PDA

View Full Version : Superman sounds better, Catwoman sounds worse

ReaperFett
Sep 18th, 2003, 06:35:28 PM
First, rumours are that the producer that's been causing troubles for the Superman production is GONE. So now something might happen.

And as for the movie itself, word is that Brendan Fraser will be Superman in a movie written and directed by......M. Night Shyamalan.

Bare in mind this means that JJ Abrahams isn't writing the script, so take it with a grain of salt. Although Hopkins leaving might mean they'd rescript anyway.

And as for Catwoman?

The movie, set in Lake City, is the story of Patience Price (Berry), a veterinary scientist who takes on the identity of Catwoman in her fight against the evil plots of the cosmetics company for which she works. The firm is a front for the criminal exploits of the husband and wife team that run it.

This is a joke, right? By day a vet, by night fighting the evil doers of a cosmetics company? AND NOTHING TO DO WITH CATWOMAN???

Phantom
Sep 18th, 2003, 06:44:30 PM
Dear god, are they purposely trying to kill DC?

Quick everyone run out and make a movie based on comics to try and get a piece of the action Marvel currently has, never mind if there crap or not and if it ruins a good name.

DC what are you thinking?

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 18th, 2003, 07:43:37 PM
Superman might work but I wouldn't put Fraiser in there I think he is too comedic. And if M. Night Shyamalan is directing the series will be going in the right direction. Catwoman well no comment sounds like its going to be a bad movie. Bad like Batman and Robin bad.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 18th, 2003, 07:53:20 PM
I think Fraser could be a GREAT Clark Kent.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:10:23 PM
Dont care who Superman is. Just the word Shyamalam is enough to get me interested.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:19:59 PM
Fraser would make a good Superman. Not sure if Shyamalan is a good choice for non-horror/suspense though.

Ryan Pode
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:22:22 PM
Fraser could be a good superman...

Sene Unty
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:25:26 PM
I think Shymalan has a good eye for angles and I hate type casting directors into certain genre. Besides, maybe Superman could use a bit of suspense thrown in! :D

I've always liked Frasier, escpecially in movies where he isn't playing an idiot, like Gods and Monsters. That was a terrific movie....

ReaperFett
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:34:32 PM
I can't see Fraser as anything else but a goofy type, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Sene Unty
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:37:07 PM
He can have emotion when he wants to....but then again I find that to be true with most comedic actors. Some people don't realize how much it takes to play silly right...

Jinn Fizz
Sep 20th, 2003, 08:22:49 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Dont care who Superman is. Just the word Shyamalam is enough to get me interested.

Wow, same here...the idea of M. Night Shyamalan making a Superman movie is inspired genius. It could definitely be the best Superman movie yet.

I also happen to love Brendan Fraser...it's true that he's most well-known for his comedic roles, but he's also capable of doing serious stuff. His comedic talents could lend themselves quite well to the Clark Kent stuff--he'd most certainly be a bumbling Clark Kent :)--and I think he'd also make a very fine Superman.

This whole idea is very intriguing, it would be a movie I'd definitley be looking forward to.

Catwoman, though...oy, what a horrible idea, if that's truly what the movie will be about. Yes, nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with Catwoman as she was created in the Batman comics. I like and respect Halle Berry, but if this is really the storyline of the Catwoman movie, I hope it tanks. It deserves to.

And speaking of Catwoman, anybody here seen the Catwoman Barbie that's coming out next year? I've gotta get this one!

JMK
Sep 20th, 2003, 10:27:30 AM
I can't take Fraser seriously at all. Every time I see him all I think about is Encino Man and George of the Jungle. A little less often I think of Dudley Do-Right and Chazz from Airheads. Maybe I could deal with him as a dorky, clueless Clark Kent, but never as the Man of Steel.

Ryan Pode
Sep 20th, 2003, 10:39:15 AM
Go see Gods and Monsters...

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2003, 10:39:37 AM
Unless he flies into a tree :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 20th, 2003, 01:20:19 PM
Gods and Monsters was too weird for me.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Sep 21st, 2003, 12:59:38 AM
And Dean Cain was a great Superman...

*gags himself with a belt to keep from busting up laugning*

Jinn Fizz
Sep 21st, 2003, 10:19:17 AM
I learned not to pre-judge any casting idea back in the late 80's, when they first announced that Michael Keaton had been cast to play Batman. I thought it was a horrible, horrible idea. Then I saw the movie, and felt like I owed Michael Keaton an apology, he was that effective in the role. I still think he was the best Batman so far.

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 21st, 2003, 06:04:59 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
Wow, same here...the idea of M. Night Shyamalan making a Superman movie is inspired genius. It could definitely be the best Superman movie yet.

I also happen to love Brendan Fraser...it's true that he's most well-known for his comedic roles, but he's also capable of doing serious stuff. His comedic talents could lend themselves quite well to the Clark Kent stuff--he'd most certainly be a bumbling Clark Kent :)--and I think he'd also make a very fine Superman.

This whole idea is very intriguing, it would be a movie I'd definitley be looking forward to.

Catwoman, though...oy, what a horrible idea, if that's truly what the movie will be about. Yes, nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with Catwoman as she was created in the Batman comics. I like and respect Halle Berry, but if this is really the storyline of the Catwoman movie, I hope it tanks. It deserves to.

And speaking of Catwoman, anybody here seen the Catwoman Barbie that's coming out next year? I've gotta get this one!

I happen to agree with Fizz on this one, I think M. Night Shyamalan direction on Superman would an highly inspired effort. And would encourage Brendan Fraser to put forth his best performance yet, by casting him in a role far more serious than any thing he has done before. Gods and Monsters was a beautiful and poignant movie dealing with legendary Universal horror director, James Whale. The man that brought us such timeless classics as Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Invisible Man, and The Old Dark House. Very insightful movie that candidly took you deep into the life of this private Hollywood personality. Though Brendan Fraser did not steal the movie, he gave solid support to Ian McKellen's austere and poignant performance as the openly homosexual aged director whom is suffering ailing health and a stroke that left his sense of reality confused. Great Movie!

But I am sure M. Night Shyamalan could work with Brendan.

jjwr
Sep 22nd, 2003, 04:36:19 AM
I have no problem with either of those choices. If Dean Cain can pull off a very believable Superman then I'm sure Fraiser can. And M. N S directing, how can you go wrong?

Anyone else feel they just need to bring back Hackman as Luthor? They can make him look a bit younger and he's still a great actor. He was such a good Luthor.

Then theres the theme song, what would be the coolest thing for a teaser trailer on this would be a totally black screen and they just blare the classic Superman intro, something about the Man of Steel like you've never seen him before and then just the big Red Chest Logo in the middle of the screen with a date on the bottom.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:26:59 AM
I would go with somebody else for Luthor not sure who. Gary Oldman maybe?

Figrin D'an
Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:37:26 AM
I think attempting to tie this Superman project in with the films done in the late 70's/early 80's would be a big mistake. It sets up a certain expectation in the mind of the audience, and if people weren't to get to see the original film reduxed, they'd be disappointed. The best thing the new Superman project can do is distance itself as much as possible from the Reeves/Hackman films. There will still be comparisons, but they likely won't be nearly as critical.

The other big question is, of course... who's going to play Lois Lane?

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:43:00 AM
I am. :mneh

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:54:57 AM
I heard they were looking at Keri Russell at one time but that was with Ratner, not sure who they are looking at now.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:16:32 PM
Also they seem to be looking at more unknowns now Bomer and Cavil are the names I am hearing.

Figrin D'an
Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:33:52 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I am. :mneh

There's goes that project.

:p

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:39:08 PM
Meany! :cry

Besides, acting across Brendan Fraiser.. .. *swoon* I'd be useless.

imported_Akrabbim
Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:36:34 PM
How about Patrick Stewart as Luthor?

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:27:39 PM
Or how about Daniel Day Lewis as Lex Luthor?

Mu Satach
Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:52:15 PM
This is the 1st positive news I've heard in a long time regarding Superman... MKS that would be fricken A cool.

And Fraiser does drama well:
School Ties, With Honors, The Twilight of the Golds, The Quiet American... havn't seen Gods & Monsters yet... *makes a note to check it out*

hmmm.... as for Lex... I have a soft spot in my heart for Alan Rickman for any villinous role... but thats me. :D

as far as Catwoman... >_<
kill it now.

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:58:00 PM
Alan Rickman? No way, he was someone at one time, I felt had tremendous potential in Hollywood but since Die Hard, Alan has been type-cast and can't seem to break into headlining status.

Mu Satach
Sep 22nd, 2003, 06:13:29 PM
I said I had a soft spot for him and that it was just me. :)

He's the only thing I like about the Harry Potter flicks and I'm in love with his performaces in Galaxy Quest and Dogma... he just has this terrible lovely snotty apeal to him even when he's totally dissing on you... you can't help but like him.

To me... he'd make a GREAT Lex.

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 22nd, 2003, 07:03:19 PM
No, I like Alan Rickman myself. He can be so conniving and snotty in his roles, he really hams it up. But M.N.S needs a bigger name.

Ryan Pode
Sep 22nd, 2003, 07:13:53 PM
I love Alan Rickman, don't get me wrong, but I just don't see him being a good Lex. Gene Hackman can still do it.

Jedieb
Sep 22nd, 2003, 07:29:47 PM
Alan Rickman would be incredible! I don't think Hackman wouuld be intereseted. Plus, when he did the role the first time around he played the role much more comedic than serious and I hope that's not what they have in store this time around.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 22nd, 2003, 08:34:53 PM
I agree Jedieb. Also about Rickman, he would work though I think he might be busy with Harry Potter. And who says Rickman is a has been, he is great as Snape. Daniel Day Lewis would work. There are other actors, what about Jason Issacs I could see him pulling it off.

ReaperFett
Sep 22nd, 2003, 08:38:45 PM
Didnt all these people get suggested for the Batman bad guy? ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 22nd, 2003, 08:41:35 PM
lol I don't Lewis did. And I don't think I put Issacs in there. But the rest did.

imported_Akrabbim
Sep 22nd, 2003, 10:49:17 PM
How about Rickman as Ras al Goul? The voice would fit perfectly, and the mannerisms wouldn't be bad at all.

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:48:35 AM
Originally posted by Akrabbim
How about Rickman as Ras al Goul? The voice would fit perfectly, and the mannerisms wouldn't be bad at all.

Or Ben Kingsley? He would be awesome but doubt he would touch Batman! Who knows?!

Mu Satach
Sep 23rd, 2003, 11:19:29 AM
Ben Kingsley rocks.

Salvestro
Sep 23rd, 2003, 11:26:39 AM
Originally posted by Jhoram Hyde
Or Ben Kingsley? He would be awesome but doubt he would touch Batman! Who knows?!

With enough money anyone can be signed to a project :D

But I agree Kinglsy would be out of this world....

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:39:52 PM
Originally posted by Salvestro
With enough money anyone can be signed to a project :D

But I agree Kinglsy would be out of this world....

Kingsley is Ras Al Ghul allover. What about Robert Englund as the Scarecrow? Not terribly good or bad, but if Nolan squeezed the actor's best performance out of him ever might be very striking.

Kitty McQuade
Sep 24th, 2003, 05:38:11 PM
M. Night Shyamalan??? Ok, he's a director, right? I've honestly NEVER heard of him.

Ryan Pode
Sep 24th, 2003, 05:40:26 PM
Never heard of Signs? Or Unbreakable?

Kitty McQuade
Sep 24th, 2003, 05:55:17 PM
I'm out of touch. Not seen a movie since The Two Towers.

Gia Van Derveld
Sep 24th, 2003, 06:19:15 PM
He directed Signs, which came out last summer, before Two Towers, and also Unbreakable, which came out the summer Previous, or maybe even three summers ago. His first 'big' movie was "The Sixth Sense" with Haley Joel Osment and Bruce Willis, and Haley played a kid who saw a lot of dead people. All the time.

:) If you've never seen any of them, then I reccomend them all heartily. :)

Figrin D'an
Sep 24th, 2003, 06:19:42 PM
Both of those were around before The Two Towers was in theaters.

He also wrote & directed The Sixth Sense, which you probably have heard of at least.

Edit: Beat me to it by a couple seconds....

Mu Satach
Sep 24th, 2003, 08:24:29 PM
Originally posted by Kitty McQuade
M. Night Shyamalan??? Ok, he's a director, right? I've honestly NEVER heard of him.

GAGH!

*drops dead from shock*