PDA

View Full Version : I would just like to take this moment to celebrate... (Kill Bill Thread)

ReaperFett
Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:21:04 PM
Kill Bill in the UK...

UNCUT!

:D :D :D :D

110 minutes and 30 seconds of Tarantino goodness, with blood, limb lopping and sword fights. And uncut. Joy of joy, the classification board got the joke. I salute you! :D :D :D :D

darth_mcbain
Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:29:05 PM
I have to say, I initially had no interest in seeing this - but a few days ago I saw a trailer for it and it actually looks pretty sweet...

JMK
Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:32:13 PM
Damn you Reaper!
Are you telling me that the rest of us are getting a tamed down version? I know it's being cut into 2 movies here, but are they making it lame too?

Figrin D'an
Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:46:03 PM
Elaboration on this would be much appreciated.

ReaperFett
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:45:22 AM
Originally posted by JMK
Damn you Reaper!
Are you telling me that the rest of us are getting a tamed down version? I know it's being cut into 2 movies here, but are they making it lame too?
Who knows? Find the website of the people who classify US movies. I think it hasn't yet been classified for you

The thing is, the UK classifiers seem so random. They cut headbutts from EP2 and Tomb Raider but not FOTR. One movie they hack to pieces, another they "get" and barely touch, if at all.

Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Elaboration on this would be much appreciated.
I was worried they would hack this movie to pieces. They didn't :)

JMK
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:34:02 AM
You disappoint Reaper. You're supposed to know all this stuff well before any of us ask. Geez. :rolleyes

:p

Jen
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:37:52 AM
It's classified R in the US, if that's what you mean.

I don't know why they'd take out the headbutting and stuff if they're giving an adult rating.

JMK
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:40:04 AM
Cool avatar Jenny, what movie is that from? ;)

Jen
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:41:16 AM
I don't know ^_^; I just stumbled across it and thought "Wow" :lol

ReaperFett
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:55:09 AM
Originally posted by Jen
I don't know why they'd take out the headbutting and stuff if they're giving an adult rating.

Yes, but this involves slightly more than a headbutt ;)

Jen
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:57:49 AM
Do ratings go any higher than R? If they don't, then they shouldn't have to edit things out. Just put a warning on the poster or something - "This movie contains EXTREMELY graphic violence so don't come in if you're squeamish :D"

ReaperFett
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:58:56 AM
NC-17 is higher :)

Zasz Grimm
Oct 4th, 2003, 12:46:00 PM
I still think it looks stupid. Just looks like a bunch of mindless action.

I'll go see it if someone else pays my way.

BUFFJEDI
Oct 4th, 2003, 02:48:23 PM
I have to say I agree with Grimm . None of his other movies are worth a crap so I doubt this will be anything much. But that's my opinion, hope you guy's enjoy .:) But what do I know, I like the sw holiday special;) of course there are reasons *coughbeaarthurcough**

ReaperFett
Oct 4th, 2003, 04:14:50 PM
Originally posted by Zasz Grimm
I still think it looks stupid. Just looks like a bunch of mindless action.
Basically I agree. But unlike some Trilogies starring your avatar, it doesn't try to hide it behind technobabble ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 4th, 2003, 05:32:52 PM
I cannot wait to seeee it. :D

Zasz Grimm
Oct 4th, 2003, 09:51:42 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Basically I agree. But unlike some Trilogies starring your avatar, it doesn't try to hide it behind technobabble ;)

Technobabble if you can't understand it. It's called following the movie.

Simple enough.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 4th, 2003, 11:56:10 PM
Nah, it's prettymuch technobabble, plot-holes, and continuity errors.

Figrin D'an
Oct 5th, 2003, 12:58:55 AM
Well, back to the topic at hand for a moment...

I've enjoyed Tarantino's films, and this one is on my list to see at the theatre. Considered I haven't been to the theatre to see anything since July, that's pretty significant I suppose. There are 4 films being released between now and the end of the year that will coax me to the box office: Kill Bill, Alien: Director's Cut, Matrix Revolutions and Return of the King. Hopefully, they will all entertain me (well, I know Alien will... :) )... this year has been a pretty massive disappointment film-wise, IMO.

ReaperFett
Oct 5th, 2003, 06:41:11 AM
Yeah, there's a lot of potentially good movies out in the next few months.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 5th, 2003, 08:13:24 AM
I agree, Figrin. Quality wise, this year has been a major dissappoinment for me. I go to the movies less than 1/4th as frequent as previous year, because of the lack of interesting or innovative material. I am getting bored with the run off the mill action flicks.

ReaperFett
Oct 5th, 2003, 08:23:10 AM
I've loved this year :)

JMK
Oct 5th, 2003, 08:32:24 AM
I've been to the theater about 11 or 12 times this year, but I agree, I find this year has been a little below par. But the last quarter of the year could get me to the theater alot.

Alien: Director's Cut

What is this all about???

Zasz Grimm
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:46:09 AM
Originally posted by JMK

What is this all about???

It's the 25th or 30th anniversary of it; so they're re-releasing. I'll be going, for sure.

ReaperFett
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:10:53 PM
Nice exert from a review I read:

And what fine splatter it is. If, as rumoured, both parts of Kill Bill were shot for two-thirds of the SFX budget on The Matrix sequels, Tarantino has succeeded in making the Wachowski brothers look very, very silly indeed.

Compared to Q.T.’s slice ’em, dice ’em deli, the much-hyped Neo versus 100 Agent Smiths showdown appears unforgivably gutless and soulless. Moral guardians may be outraged but, after a build that most audiences will find slow, it is the bloody geysers Tarantino uncorks here that will have them joining the queue for the very next showing.

That's the stuff :D

Droo
Oct 10th, 2003, 12:48:57 AM
They get KB today. It's not fair. One week left. :\

Ardath Bey
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:20:29 AM
Yeah, movies today are increasingly hack-work sans originality. They (film companies) plaster today's topdraw names all over the cinema posters and yet offer little in substance.

My saviors has been sitting in and watching the TCM channel (Turner Classic Movies). Viewing the best of yesteryear, last Wednesday evening I was treated to two Elia Kazan masterpieces -- On the Waterfront and A Streetcar Named Desire.

ReaperFett
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:37:36 AM
Originally posted by Ardath Bey
Yeah, movies today are increasingly hack-work sans originality. They (film companies) plaster today's topdraw names all over the cinema posters and yet offer little in substance.
Tarantino wanted to make a Japanese revenge flick. What can he do that is original? Some reviews I've watched (Ask Dru if you don't belive me, he saw this one too) have said that although homaging the movies he loves, TARANTINO'S STYLE IS ABUNDANT.

Also it is my belief that older movies weren't original, it's just harder to find the movies they took ideas from :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:21:56 AM
I'm gonna see it tomorrow night after work and I CAN'T WAIT. :D

Droo
Oct 10th, 2003, 07:41:24 AM
Take me with you! :wave

P.S. Fett speaks the truth. Word!

JediBoricua
Oct 10th, 2003, 09:36:39 AM
I saw the movie yesterday (good things happen when movies open on Thursday).

I am not a conosseiur of Japanese revenge films, though I have seen a few in the past year, and let me tell you this one ranks in there.

Not only it is the best Tarantino movie yet, it is (until ROTK most likely) the most fun I've had at the cinema this year.

The style, the music, the setting, the ANIME!, the choreagraphy, the acting, the dialogue. Damn this was a good movie! I will have to see it again soon, very soon!

And what fine splatter it is. If, as rumoured, both parts of Kill Bill were shot for two-thirds of the SFX budget on The Matrix sequels, Tarantino has succeeded in making the Wachowski brothers look very, very silly indeed.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2003, 12:35:54 PM
Nothing is original, well almost nothing, even the great Shakespear copied stuff in creating his plays. (Romeo and Jullet was based on another story he read, Julius Ceaser obvious, Macbeath and Hamlet based on semi true events, etc) So I wouldn't argue the originality point. As for this year well I think its no worse than last year, I loved X2, POTC, and Seabiscuit, in some ways I enjoyed the films this summer better than last summer. The only film I truly enjoyed last summer was AOTC the rest I didn't enjoy as much. For example I like X2 a lot better than Spiderman.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2003, 12:36:45 PM
Oh as for Kill Bill I might see it eventually, I just don't like the whole spliting up thing, I think that might end up hurting this movie, box office wise.

ReaperFett
Oct 10th, 2003, 12:58:03 PM
even the great Shakespear copied stuff in creating his plays. (Romeo and Jullet was based on another story he read...
Indeed some believe he didn't even write R&J :)

Ardath Bey
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:09:25 PM
I don't argue the originality nothing is original but I mean't is a film can be is innovative or refreshing or memorable. A fact absent in many movies today. Hollywood these days is producing movies a dime a dozen. Many movies are falling between the cracks. Good movies too. The difference between the classics of yesteryear and movies of today is the longevity and mainstay of the former. The fact they are still much talked about and never forgotten. Something that can't be said with many today's productions. They're -in- and they're -out- like yesterday's trends.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:46:43 PM
gb2miramax, film snob lol

Your argument kinda falls short, due to the simple fact that you can't tell which modern movies will stand the test of time. Not knocking classics, but you always troll movie threads with the same "if it isn't black & white, its crap" jingo.

Ardath Bey
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:30:26 PM
Originally posted by Commander Zemil Vymes
gb2miramax, film snob lol

Your argument kinda falls short, due to the simple fact that you can't tell which modern movies will stand the test of time. Not knocking classics, but you always troll movie threads with the same "if it isn't black & white, its crap" jingo.

By relative definition, I have already partially observed this with the majority of critics and filmlovers lack of due interest to revisit these newer titles. Whether a year, five years, ten years, or twenty years down the line. Of course this argument is neither completely factual or true. I am sure there will be films from this period distinctly remembered for their personalities or genuis long after. I suppose, only time will tell.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:54:11 PM
Actually they make less movies now than they did 30-50 years ago. There were a lot of bad movies in the 50's and 60's heck I think some of the worst movies of all time come from that era (Robot Monster is the worse film I have ever seen nothing from today is that bad). I think they still make great movies, I need to bring in CMJ into this topic he could argue that better than me :p
Of course this is all opinion I enjoy more movies made in the last 30 years than the older films but that is just me.

Ardath Bey
Oct 10th, 2003, 03:53:29 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Actually they make less movies now than they did 30-50 years ago. There were a lot of bad movies in the 50's and 60's heck I think some of the worst movies of all time come from that era (Robot Monster is the worse film I have ever seen nothing from today is that bad). I think they still make great movies, I need to bring in CMJ into this topic he could argue that better than me :p
Of course this is all opinion I enjoy more movies made in the last 30 years than the older films but that is just me.

True, but the quality in general was far greater in the past. Classic films have the ability to transcend all ages and bridge all generations. Yet today's movies (post 80s) have increasingly grown less imaginative and more increasingly a direct product of their representive generation (year, decade, age, etc.). A trend that continues to grow. I feel many of the better movies today save for the oscar winners have a far greater chance of falling into obscurity. IMO, people will be scratching their heads trying to recall the titles of today ... say ten-twenty years from now. Sure, they speak to us now but can they speak to us tomorrow? Given time novelty grows increasingly thin. That will be the defining factor.[/b]

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2003, 06:59:38 PM
I disagree with you there what about Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, the Harry Potter films, Indiana Jones, Jaws and the Godfather saga. These are all films made in the last 30 years that stand the test of time, IMO. There are others I think its really hard to look at it that way I doubt people in the 30-50's new Gone with the Wind, Ben Hur, Wizard of Oz and Casbalanca would last that long. Actually though there are young people today that don't even know those movies or at least have never seen them so they all could get basically forgot except by film critics.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 10th, 2003, 07:17:08 PM
<a href=http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=136528>Quentin Tarentino interview</a>

I cannot CANNOT wait to see Kill Bill. Count down: T minus two hours. ^_^;

Oh as for Kill Bill I might see it eventually, I just don't like the whole spliting up thing, I think that might end up hurting this movie, box office wise.

As this is what he originally wanted to do, I wouldn't argue with The Man. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2003, 07:30:04 PM
I thought this was miramax's decision??? Why could they just release a 2.5 hour movie. If they can make GOF (800 page book) into a 2.5-3 hour movie I am sure they can make just about anything.

Ardath Bey
Oct 10th, 2003, 08:33:22 PM
I disagree with you there what about Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, the Harry Potter films, Indiana Jones, Jaws and the Godfather saga. These are all films made in the last 30 years that stand the test of time, IMO. There are others I think its really hard to look at it that way I doubt people in the 30-50's new Gone with the Wind, Ben Hur, Wizard of Oz and Casbalanca would last that long. Actually though there are young people today that don't even know those movies or at least have never seen them so they all could get basically forgot except by film critics.

Hey wait, who said anything about Star Wars (OT); Indiana Jones; Jaws; and the Godfather saga. Those are already considered classics and fall under that criteria. What I am stating is post-80s cinema hasn't broken much new ground or offered much by the way of serious film study. As far as the older classics go, they will never be forgotten as long as there are general film enthusiasts. As far as these other films mentioned wait til the new generation.

ReaperFett
Oct 11th, 2003, 08:18:10 AM
I thought this was miramax's decision??? Why could they just release a 2.5 hour movie. If they can make GOF (800 page book) into a 2.5-3 hour movie I am sure they can make just about anything.
Tarantino has made something like 3 1/2 hours of footage, and Miramax would have wanted some edits. QT suggested making it into two parts, which is doable as the story was written in chapters.

Sanis Prent
Oct 11th, 2003, 11:43:17 AM
It was Tarantino's decision to split it, I think.

Anyway, I got around to seeing it last night, and its probably tied with Pulp Fiction on the "Best of Tarantino" list, edging out Reservoir Dogs.

Fantastic fantastic movie, and very different from the work he's tried to do before. Aside from the non-linear storytelling, this movie is like nothing he's done before. Its an amazing melding of multiple genres to form something better. It has glaring imperfections that were seemingly done on purpose to somehow make the movie better than if it were corrected. (Overdone camera shots, brash dialogue, badly-matched music, and terrible special effects). It gives the movie a special kind of character to it, and that is very stylish in its imperfection.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2003, 11:49:45 AM
I still think it could have done better as one film (Box Office wise)thought they could have saved that extra footage for the big DVD. Right now I think the two films will make 100 million combined.

ReaperFett
Oct 11th, 2003, 12:00:47 PM
I still think it could have done better as one film (Box Office wise)thought they could have saved that extra footage for the big DVD. Right now I think the two films will make 100 million combined.
Could miss out on even better DVD extras though. Word is that the 1&2 DVD will have an extra MOVIE of some sorts added.

And anyway, Tarantino sees there as NO footage that could be cut. I'd rather two parts than have some cut to hell flawed movie. How can you cut 100 minutes (Rumoured) from a movie?

Also, apparently this movie only cost $45m. Even if thats the full cost cut in half, that's good stuff. Apparently made $8m on Friday, so will make a BIG profit almost certainly. I can see a $30m opening, which it wouldn't improve on if one movie.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2003, 12:13:05 PM
I think it will make 23-25 opening weekend, and the first part will do 60-70, IMO the Second will do less I think.

ReaperFett
Oct 11th, 2003, 12:14:49 PM
Depends on how the second is. Less competition, lot of praise from Vol 1, I can see it making similar.

I'll go 110 for both, 220 total.

And even if you're right, that means Miramax make a profit on both AND keep Tarantino happy. They win.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2003, 12:16:48 PM
That is very optomistic I don't think either will make a 100 on their own, I'm guessing 70 for the first 60 for the second that is 130 that is actually better than my original prediction might do 300 combined WW.

ReaperFett
Oct 11th, 2003, 12:47:25 PM
Well I'm looking at it's positives:

- Tarantino, a director than entitled a generation (Some do say we're in the Tarantino generation)

- Violence, movie goers love some violence

- No competition until Revolutions, about 3 weeks away.

- Critical acclaim (According to RT it is 103-24, most of the major reviewers like-love it)

- Good word of mouth.

- Rewatchings

- Length is long enough to be enjoyable but not too long as to affect extra showings.

Sanis Prent
Oct 11th, 2003, 01:16:10 PM
Sorry, don't care about box office. The movie is an R-rated flick, its not exactly trying to roll yahtzee with cash. (Hell, it was heavily edited to avoid an NC-17 fate)

Lucy Liu + Japanese schoolgirl fetishist assassins = OHHH YES

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 11th, 2003, 06:46:20 PM
OMG OMG OMG

I loved it.

Although there were so many limbs flying and totally over the top gushing blood fountains that make me want to see what my lunch looked like, it was FANTASTIC. I adored it.

I especially loved the bit where on the plane there were sword holders by the seats, and she carried her sword through the airport, etc. And the sword holsters on the motorcycles was a nice touch too. It just went to show that we weren't really in the REAL world, we were transported into Tarentino's world. And it was a great ride. Truly amazing.

I'm going to drag my slightly squeamish roommate to see it, see how she fares. I mean, I was feeling a bit off at some points. :D

The anime background story was cool. Very different.

All in all, Tarentino proves YET AGAIN he can redefine 'cool' to be synonymus with his name.

Sanis Prent
Oct 11th, 2003, 09:38:53 PM
I'm thinking that the Bride is killing the rest of the D-VAS with their own weapons, thus asserting her mastery over them. She killed Copperhead with a knife, after mentioning that Bill always praised her skill with a blade. Copperhead even suggested another knife fight, etc. Cottonmouth (O Ren) had her samurai swords. When you see the D-VAS at the Texas chapel, Budd carries an M-4 carbine slung over a shoulder. Elle Driver? Not sure there. She tried to use poison, so maybe darts?

And perhaps in showing her mastery over the other D-VAS, it becomes apparent why she seems to be held in higher esteem than the others, or at least did at one time (She claims her daughter belongs to Bill) This may also show precisely why she had to be eliminated in the first place.

What I think this sets up is a true merging of genre. The Kurasawa-esque Samurai film, and the spaghetti western. Once again, it becomes almost like anime on film. Blade and Gun, and the mythic sense of honor among killers. Just hypothesizing, though. Haven't read the script.

Sanis Prent
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:16:07 AM
From reading the script on the internet, I have disproven my hypothesis. Oh well. Still, if the second half adheres remotely to what is in the internet script, its going to be pretty awesome.

ReaperFett
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:24:22 AM
I believe a whole chapter has been removed due to time/budget. As in, not even filmed, Tarantino's descision.

EDIT - Changed thread title so everyone knows this is a Kill BIll thread :)

Sanis Prent
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:10:44 AM
Thanks. I was going to ask you about that.

BTW, which title was it, if I might ask?

Is it the one with Go Go's sister, attacking immediately after the Bride kills Vernita Green?

ReaperFett
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:42:42 AM
Is Blue Leaves or similar the big fight we see in the trailer? That chapter title sticks in my head. I'll have a check.

Sanis Prent
Oct 16th, 2003, 05:03:14 AM
But how can that be cut, if we've already seen it? You just confused me.

ReaperFett
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:16:18 AM
Because Im asking if that was it. I'm seeing the movie tommorow, how the hell would I remember titles? I didn't spoilt mysel;f by reading the script either, what kind of fool do I look like? ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:57:55 AM
Should I answer that? ;)

Sanis Prent
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:17:36 AM
That is definitely not cut out, no.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:23:32 PM
I did notice that the part in the trailer where she is fighting an old man with her sword..and he jumps up and lands on her blade and then kicks her in the face...that isn't in Volume 1. Hopefully it'll be in Vol. 2, it looked like an awesome scene.

Sanis Prent
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:22:28 PM
That is her training under the Kung Fu master, Pai Mei. It serves a major part in the plot of the second half, and explains several things, such as how she is able to survive against Sidewinder, and even how she manages to kill Bill. Don't worry, that will still be there.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:33:10 PM
Ok you didn't have to tell me SO MUCH, a simple "Yes it is in the second half" would have done. :x

Sanis Prent
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:36:05 PM
Oh c'mon, like I told you something that you didn't know would happen in the second half anyway :rolleyes.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:05:16 PM
:cry you're a big meanie! :(

:mischief I'm going to see it again tonight in a few minutes. :D

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 17th, 2003, 05:03:03 AM
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/%7Ealexward/images.htm

some nice behind the scenes images on there :)

Sanis Prent
Oct 17th, 2003, 05:56:24 AM
The shot of the D-VAS with M-16's is so awesome I want to flip out and kick my mom in the face.

Darth Viscera
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:36:25 AM
Having just watched the trailer, I half expected to find Sanis Prent on the cast. It looks like it was done with style. I'm going to see it today, after fajitas.

Sanis Prent
Oct 17th, 2003, 09:57:36 AM
That movie and my character are pretty much cut from the same mold, yes.

ReaperFett
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:02:01 PM
Overall, I thought it was pretty much meh.

Yeah, I'm lying. But hey I say, why not lie to those that haven't bothered to see the movie yet?

I loved it, one of the best movies I have seen. A movie that felt like a homage to the movies QT grew up on, yet still something with his clear hand in it.

I also think this felt perfectly standalone. In a way, I think any more would have spoilt what we had.

One nice touch I liked was how set in the Tarantinoverse this was. Applejacks (think that was the name :)) were advertised, and the Texan Sheriffs were both from the Dusk til Dawn movies.

Can't wait to see the sequel. And hey, I want to see how obvious the cameo is :)

Sanis Prent
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:06:50 PM
You're thinking of Red Apple Cigarettes. The ad was shown in the Tokyo Airport I think. Also, there was another product placement homage to Kaboom cereal.

ReaperFett
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:15:19 PM
That was it. It was the ones in Pulp Fiction, that I was sure :)

Sanis Prent
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:16:42 PM
I was kinda hoping for a homage to Big Kahuna Burger, but I'll take what I can get.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:17:23 PM
Augh I need to see it AGAIN. ^_^;

Not for $8.25 though. :x There are so many things you pick up on in the second viewing.

Sanis Prent
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:19:02 PM
Matinee ^_^;

That is what you need to remember.

I saw it twice in theaters, mainly due to one viewing being a free movie pass, and the next viewing was a $6.00 student admission.

Darth Viscera
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:19:31 PM
this movie was fantastical. I liked it.

ReaperFett
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:19:47 PM
I want to see it again and again so much that the world turns black and white when I blick :D

Sanis Prent
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:25:19 PM
They managed to use the Wilhelm scream. TWICE

ReaperFett
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:28:18 PM
One was a lot more distinct than the other :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:33:16 PM
When did they??

Darth Viscera
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:34:00 PM
I thought that the Yakuza don't let women into their group because they think them weak.

I guess O-Ren must have decapitated a recruiter :lol

Sanis Prent
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:36:20 PM
Hollie, it was in the Blue Leaves Club.

And Visc, you forgot to check your brain at the door before watching. Not exactly a crime documentary :)

Darth Viscera
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:37:59 PM
ah, then it was fantastical on that level as well

Saarrreeaa Meorrrei
Oct 17th, 2003, 06:27:27 PM
I love the end of the Blue Leaves gang fight when she spanks the last kid and sends him home. Hysterical!!

Droo
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:14:12 PM
I love this movie so much it should be illegal. I'm going again on Sunday and suffice it to say that my Top 5 is being rearranged. I knew I'd adore this film the moment I heard about it; Kill Bill delivers all the goods and more. There's not one thing I dislike about Vol. 1. It's extremely rare I can say that for any movie.

ReaperFett
Oct 18th, 2003, 03:56:32 PM
http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view.asp?usersid=4053&ce=y

Decided how I feel about it :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 18th, 2003, 06:13:33 PM
Number 2? :) Leaving room for Vol 2 I hope :p

ReaperFett
Oct 18th, 2003, 06:24:34 PM
Hard Boiled has sentimental value, so can't be beaten on a single showing :)

ReaperFett
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:49:12 AM
Looks like Carr will be closer for BO money than me. I didn't expect a remake of a film I find vastly overrated to do so well. Stupid people :grumble

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:49:24 AM
Originally posted by Saarrreeaa Meorrrei
I love the end of the Blue Leaves gang fight when she spanks the last kid and sends him home. Hysterical!!

:D that was my favourite bit of the trailer (haven't seen it yet, of course). Made me laugh so hard

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 19th, 2003, 11:18:18 AM
That was in the trailer? o_O

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 19th, 2003, 11:22:33 AM
Yeah... the bit where she cuts some guys sword up into bits then kicks him in the rear and shouts "GO HOME TO YOUR MOTHER!" and he runs off crying?

Charley
Oct 19th, 2003, 11:53:29 AM
I loved the use of english-subtitled japanese in this movie. Added to make a perfect atmosphere. On top of that, the next part will include english dubbed over mandarin chinese.

This makes me so happy

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 19th, 2003, 12:30:59 PM
If this was the army I'd be General! *If you were a General, I'd be the Emperor, and you'd still get the sake!*

Badly remembered, but fondly recalled. :D

Droo
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:19:50 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
If this was the army I'd be General! *If you were a General, I'd be the Emperor, and you'd still get the sake!*

That line was hilarious. The whole scene was hilarious. :D

Sanis Prent
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:33:16 PM
I'm not bald, I just shave my head. You understaaand?

Droo
Oct 20th, 2003, 11:23:59 AM
As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your ******* head. Just like this ****** here. Now, if any of you sons of ******* got anything else to say, now's the ******** time!

Had me in hysterics too. :D

Sanis Prent
Oct 20th, 2003, 11:25:37 AM
That was hilarious :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 20th, 2003, 05:17:37 PM
*coff* swear filter subverter!

It's covered by spoiler grey, so I'll leave it alone. :)

ReaperFett
Oct 20th, 2003, 05:22:45 PM
Might see it again tommorow depending on my mood. If my chat with my project supervisor goes well I'll see LXG. But if it doesn't, I'll want something quality to relieve my stress :)

Droo
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:15:02 PM
Verbal fart!

ReaperFett
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:34:38 PM
Dru, I personally would reccomend either wholly blanking or leave one letter only.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:37:51 PM
Using ** in substitution for a few letters in parts of a word are in fact subverting the filter. Substituting **** for the entire word is not subversion.

This is not a newspaper, this is a website with its own seperate set of rules and regulations, made by those who own and operate it. Follow the rules or face the consequences set forth in the FAQ. This is not up for debate.

This thread gets warned.

EDIT: Thank you for the edit Dru. Thread warning lifted.

Droo
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:56:12 AM
I think my favourite part of this movie is the opening. The bit before the credits which never fails in making people jump out of their skins! It's just so striking and memorable, definately my favourite opening to a movie.

Charley
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:46:08 AM
The opening is definitely a jaw-dropper. It throws you right into the movie. From the moment Bill pulled the trigger and put a bullet into the Bride's head, I was sold on this thing.

Also, the combination of makeup effects and Uma's acting in that scene just make everything so uncomfortably real, even if the scene is shot in black & white. I love the small nuances such as the several dislodged teeth in Uma's mouth.

imported_QuiGonJ
Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:02:04 AM
What I thought was amazing about the film was something only Tarantino could get away with...

The fact is, the yakuza leadership and army were destroyed utterly by a gaijin female, which is about as big an insult as can be to Yakuza pride and power, and this would never have happened if O-ren had not assumed leadership.

So despite the guy losing his head, he was completely right. With any other filmmaker, that point would be considered too non-PC to make.

Oh, and while much of the film was just wrong, it was easily my favorite film of the year so far.

Sanis Prent
Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:06:40 AM
I wouldn't say that the Yakuza were utterly destroyed. It was more of a decapitation. I'm sure the rest of the council would easily fill the power vacuum, but your point has some merit to it.

I also find it interesting that the best acting job by far in the movie comes from Sonny Chiba. His entire speech as he presents the sword to the Bride is rather enjoyable.

As far as being "just wrong"? What do you mean exactly?

imported_QuiGonJ
Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:55:54 AM
I said the leadership and army, not the Yakuza itself. Losing leadership in such a way was, as the soundtrack calls it, a battle without humanity or honor.

As for the notion of "just wrong", think of Galaxy Quest when Guy says "That's not right" as the engineer starts making out with the girl in her tentacled form. It's not an attack on the film as such. It includes things like the name of the truck, the notion the Bride was serially raped for probably years by Buck and friends, "Lucky for her, he was a pedophile", things like that. Those things are just so wroooong. :)

Sanis Prent
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:13:57 PM
Yeah but it wouldn't be a proper Tarantino film if it wasn't :)

Mortaniuss
Oct 25th, 2003, 11:18:39 PM
Oh wow. I never thought you could make a live-action Ninja Scroll and not have it suck.

Well, that's not a completely fair analysis, but it was the first thing to come to mind. The mis-matched music was great. The dialogue, sparse as it was, was great. The gore was so over the top, it had me laughing at several parts. The movie is completely tongue-in-cheek with just the right amount of camp. Easily the best movie of the year.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 26th, 2003, 06:23:09 AM
Saw it. WOW. :D

That is all :D

Droo
Oct 26th, 2003, 12:27:47 PM
Originally posted by Mortaniuss
Easily the best movie of the year.

Thus far! :mad

I hope we get to see more of Sonny Chiba in Vol. 2. I really do!

Did anyone else notice, on their second viewing, that the cereal Vernita is making for her daughter is called "KABOOM!" I quite liked that. :D

Sanis Prent
Oct 26th, 2003, 12:39:28 PM
Yep. Its an homage to Pulp Fiction.

Best of all, the cereal exists IRL.

Mortaniuss
Oct 26th, 2003, 04:17:29 PM
Also, Uma Thurman did the "square" thing again. :D
Thus far!ROTK is going to have to be a lot better than TTT was for it to edge out Kill Bill. And Matrix Revolutions doesn't stand a chance.

JMK
Oct 26th, 2003, 04:57:10 PM
Kaboom does exist, I used to eat it as a kid when my family went to our cottage in N.Y. :)

Figrin D'an
Oct 26th, 2003, 05:27:59 PM
Finally saw it this afternoon. Loved it. I got exactly what I expected out of it, and it didn't disappoint at all.

I think it's great that Tarantino is able to do a film that is considerably different from his previous films, yet still implement certain stylistic idiosyncracies that are trademarks of his and have it woven into a classic film genre and have it work. The fact that he didn't have the opportunity to use one of his staples, the interjection of a lot of intellectual dialogue (the genre just doesn't allow it), but was still able to make the story work and be entertaining says a lot about his skill as a director.

I couldn't help but smile when I first heard the Wilhelm scream . Very nice touch. I personally found it hilarious that Sofie was still alive when the Bride made here little speech to the survivors of the tea house massacre. One of many ways that the film thumbed it's nose at realism. :)

Ardath Bey
Oct 26th, 2003, 06:00:16 PM
Finally seen the movie this afternoon too. The soundtrack rocked and always cued timely as the movie shifted from one panel to the next.

Besides that, this is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Each skit suffered painfully mechanical deliveries. Especially the those involving Vivian Fox and Daryll Hannah. Seeing these actresses try to enliven up each scene was embarassing. It looked forced and unconvincing, bear in mind I am speaking of performance intricacies that were unintentional. Most the movie consisted of Uma Thurman playing with a sword and vast amounts of blood fly for nearly one hour and fifty minutes, without any evident brilliance or wit. Like we seen in Pulp Fiction. A fabulous movie full of great dialogue and ironies. *snicker*

Though the movie had it's moments like with the hospital nurse and Go-Go the bodyguard. Sick! :lol

Sanis Prent
Oct 26th, 2003, 06:30:12 PM
You manage to miss the point. Way to fail at life.

Figrin D'an
Oct 26th, 2003, 06:50:16 PM
Finally seen the movie this afternoon too. The soundtrack rocked and always cued timely as the movie shifted from one panel to the next.

Besides that, this is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Each skit suffered painfully mechanical deliveries. Especially the those involving Vivian Fox and Daryll Hannah. Seeing these actresses try to enliven up each scene was embarassing. It looked forced and unconvincing, bear in mind I am speaking of performance intricacies that were unintentional. Most the movie consisted of Uma Thurman playing with a sword and vast amounts of blood fly for nearly one hour and fifty minutes, without any evident brilliance or wit. Like we seen in Pulp Fiction. A fabulous movie full of great dialogue and ironies. *snicker*

Though the movie had it's moments like with the hospital nurse and Go-Go the bodyguard. Sick! :lol

I'm going to recommend that you take a mulligan on this, and see it again or catch it on DVD. A different perspective might help when viewing this film. Comparing it to Pulp Fiction, or his other films, is an exercise in futility. It just doesn't work.

Ardath Bey
Oct 27th, 2003, 03:05:14 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
I'm going to recommend that you take a mulligan on this, and see it again or catch it on DVD. A different perspective might help when viewing this film. Comparing it to Pulp Fiction, or his other films, is an exercise in futility. It just doesn't work.

No, I caught everything from the "Game of Death" jumpsuit to the Master of the Guillotine cue on O-Ren to the "Five Fingers of Death's" siren whenever Thurman's characters was about to kill someone. I didn't miss a thing but the delivery really sucked. IMO, the movie is plain annoying.

Ardath Bey
Oct 27th, 2003, 03:25:32 AM
Oh yeah, and Divas were obvious a wink at the "Five Deadly Venoms".

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 27th, 2003, 04:49:26 AM
Ardath - I think you're expecting too much from the movie. It's not meant to be deep.

Oh yeah, and Divas were obvious a wink at the "Five Deadly Venoms".

I thought it was Fox Force Five ^_^;

Ardath Bey
Oct 27th, 2003, 05:50:29 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
Ardath - I think you're expecting too much from the movie. It's not meant to be deep.

I thought it was Fox Force Five ^_^;

Could very well be but I have never heard of FFF. But the reason I said Five Deadly Venoms is it had an assassin clan. Each martial artist had his own style, thus there was codenames of Snake, Scorpion, Centipede, Toad, and Lizard. Plus it correlates with the other martial arts movies of the same period and created by some of the same people. I.e. like when O-Ren departed after the backup arrived ... it briefly cued the Master of Flying Guillotine theme. And KB had some funky tracks like Five Fingers of Death. Also used precise same siren sounding off from FFoD every moment before Thurman's character was about to exact some revenge.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 27th, 2003, 07:41:15 AM
The movie doesn't just draw on martial arts movies though, you have to remember that. it's a mish mash of a lot of things :)

http://nextdch.mty.itesm.mx/~plopezg/FFF3/FFF.html
http://nextdch.mty.itesm.mx/~plopezg/FFF3/faq/faq.html#team

^ Fox Force Five

Droo
Oct 27th, 2003, 08:19:08 AM
I thought it was an homage to Fox Force Five too. Shame there were no tomato jokes.

Sanis Prent
Oct 27th, 2003, 10:08:48 AM
How do you not know who Fox Force Five is, when you're expounding the virtues of Pulp Fiction, and trying to compare KB to it?

You sir, are off your rocker.

And the siren theme isn't from Five Fingers of Death, its from Ironside.

Ardath Bey
Oct 27th, 2003, 10:49:19 AM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
How do you not know who Fox Force Five is, when you're expounding the virtues of Pulp Fiction, and trying to compare KB to it?

You sir, are off your rocker.

And the siren theme isn't from Five Fingers of Death, its from Ironside.

No, just lack of due relevance and you don't have be a hardcore Tarantino fanboy knowitall in order to enjoy Pulp Fiction. No, there is a siren theme in FFoD, bearing in mind I haven't seen in years, when the protagonist's iron fist begins to glow.

Sanis Prent
Oct 27th, 2003, 10:54:02 AM
Its not the same theme :) The theme used in KB is from Ironside.

:lol lack of due relevance? So acknowledging obscure movies is relevant, and acknowledging Tarantino's own movies is irrelevant?

I sense a pattern in your posts.

OMG LOL OLD > NEW AM I RITE?

You should expound your fresh and innovative ideas on imdb's forums.

Ardath Bey
Oct 27th, 2003, 11:12:49 AM
No, you simply misunderstood my statement and twisted it. What I said is what revelance does Fox Fire Five have with Pulp Fiction???

Mortaniuss
Oct 27th, 2003, 11:17:33 AM
Fox Force Five. The TV show that Uma Thurman's character was supposed to have tried out for in Pulp Fiction. 5 women, each with different talents (one was good with a knife, another with explosives, etc).

Ardath Bey
Oct 27th, 2003, 06:07:15 PM
Originally posted by Mortaniuss
Fox Force Five. The TV show that Uma Thurman's character was supposed to have tried out for in Pulp Fiction. 5 women, each with different talents (one was good with a knife, another with explosives, etc).

D'oh! I remember now. Am getting senile in my 'old' age. How could I forget?! But I have been deeply concentrating in some other material. Feel like an Idjit!

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 1st, 2003, 05:20:55 PM
Kill Bill.

It was enjoyable, highly so. It had some very interesting techniques and the opening titles sequence is brilliant. I cant really think of much I didnt like.

But I dont love it. To me, claiming it's the best film of the year is absurd, as well as the claim that it's awful. It is neither of these two things. What it is is gory, funny, a visual feast. It does have style. It's got some neat one liners. It has some action that does rise up above standard, but in the main, most of it was pretty average and nothing special.

That pretty much sums it up. A rather different, visual, pretty much likable film that really wasnt anythign special. Still worth a view in the theatres. 7/10

Ardath Bey
Nov 1st, 2003, 09:41:26 PM
You're much kinder than me, Marcus. It still stinks despite me overlooking one gigantic tie-in. I just failed to see much genius in the over-the-top violence, superficial characters, and one-liners. Though these elements were intentional, I wanted a more solid tongue-in-cheek storyline and plot.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 1st, 2003, 10:07:30 PM
Snappy dialogue was NOT the point of Kill Bill.

Though these elements were intentional

* sigh * you got so close to getting the movie, then you let it go.

I wanted a more solid tongue-in-cheek storyline and plot.

That's not the point or what Tarentio wanted. It was loud and clear what he was doing to me and while some of it wasnt quite up to scratch, it in the main did exactly what it was supposed to do. This is NOT (thankfully) a Pulp Fiction clone.

Ardath Bey
Nov 1st, 2003, 10:14:40 PM
I saw quite clearly what Tarantino attempted to do, he tried to echo the films and genres of yesteryear with an over-the-top collage of images and themes. His own personalized homage. But, IMO, it sucked. It failed.

Ardath Bey
Nov 1st, 2003, 11:17:29 PM
Not to say the movie didn't have it's own identity. The questionably humorous and often spectacular homages were only half the story.

I think the film itself treated the inspirations too flippant and glib. All I seen was The Wife hack everything to bloody pieces with substantially little else to support it. Without wit or cleverness, where is the fun in that?

Charley
Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:19:31 PM
Right in front of your face, and you missed it, I'd say.

As far as being the best movie of the year, I'd stop short of that, but then again, I haven't really seen the playing field shape up in that category. Of what I've seen, it would be a front-runner for awards.

I'm sure something will come along to rival it, no doubt

Ardath Bey
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:12:22 AM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
Right in front of your face, and you missed it, I'd say.

Nope, I didn't miss anything. It was cute what Tarantino attempted to accomplish but too bad he didn't hire a better writer than himself. Thinking on this line, which reminds of another recent thread, maybe if the Coen Brothers had co-written this with Tarantino we would have a movie worth praising about. A true classic. They would given the movie umph it needed. Sorry, those one-liners and visceral violence fell flat on it's face. And the Awards are too scrupulous to appreciate a senseless movie like this.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:28:48 AM
Nope, I didn't miss anything.

One of the few times I agree wholeheartedly with Charley. Yes you did. Citizen Kane fans accuse me of missing the point - actually I did get it. I still think it's frelling boring as dog poop, but I can see why it can be loved and I do know it is excellent. Just not my type of movie.

I beleive this is the case with you, if you "get it". It's just plain not your type of movie. But, beign said, that does not mean it sucked.

You also have lauded Tarintino for his writign in Pulp fiction, yet you bag him in your last post? Cant have it both way.

The other thing I have kept in my head is that this IS only Part one of a Hong Kong style movie.

Charley
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:34:14 AM
My favorite part of the movie has to be right after the bride slashes off Sophie Fatale's arm. The music is such quintessential spaghetti western high-noon style showdown opera. The quick, close-pans on the eyes between the Bride and O-Ren, the quick and decisive violence in a public place. That whole scene is less Tokyo and more OK Corral. I absolutely love when the bystanders run out in a screaming panic, yet the Bride walks through their midst, slowly and inexorably.

That is such absolute style. Wonderful stuff.

Ardath Bey
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:38:04 AM
Well, I think it is a gigantic artistic waste to base this movie strictly on novelty.

Droo
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:50:55 AM
I thought that bit was fantastic too, Charley. My friend and I have scoured the entire internet for the title of that music and we've had no luck. :\

ReaperFett
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:03:07 AM
Well, I think it is a gigantic artistic waste to base this movie strictly on novelty.

I'm sure Tarantino would love the fact that you just called his favourite genre "novelty".

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:07:54 AM

Oh, just because you dont see this type of film in the USA often, it becomes a novelty?

Are you sure your not Jonathon?

ReaperFett
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:56:05 AM
Oh and Dru, try DLing the soundtrack to The good, the bad and the ugly.

Ardath Bey
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:28:14 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
I'm sure Tarantino would love the fact that you just called his favourite genre "novelty".

Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Oh, just because you dont see this type of film in the USA often, it becomes a novelty?

Reap, incorrect, at least his other movies had an halfway decently constructed plot and storyline. Something totally absent in this meaningless drivel.

Marcus, to answer your question directly. Thank god, american audiences are not exposed to many movies such as this one. IMO, only Tarantino underscored himself by seriously limiting his talents and limiting this movie. It simply involved Hong Kong styled skits and very little else. This movie had huge potential but grasped for straws instead. I am still wondering what purpose this movie served.

Charley
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:33:03 AM
It served to inspire you to troll a movie thread.

Droo
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:36:28 AM
I think I can see the problem here Ardath, you appear to have gone into the theatre with very defined expectations for Kill Bill Vol. 1 and when what you expected to see wasn't delivered then you were left disappointed. Understandable but I disagree with most of what you've said in this thread. Kill Bill entertained me to no end and I loved it and as such it served it's purpose.

ReaperFett
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:27:54 PM
Reap, incorrect, at least his other movies had an halfway decently constructed plot and storyline. Something totally absent in this meaningless drivel.
His favourite genre is the Hong Kong martial arts style from what I heard. You called it a novelty. I'm correct :)

JMK
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:43:30 PM
The guy didn't like the movie. The rest of us did.

GET. OVER. IT.

Ardath Bey
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:41:43 PM
It served to inspire you to troll a movie thread.

Troll? I come here to discuss movies and am offering my input. If I am a troll than everyone else that participates in this forum is one too.

Great summation Dru. I was expecting more traditional Tarantino and sufficiently less amount of Hong Kong. Instead I discovered something different.

Charley
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:07:20 AM
I've yet to see you substantiate any of your points. That's a troll in my book. You're free to offer something to back up your claims though.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:08:51 AM
I've yet to see you substantiate any of your points. That's a troll in my book. You're free to offer something to back up your claims though. I am inclined to agree here. All I've seen so far is unsubstantiated bashing, in a repeated manner.

I find it very ironic that you state the entire film is based on "novelty". The things that I saw in this film that it paid homage to are movie making elements that have existed for longer than you or I have been breathing. Now if thats novelty, I'm George Bush.

EDIT: Now of course you are entilted to your opinion, thinking it was not a good movie. I am in no way saying your opinion should change because others do not agree with it, but I am saying that your coming into this thread and trying to tear it down repaetedly are not going anywhere, and are rather pointles. You stated your opinion, and I think now its time to move on.

Ardath Bey
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:56:02 AM
Everything I have said is substantiated. Everyone has an opinion right?

Well, what I am saying is every facet of this movie is too airy and superficial. Characters, their motives, and the overall plot I feel needed much stronger development. Much stronger. And I do favor his previous work, Pulp Fiction, because it was more character oriented. There was not a strong enough emphasis on the characters in Kill Bill and I think that could have drew out some great twists in the plot's development. Personally I didn't mind the Hong Kong styles but the movie was fixated on it. That's my final words.

Don't need somebody taking potshots at me with unprovoked personal attacks. How's that for unsubstantiated??? When their argument simplied consisted of "I just did not get it."

TheHolo.Net
Nov 4th, 2003, 01:10:19 AM
Okay, everyone's opinions are on the table now. The time for arguing them is ended, else this will become a closed thread that drops off the face of this forum.

Droo
Nov 12th, 2003, 04:27:20 PM
Bumped because I would like to take this moment to celebrate...

Ennio Morricone - Death Rides a Horse

WOOHOO! :D