PDA

View Full Version : I Survived Isabel!

Pierce Tondry
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:30:45 PM
I hear about fifteen people didn't though, which is a bit depressing.

My family lost both power and water- the power we have back, but the water is still out. I'm pretty sure they're refilling the reservior nearby, so hopefully I'll be able to shower not too long from now. (Can't see or eat until I wash up :\)

There's not too much damage to my area, thankfully. No major flooding, and I think the worst that happened was the loss of a lot of tree limbs. I woke up at around 4 this morning (went to bed early) and I saw a lot of branches littered in people's lawns. They were gone by around 9, though.

Thankfully, this area really didn't get hit too bad. Even if there were times when it seemed like my house was gonna get blown to Oz, it was never enough to worry me. I know my mom is okay, because I talked to her earlier, and she's told me that her family is fine, so that is a load off my mind.T he coastlines I hear weren't so lucky- I've been watching footage of flooded and windblown areas ever since the TV was functional.

Kay, well, I really can't see at the moment (no contacts in) so I'm gonna go. Was going to try and post to stuff today. Hpefully I'll still be able to but if I'm not- blame it on the rain, baby.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:04:55 PM
I woke up at around 4 this morning (went to bed early) and I saw a lot of branches littered in people's lawns. They were gone by around 9, though. You have a tree branch thief wandering your neighborhood? :p

Glad to hear you and yours are okie dokie. :)

AmazonBabe
Sep 19th, 2003, 02:24:10 PM
Glad to here you're ok, Tondry. Man, that musta been an experience.

(Pssst... you should get some glasses for those days you can't put on your contacts for one reason or another :))

Quay'Na Rakai
Sep 19th, 2003, 04:12:16 PM
Glad to know that you and your family made it through okay, Pierce!! Take care...talk to ya later....:angel

Park Kraken
Sep 19th, 2003, 06:05:37 PM
I don't know how much total storm damages will be, but it didn't look like there was too much damage, compared to Fran back in 1998. I don't think there is even enough damage to be 1 billion total. Thank the heavens though that Isabel didn't hit with her 160 m.p.h. wind speeds, with gusts up to 195 m.ph. It would have been like Andrew all over again, except worse.
I heard them talking about the storm hitting New England.
There was a Hurricane in 1938 that hit, I think it was Long Island. Killed 600 people, downtown Providence was under 38 feet of water at storm surge, and it said that Hurricane waves pounded Long Island so hard that it set off Earthquake detectors 1,000 miles away that registered it as a 3.6
Yall were lucky that it weakened so much. Thank the dry air that entered the storm from Georgia. Hurricanes no like dry air.
Or dry ice for that matter.

DarthHERA
Sep 19th, 2003, 06:51:33 PM
Glad you and your family are ok. I been wondering how you been these last few days.

Sameer Aryan
Sep 19th, 2003, 08:20:31 PM
We're getting "her" remnants tomorrow....I'm still scared. And I know I shouldn't be.

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:14:15 PM
Great to hear board members living back east are a-okay! :)

So sad about the unfortunates!

CMJ
Sep 20th, 2003, 07:06:00 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Kraken
I don't know how much total storm damages will be, but it didn't look like there was too much damage, compared to Fran back in 1998.
Fran was in '96...Floyd was in '98. :)

I don't think there is even enough damage to be 1 billion total. Thank the heavens though that Isabel didn't hit with her 160 m.p.h. wind speeds, with gusts up to 195 m.ph. It would have been like Andrew all over again, except worse.

Looking over the damage, it looks to me like they severly underestimated it to me. I would not be surprised if it ends up costing more than Fran, or Floyd. They hit their respective area's harder probably, but Isabel effected more states. I do agree though it coulda been much worse. At one time only Camille and the '35 Labor Day Hurricane were stronger.

I heard them talking about the storm hitting New England.
There was a Hurricane in 1938 that hit, I think it was Long Island. Killed 600 people, downtown Providence was under 38 feet of water at storm surge, and it said that Hurricane waves pounded Long Island so hard that it set off Earthquake detectors 1,000 miles away that registered it as a 3.6

The crazy thing was..that was only a Category 3 storm...a strong one though mind you. Obviously I'm a hurricane nut, they've always fascinated me. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 20th, 2003, 07:09:42 PM
A Cat 3 in 1938 when buildings were not 'up to code' etc etc ...they're just lucky it wasn't any bigger:eek. Amazing.

CMJ
Sep 20th, 2003, 07:14:56 PM
I hate to say it, but buildings are not really built that much more sound now than back then. No one was prepared for the '38 storm...that was *the* main problem. It shot up the East Coast at something like 40 miles an hour - and was on top of NE before anyone even knew it was out there.

Park Kraken
Sep 20th, 2003, 07:15:34 PM
I think pretty much everywhere except the Georgia coastline has seen a Hurricane. As with most Hurricanes, it isn't the wind, but the water that is the big killer. Not so much Storm Surge, but inland rains can also do a lot of damage, like Hurricane Agnes did.
CMJ, I am just like you. My favorite Hurricane, as far as raw destructive fury, and beauty is Hurricane Gilbert, back in 1988. My mom lived through Hurricane Donna in 1960.

CMJ
Sep 20th, 2003, 07:20:46 PM
I'm a Camille guy first and foremost. That storm was just awesome....

There's a new book out on the Labor Day Storm that I think I'm gonna buy.

I'm also fascinated by Galveston 1900, simply because I lost ancestors in that storm..and it was the worst natural disator in US history.