PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the dumbest lawsuit ever?

ReaperFett
Sep 25th, 2003, 03:33:52 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=493&ncid=762&e=6&u=/ap/20030925/ap_en_mo/film_gentlemen_lawsuit

So let's read this slowly.

FOX stole the idea of a movie that noone else knew about by adapting a comic by someone who has no affiliation with Fox?

...do people not research lawsuits these days? :)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 25th, 2003, 03:37:46 PM
Well they are probably just bitter. But still they have no case if they had wrote the comic book and weren't paid it be a different story.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 25th, 2003, 03:38:22 PM
And besides I am wondering what they are asking for??? The movie may never turn a profit why would they want something from that :p

ReaperFett
Sep 25th, 2003, 03:48:14 PM
lol :)

I believe Alan Moore holds the copyright for the League too, so they can't do diddly :)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 25th, 2003, 04:02:22 PM
Good point, as I said they are bitter that their idea wasn't used. They can't sue because they didn't use their idea, not really they probably liked the idea of adapting Moore's Comic better.

Figrin D'an
Sep 25th, 2003, 04:10:35 PM
There's no solid legal ground for this lawsuit. They're just trying to extort money from FOX by attempting to force a settlement out of court. FOX would be foolish to pay them anything.

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 25th, 2003, 04:19:46 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
There's no solid legal ground for this lawsuit. They're just trying to extort money from FOX by attempting to force a settlement out of court. FOX would be foolish to pay them anything.

Ditto. Maybe they really did have a movie concept involving some or all of these classic characters that have entered the freely accessible public domain. The simple fact is that LXG was an adaptation of someone's else work which coincidently involved the same sorted cast of characters. No legal ground at all.

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 25th, 2003, 04:38:47 PM
I wonder just precisely what their lawsuit states, seeing there was no copyright infringements or anything.

Can you imagine these blokes' lawyers in the courtroom, "Well, your honor, my clients lawsuit seeks over an excess of 100 million dollars in damages, over the film LXG and how it directly conflicts with my clients earlier concept of adapting Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Dorian Grey, Allan Quartermain, etc together in a script developed and proposed back in 1993."

:lol

jjwr
Sep 26th, 2003, 09:22:03 AM
This is just sad, considering the movie was based on the Comic then why doesn't their lawsuit include Alan Moore?

Very silly, gotta love frivoleous lawsuites.

Charley
Sep 26th, 2003, 11:18:23 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Good point, as I said they are bitter that their idea wasn't used. They can't sue because they didn't use their idea, not really they probably liked the idea of adapting Moore's Comic better.

Sure they can sue. Why couldn't they?

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 26th, 2003, 11:53:08 AM
Yeah but they didn't use their idea. And plus the movie might not even break even what are they asking for???

Charley
Sep 26th, 2003, 12:23:29 PM
Irrelevant. That doesn't mean they can't sue.

And even if the movie doesn't earn what they're asking for, if it ruled in their favor (which it won't), then they're still obligated to pay.

ReaperFett
Sep 26th, 2003, 12:31:01 PM
They can't sue because Fox didn't steal their idea.

Charley
Sep 26th, 2003, 12:37:43 PM
Sure they can sue. You're missing the point.

Master Yoghurt
Sep 26th, 2003, 04:45:45 PM
One can sue about anything. Winning, now thats another matter :)

Sanis Prent
Sep 26th, 2003, 04:59:13 PM
Correct.

ReaperFett
Oct 1st, 2003, 12:57:07 PM
Some quotes I got:

The suit accuses Fox of developing the project under its own title, cutting Poll and Cohen out of the deal, and enlisting Moore to write a graphic novel based on their ideas as a "smokescreen" for the plagiarized movie script.

"The similarities between the two products are so striking that there's no question that one has been taken from the other," the plaintiff's lawyer Bijan Amini told Reuters.
It's a shame Alan Moore washes his hands of his movie projects, because he could DESTROY them for these comments. That is slander. Where is their evidence that Moore, a man who has been in comics for a long time, would do something like that? More importantly, why would DC have done so many of them if it was just to make a movie out of?

I mean come on, mixing out of copyright characters is hardly an imaginative thing.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2003, 01:28:20 PM
And if that is the case why not name Moore in the suit??? I am guessing they would lose in a heartbeat if they did.