PDA

View Full Version : Harold Bloom jealous?

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 25th, 2003, 08:19:49 PM
Not sure if anybody knows who he is but he is a English Professor at Yale and I feel he is very jealous

http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opinion/0903/25special_bloom.html

He has bashed King and Rowling in the past calling them garbage, and I think it is because the man knows he will not be remembered and they will he is becoming a pathetic person in his snobish comentary.

Darth007
Sep 25th, 2003, 09:41:32 PM
People change, so does their culture and language. You can't compare the present to the past.

Figrin D'an
Sep 25th, 2003, 09:50:47 PM
I tend to ignore opinion pages when it comes to literature, in the same manner I ignore them in reference to film. Most of it is ranting rooted in self-interest or personal ties, and tend to offer little in terms of true critical substance.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 25th, 2003, 10:23:33 PM
I agree with you there it is just Bloom just seems to keep it up maybe he likes to get attention to himself.

darth_mcbain
Sep 26th, 2003, 01:05:40 AM
I think you're right that he may be a bit jealous... And I totally agree with you Figrin - it is just an opinion. Now if he had made some decent, objective remarks without it turning into a rant on modern literature that might be worth reading - but he obviously is just out to slam some of today's authors.

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 26th, 2003, 01:09:09 AM
Well, considering the previous recipients of the 'Distinguished Contribution' award, sure King pales in comparision. Was there someone more deserving? An lost opportunity for deserved recognition perhaps? Likely, but what does it hurt to award King. The awards are given every year. So I can't say. But J.K. Rowlings was a marvelous choice, no doubt about that!

Jinn Fizz
Sep 26th, 2003, 06:54:57 AM
Stephen King has entertained lots of people, including me, for many years. The subject matter of his books doesn't make him any less worthy of accolades than other more "serious" authors.

As for Ms. Rowling, I'm a little more than halfway through The Order of the Phoenix, and it's the best Harry Potter book yet! :)

imported_QuiGonJ
Sep 26th, 2003, 08:59:22 AM
In his own day, Shakespeare was considered vulgar, common, and not very good compared to Marlowe. Shouldn't worry bout this man has to say, though looking him up on amazon, he has written commentary on almost everyone in the literary world past and present.