PDA

View Full Version : Underworld

ReaperFett
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:34:06 AM
VERY good, if you remember it is an action movie. Good acting all round by a cast of unknowns generally (I THINK I knew two Vampires, and another was in Snatch, but dats it :)).

Not really spoilers, but I'll tag it JIC, The premise for the sequel could blow this one out the water.

...And it had one of the best movie deaths ever IMO :D

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:35:48 AM
:crack I can't wait. Seeing it tomorrow :D

ReaperFett
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:39:12 AM
Oh and the SFX were generally good, barring the scene in the trailer with the Werewolves running down the corridor on the walls and ceiling.

Phantom
Sep 19th, 2003, 06:37:16 PM
I agree, this movie was excellent.

Acting was great, not to mention I thought the main chick was hot and kicked <smallfont color=#FF0000>-Censored-</smallfont>. Also there was a preview of Resident Evil 2, which looks sweet.

Fett: Michael was from a movie called Dark Blue with Kurt Russel

Alpha
Sep 19th, 2003, 06:51:06 PM
Am gonna see itin a week or so probably. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 19th, 2003, 06:59:04 PM
10:30 tonight bebe YEAH :D

Unless I don't, in which case :(

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 19th, 2003, 09:45:01 PM
One review that I read in today's newspaper that was very biting and amusing all the same was written by Chris Hewitt, Knight Ridder Newspapers...

Billed as a werewolves vs. vampires movie, "Underworld" is actually the same dumb gun movie you've seen a million times. What were they thinking? One of the coolest things about vampires and werewolves has always been that they're are so smart and powerful they don't need weapons. But stick a gun in their hands, as "Underworld" does, and Count Dracula might as a well be Count Seagal or Count Van Damme, another dumb bunny with a full chamber and an empty head.

ReaperFett
Sep 19th, 2003, 09:58:53 PM
As the start of the film said, they've had to evolve. Also they are at war. Not just trying to live while someone hunts, they are WARRING. What sortof fool would expect them to war with tooth and claw? Get out a few semi automatics and the jobs done :)

And the Werewolves didnt use guns when they were, y'know, WOLVES :)

And to me, half of the coolness over Vamps and Weres is that there abilities make them stand out from a normal guy. They can use a gun, but can do more.

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:29:24 PM
I will have to wait til next week to see the movie, looking to see something hopefully better than Blade I and II.

BTW, on an unrelated note, wrestler Triple H is going to be one of the main baddies in the Blade III sequel. *snickers*

ReaperFett
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:34:19 PM
He wont do much, he'll be the big, rarely speaking type. Like Sabretooth was in X-Men.

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:40:34 PM
I don't know why they are choosing HHH when they could pick up a more trustworthy wrestler ... Rocky Johnson AKA The Rock! Now that would be an interesting opposite to Snipes, if only he could act. But a movie like Blade doesn't require terribly good actors.

ReaperFett
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:45:18 PM
HHH looks more feral than The Rock.

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:02:45 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
HHH looks more feral than The Rock.

True, but the Rock can look more sophisticated and/or more hip.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:41:57 PM
Just got back from seeing Underworld. It had its good and bad parts but the fx were very good, I thought.

I liked that it kept you guessing why both sides wanted Michael...that was interesting :)

Two points I didnt like: Selena driving through that frellin gate 4 or 5 times...got old after the first two. Also, I thought the movie was choppy in a couple of places. Other than that, it wasnt too bad :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:01:05 AM
I liked the entire thing, except for the way they killed Victor. It was too cheesy. The theatre laughed. Heck, I laughed. :\

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2003, 10:18:31 AM
I thought it was great, especially after what he did before that :)

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 12:40:29 PM
I enjoyed it, if only for the wofls :D

Me and my friend laughed when they said "Where's Kraven?"... we both heard 'Wes Kraven' :D

Mortaniuss
Sep 20th, 2003, 04:02:37 PM
I think the projectionist screwed up towards the end of the movie: It went straight from Selene looking at the sword, to her standing with a bloody sword and Viktor falling apart. It was a bit jarring.

I liked how they kept you guessing as to who was in the right and who was in the wrong.

Also, I thought it was neat how they didn't really abuse the vampire's powers. It didn't become some cheese-fest like Blade. You didn't really get to see just how strong they could be until Viktor picked up the werewolf by the throat and threw him aside like a rag doll. Still, I think it would have been cool if the vampires had a few extra, subtle, superhuman abilities... like extremely quick reflexes, enhanced speed, etc.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not a milestone in cinema, but it's definitely one of the better vampire-type movies.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 20th, 2003, 05:23:02 PM
sssseeeequel!

I'm confused as to what happened to the vampyre Marcus though. I know he's the last elder and he's to be awakened to rule the coven, but at the end it looked like the lycan's blood awakened him, and then his eyes went black, so does that mean that he just died? o_O Or does that mean that he'll be awakened and he'll have the memories of the lycan scientist?

Or does it not mean anything at all and I'm just being confused for no good reason? :p

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2003, 05:49:14 PM
I think it is like how peoples eyes go when they get Lycan munchied. It means the super Vampire has now got Lycan memories, so theres a SUPER being :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 20th, 2003, 07:06:05 PM
So he's on the same level as Michael then? o_O A were-vampire?

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2003, 08:18:46 PM
Higher. Michael is a crossbreed, this guy is a cross breed but part SUPER.

imported_Terran Starek
Sep 20th, 2003, 08:40:28 PM
Ok, I saw it yesterday, and here's what I have to say.

As a movie, it was terrible.

Did I like it? Oh yeah. :D But, it was mostly the lore fan in me that liked it, not the movie critic. Allow me to elaborate.

Goods
Was very fun. :D I very much enjoyed the set and most of the costuming, as well as the intermixing of the types of action--firearm versus hand-to-hand.

Overall, it followed good rules about vampires and wolfies, especially the utter physical dominance of the lycanthropes over the bloodsuckers. You could tell that the vamps were definitely nervous to get too close to a wolf in Crinos form. :D I would have liked, however, to see Viktor show a little more dominance and style. Sure, he could snap a wolf's neck with no problem. But I wanted to see Dracula! I wanted to see other vampires tremble in his presence. I wanted to see clouds follow him around, storms billow in his voice. You know, more style. :)

Nice take on the war between Garou and Vamps. I enjoyed the sort-of custom history applied to the situation, the whole wolves once the guardians of the vamps turned enemy via a bit of Romeo and Juliet style dogma deal.

Bads
What little plot was there was detached at best. The whole mixed breed idea--Vamp plus Garou was a good idea, but it wasn't developed enough. It was used as a plot climax tool, and just didn't grip me as strong as they might have wanted it too until we saw Micheal in action. Plus, the movie just kinda started without a very crisp intro. Lastly, the love story wasn't fleshed out at all. What exactly did she love about him? Why? Come on, throw us a bone here. They meet less than two times, she sees him save a woman, why does she care?

The accents and the acting were subpar at best, especially whoever played Kraven. He had terrible line delivery and his accent was pitiful. Viktor left a bit to be desired when he was first woken up, and he started with some kind of Cajun twang?? What was that?

We didn't really get introduced to anything or anyone very well, and it seemed that they were throwing names at us without faces for quite sometime. I don't consider myself a genius, but I'm not a total idiot, and yet I had trouble figuring out who everyone was at times.

Overall, it just lacked a very sophisticated style. The characters were too impulsive and unsatisfyingly-dull, and all these ancient vampires--some 600 or more years old acted like children. Like I said above, Viktor barely had the style of a noble, albeit one of the three ruling vamps!, and Kraven was more of a whiny kid who couldn't get his way with the girl. How old was Kraven again? 600?

Granted, chances are I might have to own this film, given my love of the "Underworld" as it has been coined. I think, however, that a real writing team needs to take a stab at the story for the next movie and shape up some plot and style. :)

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2003, 09:31:52 PM
and he started with some kind of Cajun twang?? What was that?
I believe the technical term is "Geordie" :)

Unless he put that voice on, of course.

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 09:53:52 PM
Since when do vampires hearts beat, as did Viktor's when he was woke up? And Selena almost drowning? Vamps dont breath, hence no water in their lungs.

Took a few liberties, they did but still...I enjoyed it. I'll go back next weekend to see it (*it = Scot Speedman :D) again :love

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 21st, 2003, 02:51:11 AM
I don't know that she almost drowned, we just assumed that because we 'saw him save her.' But he thought she was human. Didn't she say herself that she'd be fine?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 21st, 2003, 04:55:28 AM
I think Marcus is gonna be an abomination like Michael, at least that's what I understood.

As for the heart beating, that happened in Queen of the Damned too, when Akasha tore a vampires heart out before eating it (and it was still beating) so I'm not sure. There has always been a large number of differences between sources.

I.e. in some sources vampires are burnt by water, yet that isn't the case in Underworld :)

Originally posted by ReaperFett
I believe the technical term is "Geordie" :)

:lol
Heeeyyy!! *shakefist*

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 21st, 2003, 06:22:49 PM
Holy water, sure. :p But plain water?

ReaperFett
Sep 21st, 2003, 06:23:51 PM
"Aiee, RAIN! Run! Noooo, sweaty man!"

:D

Shawn
Sep 21st, 2003, 07:42:54 PM
Yes, there is some lore which holds that vampires are burned by water. Of the non-holy variety.

(cough)

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 21st, 2003, 07:47:47 PM
Or forbid crossing running water. There is ancient vampyre myths covering the whole globe.

Brielle Acaana
Sep 21st, 2003, 08:18:00 PM
Right :) I had heard before that vamps (and ghosts) arent supposed to be able to cross bodies of water.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 21st, 2003, 10:09:53 PM
They stepped over a lot of puddles in this movie. :uhoh

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 21st, 2003, 10:43:56 PM
Maybe what we saw wasnt simply latex...they were wet suits! :idea

AmazonBabe
Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:36:24 AM
It seems to me they kinda picked and chose what weaknesses to give the Vamps and what not to give them.

But I don't think they really changed the Lycans strengths/weaknesses. Those seemed to fit per tradition.

Oh yeah... and I REALLY liked the movie! :D:D:D
Definitely came away with a feeling there might be a sequel. (Though I don't know if that'd ruin it or not. Sequels are kinda a gamble in that sense.)

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:55:15 AM
Two thumbs up for a sequel (I want more sig images! :mneh) :D

Charley
Sep 22nd, 2003, 04:15:28 PM
This movie is fantastic. Aside from bastardizing vampires (what vampire movie hasn't, to some degree?) and the ridiculous amount of ammo in these fully automatic pistols (seeing a beretta's hammer rattling on auto made me laugh out loud), the movie delivered exactly what it planned on delivering, and so much more. I'll agree that the romance was nonexistant (better than the Matrix IMO) and Michael's character is nonexistant, but to be a full-speed entertaining action romp with lots of twists, it wins. If the sequel is done correctly, it should tie up the romance loose end, or whatever. Either way, this movie is going in my collection :cool

Mu Satach
Sep 22nd, 2003, 04:59:22 PM
*whimpers*

Blast my damn Tuition Bill!!!

I wanna see this!

Sene Unty
Sep 22nd, 2003, 08:52:33 PM
I enjoyed it for what it was: a slightly mindless action flick with awesome gun fights and vampires...

My only complaint really was with Kravens acting......UGHHH

Brielle Acaana
Sep 22nd, 2003, 09:38:51 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
Two thumbs up for a sequel (I want more sig images! :mneh) :D

Me, too! :D ;)

Sanis Prent
Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:19:52 AM
I've already got a recruit for Diego out of this :D

Lariat Van-Metzger
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:32:53 AM
Oh reeeeally?

Sanis Prent
Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:23:34 PM
I'm a split second away from ramming a spoon in your eye

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:44:43 PM
Haha :D

someone else can have the pic, so long as they aren't an idiot

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:25:13 PM
The big black guy, use the big black guy! He was awsome! (sorry, didnt know his rl or char nic :()

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:32:46 PM
(uses spoon on Daiq instead)

Brielle Acaana
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:47:33 PM
:cry

What for you do that?

*bobs Diego's tail :mneh

Preacher Blake
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:50:55 PM
*straightens Brielle's curls* >D

Brielle Acaana
Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:04:59 PM
:eek

*polishes the Preachers head

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 24th, 2003, 01:01:27 AM
:eek!! well I never

Sean Piett
Sep 27th, 2003, 10:29:58 PM
Am I the only one who was reminded of Equillibrium when Selene killed Victor?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 28th, 2003, 02:43:27 AM
I was reminded of Resident Evil, actually

Charley
Sep 28th, 2003, 05:18:42 PM
And I was reminded of Thirteen Ghosts, so I guess its been done lots of times.

ReaperFett
Sep 28th, 2003, 05:23:15 PM
Johnny Neumonic did similar too :D

Charley
Sep 28th, 2003, 06:10:35 PM
As did Dragonball Z, come to think about it.

Actually, DBZ probably gave the inspiration for it, it was very similar.

Eris Alexiel
Sep 29th, 2003, 08:30:35 PM
what bothered me was the Vamps seemed too weak, they cowered away from the Lycans and I would've thought they could see in the dark seeing as they are in the dark most of the time.....

Preacher Blake
Sep 29th, 2003, 08:41:47 PM
There are no canon vampyre skills. The genre has never been able to agree on anything. Besides, how were they too weak? They seemed to have quite an edge on the lycans, thanks to technology. Man-to-man, OF COURSE a lycan is going to win. One is a strong-ish humanoid with pointy teeth. One is a much bigger, much stronger wolf-thing with bigger pointy teeth.

Eris Alexiel
Sep 29th, 2003, 09:01:45 PM
yeah but without the technology they seemed weak, I expected more strength of them, most of them didn't fight well without a weapon and I would've thought they have some telekenesis like powers or something....they seemed like they were tossed around like rag dolls at times

Preacher Blake
Sep 29th, 2003, 09:35:26 PM
As they should be.