PDA

View Full Version : Cortoris material?

Xela Oxralad
Sep 27th, 2003, 09:28:14 PM
THere is reference to Lightsabers being stopped by Cortoris Material in the FAQ, and I want to know how it works.
Is it metal that can physicaly block a lightsaber?
If not then is there anything that can.
I would rather not go into detail but I can say that Xela has a a personal vendetta against an as yet undecided Sith and it would be quite helpful to able to fight him or her in an honourable duel at some point in the future, after I've decided on someone OOC and Xela discovers thier identity IC.

Pierce Tondry
Sep 27th, 2003, 09:32:19 PM
Some information regarding cortosis and other similarly lightsaber resistant materials can be found in this thread (http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32263).

Xela Oxralad
Sep 28th, 2003, 07:10:21 PM
THanks for the link.
SO it would be ok to have all my mellee weapons equiped with EM feilds to sort of block a lighsaber like one saber does to another?

Charley
Sep 28th, 2003, 07:11:21 PM
Yes but keep in mind there are limitations. Bulk, power supply, vulnerabilities that energy weapons face (water, electromagnetic pulses, etc)

Xela Oxralad
Sep 28th, 2003, 07:29:50 PM
All handles would aproximately the size of a lightsaber, and I'd only turn on the feilds if I needed to do something like block a lightsaber so most of the time getting them wet or getting caught in an EM pulse would only be a hassle to repair once I got home.

Charley
Sep 28th, 2003, 08:03:43 PM
The handle would be significantly larger than a lightsaber's handle, because you'd have to take into account the "tang" of the conventional blade. If you compromise on the tang, your blade will snap from the grip at the first serious contact.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 28th, 2003, 11:04:17 PM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
The handle would be significantly larger than a lightsaber's handle, because you'd have to take into account the "tang" of the conventional blade. If you compromise on the tang, your blade will snap from the grip at the first serious contact.

Just one thing I thought of, the field effect would in all likelyhood need an emitter of some sort. A sword doesnt really lend itself for emitters and power cells, etc.

An axe OTOH might.

Charley
Sep 28th, 2003, 11:28:49 PM
Not really. You'd likely need a coil rather than an emitter.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 29th, 2003, 12:21:30 AM
Then the coil would probably have to run up and down the length of the blade and probably need to be set within it. I really think an axe or metal spear would be more useful to do this with, sword really doesnt seem to lend itself to this.

Xela Oxralad
Sep 29th, 2003, 04:43:43 PM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
I didn't mean in length, I meant in how large it was around.

Charley
Sep 29th, 2003, 04:50:12 PM
even still, you'd have to take it into account. It would be more cumbersome than a lightsaber.

Xela Oxralad
Sep 30th, 2003, 08:42:15 PM
So how large woudl it have to be?

Charley
Sep 30th, 2003, 09:09:56 PM
I'd say the size of an old claymore's handle.

Xela Oxralad
Oct 1st, 2003, 06:06:15 PM
I've never seen a Claymore, so what is that in an actual unit of measurement?

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 1st, 2003, 06:43:18 PM
A claymore is a scottish sword, I think the best known example of it now is the sword used in Braveheart by Mel Gibson. A classic claymore is about 1.2 meters long and is a genuine two handed sword, a very good melee weapon and useful against armoured opponents. It does however, not allow the use of a shield due to it's size and weight. Narsil / Audruil in LOTR is fairly close to a claymore in shape and size.

Lance Freestar
Oct 2nd, 2003, 06:42:46 AM
A Claymore is also a nasty type of mine. Don't confuse it with the other thingy.

Preacher Blake
Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:42:15 AM
The mine is named due to the sword. I don't confuse patriot missiles with Paul Revere.

Xela Oxralad
Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:34:33 PM
SO an EM feild would work with a claymore or Quarter Staff, but not things like Sais, Nunchakus, etc.
I won't need Lightsaber resistant stuff for quite a while, so what if i do an incredibly long RP about finding the location of an ancient weapons cash? Here is it's story:

Thousands of years ago the Jedi first began to use Lightsabers instead of the metal weapons they had once used. One Mster, Takao Hazan, felt that the lightsaber was an abomination and should never repalce the Jedi smithing arts. He used his master of Force flame to create a flame so hot that it combined various elements that could never be combined before into a mystical alloy that seemed invincible. He made a complete armory and a suit of armor from this alloy and tested it against a lightsaber. It managed to block the blade flawlessly, but never came into wide use because the Force fire required to create and mold this alloy, called Hazanium, was very hard to create, and none but the greatest Masters could ever hope to form such a flame. Hazan entombedhis armory deep within the Jedi homeworld, and threw the parts of the key to the stars in hopes that a warrior would one day bring them together and use his creations for good. THe Lightsaber became a basic tool of the Jedi, and Hazanium was forgotten forever, until a young bounty hunterfound an ancient recording of Hazan, so old that is wasn't even holographic, telling him it's story. He knew that his only hope to kill the man who destroyed his life lay on an unkown world. He set out to search for the key fragments, but there were others searching for the same prize. . .

Anyone who wants can RP the search for the Key Fragments. A Key Frag will be a puzzle peice like section of a large Holacron with one ancient symbol engraved on each peice. WHen the peices are combined it could sort of point to the world where Hazans TOmb is located. Once the world is reached the cube will fly towards the tomb and open it.

Ryan Pode
Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:14:58 PM
A Scottish claymore is bigger than 1.2 meters, I'd reckon closer to 1.5 to 2. But yeah, a sword would need about a foot long or more hilt to hold the emitter.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 3rd, 2003, 01:56:15 AM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
A Scottish claymore is bigger than 1.2 meters, I'd reckon closer to 1.5 to 2. But yeah, a sword would need about a foot long or more hilt to hold the emitter.

Two... meters?????????

Nope

The longest claymore I've seen stats on was 135 cm. Anything longer becomes too unweildly and a different sword class.

Lance Freestar
Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:13:03 AM
two meters? That would be a sword hilt big enough for a rancor!

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:42:39 AM
I think he meant the entire sword, not just the hilt.

Silus Xilarian
Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:45:12 AM
Still huge though. The sword would be taller than I am.

Ezekiel Frost
Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:02:34 AM
I have a claymore that's an inch shy of 5'. Those things were massive.

Miryan no Trunks
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:58:50 PM
I've seen William Wallace's actual sword preserved in the Wallace Monument in Scotland. It was about as long as I am tall. I think the actual measurement was 6' from end to end, if not an inch or two longer.

It was big.

Xela Oxralad
Oct 4th, 2003, 09:00:42 PM
SO did ANYONE read that last post of mine. I'm abandoning a tech solution and goign with a giant RP to find a mystical solution.
So is the idea good or does it need some tweaking.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 4th, 2003, 09:25:01 PM
:eek that is a huge sword! William Wallace and the rest of those medieval people must have been enormously strong.

Modern people are such weaklings. :p

Park Kraken
Oct 4th, 2003, 09:34:28 PM
Not me, I'm part Irish! :-)

Charley
Oct 5th, 2003, 01:03:21 PM
Not when you consider how those swords were actually used. You drag them behind you and use your inertia for one decisive chop. They aren't finesse weapons, and you don't get a lot of swings with them.

Pierce Tondry
Oct 5th, 2003, 01:18:21 PM
Originally posted by Xela Oxralad
SO did ANYONE read that last post of mine. I'm abandoning a tech solution and goign with a giant RP to find a mystical solution.
So is the idea good or does it need some tweaking.

Way to go, moderators who posted AFTER this and completely ignored it.

I believe the idea needs a revamp.

To be perfectly honest, I don't like this idea on a couple of levels. First off, it feels cheesy, and by that I mean it stretches the bounds of coincidence past anything close to realism like you might find done in a comic book. Second off, I don't believe in Jedi actively wielding any kind of fire for any reason- Dark Jedi or Sith yes, Light Jedi no. Third, I really can't see a Jedi creating a weapons cache without an extenuating circumstance because doing so goes against what is supposed to be the Jedi mentality.

Those are my thoughts.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 5th, 2003, 03:29:21 PM
Originally posted by Xela Oxralad
Thousands of years ago the Jedi first began to use Lightsabers instead of the metal weapons they had once used. One Mster, Takao Hazan, felt that the lightsaber was an abomination and should never repalce the Jedi smithing arts. He used his master of Force flame to create a flame so hot that it combined various elements that could never be combined before into a mystical alloy that seemed invincible. He made a complete armory and a suit of armor from this alloy and tested it against a lightsaber. It managed to block the blade flawlessly, but never came into wide use because the Force fire required to create and mold this alloy, called Hazanium, was very hard to create, and none but the greatest Masters could ever hope to form such a flame. Hazan entombedhis armory deep within the Jedi homeworld, and threw the parts of the key to the stars in hopes that a warrior would one day bring them together and use his creations for good. THe Lightsaber became a basic tool of the Jedi, and Hazanium was forgotten forever, until a young bounty hunterfound an ancient recording of Hazan, so old that is wasn't even holographic, telling him it's story. He knew that his only hope to kill the man who destroyed his life lay on an unkown world. He set out to search for the key fragments, but there were others searching for the same prize. . .

Anyone who wants can RP the search for the Key Fragments. A Key Frag will be a puzzle peice like section of a large Holacron with one ancient symbol engraved on each peice. WHen the peices are combined it could sort of point to the world where Hazans TOmb is located. Once the world is reached the cube will fly towards the tomb and open it.

I think your idea sounds interesting. If Sith can make swords that are 'majicked' to be used against lightsabers and we've allowed that, there should be no reason that there cannot be a lightside solution to this as well. I think the idea is pretty good. Go for it.

Charley
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:47:17 PM
I'm willing to allow it.

Xela Oxralad
Oct 6th, 2003, 06:06:40 PM
K, well anyone who wants a shot at the big prize just RP finding a peice of the Prime Holocron.
Just remember that if you find Hazan's Tomb the weapons are on loan to you and you will have to lose them to me somehow at some point so that I can fight whatever Sith I agree with to be the one who tried to kill me once.