PDA

View Full Version : SWG in Europe? Finally?

Dark Lord Dyzm
Sep 20th, 2003, 10:33:38 PM
http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/content.jsp?page=Galaxies%20European%20Release

Bound to happen one day.

Darth Viscera
Sep 21st, 2003, 01:03:33 AM
There's already plenty of SWG in Europe.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Sep 21st, 2003, 12:27:08 PM
They imported, like if I import a Japanese Game.

Darth Viscera
Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:21:21 AM
yup

Master Yoghurt
Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:07:56 AM
Yeah, I noticed they were selling it, but it is a bit on the pricey side: $91 in US currency..

I'll stick to my $30 copy of Anarchy Online/Shadowlands expansion pack for now :)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:51:27 AM
I wonder why they made it so expensive? Might be cheaper to import it.

William Belargic
Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:52:13 PM
Totally import. If Yog's did his calculations correctly (which I have no doubt), then that $91 would come out roughly to be about 60 pounds for the UK. That's not too pricey, but more than I'd be willing to pay if I were in the UK. O_o

Aaron Belargic
Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:54:19 PM
SOoooooo not paying that much for a game.

They will have to drop the price because I know people aren't going to be willing to fork out that much.

Darth Viscera
Sep 23rd, 2003, 03:22:02 AM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
Yeah, I noticed they were selling it, but it is a bit on the pricey side: $91 in US currency..

Is that the price after you add up the Norwegian import tax?

Master Yoghurt
Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:09:34 AM
Thats the 'cheap version' - the price you see in the shops with all taxes included. If I mailordered it, it would cost even more because of the shipping fee, the import taxes and fee to the Norwegian Postal Service.. :x

** feels like knocking around some politicians **

AmazonBabe
Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:16:55 AM
Hmmmmm... maybe you should enlist the help of some of us American friends? :)

We could get said game and ship it to you, probably for a fraction of the cost it would cost you... I think at any rate.

(Hey Yog... if you're willing to wait until December, my cousins will be going down to Norway to visit their daughter and soninlaw and grandkids, so I could get the game here for you, you could pay me through paypal, then I could send the game packed and ready for mailing with my cousins, and they could just stick it in the mail over there, and then the shipping wouldn't be so bad. Of course, I dunno if you're willing to wait that long.)

ReaperFett
Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:37:40 AM
The US version will only run on US servers and vice versa.

AmazonBabe
Sep 23rd, 2003, 11:12:21 AM
Ah, so there IS a catch.

Figures. :\

Well, I tried. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2003, 11:37:35 AM
But it would work Reaper, just be in English. That way Yog could play on Chilastra, and I guess he couldn't play on Chilastra on the European servers, I think I am right about that??

Darth Viscera
Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:04:58 PM
wHAT? Yog won't be able to play on Chilastra? Why in God's name would Yog want to spend $50 and then another $15/month to play a game that's the gaming equivalent of Plan 9 From Outer Space without his friends? Grrr SOE is really....errr...urinating me off. Stupid censoring thing.

This deal is getting worse all the time! I wish there was just one server. Let the devs handle the bandwidth issues, that's their problem, not ours.

AmazonBabe
Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:45:59 PM
Diff servers? Is that right?

Well, I guess it would be right seeing as how not everyone speaks english.

Maybe they would need the US release game in order to play ont he US servers?

ReaperFett
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:47:24 PM
The lag playing in the US is horrendous at times.

Master Yoghurt
Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:06:41 PM
Argh, I did not know about the server issue.. why did they split up the SWG community like that? Its the players who should decide wether they want to play on European or US servers. They should let *me* worry about the ping, language or whatever, and not force an unwanted restriction upon me. The phrase 'babysitting mentality' springs to mind. If I can't play on the same server as my friends do, 95% of my motivation for buying this game falls away (the other 5% is the SW aspect).

Good thing I did not order the European version, because if I had spent so much money only to find out I could not play on Chilastra, you would have a very upset Norwegian Jedi Master right here..

Anyway, thanks for the warning, Fett! And also, thanks to Amazon for offering to help me out.

I decided to wait for a while and think it over. I'm in no rush. Right now I am playing AO for a very low price. I am now on the free month after playing the 7 day free downloadable trial. One of the great things is how many players there are room for in one server at once (up to 10,000). It puts the 'Massive' into MMORPG.

ReaperFett
Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:20:01 PM
They split it up due to slight changes. For example, one version will need the various language differences. Plus, the game itself might be different update-wise.

And technically, if the player chooses the server it can ruin everyone elses entertainment. I don't want my game lagging up due to some far away players playing on the server "because they can". The amount of times I've been kicked from US servers of Counterstrike or JO for lagging up the Americans is large :)

Master Yoghurt
Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:05:45 PM
If the whole server slows down, its due to server performance, low bandwidth server side or bugged game code. When a player has high ping latency, it means he has to compensate for lag, and lead his target. Vice versa, it means others have to lead to hit him. The ping advantage also depends wether the hit detection is predicted client side or server side. Counterstrike being a fast reaction FPS with client side prediction is a *highly* ping reliant game, thus you have administrators kicking you for teleporting around with a 56K connection. In CS though, having the lower ping is a huge advantage, so I dont agree with the rationale of kicking high ping players. Finally, there are some administrators who dont see the difference between server lag and player lag, and they will just kick you for having a high ping because they think the server will run faster..

The above scenarios should not be as relevant for a MMPORPG like SWG. For example, in AO, I am playing on the Rubi Ka 2 server (european located) and there are hundreds of non European players from US, Asia and the whole world. AFAICT, there is no lag experienced by anyone. The only time it gets laggy is when you enter a small area where lots of players are crowded tight together (30+ or more). Gameplay wise it has no significance whatsoever.

AmazonBabe
Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:12:55 PM
Well, whatever the issue with lag and ppl complaining about it, I can deal.

And I'd rather have my friends from overseas in the same server as me so we can have some fun! ^_^

ReaperFett
Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:42:31 PM
Course, they might always do it where a certain number of servers are made Worldwide, thus giving a fair balance. You know of possible slowness if you go in some servers, that's YOUR choice.

And remember AB, most players wont have overseas friends, so that's negligable.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:34:52 PM
The lag has gotten a lot better in the last month, still it is bad in some cities, like Cornet and Moneia. Still if you guys like you can get the game from one of us we be happy to send it to you :)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:55:47 PM
Actually I was wrong this is from the SWG forums

Q. Will the European version allow connection to US servers and vice versa?

A. Yes. Once you install, you can technically play on any server you want. However, as with the North American servers, each server will be isolated, in that players on Server A can't interact with players on Server B.

So if you buy the game in Europe you can still play on the NA servers.

ReaperFett
Sep 24th, 2003, 11:18:39 AM
So why was the game delayed for over 6 months?

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 24th, 2003, 11:20:38 AM
You got me. Maybe Sony wasn't sure it was going to work in Europe, I don't know.

William Belargic
Sep 24th, 2003, 03:21:33 PM
Or maybe the whole releasing it in Europe wasn't a done deal at the time it was released here in the States?

It really doesn't make much sense why it was delayed, if you ask me.

Darth Viscera
Sep 24th, 2003, 05:36:47 PM
They should have delayed the game until Christmas, then done a worldwide release. It's still not done.

imported_Firebird1
Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:53:54 PM
Yeah, I'm downloading the next patch right now. Plus there is a major publish on the way introducing more stuff, content, and bugs to squish!

But that cost... $91 US DOLLARS! You've got to be kidding me.

ReaperFett
Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:45:01 AM
You'll be able to find it cheaper.

Plus you can't always compare things that way. Switzerland costs a FORTUNE to live in, but it's countered by people making LOADS there. Someone I know is doing a placement year living with his parents in Switzerland, and I believe worked out he'd make twice as much there as someone doing a placement in the UK.