PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's WTF?

Hapan Expeditionary Fleet
Sep 21st, 2003, 10:00:38 PM
Okay, like I mentioned in the I Survived Isabel thread, I am a Hurricane Nut. So I browse regulary. I came across some interesting information on the Perfect Storm in 1991. Long story short, Hurricane Grace formed in October, and was absorbed by another low pressure system that had formed off Nova Scotia. To put it in easier words, when you have a huge tempature difference where storm development is favorable, thunderstorms flare up. Here, with a 20 degree difference, they exploded quite rapidly as Grace was assimilated. The resulting storm was the Perfect Storm. But what happened to the storm when it died. Normally Extratropical storms don't do this, so this is why I call it a WTF:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/satellite/satelliteseye/hurricanes/unnamed91/unnamed91.html

CMJ
Sep 24th, 2003, 11:44:10 AM
You ever read the book? Great stuff man, I highly recommend it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 24th, 2003, 05:29:58 PM
Hey and they even made a movie about it. :p

CMJ
Sep 24th, 2003, 09:22:56 PM
No kidding. :p

The book really rocked though.

Park Kraken
Sep 25th, 2003, 10:22:36 AM
Yes, but the movie doesn't tell what happened to the storm after it died down. I don't know about the book......

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 25th, 2003, 10:53:15 AM
Um....after the storm died down it went away and disappeared, like most other storms? Maybe I'm just naive.

CMJ
Sep 25th, 2003, 10:55:48 AM
I'm not 100% sure since it's been like 3-4 years since I read the book, but I'm pretty sure it did.

Overall it was a very detail oriented read. Junger explained hurricanes, the north Atlantic fishing industry, nor'easters, what it's like to drown, the force of water and wind on objects, and the Coast Guard rescue teams...all in intimate detail.

Really a great book. I highly recommend it. Hell I might reread it. :)

Senator Thareena
Sep 25th, 2003, 12:01:59 PM
I went out with a guy who was in the movie.

Not Mark Whalburg, unfortunately.