PDA

View Full Version : *Exploring somewhere new*

Hina Amaterasu
Sep 24th, 2003, 01:10:36 PM
*Walking timidly in through the surprisingly light doors of the Bar & Grill, Hina Amaterasu, fresh from being welcomed to the GJO, stepped off to the side, to take in the sights, sounds, and smells of this apparant Jedi gathering place..*

It's busy in here..

*She thought to herself, looking around at all the patrons, many i light robes, sitting around tables chatting lively with each other, some that looked like giant cats doing the same with accents she could barely make words out of, and some even with dark cloaks, sitting by themselves.. There were many others as well, but none that really caught her eye..*

*A few moments passed, as her eyes glanced back and forth across the bar.. There didn't seem to be any empty tables anywhere, and she wasn't about to just go up and sit down with someone she didn't know.. Perhaps she should just leave, and go to the living quarters, get settled in.. Yeah, she wasn't really That hungry..*

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 24th, 2003, 02:32:01 PM
Wei patted Hina on the shoulder as he entered after her.

"Fun place, isn't it? It sure is packed for this time of day. But no worries. We'll find a spot."

Wei looked around and noticed to empty seats side by side at the bar. "There's a good place, right over there. Better hurry before their taken."

Wei walked in front of Hina and pushed past the crowded tables, making a way for Hina to get through and reach a stool.

"Here we are. So, what do you want to eat? It's my treat."

Hina Amaterasu
Sep 24th, 2003, 02:42:21 PM
*Nodding as he pointed out a spot she had overlooked, and nimbly making her way through the crowd after him, Hina sat down with a slightly nervous smile.. She was unused to being in such places so crowded..*

Umm... What would you reccomend? I don't really know what's good and not here..

Preacher Blake
Sep 24th, 2003, 03:06:23 PM
Across the B&G, a pair of eyes peered over a menu, looking in Hina's direction briefly before returning to obscurity. The figure wasn't particuarly good at remaining inconspicuous, however...his massive figure dwarfing most in the bar, even as he sat by himself several tables away.

Hina Amaterasu
Sep 24th, 2003, 03:29:05 PM
*As Wei looked over the menu, pointing to dishes that he felt were worth trying, Hina felt a strange sensation, as though being watched.. Turning around, she could not see anyone looking at her. If anyone had been, they had obviously turned away.. Still.. There was one giant of a man sitting a few tables back, further into the midst of the crowds, who did not seem as interested in his menu as he attempting to seem...*

*But why did she feel that way? Who was she to judge what a persons intentions were.. It was just a feeling, she had no reason to believe it..*

*Shrugging her shoulders softly, she looked back to Wei, who was presently listing off what the cooks put into the Chicken pot pie..*

That.. sounds good. Thank you..

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 24th, 2003, 07:03:02 PM
Wei shrugged. "Ok, then. Chicken pot pie for you, chicken lo mein for me."

Wei placed the order before returning his attention to his Padawan. "So Hina, where do you come from?"

Hina Amaterasu
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:13:53 PM
ooc: sorry about the late reply =(

ic: Hmm? I'm.. from a small planet.. I couldn't tell you the proper name of it, the people in the community I grew up in just called it home. There were Jedi there though.. It was a really nice place, most of the people were warm and friendly, though as most of the jobs were farming-related, I was left kindof an outsider as I got older.. According to my adoptive parents, by my blood I should have been much stronger than I am.. though, I don't know what they meant by that..

*She paused for a second, looking down at the table in silence.. A moment passed, when suddenly, she looked back up with an expression that told that she'd thought of something else..*

Oh yes, I almost forgot, it was actually Jedi who brought me to the planet.. As far as I remember of what they said, I was born on a planet that was home to some really evil people, and that.. When it had been cleansed, I was found, and taken with the Jedi who were involved. They wanted me to live a normal life or something..

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 4th, 2003, 05:38:23 PM
Wei nodded. Inwardly he had grimaced at the word "cleansed." In other words, the Jedi had probably killed everyone on the planet.

"That was very considerate of them," Wei said at last. "And I suppose you wanted to join the Jedi Order because Jedi were the ones that brought you up?"

Hina Amaterasu
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:37:16 PM
*She shook her head softly at Wei's question and smiled..*

No, it wasn't the Jedi that raised me, and it wasn't due to a simple association, or a need to repay the Jedi, that I've chosen the path I want my life to follow.. I wish to be a Jedi, because I feel I could do more for the people of the galaxy as one, than in any other way..

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:41:55 PM
"I like that reason. So, Hina, how exactly do you intend to help the people of the galaxy?"

Wei turned to look her full in the eyes, giving her his full attention. Wei was looking for the usual attitudes that he noticed in the new recruits. Overeagerness to fight, arogance that Jedi could do whatever they wanted to achieve justice, things like that. It was easy enough to dream and have ideals.

Yes, it was good to say, "I'm going to change the world!" But the question of how had to be answered. And answering the question could be tough. But it had to be done.

Hina Amaterasu
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:20:00 AM
*Thinking about his question for a moment, Hina smiled and shook her head softly, an action so small Wei had to consider whether she'd actually done it or not..*

I couldn't give any definate answer to that with what little I know about the Jedi ways.. But, since not answering would be rude.. I intend, if I'm able, to volunteer what help I can offer to anyone who needs it, and to do my best to maintain peace within the inevitable conflicts that occur between people, so that fighting can be avoided..

*She looked right into Wei's eyes as she spoke, her face taking on a continually deepining shade of red as she noticed him doing the same..*

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:38:15 AM
Wei appreciated her honesty. And she was serious about what she said, too. "Your heart is in the right place, Hina. You are to be commended for that."

Wei turned himself on his stool so he did not have to turn his head to look at Hina. Then he propped his elbow on the counter.

"So, Hina. What can you do to avoid fighting in a conflict?"

Hina Amaterasu
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:28:58 PM
You can talk people through it, use logic to try and help each party understand the cause of their differences, and from there, communicate a solution to the problems, be it a compromise or whatever.. You can seperate people in a conflict, give them time to cool down.. And I've heard that a Jedi is able to directly effect someone's emotions, causing them to calm down through the force alone..

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:23:45 PM
Wei nodded. "Jedi can use the Force to influence people, but I am of the belief that forcing a person calm down or see things one way or another is wrong. Even if it's for the person's own good. They have to want to change."

Wei paused a moment, gathering his thoughts before he asked Hina another question. "You say that we can 'talk people through it.' And then we communicate to them a solution. But communication is a two-way thing, don't you think? We talk, but we also listen. Conflicts happen because of a lack of communication."

Wei paused. "Think about it, Hina. Every argument that I can remember happens because two people have different viewpoints and will not listen to what the other person has to say. So what exactly causes the conflicts, based on what I just said?"

Hina Amaterasu
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:33:46 PM
Differance of opinion.. And opinion is something unique to every individual. I understand that not everyone will be willing to listen to the other side make their own case, but that is because it's very hard to do so, without actively sounding like you feel yourself right.. What would help most conflicts, would be if each side were able to hear the opposing ideas, in a neutral form.. To understand precisely why the others feel the way they do..

*It was odd.. Normally she was neither this articulate, nor this open with her thoughts..*

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:51:48 PM
Wei raised an eyebrow. "Pardon?"

Wei had no idea what Hina had just said. He hoped what she said boiled down to "Not listening causes conflicts," but Wei wanted to make sure she discovered these things on her own. Wei would only guide her, not give her the answers.

Hina Amaterasu
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:19:11 PM
*Blushing, Hina thought rapidly, trying to figure a way to say the same, but in easier to understand terms.. She had not even considered that it might not make sense as the lot poured from her lips..*

Basically.. I just mean that people in conflict with another aren't often able to communicate to each other how they feel, without sounding self-important, and at the same time, the people listening usually don't appreciate hearing what they think, contradicted.. What's needed is someone who can mediate the issues well.. Help everyone understand why the others think how they do, in hopes that through understanding will come acceptance, and through acceptance, compromise..

*She didn't think that she'd explained it any better this time, but in truth, she couldn't think of a less elaborate way to explain her feelings on this matter..*

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 8th, 2003, 01:09:27 PM
Wei nodded. "Ok, so what you are saying is that two people in an argument cannot reason with each other and must have someone to tell the other person his or her viewpoint."

Hina Amaterasu
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:48:59 PM
Yes, but it's not like that's always the case..

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 9th, 2003, 01:55:10 PM
"It sure isn't. Sometimes there will be only one person with a problem, and they threatening to become very violent. How do you handle such a person?"

Wei was surprised at Hina. As much as she appeared to be quiet and shy, she could be very bold and stand her ground when she needed to. It was very impressive indeed.

Hina Amaterasu
Oct 9th, 2003, 06:49:41 PM
*Her face took on a quizzicle expression for a moment, unsure what the scenario would be where a person would have a problem with no second party involved.. What would the problem be with?*

I would.. Listen to them, find out what's wrong without talking down to them, and.. doing my best to make it seem like it's their idea, get them to open up, and help them find a better way to work out whatever problem it is that's infuriating them so much..

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 11th, 2003, 10:04:55 PM
"What's their idea? Are you talking about them having a problem. Cause if you are, then you're wasting their time. They know that their problem is their idea. Or do you mean that you would try to trick them into thinking that your viewpoint is theirs?"

Wei leaned forward and put his palms together, intertwining his fingers as he did so.

"Jedi are not about tricking and decieving, Hina. You are correct. We do listen to them, and we do try to find out why they are upset. And we can do it by asking questions. By being interested and caring about their well being. And we do try to show them an alternative solution to their problem other than violence. But we cannot make them accept our solution."

Hina Amaterasu
Oct 12th, 2003, 02:13:45 AM
No.. I know that it would be wrong to force my ideas on someone in such a situation, or any.. What I meant by that, was that in my experience, people whose problem seems to stem within themselves, often believe that they'd be happier carrying on and such, than being helped.. They don't want to calm down, and if it seems like you're actively trying to make them cool down, they can take it like you're looking down on them.. As if you feel that they're nothing more than a child throwing a temper-tantrum.. All I meant was that I would listen and discuss in as civil and understanding a manner as I could, instead of an approach that would make them feel like I thought they were wrong ..

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 13th, 2003, 06:37:03 PM
"Good. But, suppose a person is angry or upset and attacks you or someone else before you can ask them what is wrong? What do you do then?"

Hina Amaterasu
Oct 14th, 2003, 02:00:08 AM
Well.... I would try to disarm or neutralize them as best I could, with as little violence as possible..

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 14th, 2003, 02:55:11 PM
"And how do you plan to do that?"

The girl was on the right track, but she wasn't going anywhere. Naturally Wei appreciated her desire to find a non-violent solution to a problem. But there were several solutions. Some used tranquilizer darts, others used a quick hit to the head, some opted to cut off the person's hands...the list was pretty long, and all of the different options involved some fast, simple solution that essentially involved little "violence" depending on the outlook of the person.

"Hina, what is your definition of violence?"

Hina Amaterasu
Oct 14th, 2003, 11:34:06 PM
My definition of violence?

*She thought on it for a moment, before nodding to herself and replying..*

Violence is any act born with the intent of causing damage or harm.. I would stop them by defending against their strikes, and using their momentum to bring them to the ground. Not in an attempt to hurt them, but in an attempt to dissuade them from continuing their attack.. After all, if each blow they make results in them ending up on their backs, even the most stubborn would realize soon that their rage is futile..

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 15th, 2003, 01:16:41 PM
"Ah. Not a bad trick."

Wei became very silent as he thought about the conversation so far. Hina seemed to be very much on the same page as Wei. There was really no point to continue the current discussion anymore.

"So, Hina, are there any questions you would like to ask me?"

Hina Amaterasu
Oct 15th, 2003, 02:38:17 PM
Well..

*She glanced over at one of the server-droids that seemed to be making it's way towards them through the crowds, and then back to Wei..*

I would be happy to learn as much about the force as you could teach.. All I know is that it's like a type of magic, an energy that lets people who know how to control it, do amazing tricks..

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:18:51 PM
"I intend to teach you a good bit of basic Force techniques. But the Force is no mere magic. To control the Force is to control the very essence that holds the universe together. The Force is not a tangible thing, Hina. It exists in everything. You. Me. The stools we are sitting on."

Wei waved the serving droid away when it beeped at him for his order. Wei was not hungry. "Some people argue about whether or not there is such a thing as the Force. These people are not impressed by floating objects. Let me tell you something right now, Hina. The Force shapes the universe. It is not part of reality, but it is reality. To say that the Force exists is to make it an element of reality. The Force is not elemental. It is. And we as Jedi, and even Dark Jedi and Sith cannot hope to gain total control over the Force, or even begin to comprehend it fully."

Wei pushed up his glasses and cleared his throat. "To control the Force is to hold the keys to your reality in the palm of your hand, Hina. Take care not to abuse that gift."

Hina Amaterasu
Nov 27th, 2003, 01:52:51 AM
*Simply nodding, Hina glanced down at the meal that the server droid had put down in front of her before being waved off, with a look for just a fraction of a moment, of non-recognition. She had forgotten completely that she'd ordered food, and while she had been hungry at the time, it seemed so very paled in importance, when compared to the conversation she was having.. Looking up again, she replied..*

So the force is, generally speaking, the laws of the universe.. The laws of physics and dimensions and such control our world, but the laws of the force control those laws....?

*She wasn't sure if she'd gotten across quite what she meant, and judging from her luck at that so far during their conversation, she would not have been surprised at all if she had not..*

OOC: sorry.. have had very little time recently for being online, unaided by an inability to think of something good to reply to that with ;_;

Wei Wu Wei
Nov 30th, 2003, 06:16:47 PM
"I would say so."

Wei took a forkful of food and chewed it while he thought up the lesson plans for her training.

Hina Amaterasu
Dec 1st, 2003, 01:52:25 AM
I see..

*She spoke the words in a voice that trailed off, explaining clearly that she suddenly had something to think about.. A few moments passed, her food passing through them untouched, before she added..*

It seems to me that such a powerful source of control in the universe should not really be one for anything living within it's grasp to have power over..

*Her eyes stared directly into Wei's as she spoke..*

However.. Knowing fully well that if such a power could be taken for good, it could be taken with greater ease for evil, I supposse harnessing it for the purpose of removing those who Would use it for darker causes, could be worth it..

*It was simply a matter of ends justifiying the means in her mind.. She felt that while no-one should have so much power, using the power to stop those who would miswield it would indeed be justified..*

Wei Wu Wei
Dec 1st, 2003, 01:45:44 PM
Wei paused in his musings for a moment, considering Hina's words.

"Hina, it is indeed worth the effort to try to eradicate all the evil from the universe. However, we must be very careful in our methods. We cannot do whatever we wish simply because our cause is good. If a person is trying to exterminate a single mouse that has take residence in the walls, she would not burn her entire house down just to get rid of it."

Wei took a sip of his drink and went on. "Burning down the house would get rid of the rodent, but it would cause far greater harm than it would cause good. Where would the residents of the house go? In ridding the world of one evil, another greater evil has arisen, you see. Be always careful of what you do."

Hina Amaterasu
Dec 1st, 2003, 02:15:17 PM
*Hina nodded lightly, understanding fully what Wei was meaning..*

Yes, it wouldn't make sense to drop down to, or beyond the level of those who would use it for evil, lest one unwittingly becomes drawn in by the evil themselves.. I assume by your concern though, that it can be difficult for some to see that border creeping up on them. If that situation ever arises..

*She looked down at the table as she spoke of concern, and her gaze had remained there until she paused, at which point she looked back up at Wei, her eyes meeting his again. A genuine, confindent smile lit up her face, and she continued..*

I promise I'll be strong enough to recognize it, and cast it away with the light.

Wei Wu Wei
Dec 1st, 2003, 06:21:11 PM
"Good. I'll be remembering that promise."

Wei quickly finished his food. "Training starts within a few days. I'll give you some time to look around and get settled before we start having classes. I'll send you a message when I'm ready for you."

Hina Amaterasu
Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:50:42 AM
Thank you, I'll be waiting for it.

*With a smile and a nod, Hina turned to her meal, miraculously still steaming hot, and began to eat quite possibly the best chicken pot pie she'd ever had..*

Wei Wu Wei
Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:30:27 PM
"Eat up. You need your nutrition." Wei chuckled and wiped his mouth on a napkin.

"Well," Wei said with a sigh, "I got some things to do if I'm going to be prepared to give you your lessons. Then there are some Council matters to attend to. Can you get back to the Living Quarters by yourself?"

Hina Amaterasu
Dec 3rd, 2003, 02:01:44 PM
I imagine so, the complex doesn't seem like much of a labyrinth, and I have a fairly innate sense of direction.. It always knows where I need to go and how to get there, even when I don't..

Wei Wu Wei
Dec 3rd, 2003, 07:19:23 PM
Wei nodded. "All righty then. Feel free to make friends on your way back. Most people around here can be found wearing the usual Jedi robes. I don't wear them because I hate sticking out. Behave yourself and I'll see you in a few days."

Hina Amaterasu
Dec 4th, 2003, 03:10:09 AM
I'll do my best..

*Smiling, unwarranted nervousness lent it's edge to her lips.. It was not that Hina was afraid of trying to make friends or anything, it was just that she was not typically very skilled at it. That, and with most everyone around being more skilled and knowledgable than her with the force and Jedi ways, she wondered just what she'd be have to talk about.. Curse the art of small talk for forsaking her..*

Wei Wu Wei
Dec 4th, 2003, 08:27:02 AM
Wei nodded. "Of course you will," he said with an encouraging smile and headed out the door.