PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!

JMK
Oct 5th, 2003, 09:15:13 AM
Did you guys hear (especially Tom Jackson) drop hammer on Limbaugh? I really wasn't expecting them to go this in-depth on the whole issue, just a quick "we've been under pressure this week, tough week, now back to football". But not this. They crucified him, mostly Berman and Jackson. More power to them if you ask me.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:12:09 AM
LOL I missed that but that was great :) To me it shows Limbaugh was pressured to leave I am wondering if Berman and Jackson even liked the idea of adding him (I am guessing not).

JMK
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:27:46 AM
No, I got the impression they never wanted him there at all. I'll paraphrase what Tom Jackson said: "Limbaugh was hired for what he was known for, making controvery...he was never going to be a good fit for Sunday Countdown."

Something to that effect, Jackson was really emotional during his whole tirade too.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:50:02 AM
Yeah Jackson seems like that type, actually he did take some shots against Limbaugh before now as I remember so it shows that he had problems with him before now.

Preacher Blake
Oct 5th, 2003, 06:46:30 PM
Hey, awesome! Swell! Why is this not in the Limbaugh thread?

JMK
Oct 5th, 2003, 07:19:41 PM
I had started a separate one dedicated to today's statements.

Figrin D'an
Oct 5th, 2003, 07:55:02 PM
It's all about the same subject... Rush's remarks and the reaction thereto. I don't see why it can't be contained to one thread.

But, whatever...

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2003, 09:24:49 PM
At one point Jackson said something along the lines of;
"It was not (our or my) idea to hire Rush Limbaugh"

I think Jackson was very displeased with Rush's hire, but like a true professional he gave him the benefit of the doubt. I never sensed any animosity between any of the countdown crew and Rush whenever I checked in on the show. One of the moving moments of Jackson's statement was when he shared a phone call that a player had with him. The player told him;
"My son asked me this week if it's allright for him to play quarterback."
Jackson was visibly moved when he shared that. It almost looked to me as if he might lose his composure and get choked up. I also thought their praise of McNab was heartfelt. McNab had already been scheduled to do a fluff piece with Kenny Maine that week. He honored his committment and did the piece. He could have easily lost his temper and told ESPN to go stuff itself, but he was a true professional. Unlike the man who insulted him.

JMK
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:06:54 PM
I decided to start the new thread because the last one was getting a little chippy and had more to do with racism itself than what the other members of NFL countdown thought. I could have included it in the thread, but I wanted to kinda 'start fresh'. I don't think its a big deal...

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2003, 11:17:34 PM
Yeah I understand it might be best to end the old one that one had some bad moments.

Jedieb
Oct 10th, 2003, 08:17:21 PM
Well, this certainly fits into this "ouch" thread:

"You know I have always tried to be honest with you and open about my life. So I need to tell you today that part of what you have heard and read is correct. I am addicted to prescription pain medication.
I first started taking prescription painkillers some years ago when my doctor prescribed them to treat post surgical pain following spinal surgery. Unfortunately, the surgery was unsuccessful and I continued to have severe pain in my lower back and also in my neck due to herniated discs. I am still experiencing that pain. Rather than opt for additional surgery for these conditions, I chose to treat the pain with prescribed medication. This medication turned out to be highly addictive.

Over the past several years I have tried to break my dependence on pain pills and, in fact, twice checked myself into medical facilities in an attempt to do so. I have recently agreed with my physician about the next steps.

Immediately following this broadcast, I am checking myself into a treatment center for the next 30 days to once and for all break the hold this highly addictive medication has on me. The show will continue during this time, of course, with an array of guest hosts you have come to know and respect.

I am not making any excuses. You know, over the years athletes and celebrities have emerged from treatment centers to great fanfare and praise for conquering great demons.

They are said to be great role models and examples for others. Well, I am no role model. I refuse to let anyone think I am doing something great here, when there are people you never hear about, who face long odds and never resort to such escapes.

They are the role models. I am no victim and do not portray myself as such. I take full responsibility for my problem.

At the present time, the authorities are conducting an investigation, and I have been asked to limit my public comments until this investigation is complete. So I will only say that the stories you have read and heard contain inaccuracies and distortions, which I will clear up when I am free to speak about them.

I deeply appreciate all your support over this last tumultuous week. It has sustained me. I ask now for your prayers. I look forward to resuming our excursion into broadcast excellence together."

Rush Limbaugh, drug addict. Well, my month just couldn't get better. :mischief

Hopefully, Rush will check into rehab and find himself surrounded by people who have his same sense of compassion and understanding. People who go out of their way to understand those with weaknesses and character flaws. Wait a minute, this is Rush we're talking about. He needs the exact polar opposite of himself to get through this.

Jedieb
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:01:32 PM
Let’s call this 10 year old girl Bennifer!

The most important thing you need to remember is that you should never do drugs. Drugs turn your lungs black. They can also make you go crazy if you try to quit. They can even kill you. I’d rather draw, run, play, sing, or play music. Even go to the fair.

My Mom does drugs. I tried to get her to stop but she wouldn’t. If she can’t stop that means she’s hooked on it. If does try to stop she will get mad. That is why I don’t do drugs.

It’s an eerie coincidence that one of my students wrote this little gem today. The ‘drug free Radio Rush’ would have wanted this woman in jail. Especially when you look at the fact that she’s white. The anti-drug Rush would have wanted her to be an example to everyone. But to be honest, is this girl better off with her mother in jail or in some treatment program? But guys like Rush aren’t big on treatment programs. Until THEY need one that is. When that time comes, then self reliance comes in the form of the Betty Ford Clinic.

I don’t really think Rush or this girl’s Mom belong in prison. What good would that do? Sure, some beefy inmate would get the chubby love toy of his dreams for 3-5 years, but how does that help Rush or society? Granted, late night shows would get a slew of sodomy jokes out of Rush’s incarceration, but would it really help anyone? If this girl’s Mom gets sent up is she going to be that better off? I’m telling you, she’s not going to magically end up in a pristine foster home. More than likely she’s going back home to the step dad of the hour or the Grandmother that raised the drug addict mother in the first place. What the girl needs is her mother cleaned up.

The sad part is, that one of our addicts probably will end up in jail. I’m fairly certain it won’t be the one with the 9 figure net worth. That brings us to another one of the many ironies of this sad story. Rush is a big proponent of self reliance and moral righteousness. Anyone can pull themselves out of the gutter and become a big ‘success,’ just like Rush did. People like Rush don’t have much compassion or understanding for poor, uneducated, drug addicts. But damn, they’ve got a ton of crap going on in their lives that played a part in them becoming addicts. What drove Rush to become an addict? His Palm Beach mansion wasn’t quite big enough? His last radio contract didn’t top $300M so he just had to turn to pain killers to cope with the indignity of only making around $295,000,000?

If Rush could become an addict with everything he had going for him then he should realize it can happen to anyone. We’ll see if he keeps slapping around people who don’t have everything fall their way in the years to come.

Jedieb
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:29:42 PM
In case anyone still wants to read what the evil people at Newsweek have done to the drug addict.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/newsweek/promo/nw_cover.asp

And for Letterman fans:
Top Ten Items On Rush Limbaugh's To-Do List

10. Apologize for racist remarks by explaining he was high on illegal painkillers

9. Pat down friends and family to see who's wearing a wire

8. Announce his candidacy for governor of California

7. End pill addiction -- get back to sandwich addiction

6. Search desperately for some way to blame the Clintons

5. Make moves on soon-to-be-single Halle Berry

4. Tell Donovan McNabb derogatory remarks were part of new season of "'d"

3. Brunch with Robert Downey Jr.

2. Dinner with Trent Lott

1. Check job listings for pompous blowhard

Damn, apparently Dave didn't get the memo that it's inappropriate to make fun of poor ol' Rush. And look, #7 makes fun of his weight! LETTERMAN STOP THE INSANITY!!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 15th, 2003, 09:47:00 PM
LOL Letterman is hilarious.

JMK
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:44:49 AM
Yes he is. :lol

Jedieb
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:09:21 AM
Here's a link to some political cartoons that have been raking Rush over the coals. A couple of warnings; some of the cartoons portray Rush in a less than svelte fashion and it's one cartoon after another, after another, after another, after another. Oh, the redundancy, the redundancy, the redundancy, the redundancy...
http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/RushLimbaugh/main.asp

One of my personal favorites:
http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/RushLimbaugh/RushGIFS/1/cagle00.gif