PDA

View Full Version : A Shapeshifter Question - Merged Threads !!!!!

Kharis
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:39:44 PM
There are two lycanthrope types participating in SWFans right? Garous inspired by White Wolf right? And the lupines (Van Dervelds) inspired mainly by Pratchett right?

If the answer to these questions is yes, is there any note worthy difference in the two?

And can the lupines transform by will?

Thanks, hijack as you like but someone please answer the inquiry. :D

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:41:59 PM
Garous inspired by White Wolf right?

They get their mythos mostly from tehre yes.

And the lupines (Van Dervelds) inspired mainly by Pratchett right?

Well sort of... it was more that the Van-Dervelds were based on something out of there, but I suppose the Lupines are more like the wofls in there than in white wolf.

If the answer to these questions is yes, is there any note worthy difference in the two?

Lupine's are traditionally Anti-Force. A lot of the Garou follow the Goddess Gaia / The Earth Mother.

And can the lupines transform by will?

For the most part, yes. Although it takes a bit of practice usually :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:45:25 PM
I have a question: Does the moon figure into either of their changing habits? And are Garou allergic to silver too? Heck, are the Van Dervelds allergic to silver? I know Diego's Van Dervelds are, but are Vega's?

So my question is, how does regular werewolf myth apply to the Garou and the Lupines?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:47:54 PM
Garou are allergic to silver - at least Xazor is. I've never mentioned Vega being allergic to silver, but then I don't think he's ever come in contact with any to know about it, come to think of it o_O

The moon doesn't affect Lupine changing habits - that's based around emotions really (like anger or pain could force a change). For the most part tho they have control over when they change. I think its only Vega who has uncontrolled shifts.

Methuen
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:49:59 PM
Um, are there any lycans here? or are they the same as lupines?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:50:34 PM
lycan = lycanthrope = a werewolf = a garou = a lupine

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:51:23 PM
lycan is short for lycanthrope which is...ta daaa a fancy name for werewolf, so YES, there are, 'cause both Lupines and Garou are also lycanthropes. :)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:55:37 PM
gasp

surely not!

*pushes LD into a conveniently placed mud puddle*

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:57:12 PM
Aieee! *falls in with a sploosh* >_<

Diego and s'Il are allergic to silver though. Prolly Vega should be too. *swims for the shore*

...it's a big puddle! I feel like Alice... :cry

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:57:48 PM
Diego and s'Il are verra different to Vega, Lupine-wise, tho ^_^;

that's why we talk about my Lupines and his Lupines :mneh

ReaperFett
Sep 23rd, 2003, 03:04:20 PM
Are they allergic to a person who is said to have "a silver tongue"? :)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 23rd, 2003, 03:12:38 PM
oh youre a scream

and i like the fact that there are different classes of lyconthropy/lupines/whatever on the boards. its like a form of interracial wofls

ReaperFett
Sep 23rd, 2003, 03:13:48 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
oh youre a scream
Thank you thank you, I'm here all week :)

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 23rd, 2003, 03:13:50 PM
And we all know who's top of the wofl food chain :smokin

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 23rd, 2003, 03:15:24 PM
well, i wasnt gonna say anything, but hell :)

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:02:46 PM
Lupines are allergic to silver and cortosis, which are the only real things that can impede their regenerative abilities. They form scar tissue that either remains or is cut away painfully.

Also, the creature Lupines transform into closely resembles a large vornskr

Anthony Scott
Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:27:09 PM
*Ditto to everything said here*

Yes, Xaz' is highly allergic to silver and in large doses, it could potentially kill her. *Gets and RP idea*

Hmmm......... :mischief

Lady Vader
Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:26:06 PM
:eek

She had an idea! Everybody RUN! Run for the hills!! Run for your very LIVES!!! :eek:eek:eek

:p :D

Alpha
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:31:25 PM
Xaz's ideas are normally fun. :) Need any help sis? :D

Preacher Blake
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:35:18 PM
Yes, go run with scissors. She'll love that

Jade Doment
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:35:28 PM
Um, Im thinking of creating another char here for Fans and maybe Meras too, not sure yet. If I do, can I just make her a Garou, or do I have to follow something to make her that way?

I know alot about White Wolf stuff, so Id like to play a Kindred basically if I could. Not sure what clan, but prob a 5th or 6th gen if I can find a place....lol

But Id also like to play a Garou, not sure what tribe either, but maybe a Bone Knawer or Glass Walker most likely....

Preacher Blake
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:37:26 PM
I'd insert some ranting tirade about directly bastardizing from white wolf without SW-izing things, but I'm sure I've done that ad nauseum already.

Jade Doment
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:43:20 PM
well, of course Id SW-ize it. Why wouldnt I?

Preacher Blake
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:44:30 PM
Some haven't in the past.

They're kinda like the new Saiyajins in that regard I suppose.

Jade Doment
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:49:19 PM
DBZ Crap? *shudders* I wouldnt do that. That is moding in my eyes. If I did the Garou thing, which Im still debating, Id would SW-ize it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:18:33 PM
Jade, get in touch with Xazor or any of the Dawnstriders, as apparently they have a pretty good idea on what makes a SW Garou...they're the only ones, anyway.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 24th, 2003, 01:00:54 AM
Originally posted by Diego Van Derveld
Lupines are allergic to silver and cortosis, which are the only real things that can impede their regenerative abilities. They form scar tissue that either remains or is cut away painfully.

Also, the creature Lupines transform into closely resembles a large vornskr

and Vega changes into a nasty big thing Crinos thing ^_^

Ardath Bey
Sep 24th, 2003, 01:10:02 AM
Thanks fo the input, thinking about making this nic a lupine from Aushwartzwald (spl.) coming from a noble house but a small one at that. Maybe a rival to the Van Dervelds or something like that.

Warlock
Sep 24th, 2003, 01:11:10 AM
(Vega)

Well I just made another family from the home world called the Van-Metzgers, but they will probably end up working with Diego's crew so.

Ardath Bey
Sep 24th, 2003, 01:37:15 AM
The former point in my post is very ideal but the latter is just me toying with introductions. But I don't know if I would want to be an enemy of the Van Dervelds, prolly suck... weak shortlived storyline.

Jandor
Sep 24th, 2003, 08:05:09 AM
Right, so if Garou and Lupines are seperate spesies then what happends if you cross them?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 24th, 2003, 09:19:03 AM
It's never happened, and isn't likely to due to the characters natures, so *shrug*

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 24th, 2003, 09:27:57 AM
Originally posted by Ardath Bey
Thanks fo the input, thinking about making this nic a lupine from Aushwartzwald (spl.) coming from a noble house but a small one at that. Maybe a rival to the Van Dervelds or something like that.

Well, the problem is that the Lupines aren't really a race, so much as a lineage of genetically-modified people. Its really been limited to House Van Derveld for millennia.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 24th, 2003, 09:31:40 AM
That's true. Traditionalist van-dervelds (i.e. everyone except vega) tended not to make anyone else a lupine unless they were part of the family, and at the moment the family isn't as large as everyone likes to think

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 24th, 2003, 09:36:23 AM
Diego's kinda been bringing a few Untermenschen into the fold, but really only so that he can get enough strength in numbers to kill Vega and company :D

Methuen
Sep 24th, 2003, 09:38:59 AM
But really, there's nothing to stop somebody starting a "new" lineage of shapesahngers now is there?

Daria Nytherciria
Sep 24th, 2003, 09:42:51 AM
No, I suppose not, so long as you don't call yourself Lupines and claim to have an association with the Van-Dervelds without first clearing it with the current lot.

Silus Xilarian
Sep 24th, 2003, 09:51:15 AM
Originally posted by Methuen
But really, there's nothing to stop somebody starting a "new" lineage of shapesahngers now is there?

I wouldnt recommend doing it.

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 24th, 2003, 09:53:10 AM
Originally posted by Methuen

There's also nothing to stop somebody from sticking a weed-eater in your underpants, either.

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 24th, 2003, 12:17:50 PM
Originally posted by Diego Van Derveld
Diego's kinda been bringing a few Untermenschen into the fold, but really only so that he can get enough strength in numbers to kill Vega and company :D

And how does one go about becoming one of Diego's 'Untermenschen'?

Preacher Blake
Sep 24th, 2003, 12:24:02 PM
Diego decides to bring you into the fold, and as a vornskr, uses his tail sting to introduce the genetic modifying retrovirus into your system. From there, you either become a Lupine, or die.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 24th, 2003, 02:05:44 PM
<-- lubs her sire ^_^

Gia Van Derveld
Sep 24th, 2003, 04:50:23 PM
^_^; *eyes s'Ilancy a little worriedly*

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 24th, 2003, 05:49:43 PM
no no no, nowdays its totally platonic

by the way, you and me gots to talk, bebe. i need to tell you all about diegos "secret spots" :mischief :D

Gia Van Derveld
Sep 24th, 2003, 06:06:00 PM
What do you mean "nowdays" ? :cry

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 24th, 2003, 06:23:41 PM
well, it was a while ago; back when i first got changed

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 26th, 2003, 04:50:21 AM
Somewhere along the line, I seem to have myself confuzzed. What's the difference between Garou and Lupine? I seem to remember there is one.

Crystal
Sep 26th, 2003, 04:55:23 AM
I thought the Garou were just general shapeshifters(like Odo! :D) and the Lupine were only wolfs.. but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong.

I think they're both the same with diffrent names o_O

Daria Nytherciria
Sep 26th, 2003, 05:02:30 AM
Lupine is a bloodline - only Van-Dervelds.

Garou are born into various glans and usually raised to worship the goddess Gaia, regardless of whether they are good or evil - evil-doers are Gaia's rage, and good-folk are ... well, good.

Both can only shift into wolves, although some of the Lupine (i.e. Diegos) change into vornskyr.

AFAIK Garou cannot make another person into a Garou. Lupine can, through the venom in their tails.

I missed lots out probably but I'm sure Charley will clear it up. Plus it's probably already said in one of the numerous Lupine threads in this forum ATM.

PS. Van-Derveld. There is no such thing as a Van DerVeld here :mneh

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 26th, 2003, 06:59:11 AM
I missed lots out probably but I'm sure Charley will clear it up. Plus it's probably already said in one of the numerous Lupine threads in this forum ATM. [/Daria]

Lupine are always better looking - and we R smrtr, 2 ! :cool

Charley
Sep 26th, 2003, 11:05:38 AM
Garou seem to follow white wolf, are a race of people, and metamorph into wolves, or some form thereof.

Lupines were once humans, but long ago modified their genetic structure to better evade the force users they hated and feared. It gave them a vornskr's sense of the force, but as a consequence, enough exposure can cause a metamorphosis into a beast resembling a large vornskr. This frightful side-effect led to their persecution, and the trait has existed solely in the aristocrats of the planet Schwartzweld, the Van Dervelds.

Anthony Scott
Sep 27th, 2003, 12:41:08 PM
Clarification:

Garou can change others into Garou, but only by dishing out a massive wound with the claws that form in their hands (ie: when changed this happens). Seeing as though changing for the Garou causes them health problems if they do it too often, we don't really change people into Garous. (A few of these things have been modified from whitewolf to fit our storylines more).

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 27th, 2003, 12:55:44 PM
Threads merged.

Anthony Scott
Sep 27th, 2003, 01:00:18 PM
Thanks Lil. :)

And might I add -- the only way that one could be changed into a Garou is if they gave consent OOC first. I don't go around doing it to people, and in fact -- there is only one person who has asked me (and we've yet to finish the thread, my fault though).

:)

Salem Ave
Sep 27th, 2003, 01:22:39 PM
Yes, and similarly I think it's a given that you can't just make yourself a Van-Derveld :)

Feliciana Devano
Sep 27th, 2003, 03:16:09 PM
Right, just like I asked you. :) *huggles Jen Jen* :D

EDIT: Or wait...you asked me? ;) :lol