PDA

View Full Version : A scientific Force question.

Inu
Sep 19th, 2003, 02:22:57 PM
I've had an idea for Inu, but I'm not sure if this is workable or not. First, it needs midichlorians, and I know that alot of people here have dismissed that idea as crap. But bear with me a bit, if you will.

Qui-Gonn says that midichlorians and humans are symbiotes, which means that midichlorians are living creatures with DNA. That means that the madman who created Inu, Armaiil, should be able to use his genetic doctor skill on them.

The idea I've had, and the question that comes from it, is this: Would it be possible to rig these li'l buggers up so that they would reject a certain side of the Force? Like how a person with type A blood can't accept a blood transfusion from a person with Type B blood; Person A's body would reject the blood of person B. Except it'd be with the Force: Inu's body would reject the lightside if he tried to use it. Side effects would be extreme sickness/coma/near-death (but not death, as Inu has alot more to do before I kill him). Does it work? Does it not? And if not, could it be made to work?

Je'gan Olra'en
Sep 19th, 2003, 03:15:43 PM
Well, those ridiculous Force scanners KJA came up with need to tell the difference between Dark and Light somehow...maybe there are already certain differences between DS and LS midichlorians. And that would certainly be a place for Kryatir to start.

At least, that's assuming that the scanners do work by midichlorian scanning/counting. *shrugs*

Figrin D'an
Sep 19th, 2003, 04:04:49 PM
Originally posted by Je'gan
Well, those ridiculous Force scanners KJA came up with need to tell the difference between Dark and Light somehow...maybe there are already certain differences between DS and LS midichlorians. And that would certainly be a place for Kryatir to start.

At least, that's assuming that the scanners do work by midichlorian scanning/counting. *shrugs*

My big issue with that concept is that it implies there is no free will in using the Force for good or for evil. It would be predetermined by which type of midichlorians are in a person's cells. Not only would this destroy a lot of the Star Wars mythos, but it also would directly contradict every story of a Jedi falling to Dark Side, or a Dark Jedi/Sith finding the path to redemption.

For Inu's specific idea... since we're talking about the genetic manipulation of one person, I suppose it would be acceptible. I don't really subscribe to the midichlorian concept myself, but there are people here who do, and as it is part of Star Wars canon, you should be able to use it as part of a plotline.

If others object to the idea, you could alter the idea a little, so that perhaps his body produces a chemical/hormone that causes him pain when he attempts to use the the Light Side of the Force. It's reasonable to assume that brain activity differs between, say, a Jedi using the Force for good purposes, and a Dark Jedi/Sith using it for their own gain or to harm. Maybe Inu's body is programed to recognize those neural differences, and then react in kind.

Just an idea, though.

Je'gan Olra'en
Sep 20th, 2003, 10:15:03 AM
Further thought...what if it's that difference in brain chemistry that alters midichlorians? Not to flog a dead horse, but...bah. nm

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2003, 10:22:38 AM
Originally posted by Je'gan
Well, those ridiculous Force scanners KJA ...
NICHT on the KJA bashing!

He was told to put them in by LFL. He was writing the opening of the new academy, so they told him to add these. It's our first official reference to Midis IIRC :)

Xela Oxralad
Sep 20th, 2003, 11:28:49 AM
Excuse the Newbie but someone tell me what LFL and KJA mean?:huh

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2003, 11:45:18 AM
LFL is the overseer of Star Wars basically. Lucasfilm Licencing I think, but I know it's LFL :)

KJA is Kevin J Anderson, writer of around 12 Star Wars books as well as many comics and the Essential Chronology.

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 20th, 2003, 01:09:38 PM
So, if every living thing is alive because of some connection to Midichlorians (and I hate the idea too, but I'm just thinking of something here) then what if someone developed sort of a biological weapon to destroy just the Midichlorians. Would people die? They would obviously not be able to sense the Force any more... Hmm. Thinking here.

Luo Vasst
Sep 20th, 2003, 04:41:26 PM
That sounds like an idea! I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. If they can be isolated, then they can be destroyed. I mean, they are merely single-celled organisms, after all. It's like killing a virus.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 20th, 2003, 05:26:17 PM
omg the Force is a disease

Zeke
Sep 20th, 2003, 06:31:06 PM
Yes. Yes it is. And seeing how there haven't been many/any objections, I'm gonna go ahead and run with this idea.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 20th, 2003, 06:39:24 PM
Personally I think it's not a good idea. :) But as long as it doesn't affect my characters, do what you want.

Zeke
Sep 20th, 2003, 09:29:58 PM
I don't see how it would affect your characters, as this is exclusive to Inu. I'd like to know why you think it's a bad idea though.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 21st, 2003, 02:47:02 AM
Because the Force isn't a disease? and I don't like the midichlorians, and like Figrin, the idea that they control your darkside, lightside tendencies takes the whole 'accountability' and 'free will' part out of choosing your path.

For your RP with inu it's fine, I guess.

Jandor
Sep 21st, 2003, 02:57:05 AM
The midachloreans can't be a simple disease. If they were then surley somemad scienist somewhere would've at least tried to isolate the genes that give midachloreans their force-takies and implant it into a humanoid subject.
A super-forceuser if you will.

Or what about removing a blood sample and culturing the midacloreans seperatley before transfusing them back into the body. You could boost someones count by 10 fold.

Neither of these things take place and so we can only presume that midachloreans are a little more ethreal then mere viruses.

In terms of you char, you could easily work the mojo NOT on the midachloreans but on Inu's genetics or a chip on his head or psychological trauma induced paralysis of the light-force (or whatever).

Silus Xilarian
Sep 21st, 2003, 03:44:43 AM
If its only a temporary deal thats being done in STing, then as long as all parties involved agreed , then you wouldnt need this thread......

Im assumming that this is something that will effect Inu long term. Whats playing through my mind right now would be some kind of moniter that would be implanted. and would moniter chemical releases in Inu's body, along with pulse, respiratory, and a few other systems that would deliver a shock when Inu reacted a certain way.

I can see cutting someone off completely with the force being hte easiest of three options. Cutting off from the Dark side would be next after that. The moniter would function something like a polygraph would maybe. This goes along with my theories on the force, which is basically, there is one big energy field, its the users intent that defines light or dark powers. Basically it would have to detect when Inu was feeling aggressive, malicious, any adjective describing the darkside, then be able to detect subtle energy changes to know when he was actually using those negative feelings.

Cutting someone off from the lightside of the force would be much harder, id think. Or maybe it would be easier....oh well....

Thats just my thoughts, very random thought due to the fact that its nearly 5 am....Yeah.

Also, as far as midiclorians go, Charley's Litmus test theory is the most sound theory ive heard on the matter, IMO

Zeke
Sep 21st, 2003, 10:18:14 AM
Ok, so no midi-chlorian altering would work, but a chip or something would be more acceptable to the community?