PDA

View Full Version : JK: Jedi Academy full game (Split from demo thread)

AmazonBabe
Sep 18th, 2003, 03:57:25 PM
Ok, game came out yesterday. I got it. I'm playing it.

So who ELSE has gotten the game??? :D

Morgan Evanar
Sep 18th, 2003, 04:29:32 PM
Me. Seriously, I can't fathom why they included dynamic flicker. Its evil. I'm running a Radeon 9700 on an Athlon XP 2200 and it drops my FPS from 80~90 to 50 in narrow corridors with low polys. So very, very weak.

ReaperFett
Sep 18th, 2003, 04:40:45 PM
Comes out tommorow for me, getting it straight away :)

AmazonBabe
Sep 18th, 2003, 06:05:28 PM
I should put up pics of my blue female Twi'leck :D :p

ReaperFett
Sep 18th, 2003, 06:10:09 PM
Wasn't there an option for a human female wearing paint then? :)

How are the early levels?

ReaperFett
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:07:40 AM
Got it now :)

Only played a few levels, but Kyle cracks me up. You really feel he doesn't want to be there :D

And the sabre in rain effects? Brilliant (Dont remember them being in JO) :D

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:08:12 AM
and hows the character customization? what else can you be?

Morgan Evanar
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:21:13 AM
Dont remember them being in JO Swamps, they were there.

ReaperFett
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:12:05 PM
Ahh okies.

Character Customising is the same I think. Maybe some extra alien clothing.

The Sand Burrower level was great. Didn't realise they MOVED :)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:21:52 PM
I picked it up today, one thing I noticed from reading the book

Boba Fett is back cool, Can't wait to test my jedi powers against him :p

ReaperFett
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:47:40 PM
So far, I'm enjoying this more than JO. More fun levels :)

AmazonBabe
Sep 19th, 2003, 02:04:59 PM
Only played a few levels, but Kyle cracks me up. You really feel he doesn't want to be there :D

As my fiance put it... Kyle Katarn is the Han Solo of the Jedi. Sarcastic, witty, and with this mood he really doesn't want to be wherever he is. Or something to that effect.

ReaperFett
Sep 19th, 2003, 04:15:27 PM
The Vjun level is great when he's moaning about switches being 14 floors up :D

ReaperFett
Sep 19th, 2003, 09:13:59 PM
Finished :)

Very good overall, last few levels were very satisfying. And where else can you ride Speeder bikes in multiple colours? :)

Only thing I noticed was Force Grip 3 was WAY too powerful. The theory is dark siders can push you away. But if you move the mouse fast enough, they can be airborne way before they have a chance. One level I completed using only grip, mind trick and sabre toss twice :)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:41:31 PM
Man you are Fast I have just reached the Hoth level, which I love. I am going with the light side then later on play as the dark.

ReaperFett
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:43:13 PM
Light's better IMO, but there are a few cool differences :)

Aaron Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:18:59 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Vjun

Wow! It will be neat to see that after having RPed on the planet for such a long time.. without really having an idea of what it looked like

Morgan Evanar
Sep 20th, 2003, 09:10:52 AM
Its ugly. And the rain is green. It looked too much like a typical Imperial facility for my tastes.

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2003, 10:16:14 AM
It isn't rain :)

But the interior is better than the exterior, that's for sure. Some nice big enemies too :)

Morgan Evanar
Sep 20th, 2003, 11:06:04 AM
Just because its not water doesn't mean it isn't rain. It is rain.

The Q3 engine blows at outdoor areas. Its better than some other engines, but its no Tribes 2, thats for sure.

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2003, 08:29:42 PM
Ride the Rancor! :D

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2003, 08:35:46 PM
Or if you want to get more modern...

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2003, 08:40:15 PM
Oh, and for multiplayer, You can spawn the Swoop map apparently, with Swoops there :D

imported_Kanji
Sep 20th, 2003, 08:53:57 PM
I wanna play some multiplayer... :D

Damn 56k... ugh

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2003, 09:51:55 PM
Oh and for anyone doing the player model codes, remember this. You actually change INTO that character. You wont get any exclusive weapons they get, but you take their allegeances, force and so on. So Luke has a green sabre, maxed out lightside powers and no darkside powers for example. Some wont affect you, but some will. Change into a Tusken, no Tuskens will shoot at you :)

There is a code to change this, but not learnt it yet. Need to, I've found a very nice forceless character, who I want to use and fight with :D

Aaron Belargic
Sep 21st, 2003, 07:44:21 AM
wow how did you get onto a rancor o_O

ReaperFett
Sep 21st, 2003, 08:44:24 AM
in the console:

helpusobi 1
npc spawn vehicle rancor_vehicle

imported_Kanji
Sep 21st, 2003, 08:59:03 AM
What about the X-wing?

ReaperFett
Sep 21st, 2003, 09:16:47 AM
x-wing instead of rancor_vehicle. Space raises it. Bare in mind, it's fast :)

Hayes Muirso
Sep 21st, 2003, 09:30:41 AM
I can't get the rancor to work. We're still talking about the demo, right?

ReaperFett
Sep 21st, 2003, 10:03:22 AM
Full game :)

ReaperFett
Sep 21st, 2003, 12:27:04 PM
Played the MP Siege mode. Although VERY laggy for me, it was no end of fun.

imported_Kanji
Sep 21st, 2003, 01:21:44 PM
Has anyone tried the search for player thing to see if it works?

ReaperFett
Sep 21st, 2003, 01:30:29 PM
No, as I know noone :)

IIRC it worked fine for finding people in JO, so it should work fine.

imported_Kanji
Sep 21st, 2003, 01:33:26 PM
Well, why don't we find out!
I'm going to start a game, look out for me as SirKanji

txa1265
Sep 22nd, 2003, 08:40:52 AM
Reading the manual, one thing I was really looking forward to was using Mind Trick level 2 or 3 on a surface, turning off saber and walkign through a room of imperials ...but I never got it to work. It drains my force pool, but maybe one of the imperials is distracted, even at level 3. Does my overall level play into it, I wonder? I was only up to Hoth. I started again, new character (KelDor rather than human) and chose different force powers.

Mike

ReaperFett
Sep 22nd, 2003, 08:57:12 AM
I find that if you get a surface close to them, they'll all turn around. If you're fast you could go undetected, but I find it easier to use it in order to kill them all quicker :)

Course, I find it best to just use the trick on the guy with the biggest gun and let him deal with them :)

txa1265
Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:44:37 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
I find that if you get a surface close to them, they'll all turn around. If you're fast you could go undetected, but I find it easier to use it in order to kill them all quicker :)

Course, I find it best to just use the trick on the guy with the biggest gun and let him deal with them :) That's what it seems to keep coming to ... :( but I didn't like the 'control' aspect of Mind Trick in JKII - it seems like a Dark power to me - send my pawn into battle to die in my stead. I'm trying to go extreme light-side, and was hoping that mind tricking surfaces would enable me to go through rooms unnoticed.

Oh, well ...

Mike

William Belargic
Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:57:59 PM
I was watching my fiance play, and he wasn't able to call down the console by pressing the tilde (~) button. Is there some other magic button or is that the only one?

Lord Van-Derveld
Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:05:37 PM
It's shift and the button to the left of 1 on your keyboard (whatever that is - it's ` on mine) - I think.

William Belargic
Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:26:22 PM
Ah, you have to hit shift + `(~) key. Got it. :)

Thankee! ^_^

ReaperFett
Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:33:32 PM
I believe the key is tilde in the UK :)

William Belargic
Sep 22nd, 2003, 04:02:38 PM
Also in the US. :p

txa1265
Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:25:56 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
That's what it seems to keep coming to ... :( but I didn't like the 'control' aspect of Mind Trick in JKII - it seems like a Dark power to me - send my pawn into battle to die in my stead. I'm trying to go extreme light-side, and was hoping that mind tricking surfaces would enable me to go through rooms unnoticed.

Oh, well ...

Mike I've heard that people have done it successfully on other forums. I'll level up my Mind Trick to Level 2 (jeez that sounds like RPG-speak ... too much NWN lately;) after I finish the level I'm on.

Mike

Kack Mebuff
Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:06:29 PM
I can't wait to get this game. But I gotta wait 'til I get my new PC. Cuz my old one is waaaaaaaay too slow to run it. The only good thing on my old PC is my video card.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:12:10 PM
You might be able to run this game on your PC. If you could run Outcast, you should be able to run Academy.

Kack Mebuff
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:14:12 PM
I don't have Outcast. I could barely run Rebellion on my PC. hahaha!

Peter McCoy
Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:49:27 PM
I was messing around with the console commands, and came up with this screenshot. Quite a nifty lightsaber if you ask me! :p

(Don't worry, no spoilers in the screenshot)

ReaperFett
Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:51:57 PM
"Am I Jedi, am I Sith? GUESS!"

:D

Ace McCloud
Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:04:27 PM
tell me...is dual lightsabers have as bad movement as it did in the demo? Cuz the Demo is crap :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:31:13 PM
I like dual lightsabers it has some cool moves in the game, but they are hard to master, you have to be careful if you get to cocky using them one of those reborn punks will eat you alive.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 24th, 2003, 01:04:27 AM
I'm on the Ord Mantell mission how in the world do you defeat Boba Fett??? If I get in close he kills me with his flame Thrower too far way rocket launchers away. Man he is hard. One thing I hope he is avaliable in mutliplayer :P I've got to play as him.

imported_Kanji
Sep 24th, 2003, 05:10:24 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I'm on the Ord Mantell mission how in the world do you defeat Boba Fett??? If I get in close he kills me with his flame Thrower too far way rocket launchers away. Man he is hard. One thing I hope he is avaliable in mutliplayer :P I've got to play as him.

You don't kill him. He's like.. unbeatable... but anyho. Just keep running about and doing the mission objectives, try not to get in close.

Peter McCoy
Sep 24th, 2003, 07:21:15 AM
Jedi Master Carr, I'd advise you to edit your post - thats classed as a spoiler in my opinion.

Peter McCoy
Sep 24th, 2003, 09:49:48 AM
So you think Neo's "da man" huh!?

Luke beats him lying down! :)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 24th, 2003, 11:21:46 AM
Thanks :) I will have to try that now. Oh and I didn't think about the spoiler bit I was so frustrated with that level that is all I can think about.

ReaperFett
Sep 24th, 2003, 11:24:51 AM
I completed it by running. Just keep going, don't wait.

William Belargic
Sep 24th, 2003, 03:18:46 PM
Actually... You don't defeat Boba Fett, but you do knock him down enough where he finally gives up on you and leaves. My fiance actually stuck around and nailed Fett several times with the concusion rifle and lots of Force lightning. Eventually the man admitted defeat, said something about pity there wasn't a bounty on the Jedi's head, and then flew off never to return. So you CAN get him off your back... if you're persistant enough and good at not getting killed.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 24th, 2003, 04:29:44 PM
That seems hard Iw ill probably just run :)

Morgan Evanar
Sep 24th, 2003, 04:39:36 PM
Dual sabers rock. I haven't tried the staff saber yet. I do wish you could use the slow stance with the duals as an alternate instead of light. That would be a wicked switch-up.

I beat the game, Tavion was pretty easy. Look for signs of charging up, get airborne. Her attacks only seem to occour at ground level. The smash will screw you up good, but the purple energy is a giveaway. I couldn't figure out the stupid level, but just walk around the edge of the left pit and use sense. As for the last guy in the preceeding level, just run past him and save your time.

imported_Kanji
Sep 24th, 2003, 06:19:39 PM
Also, to defeat the Reborn/Cultist's easily, if there is a death-drop or long fall and you have atleast Grip 3, toss em off, might take a little pratice but it works. Easy.

^_^;

Peter McCoy
Sep 25th, 2003, 06:30:25 AM
Fetts right - Grip 3 really is the Uber power :)

Though my favourite tactic is still to use Speed and just hack 'em up in seconds. :)

Ryan Pode
Sep 28th, 2003, 07:17:44 PM
I'm buying it tomorrow. Its on sale at best buy.

Ryan Pode
Sep 29th, 2003, 04:09:24 PM
Nevermind. Delete this post please, thanks.

imported_Firebird1
Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:21:48 PM
It's a good game. I think in one way, it's too short. But the fact that you get to travel to so many planets, ride interesting things, and do so many things in that short time, it makes it a fun ride.

Verse Dawnstrider
Oct 12th, 2003, 08:01:22 PM
I for one was very unhappy with the last battle. I slapped her around like a Master Pimp. I only took 25 damage (I had no shields goin' in) both fights combined. I just w+c+attack1 her twice with my dual sabers and she died. I had way more trouble with the Reborn.

Shanaria Fabool
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:52:29 AM
I just went out and got the game :) and I'm having a BLAST!

I was having a heck of a time with the mutated rancor untill I looked at my objectives screen and saw WEAPONS WILL NOT EFFECT IT! after seeing that it wasn't hard to find out that you had to crush him wil the cargo containers

I so think that two sabers are better than a double bladed, I guess that may be because I love using the skill saber throw.

txa1265
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:29:10 PM
I did the whole thing Single Saber. This time through I'll try dual sabers. I tried using Dark powers, but it just isn't my style ... so I started again. Zabrak female ... she's quite cool. I like her voice, a bit lighter than the male Jaden.

Mike

Shanaria Fabool
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:37:16 PM
I'm using a female Twi'leck... the female characters are way better than the male ones... i also think the voice is way better then the male one.

Rognan Dar
Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:30:57 PM
Wow. This is disapointing. I have resently bought the game and in about half a week I have betten it already. I thought that it would go on longer then it should have. But then again, they would have to come up with something extra.

BTW, Is anyone interested in have a net match? I haven't seen what there is to do yet, but I wanted to know if people were interested in getting together and have a good game.

Tear
Oct 23rd, 2003, 12:23:15 AM
Personally i loved the game more then the last 2 in the Jedi knight series. Dont get me wrong they were both great especially Jedi outcast but Academy gives you more emersion...the feeling that your actually there participating instead of guiding a premade Katarn through his struggles. You get a story made for you.

But whats great if your a long time fan like me that i really enjoyed was partnering with your master and watching him from a new perspective.. was pretty cool.

Oh and for those of you who lean toward the darkside of things and have Force lightening 3...leave your saber/sabers off and give it a try...its incredible the feel of power makes you think of how the Emperor must have got a kick from zapping luke around.

Rognan Dar
Oct 23rd, 2003, 12:44:22 PM
Yeah, its cool to have Kyle with you. But sometimes he gets in the way more then he helps out. I love his comments though. Everything he says is some kind of joke.

As for the other Knight series: I liked outcast. It was the next best thing then. There was things you had to work more at. But as you said, it didn't thave that feeling like you were part of the order. Thats whats cool about Academy. You get to choose, to a point, what missions you want to do.

txa1265
Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:46:09 PM
Originally posted by Rognan Dar
Yeah, its cool to have Kyle with you. But sometimes he gets in the way more then he helps out. I love his comments though. Everything he says is some kind of joke.

As for the other Knight series: I liked outcast. It was the next best thing then. There was things you had to work more at. But as you said, it didn't thave that feeling like you were part of the order. Thats whats cool about Academy. You get to choose, to a point, what missions you want to do.

"This one's mine!" ... sure, Kyle, whatever you say [slice] ...

"You're joking, right?!?" ... one of my favorite lines, I wish Kyle said that in Jedi Outcast - I remember a time in Cairn I was facing a bunch of enemies, I just held my ground in light stance and they all killed themselves ...

Mike

Rognan Dar
Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:36:33 PM
I also like near the beginning when Luke and Kyle are talking. When you have those to together, it just makes everything great.

Chaos Alexander
Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:26:06 PM
I think the game is great. I have beat it with all three saber types, and I am torn over which one is teh best. My favorite move though is to be locking sabers with Dual Sabers. Just hit the Alt. Attack button and you use teh saber like a boomerang. It is so sweet......

Kelt Simoson
Oct 24th, 2003, 02:25:00 AM
Duel saber by far the best in my opinion.:)

Tony Maxwell
Oct 24th, 2003, 10:55:34 PM
Im about to beat the game, Im using dual sabers and dark force moves

level 3 force lightning is awsome against none force users, and here's a little hint for fighting lightsaber weilding people, use level 3 grip and move them over drop and let them fall to their death

Its sooooooo funny to watch them fall. ^_^

Sai
Oct 27th, 2003, 02:28:26 PM
oi

hehe, Jedi acadmey rox.

*shameless clan plug* yus, im in a Jedi Acadmey clan, if anyone's interested in a match or maybe joining, PM me. :D