PDA

View Full Version : Furthering one's education. (Figrin)

Paegxis Pragmaa
Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:13:18 PM
I'm sitting up at the Bar, slowly sipping at a soda and looking over a book that was left nearby. It's an old novel, written in another language. I can't understand a word of it, but it's intriguing anyway. I flip through a few pages, wondering what it all means, when I get the feeling I'm being watched. Looking up, I see a man has seated himself down the row. He's the one looking at me! No, wait, no he's not.

"Um...is this yours?" I ask, sliding the book towards him.

Figrin D'an
Sep 24th, 2003, 10:37:58 PM
Figrin picked up the book, examining it briefly. He recognized the writing, but not from being part of his own collection.

"I'm afraid it isn't mine," he said candidly, "although I have read it before. I have a printing of it in my personal collection."

He got up from his seat and walked slowly towards the unfamilar person.

"You might consider reading it if someone doesn't claim it," he offered, placing it back on the bar.

The Jedi got the attention of the bartender, and ordered a Corellian gin. He took a seat as, waiting for the drink to arrive. Figrin normally came to the Bar & Grill to have have a quiet drink, and be alone with his thoughts. Today would have been no different, but when someone initiated conversation, he never liked to be rude.

"I haven't seen you around here before," he commented. "Did you come in on a transport, or are you just trying to find a new place to hang out?"

Paegxis Pragmaa
Sep 28th, 2003, 09:39:56 PM
"Just new...I've never left the house before, and this seems like the safest place to be," I answer. "The Jedi are always in and out, and guards are posted at the door. I figure this is the best place to find a job and a place to stay. Even if I can't stay or work here, one of the patrons may have work or an apartment I can rent."

Figrin D'an
Oct 19th, 2003, 11:24:13 PM
"We do get our fair share of the less scrupulous sort around here," Figrin commented, "so it's wise to never let your guard down... even with a Jedi presence."

The bartender returned with the Jedi's drink. Figrin swirled the blue liquid lightly before taking a healthy glup.

"You may want to ask the bartender about a job. There is usually something available... in the kitchen or serving or the like," he continued. "If that is the sort of thing you were looking for."

Paegxis Pragmaa
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:37:07 PM
"I can do that! I taught myself to cook when I was in high school!"

Here's a helpful gentleman! Maybe he can help with some other problems I've been having. He certainly seems like a nice, honest sort.

"Right now I'm living in a low-rent apartment, but it's in the shady part of the district. I always hear gunshots and sounds of fighting outside. I like it fine...its a nice little place. Everything works like it should and all. It's just that I've got no security other than the lock on my door. Someone down the row was robbed and couldn't stop the robbers. I'm just worried that'll be me eventually..."

Figrin D'an
Oct 23rd, 2003, 11:02:21 PM
"Unfortunately, Coruscant has areas like that, were law and respect for others do not exist," Figrin commented. "It would be preferable if you moved away from that neighborhood as soon as possible. In the meantime, you may want to consider learning how to defend yourself. Many crimes could be prevented if the victim knew how to ward off the attacker."

Paegxis Pragmaa
Oct 26th, 2003, 10:59:09 PM
I lace my fingers together and rest my head on my hands, staring off into space.

"If I could defend myself..."

My imagination is running wild. I can just see myself fighting off thugs, making a name for myself as a strong, dependable woman. It would be a useful skill, self-defense. Maybe I could even help others, like the Jedi do.

"That would be wonderful. I'm not Force-sensitive though...I could never be a Jedi."

Figrin D'an
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:22:45 PM
"One doesn't need to be a Jedi to learn the skills of self-defense," the Jedi counseled. "Effort is far more important in such things, as is the element of surprise."

He looked at the young women, who was rather diminutive and perhaps a bit unsure of herself.

"It also is a matter of believing in one's abilities," Figrin said calmly. "As a great Jedi Master once said, Do... or Do Not. There is no try."

Paegxis Pragmaa
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:20:45 PM
"Um...Yoda, isn't he?" I ask timidly. "I...I'd like to learn self-defense. I don't think I'm strong enough to fight people with just my hands though. Besides, the thugs all carry guns or pipes or chains or vibroblades. I couldn't get near enough to them anyway..."

Figrin D'an
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:29:18 PM
"There are many options for defending yourself," Figrin explained. "It's mearly a matter of becoming practiced enough in your chosen method, whether it is hand-to-hand, using a blaster or wielding a bladed weapon. With proper training, you could defeat any such attacker."

Paegxis Pragmaa
Nov 12th, 2003, 10:48:40 PM
"Well...I don't think I'm strong enough to fight with martial arts..."

After a few moments of thought, I think I have an idea.

"Mister, do you think I'd do any good with weapons? Like lightsabers and things like that?"

Figrin D'an
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:58:15 PM
Figrin's brow furrowed, considering the request.

"A lightsabre is a difficult weapon to handle, much less master," he pointed out. "It's dangerous to use without the abilities the Force provides. I'm afraid that is one option that will not be available to you."

"However," he admitted, "there are many solid-bladed swords that are potent weapons, and can be wielded with deadly efficiency. Many of the basic techniques for using such blades are similar to those required to use a lightsabre."

Paegxis Pragmaa
Nov 24th, 2003, 11:10:06 PM
"That would be wonderful!" I exclaim, trying not to let my voice get too loud in my excitement. Mother said I have a tendency to squeal when I like something, and I've tried very hard to hold myself back.

"Most thugs don't have weaponry that would make a lightsaber a necessity. I'm sure a normal sword would be an excellent option!"