PDA

View Full Version : Question(s) from Mr. DotNet

TheHolo.Net
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:01:47 PM
This is going to be long so if you don't want to read and learn a little more about me than I usually share, just click the back button now. :p

I am pretty excited about something that has just come up for me here and I decided this would be an okay way for me to vent that excitement, maybe get some laughs out of your responses, and maybe even get some good advice too.

Okay here is some set up information before I ask my question.

This question is going to be in regards to my future employment status so I'll give you some slight history as to my employment status.

I am a victim of the dot com crash in late 2000 through 2001. I lost my decent paying tech support position at a very reputable company and have been searching for suitable employment since mid 2000. In more recent times I have been desperate to find any kind of work but get shrugged off as being overqualified.

Along comes an opportunity to go to an nationally known tech school to get some official Information Technology Certifications. This opportunity includes a paid internship program through the school I am attending.

I started the classes in July this year and have attended quite a few in that time. I have also picked up a few IT certifications and am in line to pick up several more. For those who may know what these mean I will go ahead and include what I have and what I am shooting for in the near future.

I currently hold two CompTIA certifications. A+ and Network +

In the next few weeks I will be taking my exams for CompTIA Security +, MCP, MCSA, and then MCSE, in that order.

Okay now to the situation that brings up my question to all of you.

Last week I was attending classes down in Denver (50 miles from where I live and not the place I normally attend classes though it is through the same school) While attending classes there I run into an old friend that I used to work with at the tech support job nearly three years ago. We start chatting and I find out he just recently refused a job because he had already obligated himself for another, while waiting to hear back form them.

My friend mentions that the hiring authority (the VP of product development) at the place where he had to turn down the job did ask him to refer any friends he may have that could be interested in the position. So of course I ask for the contact info and begin to make contact.

I try calling first, voice contact is usually a good way to start such a process as it is much more personal than email only. I get voice mail and leave a message (expecting not to hear back because that is how it usually goes). I go to class that evening then come home late that night and find out my VM was returned and I was asked to email my resume to the hiring authority.

Okay, I email my resume, describe how I was referred, and mention a little bit of my history with my friend whom they nearly hired. Again, this is something I have done quite a few times over the course of the last two and a half years with poor results.

the next day I get a return email from the hiring authority with a two question technical situation, geared toward software development, something I have never really done professionally, though I do a little bit of development type stuff here and a little in some of the side work I do in regards to web forms and interactive calendar interfaces on the web.

Okay cool, I ponder over the development situation questions for almost 24 hours and then write up a four and a half page Word document answer to the problems presented, and email them back to the hiring authority. I could easily have written more, but I felt that 4 pages to answer one problem and a half page to answer the second problem (very much related to the first) should probably suffice and not come off as too erratic and scatterbrained.

So I wait a couple days and don't hear back. I emailed the response Saturday evening and hadn't heard anything by 4:30 PM today. I decide to call and try to make sure that my email response was received. Again I get VM, so I leave a message saying I was checking to see if my response to the problems made it and leave my phone number.

Come 6:00 PM tonight I figured I wouldn't hear back from them today and maybe not at all, but low and behold just about an hour ago I get an email that says.
Mr. DotNet,

We want to talk to you.

I have 2 interview slots: 3-4, 4-5pm this Thursday 9/25.

Tell me your first choice. First come first served. :)

Thanks, Hiring AuthorityI'm a little bummed they didn't say how they liked my answers to their problems, yet encouraged that they probably did since they want to set up an interview with me.

I have already replied and said I would be there at the first time slot.

Now, one last thing before I pose my question(s) to all of you the SWFans.Net community. Let me describe what I was told about this company and what I know about their business.

This company is a relatively new software company that has a relatively new product. They make Anti-Spyware software (not free). The company name is WebRoot and I was told by my friend that he learned during his interview that they have just scored a big contract to have their software bundled with Earthlink ISP access software.

The work environment is supposed to be quite relaxed with very flexible hours, a very relaxed dress code, and frelling "beer Fridays" where they actually have beer available to employees in the office on Fridays! :eek

I would be part of the development staff producing DAT type file updates to their software with, if I heard right, weekly deadlines.

So my question(s) to you:

How should I dress for the interview?
What type of demeanor do you think would be best to land the job?
Do you have any other advice?

I need a job like the USA needs a new president. (at least IMO ;))

Sanis Prent
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:13:30 PM
1. Business formal. It really never hurts to start "high". Thats just a small way of saying you're serious about wanting the job. Not saying you have to dress to the nines, Wall Street style, but I'd suggest a suit, shirt, and tie. Try a blue tie...its statistically shown to be a good ice-breaker color.

2. Be yourself. Be honest, open, and most importantly, confident. Be relaxed, but don't make yourself at home or anything. Pretty much, present yourself like you do on the forums, and that should be excellent. They want to know you mean business, but they also don't want you to be a bland, zero-personality automaton. Just remember that confidence is the key to winning people over. Even if you don't know about something, let them know that you're going to find out.

3. Don't get complacent. From working in the industry before, you should know that you have zero job security. Strike that, you have negative job security. Aside from the dot-com bubble bursting, we're now in an age when real-time global communication is improving rapidly. These types of jobs can be outsourced to India for the price of a cup of rice and a few rupees on the side. Software market is getting saturated, so stay on top of your game, but don't make any long-term plans just yet.

4. Bring me to the office on Free Beer Fridays

Figrin D'an
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:23:35 PM
I know how you feel. I've been looking for a different job for more than a year now. It's difficult in just about every field right now.

'k... opinions...

Dress: If it's a relaxed dress code, go with slightly above business casual attire or maybe a blazer. A full suit might be overkill in this situation.

Demeanor: Relaxed, but not sloppy casual, and confident. I've found that being overly eager can backfire, but being too laid back can make the interviewer think you aren't serious about wanting the job. So, kinda in-between is what to go for, IMO.

Other advice: Don't be afraid to admit you don't know the answer to something, but also say that you'd love to have the opportunity to figure it out.

Good luck, man. I hope you get the job. :)

This reminds me... I've got a couple of cover letters to write...

Brielle Acaana
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:30:52 PM
I absolutely agree with Charley 100%! Let them see you at nothing less than your best.

*HUGS!!! Im keeping my fingers crossed for you, hun!!

(btw, you can give my beer to Chuck :))

Zasz Grimm
Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:07:40 PM
Charley pretty much summed it up easily enough. Be like you are officially here...And you will rock. Good luck, Ogre. :)

We want to talk to you.

I thought this was a big boost. They came out and said they wanted to talk to you. Instead of saying.."Yeah, sure, come in, we'll talk."

Once again, good luck to ya.

Taylor Millard
Sep 23rd, 2003, 11:42:48 PM
Both Figrin and Charley were spot on.
Good luck Ogre :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 24th, 2003, 12:12:33 AM
I always frell up interviews. Charley and Figrin seem to know what they're talking about, however. :):thumbup Break a leg!!

Silus Xilarian
Sep 24th, 2003, 12:56:18 AM
I agree, the tips given here R sound........Very best of luck dude ^_^

Ardath Bey
Sep 24th, 2003, 01:31:13 AM
Wish you the best of luck and please share with us how the interview went. Oh yeah, always come prepared, dress professional and don't forget the pen, remain formally enthusiastic and friendly but never pushy or lingering.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 24th, 2003, 05:52:24 AM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
1. Business formal. It really never hurts to start "high". Thats just a small way of saying you're serious about wanting the job. Not saying you have to dress to the nines, Wall Street style, but I'd suggest a suit, shirt, and tie. Try a blue tie...its statistically shown to be a good ice-breaker color.

2. Be yourself. Be honest, open, and most importantly, confident. Be relaxed, but don't make yourself at home or anything. Pretty much, present yourself like you do on the forums, and that should be excellent. They want to know you mean business, but they also don't want you to be a bland, zero-personality automaton. Just remember that confidence is the key to winning people over. Even if you don't know about something, let them know that you're going to find out.

3. Don't get complacent. From working in the industry before, you should know that you have zero job security. Strike that, you have negative job security. Aside from the dot-com bubble bursting, we're now in an age when real-time global communication is improving rapidly. These types of jobs can be outsourced to India for the price of a cup of rice and a few rupees on the side. Software market is getting saturated, so stay on top of your game, but don't make any long-term plans just yet.

4. Bring me to the office on Free Beer Fridays I'd also like free beer.

Kelt Simoson
Sep 24th, 2003, 07:45:29 AM
Go for it Ogre!
Goodluck Bud! :)

Alpha
Sep 24th, 2003, 07:48:21 AM
They got the good suggestions. :) Good luck Big Green! :D

Skallos
Sep 24th, 2003, 08:17:23 AM
good luck. And yea, always carry a pen. Look smart, but not too old fashioned/stuffy. Just be yourself, dont be too suck-uppy, and they should love you. Plus, if youve got long hair, tie it back.

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 24th, 2003, 12:39:33 PM
I'd wear a polo shirt and khaki pants. And probably my "church shoes." You know, not sneakers, but not quite fancy tuxedo-type shoes.

Demeanor? Just go in there bearing in mind that you are at a job interview and don't sweat it about what the guy thinks of you. Just don't even concern yourself about it. And if you get the job, then great. And if you don't, well that's his problem for not recognizing how wicked awesome your talents are in the first place.

And say a small prayer before the interview. Pray for calm nerves, and confidence in yourself. It never hurts to pray. And even if you don't pray, I'll be praying for you. Good luck, man.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 24th, 2003, 01:00:38 PM
I'd wear a polo shirt and khaki pants. And probably my "church shoes." You know, not sneakers, but not quite fancy tuxedo-type shoes. Um, no. Seriously, bussiness formal.

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 24th, 2003, 02:41:26 PM
How should I dress for the interview?
What type of demeanor do you think would be best to land the job?
Do you have any other advice?

Oh, this sounds promising! You have your certs all in line, and job experience, and they want to talk to you... :)

I'd say before your interview, watch people coming to and from the building for a bit and dress just a bit better than the average do. If that's too time consuming/stalker-ish for you, then go with a standard bussiness formal. :)

Your demeanor should be confident but not cocky... You've got to sell yourself, and make them believe (rightly so) that they need you and only you for this position. Think of some ways to make your skills stand out, perhaps say that you run these boards and are used to fixing things in a timely manner... ;) But seriously, don't be afraid to say that certain things are what you do best.

Be sure to listen to what they say, consider it, and then respond. Even though you might have the answer right away, it's good for management to see that you consider their opinions right from the start.

And, of course, GOOD LUCK! :)

Dae Jinn
Sep 24th, 2003, 02:48:36 PM
*big hugs* That is such awesome news! Good luck, Ogre-chan. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 24th, 2003, 03:12:45 PM
Good luck. We'll all be rooting for ya, Mr DotNet :D

Pierce Tondry
Sep 24th, 2003, 04:40:43 PM
FOOOORRRRRR HE'S A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW, FOR HE'S A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW, FOR HE'S A JOLLY GOOD FEH-HELLOOOOOO-

-WHICH NOBODY CAN DENY! (especially job interviewers!)

Ogre, I think you'll do just fine. I'll agree with the people in this thread that business casual is the way to go because professional polish catches attention. You've got the talent and the qualifications; every one of us knows that from seeing how you handle yourself admining here. Here are a few suggestions of my own:

1. Be early! (five to ten minutes is good, because it gives you time to clear your mind and focus on the interview ahead)
2. Be sure to take a proactive attitude when answering any questions they may ask.
3. Be forthright about what you can do well, but don't be afraid to admit you're not well-versed in something either.
4. Be certain to ask questions about what kind of benefits the position offers, what duties you're expected to perform, and other pertinent info so you know EXACTLY what you're getting into. You might also ask about opportunities for advancement, if you feel it's wise.
5. Don't talk about the Beer Fridays unless they do. ;)

Also! I, Brian Sears, do solemnly swear that I am up to no good and that if you get this job, I will get you a congratulatory present!

How's that for motivation? Now, go get'm tiger!

imported_Eve
Sep 24th, 2003, 07:34:13 PM
Good things come to good people.

Wear a suit, or a suit without the tie.

Demeanor: (having been one to actually have met you) the only thing I would say is: smile. Maybe it was the short time we were around each other, but I don't remember you smiling much. But that could have had something to do with other things... like me, or the fact that you were working, LOL.

You know the right stuff for the job, so all you have to do is show them this, and be the guy they want to hang out with at work. Make sure they know no one will know the job better, and be better to work with than you. Be available and just SMILE.

And is the job in Denver? If you get it, I'll take you to lunch.

DarthHERA
Sep 24th, 2003, 07:35:20 PM
This is great news Oges. I bet youre excited.

I agree with the others too. Dress smartly. I think a suit and tie is good.

Demeanor - I just want to add, that in your mindset remember that you not only want the job, but they really want you in their company - if they knew you, they would know that.

The person who you are, the element of hard work and reliability etc that you bring with you is what companies need.

Whenever Ive gone for interviews, I remember what I have to offer that company - Im much more than just skills and that gives me a real positive and confident edge.

If you have that going on in your mind, that really helps with nerves etc and gives you a really good 'aura' about yourself that you project without even trying.

I know that sounds a little cosmic, but its true. Ive been involved in the hiring process of people (admittedly, not the computer industry) but people who emit this kind of karma are the people who get noticed.

TheHolo.Net
Sep 24th, 2003, 08:45:15 PM
Thanks for all the advice. :)

I wanted to go ahead and pass on a little more information that I was just given this afternoon. The hiring Manager said specifically not to wear a suit or a tie. So I'll go dressed on the upper end of business casual. As close to a sut and tie as I can get without one. ;)

And the job is actually in Boulder Eve, but still only about 30 minutes or so from where you are.

Lady Vader
Sep 25th, 2003, 02:07:32 PM
This is absolutely wonderful news, Ogies!! :rollin I can't tell you how happy I am for you!!

Everything Charley said is basically what I wooulda said too, so i won't repeat it.

Good luck and I sencerely hope you get the job! ^_^

TheHolo.Net
Sep 25th, 2003, 09:58:45 PM
Well...I think the interview went well. Out of the five people in the room, there was only one dressed as well as myself and we were dressed about the same. Dress slacks, shoes and shirt (no tie). The rest were wearing tennis shoes and jeans.

No news to report as of yet, but I should know more by Monday night at the latest (I hope) :uhoh

Pierce Tondry
Sep 25th, 2003, 11:08:00 PM
*Crosses fingers.*

TheHolo.Net
Sep 25th, 2003, 11:14:48 PM
BTW: The five people in the room, included myself and the four interviewers. There would have been five interviewers, but the VP (the person I have been in communication with so far) was ill today.

I sent a "follow up/thank you note" email to him, with my condolences on his being sick, a few additional questions I forgot to ask, and a little additional information I felt that I should have mentioned during the interview. (not so much as to overwhelm or bore him I hope).

Its tough not to be nervous and forget to mention some things when in front of four strangers and on the spot like that. But I tried not to be too nervous and think I did well and fit what they are looking for. It being such a small company (only 22 employees right now) makes me worry a little less about my job being replaced by outsourcing to India if I do get it.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 25th, 2003, 11:26:47 PM
makes me worry a little less about my job being replaced by outsourcing to India if I do get it.

Just ask Hewlett Packard staff about things like that. Unbelieveable that a company that got it's name for looking after it's staff could do that, in the name of cost cutting. Then the bitch in charge gets a new jet.

Riiiiiiiiggghhhhhtttt.

Good luck anyway. I personally like being interviewed by geeks, you can sell yourself on substance rather than looks and BS.

Preacher Blake
Sep 25th, 2003, 11:31:08 PM
Its all about corporate culture. Unfortunately, some companies do that. Then again, some don't.

Case in point, Synovis Bank is a nationally-chartered bank holding company, but when they acquire smaller banks, they pretty much leave the autonomic functions up to them. One of the banks they took over was Bank of Tuscaloosa. Right now, there are a lot of duplication costs that BoT incur...but they've decided against removing them, because they greatly benefit both the customer and their employees. Then again, when you have a 2.4 return on assets, I guess you can afford to take hits like that.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 25th, 2003, 11:48:33 PM
HP's corporate culture, until the time of Carly was very much pro employee - it is hard to imagine either Packard or Hwelett doign such things as are now happening in HP. It is now the case that Fiorini is now pandering to shockholders and damn the employees.

But that's best left to an employee of HP to describe how things have changed in the last couple of years. I did some work with them five years ago and HP then was a hoot. Compared to what I hear now, I'd say things have changed for the worse, esp the hundreds of job losses just in Aust alone, gone to India.

Preacher Blake
Sep 25th, 2003, 11:53:40 PM
Well, pandering to the stockholders is another matter entirely.

Kitty McQuade
Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:29:21 PM
what news??? what news???

TheHolo.Net
Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:46:01 PM
The news is no job for me there. They hired someone else who lives closer to their location.

Estelle Russard
Oct 3rd, 2003, 07:18:20 PM
Thats a shame. I thought you had this one, myself.

Pierce Tondry
Oct 3rd, 2003, 07:52:27 PM
You'll get 'em next time.

Brielle Acaana
Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:03:54 PM
You shoulda got it, big guy!

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:09:15 PM
That really sucks. You want we should lynch them?

Naj Arilov
Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:59:23 PM
Just remember....accidents can happen....You know where to find me ;)

Seriously tho, its a tough break, but there are more jobs out there. The next one is yours :)