PDA

View Full Version : Original Trilogy to DVD...here we go again...

JMK
Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:44:39 PM
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

In a nutshell, Lucasfilm is so pleased with how the Indiana Jones trilogy turned out on DVD that there is apparently some serious consideration being paid to releasing a 4 disc set in late 2004, right when the buzz for Episode 3 should be starting up. They also went on to say that a 4 disc set with one disc of extras is fair because there really isn't much extra stuff to put onto this set that hasn't already been seen a million times.

In my opinion this could be more concrete than what we've heard in the past. Lucas loves to have his products serve as buzz for his latest project. Examples:
• The 1994 release of the OT on VHS, serving as early buzz for
the SE's.
• The SE's, theatrical and VHS releases serving as early buzz for
TPM
• The release of TPM to DVD and VHS to help stoke the flames of
hype for AotC

I'm not going to hold my breath for confirmation of this, but it would be nice if they came out a little earlier than planned, like in 2006, or later if Lucas decices to tweak the OT even more.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:25:02 PM
*I* am going to hold my breath, however.

*plugs nose and closes mouth*

:) Would be nice if it would happen. :D

Figrin D'an
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:34:06 PM
It would be nice. Having the OT on DVD before Lucas has time to go back and change it even more would make a lot of people happy.

I'm not going to get my hopes up though.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:29:13 PM
What he might do is release a SE on DVD in 2004 and then release a couple years later some ultra edition (maybe even include the OT on it) of all 6 movies.

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 25th, 2003, 03:02:49 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
*I* am going to hold my breath, however.

*plugs nose and closes mouth*

:) Would be nice if it would happen. :D

Watches LD turn bluer than an kitonak! o_O

ReaperFett
Sep 25th, 2003, 03:51:47 PM
She looks like Aalya Secura.

...without the brain tails :)

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 25th, 2003, 04:08:26 PM
*checks his watch, counting down the seconds it will take for her to faint*

Those are brain tails? Ew yuck! >_<

Master Yoghurt
Sep 27th, 2003, 01:44:02 PM
What is frustrating, we have waited so long for the DVD release (supposedly because of all the extras) and when it finally gets released, its like.. only one extra disc? Saying there "really isn't much extra stuff to put onto this set" isn't very comforting in this regard. They could have released it years ago with no extras, and it would have been fine with me.

I'd say, release it allready and get done with it. Enough of the waiting.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 27th, 2003, 08:46:10 PM
I think he wants to do a commentary probably the only thing major he can do. I bet there will be some deleted scenes on that disk and some documentaries but everything will be post SE as there probably isn't much from that time peroid.

Master Yoghurt
Sep 27th, 2003, 09:36:17 PM
I forgot about the commentary. Yeah, I suppose that one would be a major bonus.

If they have little material, they could always include the Holiday Special.. :D

JMK
Sep 29th, 2003, 10:53:06 AM
Please take that back! :p

I just hope that McCallum doesn't get to do any commentary on the OT.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 29th, 2003, 11:49:27 AM
Who knows there, who else could Lucas get?? What would be cool is to get Carrie, Mark and Harrison (though I am not sure if he would do it) heck I take two out of the three.

JMK
Sep 29th, 2003, 12:04:13 PM
I'm sure he could get Mark Hamill (or Carrie Fisher) to do something. I'd also like to hear Ben Burtt do some talking.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 29th, 2003, 12:17:55 PM
Yeah he worked on the originals, not sure who else that worked on them he could get, maybe Kasadan? Kershiner could do the ESB commentary, the director for ROTJ is dead. There are some of the FX guys Dennis Muren maybe he was involved in all of them.

JMK
Sep 29th, 2003, 03:02:35 PM
Richard Marquand directed Jedi, but according to everything I've read, Lucas was always peering over his shoulder, whereas Kershner had alot more independance over the direction. I think Muren was there in 70's as well, he would also be good to hear on the commentary. Although I'm not concerned with how they did the effects, on a commentary track I want to hear stuff about the story itself and why they decided to go with a certain shot, and the things that influenced Lucas when making the movie.

Jedi Knight Sui-Gro
Sep 29th, 2003, 03:17:06 PM
Bring on the extras! Maybe the holiday special will be on it......

Naw i was kidding.

PadmeSolo
Sep 30th, 2003, 11:34:46 AM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
I forgot about the commentary. Yeah, I suppose that one would be a major bonus.

If they have little material, they could always include the Holiday Special.. :D

OOO! I hope so, since that was techinacally before my time, wasn't it in 85?. If I ever could get my hands on a copy......

*rubs hands together*

Sanis Prent
Sep 30th, 2003, 01:29:29 PM
No.

darth_mcbain
Sep 30th, 2003, 03:29:43 PM
Originally posted by PadmeSolo
OOO! I hope so, since that was techinacally before my time, wasn't it in 85?. If I ever could get my hands on a copy......

*rubs hands together*

I really don't think you want to watch that, Padme...

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 30th, 2003, 09:26:39 PM
It was filmed in 78, I think, I have never seen it I have seen stills. You can probably find it on EBay if you really want to see it.

JMK
Sep 30th, 2003, 10:05:18 PM
I've said it a thousand times, do NOT watch the Holiday Special. It will actually destroy a part of you. The *only* positive thing about it is the first appearance of Boba Fett.

Figrin D'an
Sep 30th, 2003, 10:36:19 PM
I actually have an .avi file of the Holiday Special.

It's just plain bad... most people would prefer to believe that it never existed.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 30th, 2003, 11:22:47 PM
The Boba Fett part is the only decent thing on it, I wouldn't mind one day watching that cartoon but that is the only thing that would interest me.

darth_mcbain
Oct 1st, 2003, 08:32:50 AM
Originally posted by JMK
I've said it a thousand times, do NOT watch the Holiday Special. It will actually destroy a part of you. The *only* positive thing about it is the first appearance of Boba Fett.

I also have a version of it .mpg lying around somewhere. I tried watching it a few times, and I could never sit all the way through it - it truly does suck. SAVE YOURSELF!!! As JMK said, don't watch it - you'll never be the same again...

txa1265
Oct 1st, 2003, 09:26:43 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
I actually have an .avi file of the Holiday Special.

It's just plain bad... most people would prefer to believe that it never existed. Of course, if we lived in the world depicted in Orwell's 1985, the Holiday Special would not exist, and would never have existed ...

;)

Mike

JMK
Oct 1st, 2003, 12:00:21 PM
Hey---you guys may have files of it laying around, but I saw it on the BIG SCREEN! :x

BUFFJEDI
Oct 1st, 2003, 01:59:15 PM
Tsk,TSk

I would advise anyone who has NOT seen it, to do so.It really is great NO matter what the others in here say:smokin But the singing we could do without. LONG live the Holiday Special;)

JMK
Oct 1st, 2003, 04:15:01 PM
As a moderator here at swforums.net, I feel I should inform those who don't know Mr. BUFFJEDI.

He is a sick and twisted individual. Why you may ask?
Well it's really quite simple. You see Mr. BUFFJEDI will have you believe that the Holiday Special is worth watching. His reasoning for this is simple: his wife is in it. That's right, he's biased. His life partner has a prominent role in the Holiday Special, and she is none other than....

BEA ARTHUR!!!!!!

So beware this man. He knows not what he says.

:lol

Master Yoghurt
Oct 1st, 2003, 04:22:31 PM
The Holiday Special is so bad, some people (like me) find it hysterically funny. Thats the only way to watch it. If you take it seriously, you will end up like JMK over there.. :p I have to admit though, it drags on for longer than good is, so I guess no one escapes watching it without becoming affected some way.. which reminds me, why are those men in white trenchcoats staring at me.. o_O

I am sure everyone involved into that show wished it never existed, so I doubt it will ever show up on any DVD. But for those curious to know what it was about, there is an extensive review with a synopsis of the "plot" <a href=http://www.teleport-city.com/movies/reviews/scifi/starwars.html>here</a>

On a more serious note, I am not sure I believe there is a lack of material. I am sure there is plenty of forgotten video out there, with interviews, edited/deleted and behind the scenes footage. It is probably just a matter digging it all up. I mean, were talking about what is probably the most popular movie franchise ever. There GOT to be plenty of stuff to include as extras?

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2003, 07:10:35 PM
Possibly, they might save that stuff for the super edition. I know there are some deleted scenes though where they are I don't know. I have read about some of them on the Net and I would love to see them (the extended footage of the Battle of Hoth sounds cool). I bet they will get added at least and they will be plenty of documentaries I am sure they can fit a lot on one disk.