PDA

View Full Version : Law and Order: Across the Night

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:24:15 AM
Continued from here (http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31956)...

Horse-riding. Dasquian couldn’t stop think about it all the way through the council meeting. There was a heated discussion about the Bar and Grill security going on, and when he was asked to contribute his response had been curt and something a rehash of what had already been said. It was only half way through that he pulled his mind out of the fields and into the walls of the Council room.

When the meeting did conclude he was dogged by a number of questions regarding the academy classes on his way towards the living quarters. Over forty five minutes ago he’d told Brielle that he would be no more than a quarter of an hour in the temple. When he arrived she was sitting on one of the benches just outside of the LQ, looking rather out of places as Jedi and NR alike strolled past her in their respective robes and uniforms.

Dasquian spoke, breathless, “Sorry I’m late…”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:34:42 AM
Blonde curls bounced as Brielle turned her head toward the soft, familiar tones. She rose to meet him.

"Dasquian, hi! Dont worry about it. Ive rather enjoyed just sitting and watching the people go by, wondering who they are - where theyre going...."

Green eyes appraised him up and down.

"I see you have your fancy 'go-to-meetin'- robes on. You look very nice."

A gentle smile parted her lips as she teased the Jedi.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:41:02 AM
Dasquian’s eyes drifted down to the velveteen outer-robe he wore. It was regal looking and gave him perhaps a much more important aura than he deserved.

“Did anyone bother you? I cleared you with security but some…”

His voice trailed off as Brielle shook her head.

“Oh, that’s good then. I hope you didn’t go wandering,” he chided, “I was looking forward to giving this tour.”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:26:45 AM
"I parked my speeder and my fanny and theyve both stayed put."

She gazed beyond him at the buildings which were now lit up.

"I know it sounds silly, but Im really looking forward to this. My father had been here before and even in the Council room, I believe. Sometimes, I would creep out of my bedroom at night and listen to what he and Mother were discussing. Heard some interesting things, I did."

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:34:55 AM
“How sneaky!”

Dasquian smiled impishly.

“So, where would you like to go first… the gardens, the temple, the living quarters? I’m not sure I’m permitted to take you into the archives, which is a shame since its quiet a breathtaking sight.”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:38:53 AM
"This is your show...lead the way! It doesnt matter where you take me first..Im still going to find it exciting."

This was Dasquian's stomping grounds and she was the guest. Brielle mused that this must be the same as he had felt their first night out...everything new and eager to explore.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:48:14 AM
“Well I think the gardens would be the best start, so you can see them before it gets too dark and cold,” he said with a nod.

Beginning to walk, he motioned for Brielle to follow and said nothing for a short while as they paced along a path. Jedi passed occasionally and exchanged brief words with the Knight, some giving Brielle a look as if to ask who she was. He made nothing of it. Soon enough the path that would eventually lead to Yogs Bar and Grill branched into the gardens, allowing passage through the high walls that ringed them.

The living quarters backed onto the gardens, in most cases, so the wall extended a long distance. It wasn’t intrusive at all, however, and had been partially covered by creepers and vines.

“Here we are.”

There were glow-lamps along the wall lighting the already dusky garden. Compared to most of the Coruscant, it was a little Eden and a popular retreat for a lot of Jedi.

Brielle Acaana
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:00:01 PM
It looked like something out of one of her mother's paintings - breath taking in its beauty yet a touch surreal by the evenings' light.

Color exploded from every nook and cranny and vines twisted and climbed their way up along the walls. Benches were placed here and there throughout and several people were currently taking advantage of them. The overall impression was one of serenity and thoughtful reflection.

Brielle turned a full 360 degrees, taking it all in.

"Dasquian, its lovely!"

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:22:40 PM
“Isn’t it?”

He smiled and, arms folded behind his back, took a few more steps forward.

“It’s probably the busiest place on the temple grounds, save for the bar and grill. It’s a shame we can’t open them up to the public, so they can enjoy them too. Then again, I suppose they wouldn’t be so quiet and serene then.”

Dasquian smiled and introspectively thought about this for a moment before he began to walk further on.

“We have quite a lot of wildlife here that has no other habitat on this planet. Especially plants… but that’s mostly down to Master Mystt.”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:27:51 PM
When she turned back around, Dasquian had begun to walk off and she hurried to catch up. Her eyes followed carefully as he pointed out different plants of interest and told small bits of information about how the garden came into being.

"Its a good thing that Im not the one in charge of keeping all this green. Im terrible with plants."

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:33:26 PM
Dasquian glanced sidelong and smiled.

“I can’t say I look for horticultural experience in a woman, so that’s quite alright.”

He continued on, and pointed out a few little insects or critters hiding in the bushes. One particularly large bush seemed to house a veritable platter of wildlife.

“I’ve heard stories about that one,” he said with a suspicious noise at the conspicuous bush.

“Interesting stories about people having broken into the grounds and… well…”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:37:00 PM
Brielle looked startled at his words but as his back was to her, she quickly hid it.

Dasq was now pointing out something about a bush but Brie wasnt quite sure what he meant.

"Interesting...how?"

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:54:48 PM
“Let’s just say they were exhibitionists and leave it at that.”

Some students had obviously been listening in on what Dasquian had said and were now giggling like a pair of schoolgirls. The Knight shook his head.

“Anyway… we have fountains out here, but the Rooms of a Thousand fountains in the temple is far more impressive.”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:58:54 PM
Brie resisted the urge to giggle herself. Exhibitionism wasnt something the average person would expect to hear about on Jedi grounds. She grinned over at the students as Dasquian began telling her about the fountains.

"I want to see everything...dont leave anything out."

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:14:48 PM
“Of course.”

Dasquian lead the way to the fountains outside, where people were sitting around studying. There were some odd birds dipping in and out of the water, one of which peered at the Jedi as if it recognized him.

“This is the main cloister,” he gave a tour-guidely gesture around.

“A lot of the students come here to relax as with the rest of the gardens. We have one student who is particularly adept in speaking with animals… which is quite entertaining, and the explanation for why that black bird is looking at me like I just insulted his mother.”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:33:56 PM
There was a very soft buzz of talk surrounding the fountains and following the length of his finger, Brie saw the bird Dasquian spoke of. She had to agree...it was staring at him.

"Why is it singling you out?"

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 19th, 2003, 02:08:06 PM
“I think it spies on me.”

Dasquian gave Brielle a paranoid glance.

“I’ve seen it on my windowsill before and it just seems to appear out of nowhere.”

The Jedi gave a little shrug as the bird disappeared into a tree. He didn’t like to say, but he was sure that the bird had bore witness to his daughters’ conception.

“Ahum… anyway. Shall we move onto the temple? You can see all the statues and busts. Some of them are uncanny.”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 19th, 2003, 02:54:33 PM
"Of course, Id love to!"

With a gentle guiding hand, Dasquian led her along the path as Brie continued staring up at the tree the bird had flown into. If her friend thought that the bird was spying, then she believed him. If the black-feathered sneak showed up around the penthouse, she'd shoot it.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 01:12:16 PM
The walk to the Temple was not as long as expected and while talking quietly with Brielle time seemed to rush by anyway. They came up to the pristine steps, floodlit, and passed through the doors which slid open and closed with a soft hiss. All the décor was white and blue, with the antechamber spreading off into two staircases and numerous doors.

Large windows were just above where the staircases ended, on a walkway that made a perimeter around the inside of the room, again branching off. There were a few statues, of Jedi warriors spotted around the room. It seemed to be a busy place, with people coming going a lot, despite the late hour.

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 01:18:29 PM
"Im impressed. Very nice, Dasquian."

Brie lowered her voice, afraid that it would echo if she spoke any louder. She gestured to the upper walkway.

"Whats up there?"

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 01:21:53 PM
“Mostly studying rooms… quiet places to meditate. Deeper into the first floor you have the combat class rooms and some mediation and negotiation rooms. There’s a large number of halls too, and chambers dedicated to the memory of other Jedi.”

They approached one of the statues, which read ‘Kyle Katarn’ on the plaque. Dasquian smiled.

“They’re a lot of these around, especially in the archives. Lots of busts. Most of the old Council is there… there is even some of the current Council, although I’ve yet to make it into there,” he added with a smile.

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 01:25:55 PM
"I thought busts were only done after a person died?"

Turning slowly to take it all in, she gestured again to the walkway.

"The combat rooms - are people up there now? Id love to see them, if I could. Is it all 'Jedi' training or is it more basic hand-to-hand?"

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 01:30:25 PM
“Apparently not.”

Dasquian smiled and then nodded as he began towards the stairs.

“Yes, there will be people up there… and there are always varying things being taught. It all depends on the students’ level of experience when they come to us, whether or not they’re given the basics.”

They climbed up onto the walkway and moved on through the huge doorway. Already the sounds of training could be heard, with the hum of lightsabers and the like.

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 01:50:17 PM
Brie caught the fabric of his robes between her fingers, giving it a little shake.

"Could we watch them with the lightsabers? Id love to see that, Dasquian. Or maybe you could get someone to help with a small 'demonstration'?"

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 01:54:17 PM
“We can watch.”

He smiled and lead the way over to the first of the doors off the corridor. Inside two apprentices were practicing and bit by bit overcoming the gyroscopic nightmare that sabers could be. Dasquian stood with Brielle a moment before moving on to another room, where another student stood alone, twisting and thrusting his saber at the air.

Dasquian waved him down and explained that he’d like to do a little exhibition sparring. Glad to help, the other Jedi set himself up into a defensive guard as Dasquian drew his saber and ignited the beam. Knight and Apprentice clashed together, although it was clear that this was no beginner student – he had skill and control and was able to hold Dasquian at bay quite efficiently, although the favor was clearly on the Hallaeran Knight.

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:07:17 PM
She was fascinated in a way that she hadnt been for a very long time. What exactly it was about lightsabers that held her riveted, she wasnt sure. The Watch officer simply accepted it and fixated her gaze on the two males.

Brielle was so into the spar that she didnt realize she herself was making minute moves in accordance with their attacks and defensive counters.

No! to the left...look out! Hes coming to the...right, right! Dasquian, hes trying to flank you....now! Circle...circle....easy...

Her thoughts flowed and ebbed along with the men and she almost felt as tired as the student looked when Dasquian ended the spar. Clearly, the Knight had 'won' the encounter and Brielle clapped quietly in appreciation of the match.

When he came up beside her, Brielle leaned in close.

"You were wonderful."

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:13:00 PM
“Well fought. You’re training is coming along commendably.”

Dasquian wore that familiar smile of his, that just didn’t seem to go away, no matter what the occasion. The other Jedi bowed, and the Knight did similar, hearing Brielle’s whisper as he straightened back up.

“Thank you.”

He took in a deep breath. The fight had been fairly static, with blows being exchanged and no real acrobatic display, and so Dasquian wasn’t particularly worn out, but did feel a little tired. Handling a saber was no small feat and required constant concentration. He shut off the blade and pushed it back onto its clip on his belt.

“How about we go look at some of the less rigorous lessons now?” he chuckled.

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:19:07 PM
"Sure."

Brie followed him out and along the corridor, stopping to watch the other spars in the different rooms. It had been so far an enjoyable evening and she was pleased that Dasquian had chosen to share it with her. It gave her some insight into his life and she was eager to learn.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:23:50 PM
The next class they came upon had lots of the younger Padawans in. They were sat around levitating objects, or at least trying to. Dasquian couldn’t help but laugh to himself as he watched this. The chuckle faded somewhat as he imagined Valanya in that situation, with her little robes on.

“We try to teach students not to take the Force for granted and use it as a replacement for every day tasks. Picking things up, for example… or lifting heavy items. If you’re not careful, the Force can become a crutch and over-use can lead to unwanted consequences.”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:26:45 PM
How sweet the children looked in their little robes and she wondered if his daughter was among those gathered.

At his last words, she glanced up.

"Unwanted? How so?"

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:31:23 PM
“It is speculated that such wanton use of the Force can lead to a fall from the light. When the Force becomes trivialized, it is no longer seen as something scared, but just a tool to be used to strengthen us. When you see it in that light, you have entered dangerous territory.”

Dasquian grave voice trailed away, dipping into silence at his last words – an odd contrast to the quaint picture of the Younglings training in front of them. Turning, Dasquian moved on without a word.

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:35:25 PM
Silently, she trailed behind him for a bit , wondering if she hadnt accidentally put her nose somewhere it shouldnt be. Perhaps later she would ask why the question seemed to upset him but for now, she let it alone.

"Whats next on the tour?"

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:39:18 PM
“I think this is one of the empathy classes,”

He replied as he glanced into one of the open doorways.

“That’s what I’m trying to develop my skills in, actually. Being able to sense emotions, feelings… and use that information to solve a problem, or even stop it before it arises.”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:43:17 PM
"How good are you at t?"

She was sincere. Brielle really did want to learn more about Dasquian and the Jedi way of life.

"Ive got an idea...try it out on me. Im offering my services."

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:50:10 PM
“Oh, I’m only beginning to learn,” Dasquian replied with a modest smile.

“I can just sense someone’s general… mood at the moment, but I suppose I could have a go.”

He took in a deep breath and began to concentrate, his gaze focused on Brielle’s. His eyes narrowed slightly and although she would not be able to tell, Dasquian was drawing upon the Force to try and decipher Brielle’s ‘aura’.

“You’re feeling… happy. Curious. Excited,” he said, “But then that isn’t very specific… anyone could have guessed that. Like I said, I’m just learning…”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:54:13 PM
Quickly, she shot glances up and down the corridor and grinned when noone was within sight. Leaning up, she kissed him gently.

"What am I feeling now?"

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:56:51 PM
“Ahum…”

Dasquian cast his gaze downwards. He was convinced the class of empathy students he just felt his mood change to timid and swore that he heard one of them giggling.

“Playful?” he hazarded.

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:59:52 PM
"Close enough - playful, mischievious...anything to make you smile again. Im sorry if I asked something I shouldnt have, Dasquian. I didnt mean to make you feel badly."

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 03:05:31 PM
“No, you didn’t.”

He shook his head, “It’s just a shame to think that some people fall pray to that.”

He gave a little sigh then smiled, “Best not to think about it. I suppose it’s like if one of the Watch officers goes bad. People don’t expect it, even though you can slowly seeing it happening.”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 03:07:21 PM
Brielle was thoughtful as they slowly meandered along the corridor.

"Ive seen it happen once but I wasnt surprised by it. He just seemed like the type to me. Is this something thats happening now to one of your friends?"

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 03:10:18 PM
“No, but I have heard many stories of Knights, even Masters, slipping. The Darkside can be appealing in times of sadness. Some people will lead you to believe it is the easy way out…”

Dasquian shook his head, “There is nothing easy about it.”

He felt morose all of a sudden. Luckily there was a star finding lesson to the left and basic self defense to the right, some interesting diversions.

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 03:15:18 PM
Nothing she said was right, it seemed. All she had succeeded in doing was sending Dasquian deeper into a funk. Withholding a sigh, she tried something different.

"What would you say to just ending the tour now - picking it up maybe next weekend - and us just kicking back at Yog's for a while? I think you need to get away from here."

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 03:18:54 PM
His brow furrowed a little.

“Sorry. I’m just getting caught up in things I shouldn’t even be worried about.”

This was supposed to be her tour. He was trying to give Brielle an interesting evening and seemed to have been succeeded up until a few minutes ago. With a shake of his head, he looked back up at her.

“We still haven’t seen the room of a thousand fountains. How about we drop by there as our last port of call before I show you my room?” he asked, a lot more brightly.

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 03:27:48 PM
She stopped and took one of his hands between her own.

"I want us to always be honest with each other, alright?"

The Knight opened his mouth to speak but she held up a finger, halting him.

"I know its not always easy for you, this life couldnt be and especially with having a young child to take care of. You have so many things to do that Ive been feeling a bit guilty about spending so much time together."

Her green eyes searched the violet ones above her.

"If youre really not in the mood to continue this tonight, I can always come back. We dont have to do this right now, if you dont feel like it."

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 03:32:58 PM
“No,” Dasquian made a quiet protest.

He wanted to spend a pleasant evening with Brielle, and this certainly wasn’t the way he wanted to end it.

“Maybe we can go see the fountains in the morning when its light?”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 03:35:58 PM
"That sounds wonderful. Id love to."

Unless she was very mistaken, an invitation to spend the night was hidden in his words. Brie smiled. There was nothing she would like to do more.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 20th, 2003, 03:40:46 PM
“I’m afraid it’s not quite as luxurious as your place, as I’ve told you. I hope Sejah doesn’t mind.”

He turned, with Brielle following, and made back towards the exit and where they had come from. Again, the walk didn’t seem to take so long, especially since they were beelining for the LQ. Dasquian and Sejah’s room was quite close to the entrance, on the first floor. He swiped his keycard and the door slid open.

“Here we are,” the lights flickered on to reveal a modest room, with a kitchenette and three beds.

One was neat, another looked untouched and the other was very much lived in.

“I’m not sure when Sejah is coming back, actually…” he said in an uncertain tone, eyeing Corin’s unused bed.

Brielle Acaana
Sep 20th, 2003, 03:42:58 PM
"Theres a chance he'll be back tonight?"

She too was eyeing the the third bed with uncertainty.

"Which one is yours? Doesnt your daughter stay here with you?"

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 21st, 2003, 07:42:43 AM
Dasquian pointed towards his bed – the neat one – and a small cot beside it.

“There isn’t much room in here, unfortunately. We were going to get one of the family rooms but there doesn’t seem like much point now.”

He gave a little shrug.

“It’s not the best situation, but I think she likes having a few different faces around. Especially furry ones like Sejah.”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 21st, 2003, 09:53:04 AM
"So, that was a 'yes, my daughter stays here with me.'? Will she be joining us tonight?"

Brielle wasnt too sure about this arrangement. If the child was going to be with them, her reaction to seeing her father with another woman might not go as Dasquian hoped. Or was he planning on Brielle sleeping in one of the other beds?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 21st, 2003, 10:41:15 AM
Dasquian nodded,

“Possibly. Aaron is still looking after her, but will be bringing her back soon. I suppose he is waiting for me to call to say I’m in…”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 21st, 2003, 10:47:12 AM
"I see."

This wasnt at all what had gone through her mind when Dasquian suggested her spending the night. Brie wasnt a psychologist but this wouldnt be the way she would want a child of hers meeting her mother's boyfriend. A daytime gathering at the park or even Yog's seemed to be more in order.

"Dasquian, do you really think I should stay the night? If your daughter is going to be here...I dont think I should."

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 21st, 2003, 10:50:17 AM
“You’re right,” Dasquian nodded glumly.

“You’re right. Maybe tomorrow. I’m sorry you didn’t get to see much. Maybe next time.”

Brielle Acaana
Sep 21st, 2003, 10:54:43 AM
"Dont worry about it. Sometimes things just happen. I'll go ahead and leave and you can go get your daughter...I think she might like spending more time with her Dad."

Rising on tiptoe, Brielle brushed her lips along his cheek and smiled a 'goodnight'.

"I can see myself out. Talk to you soon, Dasquian."