mekdad said. "We believe that Israel should desist from committing further attacks, and the international community should shoulder its responsibility in preventing Israel."

Syria proposed a draft resolution to that effect, which was backed by other Arab countries.

Gillerman said Israel acted in accordance with Article 51 of the U.N. Charter, which allows nations the right to self-defense. Syria has "put itself in the dock" by calling for Sunday's meeting, he said.

"There are few better exhibits of state sponsorship for terrorism than the one provided by the Syrian regime," he said.

"Syria would do well to take a hard look at the mirror and count itself fortunate that it has not yet, for unfortunate reasons, been the subject of concerted international action as part of the global campaign against terrorism," Gillerman said. "Not yet."

The United States holds the council's rotating presidency and invited Israel to sit at the table. After his speech, Gillerman left the Security Council for the Yom Kippur holiday.

Most on council denounce both actions

The other 14 members of the Security Council were near unanimous in denouncing both the Haifa bombing and the Israeli airstrike.

The lone exception was the United States, whose ambassador, John Negroponte, called on both sides to avoid heightening tensions.

The United States "believes Syria is on the wrong side of the war on terrorism," Negroponte said. "We have been clear of the need for Syria to cease harboring terrorist groups."

Negroponte said he and other U.S. officials have repeatedly made clear to Syria that its support of terrorist groups is "unacceptable and intolerable."

"We believe it is in Syria's interest and in the broader interest of Middle East peace for Syria to stop harboring and supporting the groups that perpetrate terrorist acts such as the one that occurred in Haifa yesterday," he said.

Although he did not mention Syria by name, U.K. Ambassador Emyr Jones Parry chided countries that permit terrorist groups to attack Israel.

"There is a heavy responsibility ... on all those who are in a position to act against terrorism to do so," Parry said. "Allowing impunity to those committed to using terror as a political instrument serves only to undermine peace and to prevent progress in the Middle East peace process."

As for Israel, Parry called the airstrike "unacceptable" and said it was an escalation of violence.

"Israel should not allow its justified anger at continuing terrorism to lead to actions which undermine both the peace process and, we believe, Israel's own interests."

President Bush telephoned Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon on Sunday to offer U.S. condolences on the Haifa suicide bombing and to discuss Israel's strike on Syria, a Bush administration official said. (Full story)

Palestinian chief negotiator Saeb Erakat told CNN that he called the White House to ask the Bush administration to help defuse the latest violence.

Meanwhile, Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat named Prime Minister-designate Ahmed Qorei as prime minister and temporary leader Sunday of an emergency Cabinet, Qorei said.

The eight-member Cabinet will stay in place for one month, when a permanent one is to be named, Qorei said. (Full story)
The Web __ CNN.com __ _Search

Holy crap. First time in 30 years Israel has launched an attack on Syrian soil I believe. That region can keep you up at night.

Ryan Pode
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:30:02 AM
Asking Bush probably isn't the smart thing to do... seeing how Israel did just about the same thing Bush did after 9/11.

Preacher Blake
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:11:11 AM
Yay, more fire to the powderkeg.

On one hand, there's annihilating terrorists, which is more or less a good thing. On the other hand, there's sabotaging a frail peace accord. Meh, seems a pyrrhic victory to me. The same old rock & a hard place as always.

Yes, Israel has acted without thinking again, but then again, how many times has Syria been asked to fix this crap?

They're both a gaggle of morons.

JediBoricua
Oct 6th, 2003, 10:39:16 AM
Morons with big guns...well okay only Israel has the big guns.

Not to sound alarmist or anything, but I don't like this one bit.

Preacher Blake
Oct 6th, 2003, 10:51:38 AM
(shrug)

They'll just keep killing each other in small-scale skirmishes. Syria isn't dumb enough to go "OMG WRAR ATTACK", nor for that matter is Israel. I doubt you'll see a full-scale regional conflict like you saw in the 60's and 70's. Just perpetual suicide bombings and airstrikes.

I'm kinda losing hope that a solution can even be reached there.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 6th, 2003, 10:52:52 AM
I'm fairly certain it'll all be smoothed over eventually.

Preacher Blake
Oct 6th, 2003, 10:56:03 AM
Armageddon aside, no it won't

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:08:52 AM
Well maybe if the israels smartned up and got rid of that moron Sharon, I wish him and arfat would get on a plane and it went crashing in the ocean that solve half the problem over ther.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:18:25 AM
:lol Carr you're so politically correct. ;)

Diego Van Derveld
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:29:56 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Well maybe if the israels smartned up and got rid of that moron Sharon, I wish him and arfat would get on a plane and it went crashing in the ocean that solve half the problem over ther.

Agreed. Then again, the norm is for leaders like that. Leaders like Rabin are the exception, and not the rule. There will be plenty more idiots like Sharon and Arafat before we'll see somebody like Rabin again, IMO.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:33:06 AM
Well we could get somebody better but who knows. I am not very optomistic about the region I tell you that.

Jedieb
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:10:46 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I'm fairly certain it'll all be smoothed over eventually.

When I read this my initial response was, "Yeah, a nice smooth sheet of glass courtesy of a few nukes." I'm dreading that one of these days the suicide bomber will have some kind of nuke in the backseat of his van.

I honestly see no solution in sight. Everytime I try to work out some possible solution in my head I come across a stumbling block. Better minds than ours have been trying to find a solution to this region's problems for decades and they've all failed. For example, the obvious solution may seem to be for Israel to give up enough territory so the Palestinians can have their own state. But just how much territoty should Israel give up? Even if they do give up enough to satisfy some Palestinians, some simply won't be satisfied. What happens if they keep strapping bombs to themselves? What will be the Israili response to continued attacks? And why should Israel believe that any kind of land concession will satisfy those intent on its destruction?

They're in a vicious circle right now. One that we've only gotten a taste of. As bad as 9/11 was, it was still one event. Can you imagine monthly, sometimes weekly terroist attacks on US soil? I don't care what administration were in office, our response wouldn't be all that different from the current ones the Israelis are employing.

It's been 3 years now of almost non stop violence. Does anyone see this stopping anytime soon? I sure as hell don't.

Dutchy
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:47:36 PM
Today Israel attacked Libanon too.

Darth Viscera
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:18:11 PM
Where'd you hear that?

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:49:30 PM
Yeah there was some border shooting, nothing earthshattering I don't think.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:47:14 AM
Originally posted by Preacher Blake
Armageddon aside, no it won't

Almost - This is a problem only God can solve. Becuase it's goign to take a miricle to get the middle east at peace for anything longer than a week. So, I have to agree - it's going to keep going until The End and this is probably just a leadup until the real battle at armageddon occurs.

If you believe in that anyway. If you dont, I guess you could say the Middle East will one day end up in a nuclear war instead. Either way, neither side's ever goign to give up until the other no longer exists.

Darth Viscera
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:55:54 AM
Or an exodus. I still say that the Jews are welcome in Iowa, since the middle east is apparently full. The U.S. is full of free, productive land with complementary tornados, and we have slightly fewer maniacs who are willing to strap bombs to their waists and chant witty slogans such as "Where's the beef" and "Allahu Ackbar".

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:45:02 AM
LOL well I don't think there will be peace there in the short term. 20 years from now. No clue I can't predict the future.